• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blazey Firekitty

• Frozen Nitrogen

• Silencer226

• JezMM

Wait... Some people enjoy bosses?

Well, I enjoy most of them. Admittedly the fight against Robotnik at the end of Sonic 2 was extremely annoying until I knew which points I could hit him without dying.

My all time favorite boss battle is from Sonic 2's Death Egg zone, where we had to fight The Giant Eggman robot ( don't know if it had an official name). I love that battle because it was one of the most challenging bosses I ever faced in a game (as a kid). It actually toke me several years before I beat The giant Eggman. My Mom and I would stay up at late hours into the night trying to defeat the game. When I accomplished that, I was running around inside my house excited, yelling to my Mom that I finally completed the game. Ahh good memories........... :D

Edited by Genesis

My all time favorite boss battle is from Sonic 2's Death Egg zone where we had to fight The Giant Eggman robot ( don't know if it had an official name) I love that battle because it was one of the most challenging bosses I ever faced in a game as a kid. It actually toke me several years before I beat The giant Eggman. My Mom and I would stay up at late hours into the night trying to defeat the game. When I defeated the game, I was running around inside my house excited, yelling to my Mom that I finally completed the game. Ahh good memories........... :D

That's actually pretty touching, right there.^_^

Wait... Some people enjoy bosses?

You kidding? With the exception of a few duds in the modern years, the Sonic series is actually somewhat infamous for having very creative and original bosses, and in no short supply either.

800px-Perfectchaos.jpg

RAWR!

^ This fellow right here. Not so much for the gameplay (which by now I can't even remember, so many years having intervened since my Dreamcast died)... but rather for the punch-in-the-face genre dissonance when he DROWNS MILLIONS OF HUMANS. I was all "Sonic's a bright and colourful child-friendly game, nothing bad's ever going to happen to... oh... my... God..."

It was the twistiest twist I've ever seen. Awesome.

Every boss from Sonic 2, Doomsday Zone in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Perfect Chaos from Sonic Adventure. Big-Foot from Sonic Adventure 2, Egg Devil Ray and Egg Dragoon from Sonic Unleashed.

One of my favorite bosses is ridley i mean hey if they would in a sonic game it'd be awsome hey this is on favorite bosses right not doesnt matter from what game seriously though put ridley in a sonic came i think it'd be an amazing boss fight.

800px-Perfectchaos.jpg

RAWR!

^ This fellow right here. Not so much for the gameplay (which by now I can't even remember, so many years having intervened since my Dreamcast died)... but rather for the punch-in-the-face genre dissonance when he DROWNS MILLIONS OF HUMANS. I was all "Sonic's a bright and colourful child-friendly game, nothing bad's ever going to happen to... oh... my... God..."

You took the words of out my mouth mate. And it bugs me how Sega have cheapen that moment in Sonic history by more or less copying it (you know, the whole epic monster thing) seven times since. For anyone who play games like Sonic Adventure 2 or Sonic Unleashed before playing Sonic Adventure, Perfect Chaos appearance probably feels no more shocking or unusual than Sonic collecting a ring.

All time favourite: the Marble Garden boss, where Tails holds Sonic and you have to juggle about as you take out Robotnik, it just equals pure awesome.

Second: fighting Knuckles in the Hidden Palace zone in S&K, also awesome.

Edited by The-Master-Board

All time favourite: the Marble Garden boss, where Tails holds Sonic and you have to juggle about as you take out Robotnik, it just equals pure awesome.

^ I'd enjoy that boss a lot more if not for the nigh-impossibility of it when you're playing as Tails alone. I don't have a clue how I must have managed it on the original Genesis when I was muchos small; doing it on an emulator now takes judicious use of save-state cheating for me to manage it without losing ~50 lives.

Poor, poor Tails. If he'd remembered that nightmare, he wouldn't have been so quick to pal up with the fat man in Chronicles.

Metal Overlord is my favourite boss of all time. It wasn't so much fighting the boss as it was the boss itself. He had several attack methods, including flinging a frick'n BATTLESHIP at you, and Chaos Controll, which really is the perfect attack to use on a Super character. And then there was "What I'm Made Of".

My second favourite would be the Death Egg Zone act2 boss. That Master Emerald lazer was AWSOME!

^ I'd enjoy that boss a lot more if not for the nigh-impossibility of it when you're playing as Tails alone. I don't have a clue how I must have managed it on the original Genesis when I was muchos small; doing it on an emulator now takes judicious use of save-state cheating for me to manage it without losing ~50 lives.

Poor, poor Tails. If he'd remembered that nightmare, he wouldn't have been so quick to pal up with the fat man in Chronicles.

My solution is to avoid attacking Robotnik unless he's flying horizontally along the screen. It takes longer and is kind of tedious, but it's easier to stay alive.

My solution is to avoid attacking Robotnik unless he's flying horizontally along the screen. It takes longer and is kind of tedious, but it's easier to stay alive.

That's what I end up doing as well, but it's still pretty awful. Slightly too far forward and Tails gets a drill bit through the heart; slightly too far back and he gets set on fire by the thrusters.

Give me Sonic 2's Giant Eggman Mech over that any day of the week.

That's what I end up doing as well, but it's still pretty awful. Slightly too far forward and Tails gets a drill bit through the heart; slightly too far back and he gets set on fire by the thrusters.

Give me Sonic 2's Giant Eggman Mech over that any day of the week.

You do have a point...Sonic 3 forces you to be very precise with aiming Tails, because of his small hit box. By comparison, the Sonic 2 End Mech just makes you time your jumps, which is less painful.

Edited by BlazeyBakeneko

Hmm favorite bosses...

Well lately I've been playing Sonic Unleashed and I have to say I've had a blast fighting most of the bosses in that game. I guess I can't speak for the last group of bosses yet though cause I keep having my behind handed to me in Eggmanland; still if they're anything like the others it should be pure awesomeness. As it stands right now the Egg Lancer has earned the top space in my heart. As far as I'm concerned it's the prime example of how most Sonic fights should be. Though the idea is simple, chase and beat down the boss before time runs out or he kills you, but they mix things up just enough to keep it interesting. The constant dodging of mines and lasers require concentration, and you really get into the chase. Heck, I had to stop myself from shouting every time I nailed the guy. The Werehog ones have been pretty fun as well save for the Guardian. I guess it's just because I don't like those kind of bosses; they make you go through a whole gauntlet before you can do any damage to them. The Ghost Whale was the same way from SRA. I disliked having to go through a death maze just to do one point of damage to the guy.

Moving on to other games, I guess all the bosses from Sonic Rush were real fun save for maybe Bomber Barbara. He was just a little too hard at times to be real enjoyable though the concept of running up his arm to attack him was pretty cool. The final boss in that game would have to be the fav though. I liked that you switched screens when playing Blaze and that the boss transformed in the transition. As for the sequel to that game, well some of the bosses like Whiskers and Johnny were real cool but the ghost pirate and whale... eh.

And now just to throw some random bosses out there

King Boom boo (SA2): was unlike all the other bosses in that game and I liked that you had to be sneaky to knock the hourglass behind him.

Egg Golem (SA2): Liked that you really felt like you were taking this guy on and there wasn't really a pattern he followed. He'd just attack wherever you happened to be and you had to be careful or else you'd loose your ground.

Egg Viper (SA): like many have said Eggman really made this one tricky and he fooled me the first time I knocked his health down and he went all kamikaze on me. He'd actually probably be one of my favs of all time if it weren't for the fact that he yelled "get of load of this!!" every bloody time he shot, and "see if you can get through here Sonic!" every time he opened the cockpit for whatever reason.

And I think that's just about it. Yeah I'm terrible, I don't have an old school boss up there but I really didn't care for most of them save for maybe the Metal Sonic battles and the Marble Hill boss where you were flying with Tails ;) .

800px-Perfectchaos.jpg

RAWR!

Ok and Perfect Chaos, it's the only SS battle I can replay over and over again, maybe because it wasn't just me floating out in space and ramming into shit, I think Perfect Chaos and the Biolizard took more skill to beat than future bosses.

Favorite boss will have to be dark gaia in Sonic unleashed (the 360 version.) Good challenge, best music, all fitted for a boss fight like that.

Ok and Perfect Chaos, it's the only SS battle I can replay over and over again, maybe because it wasn't just me floating out in space and ramming into shit, I think Perfect Chaos and the Biolizard took more skill to beat than future bosses.

But you gotta admit, it was pretty epic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK6g42ObZ4E.

Always loved boss fights. Not just in Sonic games. A fight worth your time and seeing the satisfaction of the enemy falling is too fulfilling. The final boss fights I don't care too much for, sure you need skill, but I like when you can get a bit careless and still win. I loved sky sanctuary zone in S3 & K 'cause that level was pretty much dedicated to boss fights. Sonic 1 bosses were fun (except Labyrinth Z). Two was all right, but ended a bit too quickly. Three turned bosses into artistry. I love it when games have "boss" modes as in SA2, that is fun.

If you ask me Heroes robot storm/carnival levels felt poor considering that that'd be something you'd expect to do BEFORE fighting a REAL boss.

P.S. The hardest video game bosses I've ever fought were in the TF Armada video game. I got stuck quite a bit... And they always come out close.

Boss fights. Love 'em, no matter the game.

My favorite fights in the Sonic games have to deal with fighting Sonic's mechanical dopplegangers; In particular, the Sky Sanctuary fight(s) with Metal and the Death Egg fight with Mecha Sonic are my favorites.

Other bosses that I enjoy tangling with are the Robotnik fights in Launch Base and Marble Garden.