Awoo.

TSS Solves a 10 year old mystery, Knuckles was a dinosaur, Iizuka wants a Sonic-Land and wishes to rule over it!

Badnik Mechanic

Would love a Sonic Land. I would love to experience some Sonic roller coasters... It would be a blast!

The racoon Tails and the dinosaur Knuckles is rather new to me as well. It's kinda funny considering the Tanooki suit from SMB3 and Yoshi from SMW. People would probably say they're ripoffs of those two were they not changed. :U

Thinking about the Knuckles as a dinosaur concept, I'd think it would had added some extra weight to his past, considering the whole "last member of ancient tribe" thing and all.

Very interesting tidbits in there, and I see I'm not the only one who thought the Tails originally being a raccoon was similar to Mario in Super Mario Bros. 3.

...I'd love it if the original plan was for Tails to be an Australian as well, meaning Marine was actually an in-joke all along.

• Thumbs Up 3

I do think it is a good thing that Tails is a fox. He is more unique that way, and at the time, having him be a raccoon, I could see people screaming copy cat at Sega for having a raccoon character in the games, when Mario has something similar at the time. Would also be interesting though at the same time, because now you have Tails being a raccoon, and you have sly cooper being the same thing as well. Two big name raccoon characters. XD

Knuckles being a Dino, not sure how I see that working well. As someone else mentioned, having a dino as a pet like in Sonic Underground just sounds more funny and fitting, due to them both likely being species that are not in high supply.

Personally I think Tails being a raccoon would have been a symbolic move on the part of the two companies' rivalry. Not to invoke PETA, but Mario is technically walking around with a raccoon skin on him... hence, having a raccoon completes the antagonism. When you have Nintendo making hits on Sonic in some of its titles, it would be perfectly just.

Though being designed in Japan and not the West (which was more for the rivalry with Nintendo than Japan), I guess it make sense that angle wasn't approached.

Personally I think Tails being a raccoon would have been a symbolic move on the part of the two companies' rivalry. Not to invoke PETA, but Mario is technically walking around with a raccoon skin on him... hence, having a raccoon completes the antagonism. When you have Nintendo making hits on Sonic in some of its titles, it would be perfectly just.

Though being designed in Japan and not the West (which was more for the rivalry with Nintendo than Japan), I guess it make sense that angle wasn't approached.

Tanuki. Not a Raccoon, as has been frequently mistranslated. They are entirely different species.

Get it right or Tom Nook will come and get you...

Tom_Nook.png

Edited by -Paradox-

As I understand it, Mario has both Raccoon and Tanooki suits, the difference being that the former just gives him ears and a tail while the latter gives him a full-body fursuit (and the statue ability).

The Knuckles originally being a dinosaur concept got me thinking... and then I came up with this.

I kinda think if Angel Island had been shown to be home to more than just Knuckles and some smaller animals, it'd be interesting if they worked in a similar character, either as a rival or friend to Knuckles.

Edited by Zaysho

Tanuki. Not a Raccoon, as has been frequently mistranslated. They are entirely different species.

I'm well aware of the technical difference, I just don't really think it's important.

The tanuki gets depicted as a magical raccoon (despite being a raccoon dog) from my experience so from a practical perspective I don't see much difference. Either way, it would have been a bit too similar to Mario - though I'd have been happy with SEGA going through with it anyway. Nintendo didn't pull punches with making fun of Sonic, and so the favor should have been returned.

The Knuckles originally being a dinosaur concept got me thinking... and then I came up with this.

I kinda think if Angel Island had been shown to be home to more than just Knuckles and some smaller animals, it'd be interesting if they worked in a similar character, either as a rival or friend to Knuckles.

That sort of looks like a smaller version of Vector in that picture there from the way it looks.

That sort of looks like a smaller version of Vector in that picture there from the way it looks.

Yeah... I kinda shot myself in the foot with the color scheme, but oh well. Thinking of Vector was kind of a starting point for me to work out the basic shapes (and I say that much on the post anyway). I might alter it some more in the future, but I don't really have plans for it at the moment.

Yeah... I kinda shot myself in the foot with the color scheme, but oh well. Thinking of Vector was kind of a starting point for me to work out the basic shapes (and I say that much on the post anyway). I might alter it some more in the future, but I don't really have plans for it at the moment.

I actually think it looks better with that colour scheme, since I've heard that Knuckles was originally supposed to be green before his design was shown to focus groups (whether or not that's true, or whether it was still the case when Knuckles was going to be a dinosaur, I'm not sure.)

I actually think it looks better with that colour scheme, since I've heard that Knuckles was originally supposed to be green before his design was shown to focus groups (whether or not that's true, or whether it was still the case when Knuckles was going to be a dinosaur, I'm not sure.)

What, do people not like green and like red a lot more instead? I love green, but I know it isn't everyone's favorite color.

They probably did it to make it stand better with Sonic's blue and Tails's yellow.

Think about it - red, blue and yellow is more appealing than green, blue and yellow.

They probably did it to make it stand better with Sonic's blue and Tails's yellow.

Think about it - red, blue and yellow is more appealing than green, blue and yellow.

^^^ This.

Plus, it probably emphasized his position as Sonic's rival, given that he dons the color of Sega's own rival at the time, Nintendo.