Awoo.

User Group Modifications

Chris

This presents a bit of a problem.  You see, I like to talk to myself and if I don't get a notification, I'll never know when to reply to myself. I'm sure you can emphasize with this, so please remove the notification storage limit.

I'm just kidding.  Everything sounds good here. XP

• Thumbs Up 1

Several modifications have been made to every current user group, including the following:

• PM inbox capacity has been increased (member one in particular doubled);
  • Maximum stored notifications have been capped at 250 (from infinite). Further notifications prompt the software to delete the oldest present;
  • Maximum likes per day increased to 50 from 25 (dislikes still disabled);
  • ’Tagging’ system enabled;
  • Members can now remove the “edited by” prompt when editing posts;
  • The "like expiry" issue should be fixed for future posts;
  • Maximum display name changes increased to 3 per 14 days for the holidays from 2 per 14;
  • Users can now invite 10 members to a personal conversation, up from 5;
  • Personal photo (avatar) filesize increased dramatically.

Happy Thanksgiving and stay safe over the holidays.

Thank you so much for this! It was a bit of a hassle trying to crop my avatars to fit within the 75KB limit. Great to hear that's no longer the case now! Thanks again! :D

Hmm, if I may ask, what exactly does the "tagging" system do?

It allows you to assign search tags to your topics, thus making it easier to find in the search.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, heh. I forgot that the member flood control for searching has been cut in half (10 sec --> 5 sec); retired staff have had it completely removed (for a few weeks now actually).

• Thumbs Up 1

Several modifications have been made to every current user group, including the following:

• Maximum stored notifications have been capped at 250 (from infinite). Further notifications prompt the software to delete the oldest present;
  • Maximum likes per day increased to 50 from 25 (dislikes still disabled);
  • Maximum display name changes increased to 3 per 14 days for the holidays from 2 per 14;

I'm personally the most excited about the increase in "likes" one can give. Ever since I've joined here, I've honestly lost count of how many times I got the "You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day", error message, and that would drive me crazy! Especially when a hot topic takes off with a ton of posts I feel are worthy of a "like". Now I hope to never see that message again! Overall, all these changes look great as they will enhance and facilitate everyone's experience here. Thanks! smile.png

• Thumbs Up 3

So....how big was the avatar filesize increase exactly?

75kb --> 200kb. I made a typo in it the first time which has now been fixed.

• Thumbs Up 1

The filesize limit for avatars greatly increases my potential for surprisingly animated avatars come next halloween thanks to not having to reduce the colours in gif form.  >D

Also inbox size increase is greatly appreciated.

Glorious. 

I for one welcome our new Chris overlords.

(dislikes still disabled)

Still huh? dry.png . Can we still dislike via liking then quickly de-liking?

Awesome! we seriously needed that boost, I had to delete a bunch of my archived PMs and some were quite important.

Can we have the sub-title system back instead? smile.png Never had a use for those tags with the old system.

THANK YOU! Seriously, that was an outdated relic that needed to go, seeing as I'm a guy who allways fucks up posts I constantly edit and 9/10ths of my posts allways have that edit mark.

What was going on that started all that?

How much exactly? whats the exact sizes we can go up to now?

You too! thanks for the update.

Still huh? dry.png . Can we still dislike via liking then quickly de-liking?

Can we have the sub-title system back instead? smile.png Never had a use for those tags with the old system.

How much exactly? whats the exact sizes we can go up to now?

Yes, you can; that is, if you want to throw away one of your 50 likes as well as not actually show anybody that you disliked it. The dislike system was removed due to abuse and will not be returning.

Invision Board discontinued the 'sub-title' system years ago when they built IPB3 (which was a complete rewrite of IPB2 with features more similar to that of Facebook and Twitter).

I answered it a few posts above yours: 75kb --> 200kb.

Yes, you can; that is, if you want to throw away one of your 50 likes as well as not actually show anybody that you disliked it. The dislike system was removed due to abuse and will not be returning.

Invision Board discontinued the 'sub-title' system years ago when they built IPB3 (which was a complete rewrite of IPB2 with features more similar to that of Facebook and Twitter).

I answered it a few posts above yours: 75kb --> 200kb.

Yes I remember why it was removed seeing as I was there when the +/- system got traded in for the like system, still against the reasoning but thats in the past as long we still have a way to dislike and like to I'm good.

I hate to bring another board into this, but Retro is running IP.Board 3.1.4 and they still have the sub-title system in-tact. are you sure theres not another way to bring the sub title system back via board mods or something and keep the tag system?

Nono not the kb size, but the dimensions of your pic in question. is it still 150x150 or something else now?

Okay...this in particular is the only thing I'm really concerned about as far as potential forum drama goes. If you guys feel it's fine, then I guess there's not much to worry about, but I'm not gonna complain one bit if this privilege is revoked due to rampant abuse.

But this,

Is awesome. Thank you.

...so what about the quote system?

Fucking A changes. Especially the avatar file-size increase and optional edited by.

Nice to see the like expiry glitch fixed too. That was a tad annoying.

I for one, am happy to be a user on a forum where my Chris Overlord watches over me and gives me the right to put a larger Avatar picture on my profile! smile.png

AbraCatastrophe102.png

No but seriously that is a much needed improvement because the avatar size was ridiculously small, so thanks Chris.

Awesome! I really appreciate some of these changes :)

I just have a couple of questions though. Firstly, why do message boards in general have PM storage limits at all? Almost every message board I've been registered on has had such a limit, and I've never actually understood why. Also, what was the "like expiry" bug?

Okay...this in particular is the only thing I'm really concerned about as far as potential forum drama goes. If you guys feel it's fine, then I guess there's not much to worry about, but I'm not gonna complain one bit if this privilege is revoked due to rampant abuse.

The report button sends an unmodified version of the original message, so if you see something being misused, then report it to us.

I just have a couple of questions though. Firstly, why do message boards in general have PM storage limits at all? Almost every message board I've been registered on has had such a limit, and I've never actually understood why.

PM storage limits exist because PM's (as does any aspect of the board) take up disk space on the server.  Giving each user a limit on their inbox capacity keeps the amount of space occupied by each user down to a reasonable minimum so that we have room to expand and accommodate for more users.  That's just one of a few answers, though.  =)

• Thumbs Up 2

The report button sends an unmodified version of the original message, so if you see something being misused, then report it to us.

You mean when the very first post before it was edited?

Cool beans then. Nothing to worry about.

• Thumbs Up 1

You mean when the very first post before it was edited?

Cool beans then. Nothing to worry about.

Well, it sends the version that you send us.  So as long as you don't refresh the page when you see it, then we'll still see it if you report it to us.

PM storage limits exist because PM's (as does any aspect of the board) take up disk space on the server.  Giving each user a limit on their inbox capacity keeps the amount of space occupied by each user down to a reasonable minimum so that we have room to expand and accommodate for more users.  That's just one of a few answers, though.  =)

Does not the vast majority of a user's data footprint on the server consist of their posts and threads though? Or are PMs different because they don't contribute in the same way and can't be monitored in the same way as posts?

Also, so I'm not misunderstood, I don't have a problem with the limit (especially not now that it's been increased); I'm just curious.

Does not the vast majority of a user's data footprint on the server consist of their posts and threads though? Or are PMs different because they don't contribute in the same way and can't be monitored in the same way as posts?

Depends on the user, but I'd assume in most instances, you're correct.  However, topics and threads are our primary function.  We kind of don't want to limit those if we can help it. ^^;

Well, it sends the version that you send us.  So as long as you don't refresh the page when you see it, then we'll still see it if you report it to us.

Okay, so it still has a down, but that's only if you don't catch it in time or screw up when you do.

Well, not too big an issue then.