Awoo.

Anyone else want a new Sonic fighting game?

8ther

Between Sonic Battle and Sonic the Fighters, I'm not sure how I feel about a Sonic Fighting game. It would be interesting to see a fighting game based off of something like Smash Bros with Sonic. 

and don't even remind me about that shitty flash game Sonic Smash Brothers

Would the game really steal sales from Smash brothers or would it simply be another reason to draw people to the console? I'm not sure if it would steal sales from Smash brothers, especially if Sega waits awhile, since Smash Brothers is going to be released sometime early next year most likely. As I said, I would think the main thing that would keep people away would people wanting to call it a Smash Brothers clone, no matter how good the game may end up being.

I know Sony made a version that was pretty much said to be the same thing, since they did sort of copy most elements from Smash Brothers. Most company games that are mixed series multi character fight games these days are all going to be called Smash Brother clones I fear.

Honestly I think a successor to Fighters Megamix using a modified virtua Fighter 5 engine would be the best option, it would be both unique and rather fun

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly I think a successor to Fighters Megamix using a modified virtua Fighter 5 engine would be the best option, it would be both unique and rather fun

I second this.

While Sumo probably does have the talent to make a decent fighting game, if Sega ever decides to make a Sega all-stars fighter, i'd rather it be handled by AM2 instead of Sumo Digital.

Most company games that are mixed series multi character fight games these days are all going to be called Smash Brother clones I fear.

You're saying that as though knock-off products don't sell well.  Sure, they don't receive the same acclaim as the game they're knocking off, but a game that imitates a popular game successfully (and is backed by good marketing) is going to sell regardless of its derivative nature.  That, and reviews don't determine the success of a game.  Sales do.

It doesn't make sense from SEGA's perspective for the reasons you just gave, too. Why would they want to compete with Smash or Kart? It'd be better to put it on non-Nintendo consoles.

Audiences can overlap. It's not unreasonable to expect that a fan of one simplistic party-esque brawler will have some interest in another simplistic party-esque brawler - especially when the genre is incredibly niche, in spite of Smash's popularity. And even assuming it does steal sales from Nintendo's own software, however significant the extent of it, Ninty still benefits either way because it further promotes their hardware and gives their userbase options in light of glaring misconceptions of "no gaems".

Edited by Blacklightning

You're saying that as though knock-off products don't sell well.  Sure, they don't receive the same acclaim as the game they're knocking off, but a game that imitates a popular game successfully (and is backed by good marketing) is going to sell regardless of its derivative nature.  That, and reviews don't determine the success of a game.  Sales do.

Yeah, that I know that knock-offs can sell, but with how the critics already pick on Sega a bit, if they did a game like this, it being Sega they likely would lose two points already just because it is similar to Smash Brothers to begin with. I know sales are what ultimately matters, I'm just saying in regard to reviewers, all they would do is compare and say how this and that may not be as good as Smash Brothers and not judge it as fairly is all.

Yeah, that I know that knock-offs can sell, but with how the critics already pick on Sega a bit, if they did a game like this, it being Sega they likely would lose two points already just because it is similar to Smash Brothers to begin with. I know sales are what ultimately matters, I'm just saying in regard to reviewers, all they would do is compare and say how this and that may not be as good as Smash Brothers and not judge it as fairly is all.

And that's a fair point of concern, but not one I think should determine the ultimate fate of a concept.

As a huge fighting game fan I WISH they would. But at the same time NOONE would make it like I would want it. Sonic Battle was good, but not for the fighting, the story is what made that good. Sonic the Fighter was filled with the cheapest AI EVER. Seriously, Metal Sonic is worse than M.Bison on Super. I think a Capcom style fighter would work for Sonic, as it wouldn't be treated as a smash clone then and maybe would gain respect as a decent fighter. Be that if whoever made it designed it to be a FIGHTER and not a party game with fighting in it. But that's me... 

Edited by Smooth Jazz
  • Thumbs Up 1

I would enjoy a new fighting game, but Knuckles can't be the first person in tournament mode!

I think it could be cool if it was similar to a sonic smash bros game. I think It could be awesome really :D.

But they'd still be getting paid in licensing fees and royalties, so even if the game competes with their game, it's still more beneficial for the game to compete on their own console than on separate platforms where they receive no payment at all.

From Nintendo's perspective this is good, but what about SEGA's? I don't think SEGA wants to compete with them. Moving to another console hurts Nintendo, but it most likely helps SEGA since it removes competition.

This of course assumes the 2014 All Stars title would be a fighter. I predict it'll be something else entirely that's also not racing.

I'm not sure if it would steal sales from Smash brothers, especially if Sega waits awhile, since Smash Brothers is going to be released sometime early next year most likely.

Which is the reason why I think SEGA will not make any fighting game the exclusive. It could still be a 2014 title (it can come after another title in the same year), but most likely not the Nintendo exclusive. I don't think they'll want to compete with Nintendo.

From Nintendo's perspective this is good, but what about SEGA's? I don't think SEGA wants to compete with them. Moving to another console hurts Nintendo, but it most likely helps SEGA since it removes competition.

That would depend on their sales tactic.  Sega seems to be under the impression that most of their sales come from Nintendo consoles, so having the game on a console that is guaranteed to generate a predictable level of income might be a better strategy than experimenting with sales by putting them on a different console.

That would depend on their sales tactic.  Sega seems to be under the impression that most of their sales come from Nintendo consoles, so having the game on a console that is guaranteed to generate a predictable level of income might be a better strategy than experimenting with sales by putting them on a different console.

The Nintendo consoles' sales are merely a plurality and not a majority as memory serves; if they're willing to think outside the box I could see them managing to corner the market elsewhere.

Here's an idea that won't happen until pigs fly but definitely one I'd consider were I SEGA and interested in making a fighting game: team up with Sony. The Playstation All Stars fighter wasn't perfect, but it had a moderately warm reception and has a huge brand name behind it. If the Sumo team worked on a sequel I could definitely see it performing well with such a massive amount of brand strength behind it. It loses the "Sony" uniqueness but half the games involved were multiplats anyway so it's not like they really had much of a claim to it.

That is of course just one idea. I think SEGA could easily make a fighting game work on another console, especially since PS and XB players are more competitive if memory serves. The question is how they'd go about it, since SEGA's titles are predominantly associated with the younger demographic that Nintendo brings to the table. I suggest the "SEGA and Sony All Stars" idea as just one way they could more easily capture the market share of another console. They'd have to split profits, yes, but that's easily one of the most powerful brand mergers besides SEGA and Nintendo.

Overall, I think SEGA needs to avoid the easy way out. It's convenient to say that things will sell best on Nintendo and so they should stick with that, but I see that as a reason to try and change the way things are.

Edited by Ogilvie

You guys seem to be forgetting something, SEGA was, has been, and still is one of the best arcade producers in the business, and their fighting division is one of the strongest out there, I mean go look up Virtua Fighter 5, the current version and its having massive tourneys.

If they wanted to a video game to be a mascot fighter to represent their history, and have a crossover to end all crossover, there is no reason for them to go to an outside team, when they have an extremely powerful and adept developer already, and they can make a unique brawler, simply by using a 3D one on one fighter engine instead of emulating SSB. the opening post mentioned Fighters Megamix

Fighters Megamix was one of the best fighters of the time, and one of the best crossovers of the time, if they want something profitable and unique, what they need to do is make a follow up to that, but double the roster, and include characters from many different games, and keep the title simple

And of course a game like this would do well if it was on every console, however I could see them doing a special edition with nintendo at the least

Any game that goes to arcade may as well stay in Japan. The arcade business has pretty much died everywhere else barring as an extremely niche culture. There are lots of arcades here in Vegas, but that's so parents have a place to leave their children while they go blow their paychecks on slots and such.

I also prefer games with room for more than two fighters. I find them to be buckets more fun because of the sheer chaos that ensues once you have about four or so people in play; there are plenty of variables and it can be a lot more challenging to stay ahead, whereas one on one can rapidly turn lopsided.

Hmmm...

Thinking really deeply though, the only reason why Sonic the Fighters was made in the first place was because Sonic and Tails sneaked in Fighting Vipers, then greenlighted a fighting game that didn't take itself seriously compared to many other fighting games out there.

It also depends on what angle Sega decide to choose whether they go for the Smash Bros. route or the Virtua Fighter route. If it is the Smash Bros route, it would be competiting with that series even if it is the same console. Unless being really well received would be considered a second placer and end up like the other Smash Bros type of fighters such as PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale and that Konami vs. Takara one (Simon Belmont vs. Optimus Prime) on the GC. Sega has tried the Virtua Fighter route before however the series has evolved from Virtua Fighter 2 (that is still considered a challenging fighting game) so a second attempt might not seem as stiff and is more accessable than in the past. While it would differ compared to a Smash Bros clone however it would be competiting with the other 3D fighting games such as Tekken, Netherrealm fighters and Virtua Fighter itself. Plus the fighting game community want a fighting game that is balanced, correct hit boxes, no input lag and have enough recognision to be accepted that is very hard to do. A Power Stone route would actually be interesting to see and would work with a local multiplayer way but different enough from Smash Bros.

Regardless though, the only way a new Sonic fighting game would work is if it isn't just Sonic but also the Sega All-Stars route since the Sonic cast alone is not strong enough. Some more recent fighting games have very large rosters; Tekken Tag Tournament 2 has over 50 fighters, Capcom keeps adding characters to versions of Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters also has quite a large roster as well, even Mortal Kombat despite many people being clones of each other. Fighters Megamix had a large enough roster already even though the game suffered from being a bit rushed due to AM2 were working on Virtua Fighter 3 both the arcade and on the Saturn (that never came out) so that would be a good place to start.

As for whether I want a fighting game, well for me it has to be fun and a good roster to choose from but not into competitive games that fighters are very strongly into. So maybe if the price [of the game] is right.

Any game that goes to arcade may as well stay in Japan. The arcade business has pretty much died everywhere else barring as an extremely niche culture. There are lots of arcades here in Vegas, but that's so parents have a place to leave their children while they go blow their paychecks on slots and such.

I also prefer games with room for more than two fighters. I find them to be buckets more fun because of the sheer chaos that ensues once you have about four or so people in play; there are plenty of variables and it can be a lot more challenging to stay ahead, whereas one on one can rapidly turn lopsided.

I think he is reffering to Sega's experience on fighters in general.

I think he is reffering to Sega's experience on fighters in general.

Ya, I was reffering to their experience, which is a good portion in the arcades, however they produced somewhere overr three dozen plus individual fighters over the lifetimes of their own consoles, while they made even more after they werent third party but commonly in the arcades. they have a TON of fighter experience

Well yeah, Sega is pretty much the king of the arcade games and arcade gadgets. That has always been their specialty and often they do pull it off rather well. Arcade games are often not my thing though since they most often are shooters, racers, and fighters. None of those genre's are really my thing. Still, I do feel that Sega doing their own version will ultimately end up with critics calling them copy cats, even if they dont go the Smash Brother route.

Sega likely is thought to pull off an arcade style game than other companies though if they do it. Yet as the other said, if it is arcade only though, we would never see it here in America, since Japan is one of the few places where arcades are a big thing and found at dozens and dozens of stores everywhere.

Well yeah, Sega is pretty much the king of the arcade games and arcade gadgets. That has always been their specialty and often they do pull it off rather well. Arcade games are often not my thing though since they most often are shooters, racers, and fighters. None of those genre's are really my thing. Still, I do feel that Sega doing their own version will ultimately end up with critics calling them copy cats, even if they dont go the Smash Brother route.

Sega likely is thought to pull off an arcade style game than other companies though if they do it. Yet as the other said, if it is arcade only though, we would never see it here in America, since Japan is one of the few places where arcades are a big thing and found at dozens and dozens of stores everywhere.

I never said Arcade only, I just said arcade developed, Fighters Megamix was created by AM2, but no arcade version was ever made, they can do that again you know

I never said Arcade only, I just said arcade developed, Fighters Megamix was created by AM2, but no arcade version was ever made, they can do that again you know

I know you didn't say it. I was just making the example. If it was arcade only, we would never see it here in America due to how arcades aren't that popular or you don't find them that often. Most arcades are all usually filled with the same games as well here in America. If they make it arcade style and release on consoles, I get it yes.

If the Tails Doll is on there as fighting character then yes! Even if not then yes all fear the power of Amy Rose!