Awoo.

Speculation Thread: The Third Wii U Exclusive Sonic Title

Narukami07

The Unleashed team is either working on a big title for Wii U, or a big title for multiple platforms.

Since this game was mostly by the Colours team (apparently), would it be reasonable to predict the third exclusive is something by the "Unleashed team" that's been in development alongside SLW?

It's always possible a main title will come out in 2014, but I presume it will be very small, like the contraction between Unleashed and Colors. Though that would be humorous given the fact the teams would be reversed.

I've got my fingers crossed they don't use Sochi Olympics as the 2014 game. I don't think they've ever had the Mario and Sonic game stand alone as a game for the year. Though it would make sense, as that would allow a spinoff in 2014 and 2015, and a main title in 2016 that would hopefully be much bigger than many prior main titles.

An All Stars game in 2014 would make sense given the pattern, but at the same time, what would it be? A racer would seem redundant with Transformed still given some attention and would have to compete with Mario Kart. A fighting game would be up against Smash Bros. It's making that soccer game sound more likely... but I can only imagine how bland that would be as the big title of the year; after all, any 2014 title will be at Sonic Boom and SoS and I'd presume they'd want something very enthralling.

Edited by Ogilvie

What are the odds of the third game being a tie-in to Sonic Boom the show? Given a number of kids' animated shows/ films have games on Nintendo consoles, it seems like it could happen.

What are the odds of the third game being a tie-in to Sonic Boom the show? Given a number of kids' animated shows/ films have games on Nintendo consoles, it seems like it could happen.

Place already predicted this on page 2. With much dismay.

Alright, I'm gonna say it.

I have this horrible looming fear that we're going to get a tie-in game with the upcoming CG Sonic Boom cartoon

aak.gif

I suppose it's theoretically possible, but SEGA has generally had it so any adaptions involve game material going into cartoons, rather than the other way around. Unless they were planning on integrating Sonic Boom into the actual game canon, I'm not really seeing a tie-in.

I'm also hopeful that the two will have almost nothing to do with each other, as that would mean SEGA is starting to give adaptions freedom again. Nothing is more obnoxious than when they insist on sticking their nose into every licensed work under the Sun; they may be within their legal rights to do so, but it's still obnoxious when it used to be Sonic had many different takes on the characters and their world.

I suppose it's theoretically possible, but SEGA has generally had it so any adaptions involve game material going into cartoons, rather than the other way around. Unless they were planning on integrating Sonic Boom into the actual game canon, I'm not really seeing a tie-in.

I'm also hopeful that the two will have almost nothing to do with each other, as that would mean SEGA is starting to give adaptions freedom again. Nothing is more obnoxious than when they insist on sticking their nose into every licensed work under the Sun; they may be within their legal rights to do so, but it's still obnoxious when it used to be Sonic had many different takes on the characters and their world.

I'm not suggesting they tie the show into the games, just give the show its own spinoff on the 3DS (where most adaptations seem to go).

I just had a weird dream last night about the 3rd game.

It was a downloadable Wii U eShop game, called Sonic Genesis (not to be confused with the GBA game).

It featured Classic Sonic, Modern Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles as playable characters, it's 2D, and it frankly looked like Sonic 4 Episode 1.

But the dream ony showed Cassic and Modern Sonic in-game, Classic was his 16-bit sprite, and Modern looked exactly like Episode 1. The crazy thing was Classic at one point looked like he had a mowhawk and punkish. O_o

I was not happy in the dream, I wanted a proper retail game (2014 main game) and it was like Sonic 4 2.0.

It's always possible a main title will come out in 2014, but I presume it will be very small, like the contraction between Unleashed and Colors. Though that would be humorous given the fact the teams would be reversed.

But the way Colors and Generations came out after another, worked out that way, that Generations was the bigger game.

I don't know if the next big Sonic game will be Nintendo-exclusive, but it wouldn't feel right to not feature it on a Nintendo console after all this talk of "close partnerships". Besides, Colors was going to be Generations Wii anyways, so going by how there's less of a technology gap between Ninty and the other consoles this gen we should definitely be getting the next big title for all three consoles.

I'd hope it's a platformer. 

A racing crossover with Mario is out of the question, because Mario Kart 8 was already revealed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Transformed just came out last year, I doubt they would do another racing game so quickly....

Well, Transformed came out exactly two years after the first Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing game.

It'll be two years, in 2014, since Transformed was released, so another racing game is very possible, as much as I really don't want one.

Edited by canderson

WRONG!

The original came out on Feb 23rd 2010, the sequel came out on Nov 16th 2012. So quite close to three years actually. I see the 3rd being in 2015 now.

Edited by Hero of Legend

ugh

Since this game was mostly by the Colours team (apparently), would it be reasonable to predict the third exclusive is something by the "Unleashed team" that's been in development alongside SLW?

wait didn't both team join into a single one for generations?

I'm terribly confused with that, did they join or are they separate?

EDIT: I WANT A NEW RIDERS GAMEEEE

Edited by Blutarch Mann

wait didn't both team join into a single one for generations?

I'm terribly confused with that, did they join or are they separate?

EDIT: I WANT A NEW RIDERS GAMEEEE

They joined up for Generations (which makes sense considering the nature of the game, really) but according to a few people who analyzed Lost World's credits, it's (mostly?) the Colours team.

But the way Colors and Generations came out after another, worked out that way, that Generations was the bigger game.

Hmm, that raises hope next year's game would be a bigger title, but Lost World already was a much bigger title by the current standards...

Transformed just came out last year, I doubt they would do another racing game so quickly....

Racers come out about 2-3 years apart, so a new All Stars Racing is possible.

I just wish they'd try something different like they teased.

Can't say I blame Sumo and SEGA for slavish loyalty to All Stars Racing; after Superstars Tennis' meh reception, All Stars Racing was deemed the best racer on non-Nintendo systems, and Transformed also got a pretty awesome reception. The company sees the cash cow, and it's gonna be making itself some hamburgers.

Edited by Ogilvie

• 2 weeks later...

This is a pipe dream, but hey, it's a speculation thread...I'm hoping the third exclusive Wii U title is a Sonic game (preferably a platformer, presumably of the 2D/2.5D type) done by Nintendo in-house or outsourced to one of Nintendo's second-party developers.

I guess it's because of Sega Sound Team's (excellent) remixes of Mario songs, Sega's general attempt at adapting the Mario verse with the M&S series, and Sonic Team's aping of Super Mario Galaxy with Sonic Lost World that have made this idea stick in my head.

Edited by Gabe Scrooge

It would be awesome if it was the overdue Mario X Sonic platformer.

Anything is possible, but seeing Mario and Sonic actually star in a platformer, while potentially awesome, would be extremely disorienting seeing them star in one together for the first time.

I'm all for another Storybook title if the gameplay is more than just on-rail. A pirate game is on my mind right now, that would be seriously awesome and give Sega a chance to cash in on the Pirates craze.

team-pirate-sonic-the-hedgehog-26382172-

• Thumbs Up 1

A Mario/Sonic crossover would be perfect as a final part of the deal.

It doesn't help Iizuka's comments don't match up, which adds to suspicion. He says that he's open to a third Adventure game, then says that a Mario/Sonic platform would be difficult because of the clashing gameplay... I honestly don't think such a platformer's gameplay could clash ANY more than an Adventure title's does. It seems like suspiciously specific denial, if you ask me.

Of course, it's pure speculation. I can only imagine how well it'd sell, though, with both icons in it.

Not to mention that since it looks like the Olympic titles are losing their flair, getting a new crossover franchise going would do well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hasn't Iizuka also stated that he'd like to see the gameplay from Heroes return and even release a sequel to Chaotix? I wouldn't be surprised if he'd like to give Shadow his own game again some day, or make Sonic 5. I don't think it's worth reading anything into his comments about a third Adventure, to be honest.

A Mario/Sonic crossover would be perfect as a final part of the deal.

It doesn't help Iizuka's comments don't match up, which adds to suspicion. He says that he's open to a third Adventure game, then says that a Mario/Sonic platform would be difficult because of the clashing gameplay... I honestly don't think such a platformer's gameplay could clash ANY more than an Adventure title's does. It seems like suspiciously specific denial, if you ask me.

Of course, it's pure speculation. I can only imagine how well it'd sell, though, with both icons in it.

Not to mention that since it looks like the Olympic titles are losing their flair, getting a new crossover franchise going would do well.

Guys... What if the reason Lost World has a lot of similarities to Mario games... Is because they want to make the gameplay similar, so it wouldn't clash with Mario's gameplay too much when the crossover happens?!

Pfffnaaah, that wouldn't happen.

OR WOULD IT?

I'm up for a Heroes 2. Better controls, different characters, and new levels? Sure, I'm up for it. I liked the concept of the first one, so seeing another one would be awesome.

I'm still fully going with the idea that the third game is either a storybook game for Wii U, or a 3DS only game though. I think that it would only make sense, I doubt Sega would have the third game in the deal be another main game after seeing the lacking sales of Lost World and M&S 2014. I could be extremely wrong though.