Awoo.

Gay art student set to lose his virginity in public

Detective Shadzter

I'm very surprised by the news but I do greatly respect to the fella and his boyfriend although I'm unsure what's going to happen in legal terms though. Public sex is the idea that everybody does not approve of so it is risky. Interesting to watch though.

This is precisely why people do crap like this to begin with. It's "different" and "shocking" and "look how fucking original and creative we are! worship us!"

As if it's not abundantly clear, while I don't disapprove of the subject (I couldn't care less) I just don't give a shit about what this kid is trying to do because it's nothing new to me and I'm just plain sick of "shock art." But I guess you get that way going through the art school system and realizing most people just BS the whole way through.

People's idea of how they think its OK, fair enough. What worries me more is for their safety afterwards. This is going to anger a lot of people for the wrong reasons.

Yeah, I think this is a concern too, but I'd imagine his professors and peers have probably talked about the risks to him and his subject (no, I'm not willing to say "boyfriend" because all I'm seeing is someone being used "in the name of art."). I wouldn't be surprised if he's aware. I would hope nothing befalls him because of this anyway, though I think a responsible professor would've thought twice about approving this kind of project (and not just for what you brought up, but several other variables involved that I can't even imagine).

Edited by Zaysho

Surprised this wasn't posted sooner, it's been around for like a week or something. Don't really know what to say (I certainly won't be watching) but I don't find the sexuality to be relevant. Don't really understand why the article begins with "Gay art student" instead of just "Art student."

• Thumbs Up 3

when you've seen the shit I've seen, there's a level of appreciation for someone who's trying to transcend the taboos of sex in a publicly voluntary manner. it's people's choice to come see it. and I'm 99% sure they're not going there to see it, to get turned on. 

as a matter of fact, I'm particularly interested in this, because of what he said about how he might see his partner after sex. it's common to have this underlying view of a person after sex. whether it's good or bad, your view of them changes. 

in other words, I'd rather see something like this, than some orgy that takes place every day all over the world. if there's any outrage to be had, it should be over the unprotected sex that hundreds of people have at orgy parties (yes, it sounds weird, but it's a popular underground thing) every day, with people they've never met.

The fact that they're going to do it in public is what disturbs me most. Them being gay is so whatever. Even if this was a straight couple I would be disturbed! No way is this going to be in proper public though. It'll probably just be a "book in advance" sort of performance, with filming prohibited. For the voyeuristic crowd, it's gonna be an awesome sight to see.

God, I just don't understand why he wants to do this...performance artists really are crazy!

Art is so crazy.

I think I remember an art performance where a girl on her period would stand naked in a glass display and drip blood everywhere.

Sheesh...when are we gonna see a naked guy in a glass display ejaculating every half an hour?

• Thumbs Up 2

in other words, I'd rather see something like this, than some orgy that takes place every day all over the world. if there's any outrage to be had, it should be over the unprotected sex that hundreds of people have at orgy parties (yes, it sounds weird, but it's a popular underground thing) every day, with people they've never met.

Orgy parties aren't shown as 'art'. Really, this is just happening so the artist can draw attention to themselves. Breaking a taboo? Pffft, sorry if I find that hard to believe.

Jesus...when are we gonna see a naked guy in a glass display ejaculating every half an hour?

Ironically, there's some creeper at my previous college that's hellbent on doing something like this in the future so, keep your eyes on the newspaper...

Edited by Abominal Deadpool

Sheesh...when are we gonna see a naked guy in a glass display ejaculating every half an hour?

You'd be surprised... I actually remember hearing something while I was in school about a performance were the "artist" would masturbate whenever someone walked into the room/gallery or something. Don't know the name, don't care to know the name though.

This is precisely why people do crap like this to begin with. It's "different" and "shocking" and "look how fucking original and creative we are! worship us!"

As if it's not abundantly clear, while I don't disapprove of the subject (I couldn't care less) I just don't give a shit about what this kid is trying to do because it's nothing new to me and I'm just plain sick of "shock art." But I guess you get that way going through the art school system and realizing most people just BS the whole way through.

This, so much. I'm an art student (painter/illustrator) and I've seen talks by performance artists and most of them try way too hard to be SHOCKING and OMG LOOK AT ME I'M LIKE SO SPECIAL~ sorry, but that's not art.

For example, one day we had a female artist come in and show us photos of herself with wet cupping bottles all over her naked body. That was last year, and I still cannot unsee.

You'd be surprised... I actually remember hearing something while I was in school about a performance were the "artist" would masturbate whenever someone walked into the room/gallery or something. Don't know the name, don't care to know the name though.

..... .___.

• Thumbs Up 1

I couldn't give any less of a shit about him "Doing it for the art" or any 'moral outrage' it'd cause to the PC brigade.

Even as an asexual person myself, I think this may very well serve to actually degrade sex when it's making a public display out of it especially when it's a deeply personal and mutually sensuous experience between two people. I don't think I quite understand how you can feel at ease whilst doing it, especially if it's your first time, with 100 onlookers observing.

• Thumbs Up 5

..... .___.

Believe me, I wish I made that up. But then, my mind isn't twisted enough for that.

Can I buy tickets for this? :P

But seriously, is he nuts? 19 too? Sex in public?

Just no.....but....I'll happily watch, for Art that is.

(I'm not sorry, you can't make me)

Not the weirdest thing to show up in art galleries (what about corpses?) but certainly takes some guts to do it. Modern art is a highly silly world in general. I don't think outrage is justified, though, considering it is in a designated space with limited potential viewers, disclosed ahead of time. Oh and that all-important fact: it doesn't fucking hurt anybody. Kinda important to factor that in.

In a world in which almost everybody has sex and most media is geared toward sex appeal, the idea of sex being shocking is a bit ridiculous. People fuck, what a shocker.

Basically my view.  And I think the entire point of this activity is your last sentence - the fact is sex is still considered this private taboo thing and I'm GUESSING the point of the piece is that sex is not a big deal, even the first time.

People's idea of how they think its OK, fair enough. What worries me more is for their safety afterwards. This is going to anger a lot of people for the wrong reasons.

If people are going to hurt two guys for doing a performance art in a public but enclosed space, I think the problem is the people who are hurting, not the people who are loving.

I couldn't give any less of a shit about him "Doing it for the art" or any 'moral outrage' it'd cause to the PC brigade.

Even as an asexual person myself, I think this may very well serve to actually degrade sex when it's making a public display out of it especially when it's a deeply personal and mutually sensuous experience between two people. I don't think I quite understand how you can feel at ease whilst doing it, especially if it's your first time, with 100 onlookers observing.

Fun sex doesn't necessarily have to be romantic and it sure as hell doesn't have to be between just two people.

I still think this performance art is kind of ridiculous, but then I already have the view of what they're trying to get across - sex is not necessarily a big deal and virginity is not a big deal either.

In short, my question would be "why not?"  Your answer may not include "because sex is supposed to be".  Sex is whatever you want it to be, as long as it is consensual.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 5

Fun sex doesn't necessarily have to be romantic and it sure as hell doesn't have to be between just two people.

Didn't say it couldn't be. I said that in reference to the pair who are going to partake in this.

Of course sex doesn't have to be romantic but it's still a rather personal experience.

• Thumbs Up 2

My thoughts echo Olgilvie's and Roarz's, because the dude has a point with his artist statement: that all of the strange rituals, hype, and myths surrounding something that billions upon billions of creatures, human or otherwise, do every day and have done since the dawn of time is actually arbitrary and significantly much sillier than the actual act itself. The outrage and bitching is pretty much proving his point. I personally wouldn't have the guts to do it, but I don't begrudge him any for essentially getting laid.

• Thumbs Up 5

OK, Having Sex in PUBLIC?

"Hey man, want to see a movie or something?"

"Nah, Let's see a play where two 19 year olds are having sex!"

Doesn't that sound odd?

I appreciate this guy courage to do this for the sake of art, but wouldn't this cause a huge outburst?

Edited by KaBlamJamDan

Surprised this wasn't posted sooner, it's been around for like a week or something. Don't really know what to say (I certainly won't be watching) but I don't find the sexuality to be relevant. Don't really understand why the article begins with "Gay art student" instead of just "Art student."

I haven't seen it around any other news or social media site and Midlands Zone has only just posted it yesterday. Midlands Zone is an LGBT publication, so maybe they've included the sexuality in the headline because of that. I don't think they should have put it in, though. Just because they're an LGBT focused publication doesn't mean they need to emphasise the person's sexuality in news stories.

OH NO, TWO CONSENTING ADULTS ARE GOING TO HAVE SEX WITH AN AUDIENCE OF CONSENTING ADULTS WATCHING THUS ENSURING NO INDECENT EXPOSURE HAPPENS SINCE IT'S SOMETHING AGREED UPON BY EVERYONE IN THE LOCALE

THE OUTRAGE

That about sums it up for me. He has a good message going and like any good artist is also an attention whore. Let him do it and the fact this is getting such outrage is both the point and utterly deplorable.

Edited by Albator
  • Thumbs Up 3

I'm not outraged either. I think it's silly for anyone to get outraged when everyone involved will be consenting to it, and as Roarz said, they're not hurting anyone. I'm just worried that they might harm their relationship if things don't go well. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I haven't seen it around any other news or social media site and Midlands Zone has only just posted it yesterday. Midlands Zone is an LGBT publication, so maybe they've included the sexuality in the headline because of that. I don't think they should have put it in, though. Just because they're an LGBT focused publication doesn't mean they need to emphasise the person's sexuality in news stories.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/10/24/student-clayton-pettet-lose-virginity-gay-sex-art-project_n_4154703.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Google'd it and found it pretty quick. It's from 5 days ago.

"Are you are ready? Are you ready for bum? Yes I am! Yes I am!".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0zUOzkHwAE

That was a joke from Little Britain by the way from the Elton John Interview.

I don't mind. As long is it isn't outside in public. Indoors just don't go to it if you don't want to see bum, bum sex. 

and then ask the audience they what they thought of the performance.

Your cocks were too small.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, but as I said, I haven't seen it. I go on Facebook and Twitter at various points in the day every day when I'm not working, but never saw this appear anywhere. That's usually how I get my news. I don't tend to visit general news sites much. 

I honestly don't see how anybody could successfully copulate with loads of people watching. Unless you're one of those people who are more aroused by that sort of thing.

You know, the more I think about it, I actually don't understand how in the 21st century there are many sexual taboos (outside of disgustingly heinous acts such as pedophilia, bestiality--literally any kind of rape) given how the media pretty much uses it like it's no big deal (I can't think of a modern TV show that doesn't use sex, even if the act itself isn't shown it's certainly alluded to and talked about frequently). But again, this isn't what bothers me about the whole thing.

But I've said my peace and ranted about my general distaste for performance art and my personal experiences, so I'll leave it at that.

Edited by Zaysho