Awoo.

Kick-Ass

Lamor

j1je.jpg

Kick-Ass is a comic book series written by Mark Millar and illustrated by John Romita Jr. published by Marvel. It tells the story of Dave Lizewski, an ordinary high school student that takes his interest in comics as inspiration to become a superhero. He starts fighting crime which would probably end with him being dead if not for Hit-Girl and Big Daddy - two violent superhero vigilantes. Together they will have to face gangsters and an army of supervillain wannabes led by The Motherfucker (Yes, that's his name).

There's also a movie series based on the comic. It's nowhere near as gory and depressing but I do like its lighter take on the source material. Here's a trailer for the first one:

I was introduced to Kick-Ass through the first movie and finished reading the comics yesterday. I absolutely loved it. Hell, it's probably my favourite comic series. Hit-Girl easily took the place of my favourite super-heroine. She's so badass, psychotic and twisted. I love her.

Fondos+de+Pantalla+de+Kick-Ass+2+-+Www.1

So what do you guys think about Kick-ass? Did you read or watched it?

PS: Kick-Ass 3 graphic novel is going to be out on 29 April 2014 and it's going to be (chronologically) the last one. Can't wait @_@

Edited by Lamor
  • Thumbs Up 7

Looks way too violent, and I would take it my parents don't like it. It looks like a good comic, but I don't really care about it much.

Haha, I was wondering when you were going to make this topic! tongue.png  

When I saw the trailer for the first film, it was the first time I had ever heard of Kick-Ass. Both films are a lot of fun. I haven't read the comic books.

Do you think they will make a third film? I hope they do.

• Thumbs Up 1

Haha, I was wondering when you were going to make this topic! :P  

When I saw the trailer for the first film, it was the first time I had ever heard of Kick-Ass. Both films are a lot of fun. I haven't read the comic books.

Do you think they will make a third film? I hope they do.

Third films in the superhero genre are never a good thing. Superman 3, Batman Forever, Spider-Man 3, Blade Trinity, Iron Man 3, suffer a lot from bad direction, and in some cases (Spider-Man 3...), go against what was previously established.

If a third Kick-Ass comes to be, I hope it's the first good superhero trilogy all around.

Sorry for that tangent, move on with your merry lives.

I'm a huge huge HUGE fan of the movie, it's in my top 5 favorite movies all time. I think it's seriously like the most perfect example of a 3 act structure I've ever seen in a film, and the soundtrack is also probably my favorite movie soundtrack (and it works perfectly to listen to while reading most comics)

I'm actually not as big of a fan of the comic series, I don't think the story and character's are as good in it, though it's ok for the most part. Not something that I've fallen in love with by any means.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm a huge huge HUGE fan of the movie, it's in my top 5 favorite movies all time. I think it's seriously like the most perfect example of a 3 act structure I've ever seen in a film, and the soundtrack is also probably my favorite movie soundtrack (and it works perfectly to listen to while reading most comics)

I'm actually not as big of a fan of the comic series, I don't think the story and character's are as good in it, though it's ok for the most part. Not something that I've fallen in love with by any means.

I completely agree with you on the first part. The first movie is all the way up there with the old-school Star Wars. BTW 'Hit Girl Drives Home' is a beautiful track ;_;

Now on that second part... I personally found the characters in the comics to be better but I should probably watch the sequel before I compare them because right now it wouldn't be fair for the film saga.

I definitely do prefer the comic version of the story though. Dunno, maybe I'm just masochistic but I like the helplessness and the fact that pretty much everybody is a an asshole (Big Daddy & Hit-Girl's backstory is a good example of this.)

I've read the first series of comics and I've seen both movies. I don't care much for the comics but the movies are fantastic!

I read a bit of the comics, I really didn't like it. Movie however is fucking awesome. They seem to be for different audiences so I would honestly not be surprised if fans of the comic hated the movie. It's definitely a lot more optimistic and accessible compared to the original version.

• Thumbs Up 1

Surprisingly, I never read the comic book around the time it came out, being the ginormous comic book reader I used to be, but I love the first film to pieces (haven't watched the 2nd one yet), but I absolutely adore the movie to pieces. Hell, I think it may even be one of my favorite comic book movies of all time. The soundtrack is top notch while being strangely fitting (Hit Girl mutilating thugs with Banana Splits in the background), the action is jaw dropping, and all of the characters are just a joy to watch. Kick Ass himself is a likeable and relatable protagonist, but Hit Girl and Big Daddy steal the show.

Damnit, Hit Girl needs to have her own film! I would see that on opening day, she's just such an awesome anti hero and right up there with Sarah Connor and Ellen Ripley as my favorite movie heroine. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I love the comics. I've only seen the first movie, and ehhhhh... it was alright, I guess. The point of the comics is that geeks shouldn't want to be superheroes, because there's a lot of consequences that can ruin your life (and by extension, the lives of everyone around you) that come with it, as real life is VERY different from comic books. Mark Miller is pretty much scolding the reader for wanting to be a superhero for the sake of having a more interesting life, in a "be careful what you wish for; you just might get it" type of scenario. The movie tones this aspect down significantly, to make it less depressing and more funny.

The biggest differences between the first comic series and the first movie, IIRC are:

-Red Mist being a completely insane sociopath that's obsessed with super villains in the comics, rather than the more sympathetic nice guy rich kid he is in the movie.

-Dave/Kick-Ass is much more aggressive and violent as a "superhero".

-Big Daddy was originally a boring accountant that got tired of his crappy lifestyle after his wife dumped him, leading to kidnap his daughter and train her to become Hit Girl, making her believe that her father is a cop and that her mom was killed by the mafia, and he paid for his weapons and gear by selling ultra rare old comic books he had collected over the years. The movie made Big Daddy's fake back story into a real one.

-The climax wasn't as over-the-top and crazy in the comics; it ended with Dave beating Red Mist to a pulp, then shooting Red Mist's dad in the dick with a pistol, with Hit Girl dealing the killing blow afterwards. No jet packs, no machine guns, no rocket launchers.

-Kick-Ass never sneaked into Katie's room in the comics; he just walked to her house after getting a contact high from Red Mist's weed, shouted random nonsense at her window, then ran away before she could see him.

-Big Daddy was shot in the head, instead of being burned alive, and Kick-Ass had his balls hooked up to an electric car battery while being tortured by the mafia in the comics.

-At the end of the first comic series, when Dave confessed to Katie that he wasn't actually gay (and he never tells her that he's Kick-Ass), she got pissed off, had her black boyfriend beat the shit out of him, and later texted him a picture of her giving said boyfriend a blow job. Dave being the pathetic loser that he is, jacks off to it anyway. In the movie, Katie actually developed feelings for Dave, and the two hooked up after he confessed that he wasn't gay and that he's actually Kick-Ass.

Edited by Tomoki
  • Thumbs Up 1

I loved the first movie, haven't seen the second yet.

I didn't care too much for the comic series though. I'm not opposed to violence, blood and gore in comics and media but I felt Kick Ass was gore for gore's sake and a series which I'd been led to believe was pretty grown up, was just juvenile.

That said, i've only read the first few issues. It might get better as it goes on.

• Thumbs Up 1

Only saw the movie and I liked it.

Despite the negative reviews I'm willing to see the sequel.

I loved the first movie, haven't seen the second yet.

I didn't care too much for the comic series though. I'm not opposed to violence, blood and gore in comics and media but I felt Kick Ass was gore for gore's sake and a series which I'd been led to believe was pretty grown up, was just juvenile.

That said, i've only read the first few issues. It might get better as it goes on.

Yeah gore in the first two graphic novels is pretty disgusting. However I kinda feel like they did it on purpose to show how shitty it is to be a superhero (and to show that Hit-Girl is a total sadist psycho).

Kick-Ass 2 kinda toned down its violence but replaced it with a lot of gut punches - once again to show you why being a superhero is a bad idea and to show that the Motherfucker is a motherfucker.

Edited by Lamor

• 2 months later...

I just watched Kick-Ass 2 and it's really entertaining. It tells the same story as the comic but does it in it's own way - just like the first Kick-Ass.

Acting is still great. Hit-Girl once again steals the show and Christopher Mintz-Plasse is absolutely hilarious as The Motherfucker. The movie had some plot points from the Hit-Girl spin-off comic too (Uncle Ralphie!).

There are a few things that bothered me though. Pacing is a little bit weird. It's way too fast for my tastes but who knows, maybe it will make it more rewatchable. 

Fight scenes are not as awesome as in the first movie but they are still great. My favourite is probably the 'Hit-Girl To The Rescue' fight followed closely by the Hit-Girl vs. Mother Russia.

Also they went a bit overboard with some jokes in this movie (spoilers for Kick-Ass 2 movie and comic)

This whole radio-transmitter device that makes people puke and crap wasn't funny. Mindy's revenge on the girl bullies in the comics was much more satisfying.

I also didn't like that they they turned The Motherfucker raping a girl (which was one of the darkest moments of the books) into 'I can't get a boner' joke. Serioulsy... why?

All in all, it's still an entertaining flick. I would definitely recommend especially if you liked the first one.

Did you guys see the movie? If yes then what is your favourite fight scene and what do you think about the movie itself?