Awoo.

YouTube and Google +

Xtremer Sadiqachu

Oh are you fucking kidding me? Not only are they seemingly intent on making the layout as boring and user-unfriendly as possible, but they keep trying to integrate the site with Google+ and acting as though this is bringing the site in an amazing new direction that literally fucking nobody actually wants

It's like they actually want to kill off YouTube. This is literally the only explanation I can think of that would actually make sense, they're seriously trying to alienate the entire userbase. Either that or this is some bizarre experiment and they're trying to see how far they can push people before they just say "fuck it" and leave

At least they got rid of teh character limit, fucking finally

Edited by Blitz 'n Burst
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm pretty sure most of the positive feedback they get is from their own staff.

This is awful, I unlinked the google+ thing only to find out I can't comment...not even on my own videos without it. It's not even Youtube now, it's ThemTube. I know some complaints about other stuff were something, but they seriously stooped extremely low this time.

Terrible...

Edited by Jetronic
  • Thumbs Up 5

As someone who rolled their eyes whenever the Internet started negative echo chambers about every layout update YouTube made, this update makes me fucking livid

I don't use social networking. Not even Facebook. Why the fuck should I be forced to use it for YouTube? This trend of trying to shove social networking into everything has annoyed me from the moment it started. I don't want to use my real name, I don't want to "connect" with people. Maybe I just want to watch videos and comment on them without everyone knowing exactly who I am. I'm not a privacy nut, but I don't have unlimited tolerance for the invasion of my privacy or the removal of my means to protect it.

Edited by Frogging101

Obviously they didn't get enough users doing it, so they forced the issue on us.

Yeah, let's FORCE them to use Google Plus, that'll definitely make us more popular!

Oh and don't even get me started on the layouts. I mean we went from this:

ytweird.png

to this

youtube+homepage+before+secret+layout.PN

to this.

image17.png?_sm_au_=iVVHN67MWJ733S3s

Personally, I prefer the middle one rather than this social network layout shit. I'm not really accustomed to the original YouTube layout, because I don't remember it very well.

This trend of trying to shove social networking into everything has annoyed me from the moment it started. I don't want to use my real name, I don't want to "connect" with people. Maybe I just want to watch videos and comment on them without everyone knowing exactly who I am. I'm not a privacy nut, but I don't have unlimited tolerance for the invasion of my privacy or the removal of my means to protect it.

^This. Maybe YouTube teamed up with the NSA, and is trying to know more about us.

Edited by XtremerSadiqachu

Google make their money through advertisements.  Of course they want to know everything about you, so they can personalise your adverts.

Unfortunately they are fully aware that there is no alternative as widespread, convenient and (regarding actual video playing and embedding) functional as Youtube is.

Oh don't like the new Youtube?  Where you gonna go?  Vimeo?  Pfffthahahaha.

I used to have quite a bit of trouble with this about a year ago. I was forced to merge, that is creating a Google+ account to merge with in the first place, in order to continue using YouTube with my old account, but it told me I could just degrade it into a mere YouTube account afterwards. So when I tried removing the Google+ stuff, it threatened to remove all my videos that I had uploaded and all the content I had shared, so I left it be.

Recently, I started doing a Let's Play of Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs. When I uploaded my first few clips, I noticed it was appearing under a new account that was a YouTube and Google+ hybrid, and it did not have my old videos either, so I deleted the newly uploaded clips. I split the accounts, this time it did not threaten to erase my YouTube history. I was then able to continue uploading to my old account if I selected the appropriate option when logging on.

Personally, I think it has become a big mess. I have no interest in Google+, and I do not want to associate real-life details with my YouTube account. Please stop nagging me, as I would rather stop using YouTube altogether.

• Thumbs Up 2

Let's be honest here, the lack of visibility and inability to use Youtube comments probably makes you a happier person and the world as a whole a better place. Most youtube commentators have the intelligence of a pooper scooper.

That said, what I simply did was what I do for any other sites that do not involve my "real life" in any way including this one: use an email with a fake name on it. Hell, my "real name" on my youtube account that I use only to comment on YT once in a blue moon, is Rainbow Dash. There is no info on my real life or name at all so no matter how much transparency there is you will never know that the account belongs to me IRL and would think that it's the actual RD instead.

That said, it's still bullshit on Google's part and I understand people's frustrations, who'd though they'd pull some shit like this. I'm just intuitive/paranoid enough to have seen something like this coming and prepared accordingly. Transparency is also a very dangerous thing. what's to stop some psychopath from seeing somebody say something they disagree with and then finding that person for real and hurting them? YT trolls are gonna shit their pants as soon as this transparency is finally forced on everyone though that's for sure. That's gonna be funny.

It's funny that Google says highly trained monkeys are used to deal with their issues. Because it seems this new layout was designed by just that same kind of group.

This is utterly stupid. Pretty much everyone was already pissed off at being pestered about using their actual name, and now Youtube pulls this? Are they that committed to removing any and all anonymity? Just because they know half the world's information doesn't mean everyone else has to.

Typical corporate bullcrap.

Let's not even begin on the "Oh it doesn't look like there's a face in your avatar! D8" thing.

We need an alternative to YouTube that is actually good. Surely that can't be THAT hard?

It's possible if the site had enough advantages over Youtube. Facebook utterly crushed MySpace in features and we all know what happened there.

The problems numerous. For one, you need a good site designer, which is simple enough. Then you need to get people to overcome inertia and make the move... just as no one wants to move to Google+ for social media, who wants to move to a non-Youtube site for videos? And finally, if a viable challenger does approach, you need to somehow be able to keep Google from crushing it. Google's reach is practically unparalleled, and I wouldn't put it past them to even try some quasi-legal activities (after all, it's only illegal if you get caught) to crush any competitor who could threaten them.

Edited by Ogilvie

This sounds a lot like taking advantage of the dominance of YouTube.

Seriously, why are all the other alternatives not taking advantage of this dislike to just make their sites easier to work with?

I really hate this shit, anyone who knows of me would understand why I'd want to keep my gmail(which I use for resumes and business) separate from my Youtube and other sites where I use the "BatGuy" alias. Having a very unique "government name" also makes me very paranoid of using it publicly online.

We need an alternative to YouTube that is actually good. Surely that can't be THAT hard?

Large-scale content hosting is a nightmare. The expenses in that business only go up as the amount of data you're responsible for keeping increases, not to mention the cost of delivering it (bandwidth, etc.); you need an ever-increasing number of servers and storage arrays. And then there's spammers, hackers, and liability to contend with.

Writing the software and setting it up might be easy, but maintaining it is not cheap.

Edited by Frogging101

If you know someone or some company other than Google that can afford to maintain the server costs necessary to run a website used by... well, just about everyone on the planet, then please let me know.

I've actually had my new channel in limbo since last year when I made it because of the way YouTube's been going. I've lost much of my enthusiasm to produce content for the site. No, this isn't anything about subscribers or views rather a matter of bloody respect for people who take the time to produce content. More than ever, the site is focused on big name tubers who can generate more advertising for the site (because they REALLY needed it).

Guess what? My subscriptions box is for exactly that: MY SUBSCRIPTIONS. Believe it or not I don't care about the next Miley Cyrus video or what PewDiePie's hourly video is. Even if I go to MY own channel I've got forced advertising for the big names over on the right. With Youtube (and I suppose Google) focusing on themselves and their stars and seemingly giving barely a toss for the rest of us, it's not boding well for the future.

Do you? Got to start somewhere, you know. Just saying it would be cool if there was an alternative.

My point was that it's certainly not an easy or inexpensive thing.  The alternatives that do exist probably only continue to exist because they're not so popular that they have more users than they can financially handle.  If they ever reached the scale YouTube has, they'd have to start incorporating all the little things that we already hate.  Of course, there's no saying that they'd have to pull something like this, but they'd have to do something to keep their business afloat.

• Thumbs Up 1

So...should I find a way to change my email to something else to protect myself, or do I have to create a whole new channel to upload my videos on?

Edited by Wonder ED

If it wasn't for the lag in the player program, i would have gone to Blip.TV a looong time ago. The only reason why i still upload videos on Youtube is because they are fansub, so not really personal material. But i'm seriously thinking of uploading my next project (spoiler: Dr.Who vlogs) on Blip.

• Thumbs Up 1

My point was that it's certainly not an easy or inexpensive thing.  The alternatives that do exist probably only continue to exist because they're not so popular that they have more users than they can financially handle.  If they ever reached the scale YouTube has, they'd have to start incorporating all the little things that we already hate.  Of course, there's no saying that they'd have to pull something like this, but they'd have to do something to keep their business afloat.

Ads, for example. There was predictably an uproar when YouTube added ads, but I don't know what else people expected. Is Google just going to host millions of videos entirely for free? Fuck no. They had to do it. They didn't have to do this though; I'm not even sure why they did this.

Edited by Frogging101
  • Thumbs Up 4

So...should I find a way to change my email to something else to protect myself, or do I have to create a whole new channel?

You can actually create brand new channels within your YouTube channel, but that creates a different G+ account.

You can actually create brand new channels within your YouTube channel, but that creates a different G+ account.

Really? How?

I've got two channels and two separate accounts with Google. One hosts my real name and is the one I use on G+ the most. The other uses my alias name and only hosts my second Youtube account, which is full of my animations and other videos from school and college.

Somehow, I've already changed to a G+ page for my main YT account, and I have no idea how.

2psmuir.jpg

WHAT WOULD I FUCKING DO WITHOUT YOU

Really? How?

You click all my channels under Youtube Settings on the right, and create a new channel

Edited by XtremerSadiqachu
  • Thumbs Up 1

Why would you want to be spoiled on the hilarious parts by reading the comments part?

I was told off by viewers for spoiling a funny moment in a Lets Play video in the comments. Reminds me that people shouldn't read the comments before watching the actual video.

Edited by Fancy

Why would you want to be spoiled on the hilarious parts by reading the comments part?

I was told off by viewers for spoiling a funny moment in a Lets Play video in the comments. Reminds me that people shouldn't read the comments before watching the actual video.

I only read the top comments, which there are SUPPOSED to be two of

Wtf. This is why I never want to sign in to my Google account or post comments on Youtube. Youtube was awesome back in 2006-2008 but it's gone down the shitter since Google bought it. I'm surprised so many people still use it considering how much hate these updates have been getting recently.

The YouTube/Google+ integration is the best thing to happen to YouTube (for me) for a long time. 

And I have a very specific reason for thinking that. Something that Google really screwed up with is not explaining to the user exactly happens when you click "Merge". It's not what everyone thinks, but no one seems to know that because people are terrified of clicking it.

When you merge your YouTube and Google+ accounts, you are given the option to use a new username. And if you do that, your Google+ profile (and real name) is not linked to your channel in any way.

Note that I said new username. This username can be your old one, but it doesn't have to be. And that's what's so awesome. My internet-wide username for everything is "Unknownlight". However, the name was taken when I first made my YouTube account, so I resorted to my stupid-sounding standby "NOTknownlight". 

But new usernames in this post-Google+ merger world ignore all previously-taken usernames. So when I merged my profiles, I was given the option to change my username to "Unknownlight". And I pounced on that option like a tiger.

I'M SO HAPPY NOW! biggrin.png

Edited by Unknownlight
  • Thumbs Up 1