Awoo.

Speculation Thread: The Third Wii U Exclusive Sonic Title

Narukami07

Mainly I'm wondering now when we'll find out about it.  Probably not until January at the earliest, I'm sure, because they'll want Lost World and M&SOlympics to soak up as many Christmas sales as possible without distracting people with a shiny new title, but we've pretty much exhausted all the options here.  Despite which, it'll probably be a surprise.  It seems like there isn't an obvious choice.

January is a very optimistic guess, assuming it's another big entry to be released in Q4 next year. We'll find out closer to E3 I think, just as was the case with Colours, Gens, ASRT and SLW.

I wish Sega would start giving their games the same development time that Zelda sees.

You mean three-five year gaps? Not doable considering Sega's current financial situation, topped off by the company restructuring to focus on their biggest IPs and the digital download market.

Never mind it's incorrect to assume that just because games are in rapid succession means they have short development times. That is akin to that saying U.S. Senators serve two years because there's an election every two.

Games that began work in 2000, 2001, and 2002, if they had ten-year dev times, would release in 2010, 2011, and 2012. Provided SEGA staggers its games so one is starting work or partially done when one is released, the frequent release dates are not an issue.

That being said, SEGA probably does still have short dev time issues simply because it hasn't built up a buffer. Unfortunately, it's starting up longer dev times that's a hard part - if you want to start giving games three years instead of two, you need to pretty much cut the flow of that franchise for a year or release very short, rushed games to hold people over until a more polished game comes out. It's a delicate situation, but it's very doable provided you have the finances for it; there's a barrier to entry, and all.

As an example, SEGA could make a schedule as follows:

Begin a game in 2013, release in 2014.

Begin a game in 2013, release in 2015.

Begin a game in 2013, release in 2016.

Begin a game in 2014, release in 2017.

Begin a game in 2015, release in 2018.

The dev times would be staggered over three-year periods so there's always something in the works, but there'd be yearly games. The problem is that very first year as it would require startup costs SEGA probably can't afford. I think one of SEGA's problems is that it has difficulty achieving the critical mass to cover all the costs. Nintendo has the size and variety to spend a lot of time on each game yet deliver something every year, while SEGA does not.

With regards to spinoffs: an Episode III, a third Storybook, and a fourth All Stars game all would more or less fit the schedule perfectly based on their prior release dates. I think Storybooks and Sonic 4 are out due to poor ratings (let's remember that SEGA literally obliterates poor games from existence), so All Stars would be my guess.

With regards to spinoffs: an Episode III, a third Storybook, and a fourth All Stars game all would more or less fit the schedule perfectly based on their prior release dates. I think Storybooks and Sonic 4 are out due to poor ratings (let's remember that SEGA literally obliterates poor games from existence), so All Stars would be my guess.

This would fit nicely, but Sumo have been working on DLC long enough for me to guess it's not the case, and the rumor mill has it they are working on Little Big Planet 3 for Sony. I think we can scratch this guess off.

With Lost World's critical and commercial reception I doubt SEGA will be returning to the Parkour style again; if it will it will be heavily modified. Wether we are going back to the boost or not, your guess is as good as mine, but I still place my money on another Storybook title; weren't they big sellers?

• 2 months later...