Awoo.

"Sonic 1 8-bit" music found

baba_944

Kroc, a member of "Sonic Retro", has recently discovered a hidden music file deep within "Sonic The Hedgehog (8-bit)" data file. Could this confirmed that the "SEGA GENESIS" version was going to be 8-bitified?  So that's was the "Bat Brain" was doing in the data file.

Source 1: http://www.tssznews.com/2013/11/23/marble-zone-music-found-in-sonic-1-for-master-system/

Source 2: http://info.sonicretro.org/Game_Secrets:Sonic_the_Hedgehog_%288-bit%29 (see "Unused Badnik").

• Thumbs Up 2

As a big fan of the Master System titles this is super neat news and of great intrigue to me, even though I love Sonic 1 8-bit for its differences overall.  The song certainly sounds right out of Sonic 1 8-bit's music style.

I love Marble Zone's music, and it's probably my favorite song in Sonic 1, so hearing a MS version was pretty fucking sweet. :)

Wow, that's cool.

The only thing I find almost suspect is that it took this long for people to notice. D: How could something like this have gone undiscovered for so long?

That's pretty interesting, also makes sense considering the unused bat badnik so it must have been originally a cut down port until Sega or Ancient decided to make it more unique. Actually I think it worked out better on the long run otherwise hardly anyone would buy the Master System version due to persceptions of being a weaker version (some like Castle of Illusion also had different stages/layouts and both versions are remembered in their own rights).

Wow, that's cool.

The only thing I find almost suspect is that it took this long for people to notice. D: How could something like this have gone undiscovered for so long?

My guess is that it used a non-standard Master System sound driver, rather like Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap where you pretty much have to hack the ROM or have a disassembly to find the music due to having no easily accessable music drivers. The list here shows which kind of sound trigger many Master System games have [missing are some of the European 3rd party games, such as the ones that Matt Furniss done]. It is also why the unused Sunset Park boss music in Sonic Chaos was found fairly quickly as soon as the info was given. Doesn't help that the unused Marble Zone song didn't have an ID like the other songs making it harder to find.

Another reason why it took so long to find is also because not as many people are interested in the Master System due to being only successful in Europe (e.g. UK, France, Germany, Spain) and Brazil plus it wasn't cloned like the NES or the Mega Drive in countries such as Russia and China, the ones that are really are passionate with the system have done a lot of research however they are very busy people. Shame really since it is a lovely console.

Since Sonic 2 8-bit was my first and still one of my fave Sonic games it makes me wish someone could discover something else new in that.  But since unused graphics and the Game Gear's good ending song was already discovered in the Master System version, I'm guessing that's our lot.

This also makes me wonder about the other zones seen in the "SEGA GENESIS" version. Like "Starlight Zone", "Spring Yard Zone", and "Final Zone".

It's a great find indeed. If the game was cut down from 512k to 256k to save on production costs, it might just been easier for them to just scrap the level altogher and use bits and pieces to make new ones. Bridge Zone's backround graphics could of been Marble's at one point, who knows.

I always thought the mountain background in Bridge Zone looked like the ones in Marble Zone, and now it turns out I wasn't looking too deep into things after all

I always thought the mountain background in Bridge Zone looked like the ones in Marble Zone, and now it turns out I wasn't looking too deep into things after all

You know, maybe said mountains were part of the scrapped "Marble Zone"?