Awoo.

How can Sumo top ASRT?

8ther

Even thought Diddy Kong Racing did it first hovercars and airplanes, Sonic & All-stars racing transformed pulled out the formula better than DKR ever did which brings me to this question. How can sumo digital top ASRT, I personally don't think they Sumo and go anywhere else with the series without being compared to other racing games, i mean if they use anti-gravity then people would call it a Crash Nitro Kart ripoff, if they use a tag team mechanic then people would call it a Mario Kart Double Dash rip off, if they try add guns to the mix then people would call it a Twisted Metal ripoff,

I don't see what direction they can go with the series tbh.

It's always going to be compared to other games because it is part of an existing culture, the same as every other game on the planet. The ASR series doesn't need to be some mind-bending, genre-transcending experience to warrant its existence. It basically needs to keep doing what it's been doing- which is offering up a fun experience using the foundation and mechanics they've personally laid.

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly, I would be okay if they kept with this gameplay style, improved on it and made all star moves a meter that you fill to do an attack that can be avoided but is still pretty handy. Also, better battle mode options would be cool since I feel as though this is the games only real weak side and I would really hope for some CTR levels of insanity with it.

Mod capability would really be an awesome component, for the reasons stated above. I don't care if that means they'd have to limit it to computers, as I think it'd more than pay off with the fact there'd be a reason for a community to develop around it; you no longer have to wait for new levels when you finish the old ones, but can make your own. Taking advantage of the grassroots ability of a fandom to entertain itself is always something to consider. It's obvious they're not really big on the DLC scene.

ASRT is such a brilliant and unique racer, I don't want to see Sumo try to top it with another massive shake-up to the formula. It completely blurs the lines between realistic racer and Mario Kart, while bringing a whole new experience to the table. See, ASR was a really good Mario Kart clone. It did a few things differently, but ultimately only hit the same niche. The sequel changed that. I'd much rather see them create an ASRT2 that just tries to expand on everything that ASRT did so well first up, because I really want more of it. If I had to fault it, I'd only do so on the grounds that some of the missions were too brutal in their design pre-patch, and that technically is was pretty rough around the edges in some areas.

It's a crime that the series isn't receiving the same recognition as Mario Kart. It's single-handedly dominated the genre since '92, with only a few titles coming close to matching it, and Sumo have now managed to do that twice in a row.

And for the love of God, bring back Big! I sorely missed him in ASRT

sad.png

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

A direct sequel to Transformed seems like the way to go. There's no need to reinvent the wheel (no pun intended) just yet when the air/land/sea mechanics still have so potential.

Steam workshop support though? That would be fucking magical.

Hmm, if they were to do a sequel to ASRT, I'd like to see greater variation in the vehicles- possibly with alt vehicles for each character? Something similar to the way the Riders series does things, I suppose.

Though to actually TOP ASRT... I'd much rather see a fighter.

Maybe make it not so shitty to unlock characters.

This, and by consequence, not making the singleplayer tour mode absolutely painful to play. I can't even begin to count the number of times I was sent through boring and frustrating trials and gimmicks left wondering when I'd get to do some actual racing again.

Though to actually TOP ASRT... I'd much rather see a fighter.

Ultimately though, I think I'm going to have to second this more.

This, and by consequence, not making the singleplayer tour mode absolutely painful to play. I can't even begin to count the number of times I was sent through boring and frustrating trials and gimmicks left wondering when I'd get to do some actual racing again.

I'm not sure I understand you here. None of the missions are gimmicky. Each mission type tests the player on a specific skill and once learned, these skills can be applied to a normal race.

Ring Race? Maneuvering through the air.

Traffic Attack? Mastering the car controls in regards to dodging obstacles. 

World Tour mode is very much just a big tutorial mode.

I'm not sure I understand you here. None of the missions are gimmicky. Each mission type tests the player on a specific skill and once learned, these skills can be applied to a normal race.

Ring Race? Maneuvering through the air.

Traffic Attack? Mastering the car controls in regards to dodging obstacles. 

World Tour mode is very much just a big tutorial mode.

Yeah, I actually really liked some of the trials myself, especially the ring races. Though I guess for the more casual crowd it would be a good idea to have alternative methods of unlocking things since the world tours really only meant for people who are looking for a challenge and I hope for the next game they bring in some boat trials and some more plane and car trials.

• 2 weeks later...

How can Sumo up ASRT? Not fuck around it's consumers for one, and actually put characters we give a fuck about up for DLC instead of shit, PC only characters when most people bought the game on consoles on release.

Just a wild stab in the dark here, you know, provide for those that are interested in it?

• Thumbs Up 4

How can Sumo up ASRT? Not fuck around it's consumers for one, and actually put characters we give a fuck about up for DLC instead of shit, PC only characters when most people bought the game on consoles on release.

Just a wild stab in the dark here, you know, provide for those that are interested in it?

I can support this notion. If you ask me, with all the care they give to the PC crowd while giving everyone else the finger, they may as well have made the game PC-only. If you're going to be multiplatform, actually make it so you're... you know, multiplatform. There's nothing wrong with being exclusive to one or two platforms, but if you aren't, then don't act like you are. Where's all the DLC for the non-PC people?

And I say that despite having the PC version. It just seems kind of odd to release it on so many systems and then basically locking anyone without the PC version in a box.

• Thumbs Up 1

Remove Traffic Attack and all other manner of nonsense that make single player a chore to play through. Pretty much everything that isn't Race, Boost Race or Ring Race is total garbage.

Make the boat controls less slippery. Pretty much all of my favorite tracks in the game are ones that do not have water for a reason.

Choose a better roster of characters and either make their unlock conditions less obnoxious or don't lock them away at all. The bane of both of these fucking games is the fact that you have to go to such ridiculous lengths to unlock characters and tracks for use. I have to beat all five normal and all five mirror Grand Prix for Eggman? Fuck you!

On that same note, could you please stop making the save files for these games fucking copy protected on the PlayStation 3 so once I do all the painstaking work required for all of the game's main content I don't have to repeat all of it on another console or carry my own console around in order to access it? That really pisses me off.

A track creator / editor would be cool but ultimately unnecessary and not really something I'm personally clamoring for. I'm all for more customization in regards to the existing characters and their vehicles tho'. Accessories for the karts and characters themselves would be cool.

Kart modifications that let you drive the way you want with your favorite character would be a godsend. Mods in Transformed were cool but I still felt pretty limited due to the selection. Some characters that I really enjoy using simply don't have mods that suit my driving style. It didn't help that you had to grind experience with that particular character for so long only for you to get a mod that's practically worthless (Super Handling, really?).

The items are boring. Yeah, they're more interesting than they were in the original All-Stars Racing but they're still really fucking boring. What is keeping Sumo Digital from modeling the items after different Sega IPs so that they have more character to them? And on the subject of items, why is getting All-Star moves completely fucking random and the moves themselves still ridiculously unbalanced? Part of me just wants them removed entirely.

Fuck all this, actually. Make a fighting game.

• Thumbs Up 2

Some of these points are probably more up to Sega than to Sumo Digital.  But with any luck, if Sega believe they can place confidence in Sumo's decision-making, they might grant a little more leeway.