Awoo.

What do you legitimately dislike about the Boost Trilogy Gameplay?

Narukami07

Because they probably got the impression from overly rabid fans who think that 2D = True Sonic. It isn't like there isn't a shortage of "Sonic should only be in 2D" blogs, posts, rants, and stuff on the net. It also doesn't help that most of the people who do act like this seem to have no idea as to what exactly made 2D Sonic what it was, so they oversimplified it to 2D=right, 3D=wrong.

Pretty much this, honestly I didn't mind it in unleashed since it was a first time thing and I liked that it was something that would possibly be unique to that one game but then as the games went on I realized how things would be so much better if there was no 2d at all since the level design in 3d is pretty darn good (in unleashed and generations for me) and the fact that they still used the 2d in generations even though they had classic sonic kind of sealed the deal that it was completely unnecessary by that point.

Most 2-D Sonics is very boring though :[

Believe me, they get better when you get used to them. 

Which ones have you got to play so far? Going by your first impression (being Sonic 4), most people here can tell you that they're much better than that. :P

Believe me, they get better when you get used to them. 

Which ones have you got to play so far? Going by your first impression (being Sonic 4), most people here can tell you that they're much better than that. tongue.png

Sonic 4 was my first 2-d game. And then I played Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations and Sonic Rush which i like those games.

Sonic 4 was my first 2-d game. And then I played Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations and Sonic Rush which i like those games.

Sonic 4 is an... interesting spectacle, to say the least.  It's certainly not demonstrative of the typical 2D Sonic experience, nor a very good reflection of the classic Genesis/Mega Drive titles that inspired it. XP - I think Colors DS (from what little I've played of it) is decent, not sure about Generations 3DS.  Rush and Rush Adventure are great, though, the latter of which is one of my favorite games in the Sonic series.  I definitely recommend that as well as the classics, but your mileage may vary.

Anyway, this topic isn't about 2D Sonic games, so yeah, back to drifting and stuff.

Which gets to another thing that bugs me. 2D sections. I just don't see the point in most of them really. They stick them in the middle of the stage and usually have them be slower and more platform based, but I never understand why exactly they need the perspective shift in the first place? Why not just leave it in 3D and have the player tackle it like that? It always seemed weird to me, especially considering the 3D sections already didn't have the greatest amount of platforming to begin with. Why separate that off than intergrate it a bit more completely?

I for one didn't actually mind the 2D sections....for Unleashed anyway. Those 2D sections, like the Rush games, were designed to be reflex-based and were in a sense trial-and-error in the sense that the player would try to blast through them as fast as possible. They did however include shortcuts that allowed one to take the higher path or skip entire segments of level design while also sneaking some collectable items or some in-level goodies here and there, so the player had a choice of either getting through the sections as fast as possible or trying to get a certain goodie or move up/down to a specific path. Thanks to the smooth-moving camera angles that usually pitted them at sometimes a "2.75D angle" (the gameplay is 2D, but the camera is positioned so that they are behind Sonic at a diagonal angle that reveals what's ahead in terms of level design), they also felt more cinematic and less like a a blatant shift in perspective.

Colors and Generations I do have issues with though for the reasons you said. I personally feel those 2D sections were stuck in as filler to make up for the few 3D levels, which in terms of Colors were comprised of mostly-empty hallways and considering classic Sonic's presence and gameplay was unnecessary for modern Sonic in Generations. In fact, I actually do recall levels in Colors that were completely in 2D; amidst the majority of 3D segments+2D levels nature of acts.

I wouldn't have much of a problem with it if it wasn't mostly comprised of solving Wisp-based puzzles or pulling timed jumps across block platforms through mostly linear platforms-it lacks the flow of Unleashed's transitions between 2D and 3D levels, making it more of a "stop and go" experience. It also goes without saying it's a far cry from the level design of the Genesis games.

Generations I think did partially bring back some elements of the Rush/Unleashed level design; but also had it's share of block platforming and compromised a little more than half of modern Sonic's 2D/3D gameplay ratio. Classic Sonic's gameplay had the lion's share of block platforming, though it tried to remedy it with alternate paths in level design and having more level-respective hazards and gameplay gimmicks that Colors and Unleashed -as you noted- tended to lack.

I didn't like that in Sonic Colors you needed the wisps aliens to boost. In Sonic Generations it was better because you can do lots of things to earn a boost like getting rings, hitting robots and doing tricks. In Sonic Unleashed you it was the same but you can't do tricks. Sonic Rush you needed rings and tricks and the boost was slow :[