Awoo.

what is the general perception of the deadly six?

nintega137

What does the general fandom think of them? Just curious. I've heard people talk about many elements in the story and this I'm curious about. 

I think they're the most exuberant monster's of the week yet....though admittedly it's not as if they had much competition anyway mellow.png

They embody stereotypes, sure. But they embody them well and that's what makes them so charming. It was a bit of a letdown how they didn't get a good send-off at all. They're too cool to simply get brushed-off like they were in the story.

I don't fully know how they actually behave in fights against them so I can't comment on their abilities and such.

• Thumbs Up 6

I think we'll end up seeing a lot more of then regardless as to if we like them or not. Isn't Zazz in Sonic Dash? Whilst it's to promote Lost World, when you think about how they all 'act' and how they're presented... you think we won't see them popping up in other things?

• Thumbs Up 1

Well from past games, it seems there's only three options for a Sonic villain beyond their introductory game. Either they turn good, are an Eggman, or die. Maybe the writers really like them and they have enough sway now to get them to stick around, but if not that, I don't expect to see them again.

• Thumbs Up 1

My opinion on this I'm assuming is incredibly unpopular, and no I haven't played the game but I have pretty much watched the whole thing on youtube as I don't own a Wii-U. So I know what the story is like - and I hope we never see them again.

I don't like them at all, and haven't really enjoyed them from Day 1 when I first saw them. I hate their designs and I don't like their personalities. They are absolutely boring, cookie cutter villains. Of course expecting more fleshed out characters in Sonic games I guess is a high expectation to hold the writers to, but I mean this just reeks of being stereotypical and more or less "safe". I think for what it is worth they could have easily done something different than to tick off a bunch of boxes off the checklist of stereotypical villain roles. How many other pieces of media have the incredibly vain, obsessed with looks sexy lady of the group? How many other things include the bumbling fat idiot? And so on. For as much of an interesting and intriguing villain Eggman is, every other attempt at putting someone else into the villainous spotlight always ends with disaster because they're sort of stuck I think. Sonic Team has a hard time with trying to bring more villains into the mix without taking away Eggman's spot as Sonic's number one nemesis, which is unfortunate as a lot of other series have done it well enough. 

The thing is Sonic just kind of steps into these situations with these guys and nobody in the story really reacts realistically or according to what is going on in my opinion, the cutscenes have made me cringe. They're flat and awful characters and I'd really hope that when/if Sonic Team tries to write in another big bad villainous group into the mix that they at least put some more thought and care into them.. Why should anyone care about fighting these guys? At the very least with Monster of the Week the damn things never opened their mouths to start babbling some of the most awful dialogue in a main series game yet (and don't get me started on Sonic and Tails' weak dudebro, trying way too hard to be cool jokes).

So yeah if they never return I'll be glad and that's about all I'm gonna say on that haha.

Edited by Meow
  • Thumbs Up 7

I don't like them.  Any of them.

They're all uninteresting, walking stereotypes.  They try to build themselves up the entire game and act like you're insignificant, but they barely put up any sort of fight at all.  The only difficulty in their fights comes from the shoddy physics and game mechanics themselves.  Then they just fucking disappear at the end, with no explanation or afterword.

I would definitely not mind never seeing them again.

Edited by Master of Disguise Wario
  • Thumbs Up 7

I didn't like Red Bowser much, I thought he was dull.

Master Sifu reminded me of that master dude from Kung Fu Panda except evil. I liked Kung Fu Panda Master Shifu better though.

Purple Crazy is really ugly and loud. I didn't like him.

Yellow Fat reminded me of Storm the Albatross but with a voice that makes me want to kill myself a bit less.

Emo Vic Monogna was probably the best of the bunch. I got a chuckle out of "SIGH". Otherwise he was just kind of there. One joke that made me laugh is better than none though, so I guess he wins by default.

I didn't like Girl at all though. Her personality shtick is one I'm especially sick of seeing, and one I find borderline offensive at this point. I really hate it.

All in all I'd say they sucked, yeah. Hope we don't get them again.

• Thumbs Up 1

And Zavok was a cool villain, his taunting speech in Sky Road 2 was the highlight for me.

Not trying to be an instigator or anything, but which "I'm evil and you're insignificant" was your favorite, exactly?  I barely bothered to listen to any of it.

I honestly didn't like the dialogue in the game much at all, other than the scenes with Sonic, Tails, and Eggman, so that doesn't do them any favors for me. 

Not trying to be an instigator or anything, but which "I'm evil and you're insignificant" was your favorite, exactly?  I barely bothered to listen to any of it.

Well it's not like he repeats lines dude. It was just a cool speech to go with the epic music that was playing.

I honestly didn't like the dialogue in the game much at all, other than the scenes with Sonic, Tails, and Eggman, so that doesn't do them any favors for me. 

Yeah well, I kinda figured. It added spice and some edge which is what I thought Sonic scripts needed after the blandfest that was Gens.

Edited by SoniManbeast

Welp, there's are art sites populated with Zeti fan characters and/or fan fictions, so yes, the Deadly Six certainly have developed a fanbase of sorts.

Considering all the other monsters-of-the-week are either mute (Chaos, Dark Gaia) or incredibly bland despite speaking (Black Doom, Mephiles), the Deadly Six were a breath of fresh air. They were flat characters, sure, but they were entertaining flat characters.

They kind of remind me of the robot masters from the Mega Man series; Rather flat, stereotypical personalities serving to add a bit of flavor to each stage's boss. And to that end, I'd say they succeeded.

Edited by Count Mechano
  • Thumbs Up 2

They're terrible which judging by past performances of Sonic Team means they're going to be in every game to come.  

I cannot imagine a more generic set of villains, something I haven't said since the last time a Sonic game came out, but this set of natural born losers seem to have been the result of a thought experiment to put the concept of a cartoon villain through Reductio Ad Absurdum until you're left with what we have here:  Flat colored body types with random pointy bits sticking out of them.  The only place they can go from here would be a kiki with angry eyebrows.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I think we'll end up seeing a lot more of then regardless as to if we like them or not. Isn't Zazz in Sonic Dash? Whilst it's to promote Lost World, when you think about how they all 'act' and how they're presented... you think we won't see them popping up in other things?

The series centers on Sonic, his best friend and sidekick, Tails, their never-ending search for adventure, and their battles with Sonic’s arch-nemesis, Dr. Eggman. Rounding out the ensemble are fan favorites Knuckles and Amy Rose, plus a rogue’s gallery of enemies—some familiar to Sonic fans and some brand-new.

10041321226_fdeabae8d6.jpg

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

Muhahaha, Blue Blood raises a good point... I ponder if they'll insert the Deadly Six into the cartoon...

As for the topic at hand: I don't really think they're anything special, but they're adequate enough as a rogues gallery. I'd definitely like some more development on them if they reappear however.

Takashi Iizuka said we'd probably see them again - like Shadow - if they got a warm enough reception. So who knows. I mean, let's be honest, it'd be weird to create several characters and not bring them back, but at the same time it all comes down to the profit motive.

They're nothing really special. All of them are extremely underdeveloped characters that I see as truly only serving the role to put Sonic and Eggman in the position of working together. So from that angle, I appreciated them, because I absolutely loved the interactions Sonic and Eggman had because of them. But, I would not want to see them in any game in the future unless Sega were to decide to give them more fleshing out.

Yeah, I will concede that the Six's personalities are a bit flat, but dammed if their designs aren't stylish.

I like them, they're the first non Eggman/Metal Sonic villains in the series that I truly give a shit about (excluding Nega, but I give a shit about him for entirely non-positive reasons) and I'd love to see them in more games. But yeah, if they do appear in more games, it'd be nice to give Zeena more character than "cold hearted bad girl" and Zomom more than "loves food".

• Thumbs Up 4

The entire Deadly 6 stay below the interest level on both design and personality scales. They're a nice change, but they simply weren't developed enough as characters to actually be more than what they already are and at their best they are only better than characters like Black Doom, the Biolizard, and Mephiles...

I agree with the notion that the Deadly Six should have been the Deadly Three, or something. I was worried from the start that Six villains would be too many, and while not as bad as I expected (they're all enjoyable at times), none of them except Zavok get enough screen time, or purpose.

Zor is just brilliant though. I really enjoy his dialogue. "Smiling hurts my face. And hurting you makes me smile. So in the end I'll just be hurting myself... sigh".

• Thumbs Up 2

I agree with the notion that the Deadly Six should have been the Deadly Three, or something. I was worried from the start that Six villains would be too many, and while not as bad as I expected (they're all enjoyable at times), none of them except Zavok get enough screen time, or purpose.

Zor is just brilliant though. I really enjoy his dialogue. "Smiling hurts my face. And hurting you makes me smile. So in the end I'll just be hurting myself... sigh".

"The opposing Zor hurt itself in its depression!"

If they do come back, can we please at least make Zeena more of a better character? I usually brush off sexist jokes, but this game laid it on so heavy with her. I get that it's just meant to be a mockery since she is a villain, but still. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't care for them much really.

I like Zazz.  He got decent screentime and I really enjoyed his unhinged animation style, especially his excited twitching as Eggman commands him to take out Sonic on Windy Hill Act 4.  He and Sonic had the funniest interactions too.

Zomom.  He's FAT AND EATS ALL THE TIME BECAUSE HE'S FAT COMEDY GOLD.  One of the most boringly done characters.  The sandwich swinging bit was okay and the "mom was right I am a failure" line came out of nowhere in a good way, so he's not 100% awful, though I do attach a stigma to him due to him being obsessed with food, yet leaving his sandwich by Tails for no reason.  So I relate him a bit too much to that crappy get out of jail free plot card for Tails.  One of the golden rules of storytelling - coincidence can get a character into danger, but a coincidence getting them out of it is bad writing.

Zik.  Cliché old sensei quotes dispenser yawn.  "You beat an old man, are you proud!?" was about the only line that made me laugh from him, I guess it being the single line where he breaks composure COULD be said to be worth the build-up, maybe.

Zeena.  She's the only girl, so let's make this count.  Shall we give her a progressive, unique, but still entertaining personality?  Nah.  I liked the aspect of her being the only one who doesn't completely hate Sonic but again it was done in a completely cliché way where she only liked him because he was a boy and briefly fake complimented her.

Zor.  Oh man he is the biggest mystery to me regarding his fanfollowing.  His constant in-game quips were super annoying to me, I can't stand his voice.  I don't even like him in a love-to-hate-him kinda way, he just bugs me.  Actually on my second playthrough I discovered he was better in Japanese, in both cut-scenes he completely breaks his composure to make this ridiculous noise whenever he jumps away to prepare to fight Sonic, it's fantastic.  Other than that though my least favourite.  Unlike the other guys I literally find nothing to like with him.

Zavok I actually kinda liked.  He didn't really do anything interesting but he surprised me by being an intelligent leader rather than just "the strong guy" as I initially thought he'd be.

Overall I wasn't impressed.  All the Deadly Six cut-scenes felt like Sonic Colours level humour again, but the fact that people are so obsessed over that copyright law line which I can't fathom why people think it's so clever and funny, means I shouldn't be surprised that people think the Deadly Six are cleverly and funnily written.  I dunno.

Erazor Djinn has not been usurped from his throne as far as Best Monster of the Week goes in my opinion (in terms of having a compelling story, Erazor Djinn wasn't particularly funny or anything).

Edited by JezMM

I've seen much more deadly enemies in the series than the D6. There's nothing that really makes them live up to their name.

I think they're the worst enemies both in terms of personalitites and design. I don't like them at all. No matter how hard I try I can't take them seriously and their threatenings don't help either. Incredibly cliched and badly designed enemies that were likely intended to appeal to little children. I can imagine I'd like them if I was 7.

Their respective boss fights are awful as well.

They don't do much in the game's story either. They appear out of nowhere, do some illogical stuff and disappear without any resolve. Good riddance. Hope I'll never see them again (as cool as it may be to have bosses in Sonic Dash, I'd rather have somebody, anybody else but them, though I understand it's a marketing thing).

Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 1