Awoo.

what is the general perception of the deadly six?

nintega137

I preferred Eggman Nega as an irredeemable pure evil enemy to contrast Eggman's likeableness but the lack of mention for him in the fanbase makes it clear he didn't quite pull it off enough.  I can see Indigo's point.  I dunno how much more they could do with the Deadly Six without developing them a bit though.

• Thumbs Up 3

I love the Deadly Six and hope that they do return in the future, but with more development. Has anyone ever took note that Eggman specifically said that the Zeti have an ability to manipulate magnetic fields? That's something I would liked to see be touched on more, and I would love to know the Zeti past, what other types of Zeti are out there, and any information tying them to Lost Hex. For the moment, I'm already impressed at how the Deadly Six managed to overthrow Eggman once Sonic decided to come in and help. Then Zavok overall plans kicking in were great.

As many already said, the Deadly Six pretty much have stereotypical personalities for villains, but that's just what I really love about them. I love how Zazz is a loud punk that get in your face and tell you that he's itching for a fight, I love how Master Zik couldn't tend to his garden anymore and show that an old man can still fight, and I even love how Zor thought this fight was pointless and how everyone will die eventually. Zavok himself had great strength, but he ended up also having brains that could actually push the group forward so they wouldn't just be walking around like mindless idiots fighting without a purpose.

And darn it, I love their lines. I felt Zazz had the best lines in the game overall, but I certainly won't leave out how good Zor lines were. Zavok surprised me when he taunted Sonic about how Sonic friends will continue to fall and soon he'll be all alone. 

Last thing to say is that the Deadly Six had quite a theme song. This certainly is one of the best songs in the game!

• Thumbs Up 2

They could be better. At the same time they provided a refreshing take on how various Sonic characters interact.

Zazz left the best impression, mostly because he's the only character so far in the series that can live up to the writers' actual sensibilities and mentality. It's clear he was the favorite during the writing so in terms of being the one character that they could get away with doing a lot of crazy things with, I'd be cool with him staying.

Zomom's food shtick really wore out after quite a while, but he had his moments. His level dialogue and the sandwich cutscene with Sonic made me laugh.

Zik was my least favorite. Completely throwaway.

Zeena was pretty good, mostly because I loved how vain she was. She'd probably not even be up for a fight if it wasn't for people exploiting her personality. Her being the token "girl" of the group kind of shows, but at the same time I like her simply because she's probably the least "evil" one out of the group and would probably not even bother doing what she's ordered to do, so there's someone who can be taken in some interesting directions.

Zor is probably the most unpredictable in a sort of predictable way. Here's another one I admittedly see some promise for, because ideally he'd be the kind of character who might not be a threat at one point, but eventually turns into something rather sneaky and deadly. Of course these are things I probably give Sonic Team too much credit for.

Zavok is... well. He's a serious Eggman. It works. If nothing else, he does a good job making a team that could branch off and become just as much of a threat as Eggman is. It would be interesting if a game had Sonic having to fight both Eggman and the Deadly Six while the two of those are generally squaring off against each other with different "armies" I suppose.

The characters are pretty flat but they serve their purpose well, and they end up leaving me a relatively good impression, mostly because these are personalities that Sonic hasn't really gotten much of a chance to deal with. They're pretty good if only because of the traits they bring out of Sonic that Eggman could never manage doing (his zinger against Zeena comes to mind).

So... yeah I'm 50/50 on keeping them. Even just being mere personalities I can imagine some of them being more than just that if they end up being mainstays.

• Thumbs Up 6

The entire Deadly 6 stay below the interest level on both design and personality scales. They're a nice change, but they simply weren't developed enough as characters to actually be more than what they already are and at their best they are only better than characters like Black Doom, the Biolizard, and Mephiles...

Um...to continue what I was saying was while they at best are better than (the 3 Bolded names) in terms of character(as 2 dimensional as they are) as an actual threat they still stay below even those 3 as they don't ever prove themselves to be one towards Sonic, even when they were supposedly getting stronger Sonic's immediate response to them appearing for their final time is just a slightly annoyed "I'm getting tired of you guys." They never turn out to be the Deadly 6 Eggman said they were and that kind of ruins their purpose in the game.

For their place in the plot they worked well enough, I suppose. But their character, its not written good enough for actual story trying to be told and it doesn't live up to expectations for a lot of people as they aren't made interesting enough or threatining enough which in turn makes even the serious/darker scenes with them actually feel like the story tried too hard, which also in turn makes it harder to watch more than once.  The 3 characters Zomom, Zeena, and Zik are just really a result of writing too hard into the stereotypes they are and as a result stay the most forgettable. Zazz, Zor, and Zavok while still very much stereotypes like the other 3 are, they are written just well enough for it to be passable, and they do have the better lines/"scenes" in the game.

Zomom: Is written as the F.A.T. one who loves food, is simple minded, but not too slow on the uptake. He's 1 good scene in the game and that's it. Anywhere else he's just eating, being a dumboat, eating, or thinking of eating. Not an interesting character, they did almost nothing with him.

Zeena: Is the pretty girl who has her appearance as top priority and easily swayed by compliments. As a character herself has no real good scenes at all in the game and doesn't do much. She does give Sonic one good line in her second cutscene but that's it. They did even less with her and has not much to her outside of the stereotype. She may not be actually cruel/truly evil like the others but there's nothing to really support this besides the part where she's easily convinced by compliments/flattery.

Zik: The old master...who likes tending to his daily activity of watering his garden but is also very much a Kung-fu guy...and evil? Has absolutely no real reason to even be apart of the story but to complete the group of stereotypes with an ancient wise kung-fu master. He adds nothing and nothing of value would be lost if he(along with Zomom and Zeena)wasn't ever there at all.

Zazz: He's the crazy one, he's very insane, enjoys physical violence, and has twitchy/erratic movements. He's a fun guy, never hold himself back on anything he enjoys like violence. Has a few good scenes, no real memorable lines, and plays his role well enough.

Zor: The emo stereotype...well while he doesn't live past the emo attitude, the lines he has that come from it are actually pretty funny and make him an interesting character to listen to when ever the the lines are spoken...

I can't go into too much detail right now. But to me they felt like wasted potential.(I sort of felt that way about the story too.) 

Sure is divisive opinions up in here. For the most part, I did indeed like them and what they brought but I will concede they are definitely lacking in the personality department and are mainly defined by their archetypes. However, they define those archetypes pretty well, even if they aren't particularly fleshed out.

Like Carbo said, Zazz works with the writers style of writing(i.e. batshit insanity) and leaves more of an impression because of it(probably my favorite Zeti).

Zomom is the gluttonous one, but he's never portrayed as particularly stupid either.

Zeena is so stereotypical feminine that honestly, it feels more like a parody than something you're supposed to take seriously; which is why I can laugh more than groan.

Zor's constant wangst about how pointless everything is just made it funnier to listen to really.

Zik is probably the least interesting to me, mostly because there isn't anything particularly funny about his "Wise Sensei" archetype.

I liked Zavok as a sort of evil counterpart to Eggman; Eggman wants to rule to feed his own ego, but is pragmatic about it and won't cross certain lines if he doesn't have to. Zavok is pretty much a sociopath who's willing to kill everything and everyone to attain more power for himself, and knows how manipulate the feelings of others.

As one offs, they're perfectly fine because as Dio pointed out, they're more obstacles for the heroes to beat than actual characters with real motives. But if they're going to come back, they seriously need to be fleshed out more beyond the stereotypes they've defined as in this game.

First off, I remain of the opinion that their designs aren't nearly Sonic-y enough.  As the antagonists of a completely new and separate franchise?  Sure, why not; they have internal consistency and variety.  As Sonic antagonists?  Their designs are just apropos of nothing, relevant to nothing.  Not even relevant to their own homeland, Lost Hex!  Although in that regard I agree that they and Lost Hex needed more context and backstory.  It doesn't even need to be much, just the odd line about Lost Hex being a myth and the Zeti its legendary inhabitants.  Something to give them some roots rather than "Oh, that must be the Lost Hex, now let's say no more about it."

Like everyone else, I'll run through them individually first and then give some closing thoughts.

Zazz: Probably the best of them.  He's the one who best gives the impression of being utterly insane and bloodthirsty, which is meant to be the gimmick of the whole group.  He's the only one who seems to have any emotions or interest in what's going on.  It's notable that - in the 3DS version, anyway - he's also the only one we actually see anywhere other than his boss level; he sets a strong example that the succeeding Zeti utterly fail to live up to.  They should all have been as committed and as bonkers as he is, in their own way.

Zomom: He's hungry and fat, fine, but there's no creativity in there.  Have him start literally chewing the scenery, trying to eat everything and anything.  Use his size to make him also a brute, a living wrecking-ball.  Again, he's not exaggerated enough.  He's just there.

Zik: Everyone else gets a mech, and he gets fruit.  Likewise, everyone else has a personality, and he's just dull.  As it stands there isn't much of a point to him.  I'm not sure how you exaggerate a character like his.  Have everything he says be a dumb koan that only Zavok understands, perhaps.  Make him dodder along with incredible slowness but counter attacks with incredible rapidity.  Maybe give him a very un-zen-like smugness in his own learning and mastery, too?

Zeena: I get that their target audience is young boys, but if they had to have only one female Zeti, did her whole personality have to be just a female stereotype?  It's not even funny.  If there had been more than one female Zeti and only one had that kind of personality, then that would be a slight improvement, but as it stands she could really have used a personality outside a poor rendition of her gender.  It's not like any of the male Zeti have "is male" as their sole personality trait.  To play just slightly off what's actually there, maybe she could be the bored one who literally doesn't care about anything that's going on and just fights Sonic because he's bothering her.  Also, maybe it's just me, but a lot of her lines sounded as if they were voiced a notch quieter than everyone else's, so I tended to have trouble hearing what she was saying.  I do tend to have my volume set fairly low, though.

Zor: Zor's pretty great, again because his personality has more colour - is more exaggerated.  The joke is actually successful.  So yeah, I don't know that I'd change anything.  Except maybe have him show even less enthusiasm - even considerable pessimism in relation to what the rest of his crew are up to.

Zavok: Not evil enough.  Not by half.  Even his voice often sounds just normal rather than a weird alien monster voice.  I just don't buy him as a tyrannical sociopath - he just seems to be going through the motions of being evil.  He doesn't even really have a motive beyond "because I can" - and that would be okay if that was actually played up a bit, but it's not.  He is a really horrible guy, if you think about it, but the game doesn't press you to do so.

So, all in all, they could be done better.  Give them a bit more history, a bit more context, a bit more motivation, a bit less sanity.  Actually present them as the threats they're supposed to be.  If they're so deadly, why do they need mechs, again?

For me the Six worked a lot, yes, we know nothing about them, but hey, until SA2 we knew nothing about Eggman's past either, and up to this day, we know nothing about Sonic's past too, and he is the MAIN CHARACTER.

What I liked about the six is that they are pretty much Sonic's Ginyu Force, they look funny, act funny, but boy, can they make some damage. One of the things that REALLY got me was how at the end of the game they pretty much won if it wasn't for Tails, and how even after that, they put up a good fight against Sonic, heck, when they attacked Sonic at the bridge was pretty much the point where I noticed ''Wow, they're REALLY out of control now'' and the endgame loves to show you how much they're trying to stop you, they're literally throwing EVERYTHING they can at you by Lava Mountain, and thats why it's so great, and I love how they got a lot more feral after absorbing the energy from the planet, Zazz didn't change much, since he was a lot feral already, Master Zik agrees with Zazz on going LEROY JENKINS on Sonic, and Zomom pretty much ignores his hunger to kill Sonic after Zik mentions the ''Revenge is a dish best served cold'' thing, then we have Zeena, who while on the other cutscenes wasnt that much trying to kill Sonic, but here, she went all out, Zor, who while throwing more of his hilarious lines, actually insults Sonic and Im pretty sure he showed some emotion on his ''ready to battle'' animation before the boss fight. And Zavok, dear lord. Compare his animations on the final fight to the ones on his Mini-boss and main boss on Sky road... Noticed something different? On the first two animations he's calm, collected and simply stretching for a battle, acting as if it was nothing, on Lava Mountain? HE JUMPS OUT OF NOWHERE, PUNCHES HIS FISTS AND ROAR AT US, All while saying ''LETS PUT AN END TO THIS'' while the epic guitar solo plays... And even after defeated for the first time on that battle he doesn't give up, and if his after defeat dialogue is anything to go by, EVEN THEN he doesn't give up.

Now to sum up the good and the bad stuff of some of them

Zazz- He was my favorite from the day one, him and Zavok, but he looked so crazy and his determination into killing something is actually pretty enterteining, in a weird... Kind of psychotic way.

Zavok- One thing I liked a lot about him, is that he's what Mephiles was SUPPOSED TO BE, a chessmaster, a manipulative bastard who sends other people to do his dirty work, and when they fail, he simply says ''Oh fuck it'' and go do it himself, heck, its pretty much implied he sent all of his teammates before jumping into the action just to study Sonic himself, and his boss fight isn't that much easy either, one aspect I really love about it, is that he kicked the dog so many times, that you can instead of simply throwing him of the dragon and beating him, just keep continuously beating him up, since he won't die, and you can keep beating him up to get some satisfaction after all he did, for as long as you want... Feels good man, really good.

Zik- I was expecting an explanation to why he created the Deadly Six, but instead, he raised only more questions about them, but you know what? I liked one certain thing about his cutscenes... He says that Sonic has a great power, and that he's far more powerful than the old Zeti expected he would, which REALLY raises the question about where Sonic got his ''powers'' to begin with, thats something that started to bug me after that point on the game, I guess I can't really judge the new characters for having almost no backstory, when the main character's past itself is a mistery for everyone.

Zeena- Ugh, I want to like her character, I really want... But everytime she appears before Lava Mountain, it just makes me wonder... Why is she on the DEADLY Six? She's not deadly, she's barely a threat, heck, I'd say the same for Zor, but he's probably there because of those dark powers no one else dares to use, Zeena's just... All I can think is that she's someone's sister, and she started complaining to her mother that her brother didn't allow her to be a part of his little club thingy, and then Zavok is forced to let her in...

Zor- Thanks to the characters informations, I now know why a emo depressed dude that pretty much complains about everything and shouldn't be able to kill a fly is part of the so called DEADLY Six, his dark powers really explain why they would include him to the team and tolerate his antics.

Zomom- I think Im on a minority here, but I actually like his personality, he's pretty much a way more interesting Big, but I'd like to see them making something else with him, yes, he is fat, yes he eats a lot, no he's not as dumb as he looks like, you can go two routes here, either make him a REALLY crazy eater that will eat anything on his way, including Sonic, as it was implied but never expanded, or give him some hidden depts, since he isn't that much dumb either.

Overall, I think the Six deserve to come back sometime, no need to be right now, but it would be cool to have a returning villain that isn't Eggman or wouldn't need a time paradox or a complete asspull to return.

• Thumbs Up 1

General Perception? Hands down the best Monsters of the Week that we've had in a long, LONG time...if not,ever. Creatures that actually have personalities, and are more characters than mindless beasts? Hells to the yes.

Now, I know that they many not have the deepest personalities when you really look at them. They're all just walking stereotypes that happen to be villains. However, I like them for the same reasons that I can actually enjoy characters such as SatAM's Robotnik: The stereotypes are well played and enjoyable. I generally prefer my villains to not be too generic, but I can make exceptions if I like the characters regardless.

Zazz is actually my second favorite here. This guy is absolutely nuts! Couple his near insanity with the fact that he's a Blood Knight and you've got a deadly combination (pun not entirely intended).

Zomom turned out to be a little better than I thought he'd be. Instead of being fat, hungry and stupid, he's just fat and hungry. This just makes me think of Gluttony from Fullmetal Alchemist in how he's portrayed, for obvious and not so obvious reasons.

Master Shifu Zik is an interesting case for me. He's the founder of the Deadly Six, and certainly has their respect. However, he doesn't really seem to be very...malicious. Sure he's evil, but he seems to be rather cheery. Perhaps this is just a result of him being semi - retired? I dunno. He's a pretty cool master, and he is the one to come up with the plan to roboticize Sonic, but still...

Zeena is sadly the weakest of the bunch for me, if only in terms of her status as a villain. I don't have a problem with her being a stereotypical teenage girl, but I have to ask: couldn't she afford to be a little more hostile? Her lines about Sonic's fashion sense made me had me in stitches, but that's just it. She seems to be more of a taunter than an actual villain.

I knew I was gonna like Zor since Day One. I've always liked the emo characters for some reason. Maybe it's because they more often than not look like rockstars, but I digress. He has some of the wittiest lines in the game, and I always get a smile on my face when I see this defeated little Zeti. Though I have to ask: why does he carry that blue rose around?

And knowing me, you'd have already guessed who my favorite of these Deadly Six. Hands down, Zavok is just such a great villain. Raticle King said it perfectly: Zavok is what Mephiles should have been. He's calm and collected, can manipulate people and situations to his advantage, and can kick serious ass when he needs to.

So yeah. Fantastic Monsters of the Week, and pretty good villains overall. I'd love to see them return in another game, although maybe a little more fleshed out and more details of their personalities shown outside of the manual descriptions.

• Thumbs Up 3

I enjoyed them. They're cliches, and I don't particularly like their character designs, but I thought their dialogue was perfect for the tone of the game. I enjoyed them as much as Eggman's announcements in Colors.

Zazz didn't have good dialogue but his voice entertained me.

Zik getting hit so hard that he asked who Sonic's master got a good chuckle out of me.

Not a fan of Zomom but his last words threw me off guard, made me laugh, and feel bad at the same time.

Every Zor line (except his morbid final one) was some of the most enjoyable writing this series has had.

Zeena was quite vain, but the characters played off it well.

Zavok was a generic "This isn't even my final form" big bad, but Sonic kicking his ass multiple times and embarrassing him kind of made up for it.

My biggest problem with them is that they're pushovers. They moved the plot in interesting directions, but when it came to battle they were a letdown. Yes, Sonic is overpowered, but they all got rocked even with Eggman's machines, after their big power up, and 3 on 1.They were NEVER a real threat to Sonic like advertised. Sonic could probably beat all 6 at once(why didn't they try btw?). Knuckles wasn't on Lost Hex because the story would have ended at Desert Ruins. In fact Knuckles really should have been there :(

They were fun, but they shouldn't be major protagonists if they return. The showed up and left(died?) without much explanation, and backtracking to explain everything is weird and almost not worth the effort. 

I think a big reason they ran with cookie cutter personalities was they didn't really have much time to develop the characters; even a half hour of cutscenes is pushing it by modern Sonic standards. It does lend support to having cut them down to a smaller number, though.

Looking over them, I'd say Zazz, Zavok, and Zor are my favorites for varying reasons.

Zazz: Well, he's just freaking crazy. I like wild, hot blooded personality types. Unpredictability is just an awesome trait and someone unhinged and energetic like Zazz, I think, could actually be developed into a foil to Sonic. Sonic and Zazz are both wild forces of nature, but they have vastly different ideas on how to be such. I also like his interactions the most; the first confrontation between him and Sonic was just hilarious.

Zor: He may be a depressed emo stereotype, but I like how it seems implied it's all just a put on. I think he's a nice contrast to the hyper Zazz and the charismatic Zavok.

Zavok: Well, let's be honest, he had the most development. Besides being strong, he also shows great intelligence. He even has redeeming qualities in the form of his respect and loyalty (and even what looks like genuine concern) to Zik, so he's more than just a "I'm going to kill my master, muhaha!" kind of person that you tend to see among villains. Despite his anger towards their failure, it looks like he cares about the other Zeti to some extent despite his immense sociopathy towards surfacedwellers, and this is another stereotype of the villain only caring about himself being broken. I wouldn't mind Zavok returning especially; I think he could be a good foil to both Eggman and Knuckles.

Why Knuckles? The Deadly Six aren't beyond compassion for their fellows, so I can't help but wonder if they're somewhat like Knuckles and got off on the wrong foot with surface-dwellers, perhaps making the wrong assumption everyone from the surface is like Eggman. I can see some conflict: Knuckles learned to embrace the surface, whereas the Deadly Six reject it to the point of wanting it destroyed.

Edited by Ogilvie
  • Thumbs Up 1

In my opinion the execution varied. Zeena, Zik, Zazz and Zavok got your usual stereotypical treatment. Zik's and Zavok's templates are simply inherently better than Zeena's and Zazz's ones, so they benefited from it. On the other hand, we got exposed to Zavok so much that it did not do him any good.

Zor stays in the template too, but not only he is self aware of it, he gets over the top with it. Makes you wonder why the hell is he in this team, or what made him such a nihilist. Too bad there are no (obvious?) hints about it. Zomom feels like written in two phases. First "foody villain" is written, then somebody decides that this got too stereotypical and writes him some self-deprecating lines. The latter phase could end up interesting, but again is only touched.

It doesn't help that Deadly Six just... are there on the Lost Hex. Despite alright backstory potential, everything gets ignored. We learned more of Wisps than about Zetis. And they have next to zero character development on top of that. So if writers didn't treat them seriously, I don't see why I should.

• Thumbs Up 1

Good point.  We saw so much more of Zavok than the rest of the Deadly Six that he really needed to be more than just his stereotype to be effective.  As it was, I actually found him to be one of the dullest of the group, so in a sense he didn't even hold up to his own cliché.

Zavok was the most boring of the bunch, but at least he didn't feel totally tired like Zik or actually annoying like Zomom (still liked all of them though).

I'm really surprised that Zor seems to be the most popular. He's definitely my favourite too, but from our initial perceptions based on the silhouettes and then the designs when the first trailer came about, ol' "Slumpy" was definitely the least popular of the bunch. I didn't think I'd enjoy him nearly as much as I did.

I don't really see anything wrong with them not being developed characters. The term "static character" isn't meant to be a pejorative- it has its uses in literary and dramatic works. They don't really need an arc or anything- they're a group of quirky villains. You're not supposed to view them as individuals, but as a single entity that happens to be comprised of incredibly odd and contrasting bad guys. Knocking on them for being cliches and stereotypes seems silly to me because it's exactly what they're meant to be.

I enjoyed them, personally. I liked that they had a lot of presence in the game: being able to hear them in the levels created a lot of buildup to fighting them, reminding the player what they're working toward and what they're going up against. One of the things on my mind was, regardless of the actual quality, "what is the next boss going to be?" so I actually think they were effective in that sense. That, and they managed to deliver a few good lines here and there. The only problem was that their sendoff wasn't anything special and the plot with them felt like it just kinda petered out. We don't even really find out what happens to them.

• Thumbs Up 8

After watching the cutseens of the game online, I have to say the Deadly Six are my favorite villans in the sonic series, them only comming second to Eggman. They aren't just "destroy everything!!!!!" that the monsters in Adventure 2, Heroes, Shadow, 06, and Unleashed were, they have genuene personality and outsmart the main villan, not betray him (they take advantage of Sonic's mistake to take control of Eggmans robots, rather than simply just kill him).

They are based on sterotypes, but thats just the case to use as springboards to put spins on them; just look at Zeena, Zazz and Zoir for example with that (Zazz is my favorite though; hes just too crazy smile.png).

Zavok is just awsome though; no villan, not even Eggman has hit sonic this deep before. Tails getting kidnapped, the deadly six destorying Earth and presumally killing Amy and Knuckles, and even Eggman sacrificing himself to save Sonic all show how far Zavok comes to trying to achive his plans. In a way, he has more of a drive to kill Sonic then Eggman, and he's been there since day one blink.png!

The story in Lost World is by far its best quality, all because the Deadly Six are such great villans, so I feel that they will recent possitve general perception; they aren't nearly as mindless as Dark Gia and Iblis.

Edited by RK64

I don't really see anything wrong with them not being developed characters. The term "static character" isn't meant to be a pejorative- it has its uses in literary and dramatic works. They don't really need an arc or anything- they're a group of quirky villains. You're not supposed to view them as individuals, but as a single entity that happens to be comprised of incredibly odd and contrasting bad guys. Knocking on them for being cliches and stereotypes seems silly to me because it's exactly what they're meant to be.

I enjoyed them, personally. I liked that they had a lot of presence in the game: being able to hear them in the levels created a lot of buildup to fighting them, reminding the player what they're working toward and what they're going up against. One of the things on my mind was, regardless of the actual quality, "what is the next boss going to be?" so I actually think they were effective in that sense. That, and they managed to deliver a few good lines here and there. The only problem was that their sendoff wasn't anything special and the plot with them felt like it just kinda petered out. We don't even really find out what happens to them.

In other words, they're the Ginyu Force. You're not supposed to take them seriously.

I'd actually be interested in seeing Zavok return, but maybe with other Zeti? Or perhaps even just by himself, or with some other evil force on his side? That might be cool.

I'd actually be interested in seeing other Zeti, but on the other hand I don't think they should take over the series, which they would start to do if even more showed up.

• 2 weeks later...

I overall liked the Deadly Six, they really grew on me over the months leading up to the game's release, and thought they got some pretty funny material that the voice actors did a good job with. Zik was a little irritating IMHO, but no one else really got on my nerves. I just thought they all could have had better motivation and more of a personality. Nickonaquamagna described in his review that they felt more like caricatures than characters, and I totally see where he's coming from on that. I would like to see them return in future installments of the series, we seriously got no closure on them whatsoever and it would be nice to see them get a little more developed.  

• 3 years later...

I actually rather liked the deadly six. The characterisation was quite good, however I would maybe go into their backstorys a litle.

Honestly they feel more like a Mario or Kirby Concept then a Sonic one.  And that's not a knock mind you, I love all three franchises, but honestly playing through Lost World I always found my self thinking "these guys would work great as bosses in a Kirby or Yoshi's Island game!"  XD 

• Thumbs Up 2

I outlined my thoughts on how I'd have approached them farther up the page (was Lost World really over three years ago?), but the short version is: They need more context, and they need to be even more exaggerated.  Otherwise, they're just generic stereotypes out of nowhere.

On balance, though, I hope they don't return.  In fact, I'm sure they won't.