Awoo.

3DS special stages

Emmett L. Brown

I really like that this game finally came up with a new idea for a special stage without redoing the Sonic 2 halfpipe for the umpty millionth time. I really don't like that the gyro controls make me so nauseous I have to put the game down and stop playing for a while every time I play a special stage.

I'm interested in how people feel about the new special stages in particular. Also, any advice on how to reduce dizziness and nausea while playing them would be dandy.

Initially hated them, and i'm still not keen on the gyro contol for them - how does this make a portable game more playable!!?

However, AFTER getting to grips with that I enjoyed them - challenging enough but with enough skill and practice quite solveable.

My only worry is that S ranks on these stages will be near impossible to get with those bloody gyro controls!

I haven't played LW 3DS, but from LPs I've seen, it looks like the most awkward thing ever. The actual concept of the Special Stage is good, but I don't think gyro controls should've been used.

I love them, but I would have liked a non-gyro option for playing on the move.  To reduce dizziness, make use of BOTH X to stop and lock the camera, and Y to stop without locking the camera.  These two buttons don't completely solve, but greatly reduce the problems caused when you try to play sitting down.

My only other non-control gripe is I wished they had changed colour scheme/background each stage etc, like Sonic 2-4/Heroes/Generations' special stages do.

I seriously hate these pointless additions to games that require you to move 360 degrees. I understand the move it left and right, but needing to move entirely around grinds my gears.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hands down (or up, and everywhere bloody-else) one of the best features of the portable version. 

Would have been nice for a secondary control scheme (because playing this on the move/in public is impossible) - but honestly, I understand why they went this way in the end. Dimps have nailed the Gyro controls, adding a unique layer of depth and interactively rarely seen in a videogame that makes playing these sections feel fluent and rewarding for this virtual reality type gameplay. 

Been a while since I've punched the air after getting Chaos Emeralds, Special stages have become all too tedious/difficult until now. At least I can win/lose on my own terms.

Have to agree with Son-icka - when I first heard that the special stages were gyro-controlled I thought it was a terrible idea, but in practice I found it to be surprisingly easy to control, not to mention actually fun.  I do find it kind of irritating how some of the later special stages don't seem to have true routes through to get all of the orbs, but I've never felt nauseous while playing them and I have actually felt completely in control - something I can't say for the main gameplay.  It helps that death isn't constantly biting at your ankles, either.

So yes, an unmitigated success, in my opinion, even if an alternative control scheme for those who wished it would have been considerate.  That and cutting the lengthy series of warning pop-ups every time you start one.  They should just put a Help button on the lower screen or something.

Yeah I've been surprised that the non-hint-bubble hints still appear in-game even after you turn off hint bubbles.  Even the one explaining how to kill the final boss!

Edited by JezMM