Awoo.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)

FourCartridge

Need that Install base though don't you.

I always saw Naughty Dog the team that makes their own unique titles and that helps build the install base. Jak, Uncharted, Last of Us. I'd rather see a revival of Jak instead of the 5th Uncharted title. Crash Bandicoot, Jak & Daxter,

I never found what was so exciting about Uncharted 3. I played it and it left a taste that wasn't so good. Hopefully 4 will undo that taste.

Edited by Autosaver

It has been already mentioned in this thread, but you don't know how disappointed I am with Naughty Dog with this announcement.

IMO Uncharted 3 was stale, was beginning to feel like a chore and they should end it there. I couldn't even finish the game. Naughty Dog proved they still got it by making a new IP and being a success (TLoU, even though I never played it because it's not my type of game) so why are going back to Uncharted to play safe?

Uncharted 2 is the only Uncharted game I loved, and it will probably always will be. Nathan Drake will never be a strong icon like Mario, Sonic or Master Chief as these guys changed the way of gaming. Nathan Drake still hasn't reached the level of Crash yet after 4 games!

Personally after the disappointment of Uncharted 3, I'll never buy Uncharted 4 at launch. I was one of the idiots who saw 10/10's everywhere thinking Uncharted 3 is a million times better than 2. Not this time.

If it's a huge improvement over Uncharted 3 then I'll give it go. Anything lower then I'll be glad I saved my money.

People are getting a little tired of Halo already...Halo 4 was pants compared to all its previous games (except Wars) and Uncharted is following Halo's footsteps...

Edited by Ming Ming Hatsune

Yeah uncharted has never really been my thing either and I hope it doesn't become one of those things that gets 6 sequels simply because its popular (though I won't deny it being an okay series). 

^ Only like 6 people I know over the years knows Nathan Drake and Uncharted. And they all own a PlayStation. I doubt Uncharted's that popular in general.

To those saying Uncharted is going to attract tons of gamers to the PS4, did Uncharted attract a lot of gamers to the Vita?

Edited by Ming Ming Hatsune

^ Only like 6 people I know over the years knows Nathan Drake and Uncharted. And they all own a PlayStation. I doubt Uncharted's that popular in general.

To those saying Uncharted is going to attract tons of gamers to the PS4, did Uncharted attract a lot of gamers to the Vita?

No, it didn't, but there are other issues with the Vita.

And even if Uncharted isn't a huge crowd-puller, I can see no other reason for Uncharted 4 to exist. Its there for a job, whether or not it succeeds....well only time can tell.

On par with the likes of Zelda, Gears of War, Mass Effect, Bioshock or God of War (if not more successful in some cases).

On par with the likes of Zelda, Gears of War, Mass Effect, Bioshock or God of War (if not more successful in some cases).

Nahh Zelda (or at least the character Link) is more popular than Nathan Drake/Uncharted. The others listed I can agree though.

Nahh Zelda (or at least the character Link) is more popular than Nathan Drake/Uncharted. The others listed I can agree though.

Actually, it's one of the exceptions. Zelda games sell less than Uncharted. It's more "iconic or "recognizable" of a franchise for aficionados, but moves less software than you'd expect (still in the millions, mind you).

Actually, it's one of the exceptions. Zelda games sell less than Uncharted. It's more "iconic or "recognizable" of a franchise for aficionados, but moves less software than you'd expect (still in the millions, mind you).

23krurn.jpg

There's no way Sony have actually managed to make a character more popular than one of Nintendo's

There's no way Sony have actually managed to make a character more popular than one of Nintendo's

A year or two ago Skyward Sword's numbers were around 3.5m (as per Nintendo press releases) and then we all know what happened to Wii software.

Uncharted 2 was ~5m at the time IIRC, and U3 performed even better. It has nothing to do with the character. I mean, Drake's charming and all but he's part of a bigger whole that simply caters to a wider audience than the Zelda formula nowadays.

Tho you don't have to look too deep to find Sony franchises that are more popular than ones with classic Nintendo characters. Metroid games have trouble breaking a single million :/

X game selling more than Y game does not make X a more popular character.

1) Zelda has been around for many decades.

2) Uncharted 3 has been bundled for years with the PS3, causing an increase of sales.

Metroid games have trouble breaking a single million :/

"Trouble breaking"

8.5 million sales across Metroid Prime Franchise

How can you honestly type that and expect people to believe it?

It's sold over 17 million units and that figure was accurate as of April 2012.

Go and ask anyone who rarely plays games. They will know Mario, Sonic, Call of Duty, Pokemon, Halo...even Assassin's Creed. If you show a picture of Link and Kirby to them, they'll most likely seen these two before. Uncharted and Nathan Drake? Nope...

17 million units sold for an exclusive is very impressive though. I find that strange it sold that much and it still not that popular in general.

X game selling more than Y game does not make X a more popular character.

How would you accurately measure them?

1) Zelda has been around for many decades.

2) Uncharted 3 has been bundled for years with the PS3, causing an increase of sales.

"Trouble breaking"

8.5 million sales across Metroid Prime Franchise

So you're saying Zelda games don't get bundled? And you're working against yourself here: if it's been around for so many years AND was released on a console with triple the userbase, why can't it beat Uncharted numbers?

Going by recent numbers Uncharted is, right now, the bigger console franchise. Link has had decades of exposure and I'm pretty sure more people can identify him, but unless something changes he's not 'popular' enough for people to pick his game more often than Drake's.

As for Metroid, the 4 Prime games have been around for longer and seen some re-releases, but it's still a franchise that takes a while to reach their usual 1-2 million range. I don't think Other M ever did but that one might have had a good reason. 

Go and ask anyone who rarely plays games. They will know Mario, Sonic, Call of Duty, Pokemon, Halo...even Assassin's Creed. If you show a picture of Link and Kirby to them, they'll most likely seen these two before. Uncharted and Nathan Drake? Nope...

Thing is, people who "Rarely play games" aren't going to buy any console and play any game, whether the game uses a recognised 20+ year old character, or otherwise. People who "Rarely play games", will probably go buy an iPad if they don't already own one, and play Candy Crush Saga all day.

Uncharted may not be as iconic as Zelda, and you're right, but it has a huge following and is just as likely, to shift consoles as a Zelda game, if not moreso (based on current market trends).

17 million units sold for an exclusive is very impressive though. I find that strange it sold that much and it still not that popular in general.

The answer is no mystery. Its cause Uncharted is popular.

Besides, its about the character. Its about the game.

You've mentioned Call of Duty. That game doesn't have a character who represents the face of the franchise, but people have heard the name Call of Duty. In the same way, I'm sure there are more people thank you think, who've heard Uncharted being tossed around by the odd gamer. Maybe they don't know who Nathan Drake is, but does that really matter.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 1

Aww, c'mon, you're so close to getting the point.

I'm pretty sure large numbers of sales accounts for the popularity of the series 'in general'.

Edited by Heinous Creature

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is it normal for staff to leave companies in the transition to a new console generation?

Between this and recent Sony layoffs, I'm getting very weary of their future prospects...

Is it normal for staff to leave companies in the transition to a new console generation?

Between this and recent Sony layoffs, I'm getting very weary of their future prospects...

I don't think this instance is a layoff, this might just be the action of $$$ or the dude wanted a change.

The layoffs at the rest of Sony, are because the company needs to streamline itself. Its already cut its loss-making Vaio division and converted its Bravia division into a subsidiary. Cuts in the gaming division are probably to be expected given the state of the rest of the company.

As for how this will impact the games?

That remains to be seen. Sony has a shit load of first and second party developers, in spite of the job cuts.

They probably still have tons of talent coming through, though its a shame to see so many people having to go. Again, its hard to say how this will end up, but I think Sony has enough in the pipeline and enough talent behind it, to ensure the PS4 has plenty games through the generation.

If they can turn their overall financial situation around, I'm pretty sure they'll eventually start hiring again.