Awoo.

Where do we go from here? (Warning: Untagged SLW Spoiler Discussion)

Chaos Warp

I see the charged homing attack thing like the kick. It's nice to have as a side-mechanic. Keep it on the downlow, never forced but always there as an option, and it could be a lot of fun to use (and potentially make bosses easier). Make it forced, like Lost World, and it becomes grating.

To be honest the only time I really found it annoying was facing against large enemies since they seem to take one heck of a long time to kill on the 3ds version and its made even worse by the fact that when you attack them there is a slight chance to be knocked off of the area because the homing attack has a knockback to it and it could literally make you fall off if your positioned wrong but besides that though I don't mind it.

When thinking of the topic title a bit more, I'm going to think a bit more on the experimental side of things instead of a wishlist for what they fix from the last game.

What if the next game is some middle line between the boost games and what we're getting? As in with the same sense of scope, progression and flow you had in Unleashed (as well as moments of unadulterated speed), plus the control, flexibility and versatility of this new gameplay style (and its more open stages). 

For Sega to build a "Sonic World Adventure 2" featuring more fantastic environments and a refined version of the new controls could make for "Game of the Year" potential.

Just imagine, big hubworld / entrance stages, all the bells and whistles that brought Unleashed's continents to life, but without all the unnecessary padding (or at least less annoying padding; animal collection >>>>>>>>> sun/moon medal count). All these crazy environments that have a sense of place, like you're really traveling through them.. speed being a reward and the reward gives you that high-octane edge, but platforming and exploration abound.

To have something like this would be the most amazing thing, and is the only thing close to a big ambitious concept I can hope they'd pull off right now that wouldn't just be pandering to a niche part of the fanbase.

Which, if Sonic Team keep playing certain things safe, will unfortunately never happen in a long ass time until someone steps in to give it some possibility of happening.

• Thumbs Up 1

*rotates in his big boss office chair, stands and walks towards the window on the top floor of a building*

.... ppppppppppfffffffffffffffffttttttttttttttt..... space?

I just think we need some new possibly fresh blood behind the series.. Look at all the well done fan demos (I use the term demo because most of their projects never get finished) that are done with a small amount of resources and a large amount of time. Given the right tools to work with along with great direction the franchise could go places..

We love ya Iizuka, but it's time to pass the torch over

*rotates in his big boss office chair, stands and walks towards the window on the top floor of a building*

.... ppppppppppfffffffffffffffffttttttttttttttt..... space?

I just think we need some new possibly fresh blood behind the series.. Look at all the well done fan demos (I use the term demo because most of their projects never get finished) that are done with a small amount of resources and a large amount of time. Given the right tools to work with along with great direction the franchise could go places..

We love ya Iizuka, but it's time to pass the torch over

You know, that would be a wonderful idea; have tailent like Taxman, the creators of the Sonic After/Before the Sequel, the teams behind the Sonic GDK, and many other tallented groups that work on Sonic come to Sega and form there own team seperte from Sonic Team. Maybe they will start out making smaller projects (3ds tittles, DL Games, DLC for Sega/Sonic Team tittles) and when they prove themselfs, they will take the torch and make a huge Sonic game themselfs.

Sega is trying this, as the Sonic CD remaster proved they are open to having fans come in and make projects for them, and with that example, look! Taxman still is helping out Sega with the Sonic 1 and 2 iOS remasters, so they still keep in touch with fans support. I would love for that to happen; I could imangine the Sonic Before/After the Sequel guys making a hypthetical Sonic 5 if given enough support :).

What if the next game is some middle line between the boost games and what we're getting? As in with the same sense of scope, progression and flow you had in Unleashed (as well as moments of unadulterated speed), plus the control, flexibility and versatility of this new gameplay style (and its more open stages).

You're not going to be able to merge Unleashed's speed with SLoW's control, flexibility, and openness. The only reason Unleashed's gameplay worked was because of the simplified, linear, and partially automated design.

I just think we need some new possibly fresh blood behind the series.. Look at all the well done fan demos (I use the term demo because most of their projects never get finished) that are done with a small amount of resources and a large amount of time. Given the right tools to work with along with great direction the franchise could go places.

I don't mean to put down the people who have worked on that sort of thing, because some of their work is pretty impressive for a fan project. But compared to what I expect from a proper, official game, something I'd be expected to pay $60 for...I don't think I've seen even a single level that I've genuinely liked. Not in SADX hacks, not in Generations hacks, not in fan engines like Sonic GDK. And I don't mean just because of a lack of polish, I mean fundamental problems in how they approach Sonic gameplay and level design, including falling into a lot of the same traps as Sonic Team has. Even if they can implement basic classic physics, they don't seem to have any great insight into how to use them.

You're not going to be able to merge Unleashed's speed with SLoW's control, flexibility, and openness. The only reason Unleashed's gameplay worked was because of the simplified, linear, and partially automated design.

Its more than able. I'm not talking about making straight-on boost gameplay level design, the idea I had in mind is more like the Adventure games when I talk about level layouts. I was speaking more on the behalf of level progression. You distinctly enter different areas of the stage that excite you with new visuals or things to interact with, or build you up for big amazing payoffs. 

In response to what's in bold, SLoW's level design is partially automated too. The sad part is that you kind of want them around any time you actually want to go remotely past moderate-fast.. But still, booster and spring chains are everywhere.

And the amount of speed from Unleashed could work in the new gameplay too if theres a sort of build-up, like via Spindash-boosting/rolling physics/skillful use of parkour altogether. 

You know, that would be a wonderful idea; have tailent like Taxman, the creators of the Sonic After/Before the Sequel, the teams behind the Sonic GDK, and many other tallented groups that work on Sonic come to Sega and form there own team seperte from Sonic Team. Maybe they will start out making smaller projects (3ds tittles, DL Games, DLC for Sega/Sonic Team tittles) and when they prove themselfs, they will take the torch and make a huge Sonic game themselfs.

People say this but I really don't think in terms of art direction and music anyone else can better handle it than Sonic Team. 

Maybe have Taxman and co. have a similar role to Dimps where they are working under basic direction from Sega.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd definitely take a Team Stealth-Tax / Sonic Team collab effort over a Dimps / Sonic Team collab effort any day, I'll give you that.

After Lost World, I really want an open world Sonic game. I'd rather have a few good environments with compelling missions and interesting things happening in the environment than a game that needs to be padded out with tedious, repetitive stages that I will never want to replay. Basically I just wanted to unlock all the levels so I could screw around in the fun ones.

I think I'd have a lot more fun if instead of 2 good acts per world with 2 or 4 more shitty stages to get through, it was 7 open dynamic environments that you could access more of as you learned more moves. This way they could continue to reuse set pieces without needing or trying to pass them off as new levels which results in some really cheap gimmicks.

• Thumbs Up 1