Awoo.

Anyone else want a new Sonic fighting game?

8ther

Don't know about the sales of the XBLA/PSN release but the original release of Sonic the Fighters was a hit in arcades,i would like to see a new Sonic the Hedgehog fighting game done by ether AM2 or Arc Systems or at very least a Sega all-stars fighting game sorta like this...Fighters%20Megamix%20(E)%20Front%2BBack.

But with more Sega characters :P

Is AM2 still around? Because if they are, then I would love for them to design another Sonic fighter.

technicly I think they have evolved, but yes they are still around, and they still make Virtua Fighter(its up to 5 now) and I second this, a new Sonic Fighter game, made  by an iconic arcade developer would be AWESOME.... but you would have to include Nack, Bark and bean too of course!

I suppose I'm biased since I'm not a huge fan of fighting games in general (though I do enjoy playing them with other people), but while I'm not against the idea of another Sonic fighting game, I don't think it's necessary or would come out all that great.  For some reason, fighting games (or at least the fighting games I've played) have never had very good plotlines due largely to the lack of stages or anything to pad it out appropriately.  Of course, I know fighting games aren't really about character-driven narratives as much as they are just about kicking the snot out of opponents, but even if you go the preferable "no story at all" route, having the characters relentlessly abuse each other without context is still a tad disconcerting.

That being the case, I'm, again, not saying that I'm opposed to the idea.  I just don't think it would have much widespread appeal or successfully capture any of the elements that made Sonic interesting in the first place.  Unless, of course, it's a Melee-style fighting game.  That opens the door for the developers to capitalize on all of Sonic's trademarks movements, locations, etc. as they were intended and repurpose them for combat mechanics.

I think something like Sonic Battle on the 3DS would be awesome. Sonic Battle, in my opinion, was exactly how Sonic as a fighting game should function. Each character retained their signature traits, and it brought something new to the table

I'd rather just have Sega All-Stars Fighters Megamix.

There are so many Sega characters to go to use in that type of game; and not just the ones featured in the Racing series, but many more. Sketch Turner, Kid Chameleon, Toejam & Earl, Ristar, Bayonetta, and various characters from Fighting Vipers, Streets of Rage, Virtua Fighter, Golden Axe, Altered Beast, Shining Force, Yakuza, Phantasy Star Online, Panzer Dragoon, Shinobi, Burning Rangers, hell even Vocaloid joke characters, I don't care. They have enough to make at least a 50 fighter roster if they felt like it.

• Thumbs Up 5

Yeah, I don't really like Sonic enough to buy a full-price fighting game featuring just Sonic characters.

But a Sega version, where I could use NiGHTS and Reala to beat down everyone, I would definitely look into.

• Thumbs Up 1

technicly I think they have evolved, but yes they are still around, and they still make Virtua Fighter(its up to 5 now) and I second this, a new Sonic Fighter game, made  by an iconic arcade developer would be AWESOME.... but you would have to include Nack, Bark and bean too of course!

Well, AM2 wouldn't have too if SEGA doesn't want them too...

On that note a SEGA fighter made by them would be nice-y nice-y. 

*flashbacks to Fighters Megamix*

Only if its not the standard 2d fighting or 2d in 3d plane where you can move slightly in a 360 rotation fighting game because honestly we already have enough of those as it is (and they are really starting to grate on me too) it would have to be something like sonic battle or maybe even something akin to smash bros.

Fighting games have never really been my thing. I don't do that well at them, and since combos are so hard to pull off in many fighting games, as well as the special moves, it just often times isn't super fun unless you know everything about the game. You get your butt handed to you so easily in fighting games if you aren't master of them to begin with.

It would be something interesting for sure. I'm just not sure if I would be the target audience for a fighting game, since I'm often looing for platformers and rpg's to be honest. It could still work as long as there is the audience for it.

Having replayed Sonic the Fighters since it was rereleased on XBLA, I find it's an unbearably clunky fighter by today's standards with some of the most retarded, cheating AI I've seen in a game. If we were to get another fighting game I certaintly wouldn't want AM2 handling it.

I think Sonic Battle was on the right track, in that it carries much the same focus on simplicity that the main games tend to - the biggest problem is that it's done in such a way that it also murders any metagame focus the game could've had, and that the abilities of characters are so formulaic that winning a fight with any of them depends largely on the same "heavy to wall, intercept, air attack, rince and repeat" for each of them (with small exceptions like Tails and Cream, who have retardedly easy infinites in this situation).

In the same light as Smash Bros I think it's important that while all characters should have the same controls, the actual applications for said controls should vary widely among them - whether it means turning certain heavy attacks into command grabs, or allowing some characters to intercept from upper attacks rather than heavies, or having characters intercept with projectiles instead, stuff like that. Battle's biggest problem was that literally only stat increases seperated characters most of the time, and it's a fucking boring way of balancing them out.

I guess it could do without the isometric approach too, but to be fair the biggest problem with that was that it's difficult to determine depth with sprites on a 3D field - I think we're past that difficulty by now.

Having replayed Sonic the Fighters since it was rereleased on XBLA, I find it's an unbearably clunky fighter by today's standards with some of the most retarded, cheating AI I've seen in a game. If we were to get another fighting game I certaintly wouldn't want AM2 handling it.

I think Sonic Battle was on the right track, in that it carries much the same focus on simplicity that the main games tend to - the biggest problem is that it's done in such a way that it also murders any metagame focus the game could've had, and that the abilities of characters are so formulaic that winning a fight with any of them depends largely on the same "heavy to wall, intercept, air attack, rince and repeat" for each of them (with small exceptions like Tails and Cream, who have retardedly easy infinites in this situation).

In the same light as Smash Bros I think it's important that while all characters should have the same controls, the actual applications for said controls should vary widely among them - whether it means turning certain heavy attacks into command grabs, or allowing some characters to intercept from upper attacks rather than heavies, or having characters intercept with projectiles instead, stuff like that. Battle's biggest problem was that literally only stat increases seperated characters most of the time, and it's a fucking boring way of balancing them out.

I guess it could do without the isometric approach too, but to be fair the biggest problem with that was that it's difficult to determine depth with sprites on a 3D field - I think we're past that difficulty by now.

From what I hear Fighters Megamix from the same time period was Legendary, and appaerently everyone loves Virtua Fighter 5(which is that latest thing by that division that I know of)

Sumo Digital has a reputation of giving the fans what they want. At Boom 2012, Steve Lycett asked if anyone would be interested in a fighting game; there was near-unanimous cheers of approval. I'm not sure if that sample is representative, but if he'd take a petition of only a thousand into consideration, a few hundred people likely doesn't escape his eyes and ears.

He did say immediately afterward that he was conflicted since everyone at Summer of Sonic wanted a soccer title, but I think a fighting game would probably fit the All Stars brand better at this point (if you ask me, the Olympic series is good enough for Sonic-related sports).

I put my support behind an All Stars fighting game 100%. I also am confident they could avoid it being a Smash Bros. clone while at the same time being buckets of fun to play. It one does get made, it will most certainly not be the third game; SEGA has to maintain buddy status with Nintendo, after all. Heck, I could see them deliberately avoiding releasing any fighting game on the Wii U, similar to how they didn't make a Wii release of All Stars Racing. SEGA's done two games in one year before, so who knows, maybe we'll get a Nintendo exclusive and a non-Nintendo exclusive in the same year.

When in doubt, we could do what the NiGHTs fanbase did. They rallied a massive amount of support for NiGHTs being in Transformed (ranging from threatening to burn all their merchandise to sending several boxes of chocolate to SEGA and Sumo Digital offices) and were able to get it. The key point is you have to make yourself heard and these things will happen.

Edited by Ogilvie

But Wait, I want the fighting game on the Wii-U! and it would be a cool 3rd exclusive.... and Tekken Tag Tourney 2 did decently

But Wait, I want the fighting game on the Wii-U! and it would be a cool 3rd exclusive.... and Tekken Tag Tourney 2 did decently

It would make no sense to release it on the Wii U for the third game, as that puts it in competition with Smash Bros. 4. An exception would be if they wait at least two years or so after the release, by which time Smash Bros. will likely have sold to whoever really wants it and thus competition becomes a non-issue. That'd be the 25th anniversary's year, though.

So if Sumo does indeed have an All Stars fighting game on the agenda, it'll certainly be interesting to see how they would schedule it. While 2014 would fit the All Stars pattern, I'm predicting any racer or fighter would most definitely not be on Nintendo consoles.

I would argue that a 8-way fighter in the vien of Fighters megamix would not provide a direct competition to Super Smash Bros, as its a rather different style being one on one(or tag Teams). while they would both be fighters, they would be rather different types

Won't just about any major franchise making a fighting game these days all be panned as Smash Brother clones? That seems to be the thing with reviewers and gamers these days is to say everyone is copying each other and to pan each other based on what they think this game is copying from another one? Like how so many people constantly say Sonic is copying Mario or Zelda with some of its past games?

Won't just about any major franchise making a fighting game these days all be panned as Smash Brother clones? That seems to be the thing with reviewers and gamers these days is to say everyone is copying each other and to pan each other based on what they think this game is copying from another one? Like how so many people constantly say Sonic is copying Mario or Zelda with some of its past games?

Not, if they did it using the Virtua Fighter 5 game engine, its a totaly different style of fighting game, while it would still be a SEGA character mascot fighting game, it would be 1 on 1(or tag team), and the dynamics would be extremely different

Pretty much, but that hasn't stopped Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing and its sequel from being largely successful, despite the innumerable Mario Kart comparisons that are often (and justifiably so) brought up in just about every game review.

Yeah, reviewers just like to commit idolatry with regards to Nintendo and its franchises. Ignore them.

So long as a game is fun it will probably do well, provided the marketing is there. SEGA's kind of crap with that, which is a main perk to having Nintendo handle a lot of their publishing with these exclusive titles... and another reason I think, in the spirit of the partnership, the fighting game would most definitely not be on Wii U (that would, after all, be kind of shooting their new friend in the back).

in the spirit of the partnership, the fighting game would most definitely not be on Wii U (that would, after all, be kind of shooting their new friend in the back).

Frankly I just don't get this logic. Wouldn't putting a game on everything but the WiiU be shooting their partners in the back? You're putting the opportunity to sell more units in hardware over the possibility that it might leech sales from Ninty's software - and I have to add that's a VERY big "might", considering it would have fucking Super Smash Bros to compete with. Doesn't that come off as incredibly silly to you?

Frankly I just don't get this logic. Wouldn't putting a game on everything but the WiiU be shooting their partners in the back? You're putting the opportunity to sell more units in hardware over the possibility that it might leech sales from Ninty's software - and I have to add that's a VERY big "might", considering it would have fucking Super Smash Bros to compete with. Doesn't that come off as incredibly silly to you?

This is totaly true, a untried and new Sega/sonic fighting game, even if from AM2(or whatever the creators of VF5 call themselves now) would have a boats chance in a volcano of sucking any sales from SSB, especialy if it was a 8-way one on one fighter, that appeals in very different ways

The fear is irrational, but companies aren't always rational. They're just greedy.

Just as SEGA is extremely and irrationally controlling of the portrayal of Sonic characters, I don't see why Nintendo wouldn't be particularly discouraging of any fighting or racing game. Even a thousand customers buying the SEGA game instead is still money away from the company that can be avoided if SEGA just had developed a different game altogether.

It doesn't make sense from SEGA's perspective for the reasons you just gave, too. Why would they want to compete with Smash or Kart? It'd be better to put it on non-Nintendo consoles.

Edited by Ogilvie

The fear is irrational, but companies aren't always rational. They're just greedy.

Just as SEGA is extremely and irrationally controlling of the portrayal of Sonic characters, I don't see why Nintendo wouldn't be particularly discouraging of any fighting or racing game. Even a thousand customers buying the SEGA game instead is still money away from the company that can be avoided if SEGA just had developed a different game altogether.

It doesn't make sense from SEGA's perspective for the reasons you just gave, too. Why would they want to compete with Smash or Kart? It'd be better to put it on non-Nintendo consoles.

But they'd still be getting paid in licensing fees and royalties, so even if the game competes with their game, it's still more beneficial for the game to compete on their own console than on separate platforms where they receive no payment at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not really a big fighting game fan, but sure, why not. I think a Sega all Stars game that includes Sonic characters would be the way to go. That way, it could be used as a testing ground for how to differentiate Sonic characters' abilities so the developers could know how to implement them in future games.