Awoo.

SSMB Mix Tape Exchange

T-Bird

ssmbmix.png

SSMB MIX TAPE EXCHANGE 2009

The SSMB mix tape exchange returns!

For those of you new to the exchange, here's how it works: this is your opportunity to share the music that you love with other kindred spirits amongst the SSMB crowd. After signing up to the exhange, you'll be given a buddy to swap music with. Once you know who your buddy is, simply swap address details by PM and send your buddy a CD full of the music you want to share. Simples! The idea of the CD exchange is to promote a handful of your favourite tracks, and to introduce other members to genres and artists they may have not heard of before...and possibly might like!

A few ground rules:

1. To sign up to the exchange, simply post your interest here and you'll be added to the exchange list. You will receive details of your exchange buddy after the closing date for participation next Friday (3rd of July).

2. Only one CD is neccisary for the exchange, but if you feel that is simply not sufficient to fit your selection onto, feel free to send more than one CD!

3. Please keep all addresses sent to you by PM from other SSMB members confidential.

4. Be aware that your buddy may be from another country. Although it generally does not cost much to send a CD-sized package abroad, be prepared to pay for international postage!

5. Although musical diversity is encouraged, please do not send any music that may upset or offend the recipient of your CD mix; if you really want your buddy to hear a particular piece of music that may offend, converse with your buddy to make sure.

6. As keeping with tradition, no Nickleback music may be exhanged (as decreed by the order of Flint).

So, get yourself signed up and start putting together those playlists!

T

CURRENT PARTICIPANTS:

T-Bird

BlueFox

EXshad

Darkspeeds

The DJ

Pelly

Flyboy Fox

TitanFifty

Covskin

ENVY16

Jake

Vasco

dj Tifaheart

Biafra Republic

hekturr

Casanova

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• T-Bird

• Sean

• Vasco

• TitanFifty

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a Time where you have to have sent off the CD by? I'd love to do this but I go on Holiday on the 1st of July till about the 10th.

Is there a Time where you have to have sent off the CD by? I'd love to do this but I go on Holiday on the 1st of July till about the 10th.

Not a problem.

T

A friend of mine does this online, we all send him 5 songs we've been listening to loads/love this month and he puts everyones songs in one zip file and emails it out to everyone.

I would be interested if it wasn't a case of giving my address out online n_n the only online people who get to know my address are editors and people I've known for years. Sorry!

I would be interested if it wasn't a case of giving my address out online n_n the only online people who get to know my address are editors and people I've known for years. Sorry!

Can we please have posts from people who are interested, rather than posts about why you aren't interested?

Thanks.

T

Um...this sounds really fun, and I'm up for it, but just for simplicity's sake...is there a way of doing this without giving out addresses? =/ Like, for example, what if I simply PM'd my buddy a playlist, would that be applicable?

But yeah, anyhow, I like a lot of music, from techno to classical, but my current favorites would have to be...metal, with it's select sub-genres. Power, thrash, speed, progressive, industrial, metalcore pretty much covers my favorites.

Edited by EXshad

What an excellent idea 'T'.

You've already sent me a generous load of 'Heavy Metal' tracks (as well as the 'still awesome' 80's tracks and miscellaneous cool stuff you listen to). Heck that is only the tip of the iceberg in your collection!

Oh and thanks so much for putting that 'Girls Just Wanna Have Fun' track by Cindi Lauper... *shudders* How did I ever know that was a test...?

But yes I should owe you some tracks myself, I'll have to think real hard to get some tracks that fit your taste... How about country...? *SHOT* XXXXD

You guys, the point of this is to mail the actual CD. That's the fun part. We've done this before without any cases of rape.

Unless T-Bird says otherwise you should just assume it's going to be mailing a CD.

Um...this sounds really fun, and I'm up for it, but just for simplicity's sake...is there a way of doing this without giving out addresses? =/ Like, for example, what if I simply PM'd my buddy a playlist, would that be applicable?

But yeah, anyhow, I like a lot of music, from techno to classical, but my current favorites would have to be...metal, with it's select sub-genres. Power, thrash, speed, progressive, industrial, metalcore pretty much covers my favorites.

If you're not keen on giving out your address you can either send your CD to me, and I will post it on for you; that'll reduce addresses getting further than me. Otherwise we kinda loose the point; sending a 20 song playlist to someone isn't exactly much effort now, is it?

T

You know what, I've been umm-ing and ahhh-ing this for a bit now, and You know what. Put me down for it. XD

If you're not keen on giving out your address you can either send your CD to me, and I will post it on for you; that'll reduce addresses getting further than me. If you really really don't want to, and your buddy is ok with it, then I guess you could send them a zipped file. Takes the fun out of it though, and half the point tbh.

Fuck it, I'll do it XD I was just curious, is all. But yeah, it does sound really fun, definitely put me down for it. I've already got a list going for songs to put on the tape :P lol

Edited by EXshad

Oh damn I forgot to say in my other post that I'm in! I feel sorry for my partner XD

I'm in. Mine will be the most depressing :P

Great. =D I'm in of course. I'll probably send 2 CDs, I don't know. There are a lot of songs I want to include.

Yeah everyone who'd prefer to send a digital playlist or zip or whatever loses one of the whole points of a mixtape exchange - this is a personal thing. Unique CD, entirely reflecting one single person and completely personalised by him/her, from thinking about an exact track order the compilation plays in (rather than just randomly choosing songs from a zip folder) to doodling/creating whatever you think works as cover art (be it just text or something else). It's a personal from-one-to-another thing, the physical format gives it some value - it's not just some stuff you slap in Megaupload and be done with it that you can do anytime in three minutes.

I'll have a think whether or not I participate. I adore making compilations (there's something very geekily pleasurable in sorting out track choices and running orders for ages, finetuning every little moment, and I rarely get the opportunity to do actual comps with a purpose) so we'll see.

Edited by Flint

Yeah, the thing that appeals to me about the mixtape event is the physical interaction of it all. Flint would testify to me taking ages to sending out my last mixtape to him, but I eventually stuck to it like a trooper, rather than resort to sending it to him online, and I actually felt quite satisfied once I finally did it (not because I didn't want to, but because I was really lazy).

If you don't want to send a CD, you might as well just do this on your own time, to be honest. The greatest thing about the event isn't just the songs, it's being able to really connect with someone that you can only really get from giving them a physical something that you yourself made just for them. You're representing yourself by doing this. I'm also one of those who believe that sharing songs with others is one of life's great things you can do with someone. I send songs to my best friend practically every month, albeit in online format because her father really hates it when she interacts with boys, so I can't send her any letters.

And like Flint, I'm also such a fucking dork when it comes to compiling songs and determining the perfect order for them to be played. It's like art.

I don't know about you guys, but I get so stoked when I think about getting a CD from someone. I don't care if it's full of music I don't like. To me, it's like having a part of someone in my music collection.

Edited by Jake

Will there be a theme to it?

I think we're just going without a theme this year.