Awoo.

Temporal Duality : OverClockedRemix does Sonic CD

Tracker_TD

Well hey, Club Needlemouse got a topic, so I suppose this should fly. If not, apologies, no idea if this constitutes just advertising or not. I tried putting a bit of effort in to justify it at least. X3

10ds7qc.png
"I was feeling kind of manic, in a palmtree panic

So I changed my sadness to metallic madness
Rolling down the freeway, the stardust speedway
Whipping like a boss in collision chaos
The tidal tempest is coastal bound, but I know the fastest thing around
So whip out the wacky workbench, open the ports,

and plot a course to the quadrant of quartz, unh..."

Oooooh man~. OverClocked Remix put out a new Sonic tribute album, this time tackling Sonic CD - in particular, this includes both the US OST and the JP OST. 

Temporal Duality is the 45th album published by OverClocked ReMix and arranges music from Sonic CD, released in 1993 for the Sega CD. It features 38 tracks arranged by 39 artists that cover both the JP/EU and US soundtracks, originally composed by Masafumi Ogata, Naofumi Hataya, Spencer Nilsen, David Young, and Sterling Crew. Sonic CD was unique from other Sonic games of the era due to its time travel system that allowed players to experience 4 variations of each stage. The game featured different soundtracks for the JP/EU and the US releases, which were both ahead of its time for video games, being among the first to have Red Book CD Audio. Spanning 3 discs and numerous genres, Temporal Duality is the fourth OverClocked ReMix album to pay tribute to the 16-bit era of the Sonic The Hedgehog series!

Having listened to the album myself, I've gotta say it's quite lovely - one thing that surprised me was the rap tracks. I'm not too big on rapping, but "Time Traveller's Delight" is perhaps one of my favourite songs on the album.

There's also quite a lot of rather recognisable artists in the roster, such as Funk Fiction and Andy Tunstall (Sonic Before/After the Sequel), DiGiValentine, Rexy and halc to mention a few. 

I do feel the JP tracks outshine the US ones however, firstly due to just general preference from the original OST, and that the US tracks don't really have main melodies - they're almost unrecognisable here.
Another thing is I think whilst the vast majority of tracks are great, for a site that proclaims to have such high standards, some of the vocal work's a tad off at times. Not in the rap department, as I mentioned I love that stuff, but yeah. Even then though, instrumentals are bundled with the album.

Overall though, I really do recommend this - it's a great collection, and in my opinion it's certainly got some definitive remixes on there.

You can find the album here. At the least, give it a look - I reckon it's worth your time, especially given the effort that I have no doubt went into this - it's probably some of OCRemix's best work yet. You can also download individual tracks from the album page.

• Thumbs Up 6

It really is fantastic, I love the last Sonic Boom cover. That man goes ham on the sax.

"Take it all the Way?" Indeedy, probably the greatest take on Sonic Boom I've had the pleasure of hearing.

Excuse me while I go masturbate to this.

.... Um... No.

Anyway... Downloaded this a few nights ago, still need to give it a listen before I can post my thoughts, love the Album and disc cover art tho'

It's so fucking good.

I like it best because they take these Songs and turn them into genres you most likely wouldn't expect. I mean, You got the JP Boss theme, the funky Work that sucker to death, and turn it into a death metal remix. and Toot Toot Sonic Warrior gets an R&B Remix, and Stardust Speedway has a rap and I just……..NNNNNNNGGGGHHH

I think I just orgasmed

I've been listening to this whole album since the Pre-Release Listening Party. It's too damn good, gotta say. ¦D

"This Is Madness" is probably my favorite track, but I love them all. "Time Traveller's Delight" and "Yours Truly, Satan" are two other favs I listen to a lot. ¦ )

.... Um... No.

Anyway... Downloaded this a few nights ago, still need to give it a listen before I can post my thoughts, love the Album and disc cover art tho'

It's a joke. I say that whenever I get extremely excited for something. :P

My favorite here has to be the Stardust Speedway future remix, but I kinda wish the had the Good Future and Bad Future as a separate track. Tho I suppose hat goes with the whole duality theme of the tracks.

I like the album, but I have to say the vocal themes were the weakest tracks on the album. Still a cool album regardless of that.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like the album, but I have to say the vocal themes were the weakest tracks on the album. Still a cool album regardless of that.

Every time OCRemix tries to do vocals, I cringe the whole way through.  Why they must embarrass both me and themselves and ruin perfectly good tracks, I cannot imagine.

I enjoyed the rest, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've only listened to Disc 1 so far, but loved almost all of it.  The only track I really can't get into is the JP/EU Boss theme remix.  I completely approve of Death Metal screaming WORK THAT SUCKER TO DEEEEEEATH but outside of that I can't pick out any of the original melody in the guitar thrashings.  It also feels kind of out of place with all the other tracks on the Disc which overall managed to keep a similar funky vibe going (the tracks really flowed into one another nicely, as oppose to just being a collection of wildly different remixes by different artists).

Thus far, my fave tracks on Disc 1 were Schizophrenic/Collision Chaos, Chips out of Water/Tidal Tempest, Time Traveller's Delight/Stardust Speedway and This is Madness!/Metallic Madness.  Collision Chaos really reminded me of Crumbstepping from After the Sequel actually, which is one of my fave tracks in that.

I'll never get the hatred for vocal tracks though.  If you think they're cheesy perhaps you need to listen to the Sonic CD soundtrack again, because this is the one Sonic game where fun cheesy lyric work is entirely justified.  It was nice of them to include instrumentals too so you can always replace the vocal versions with those in your playlists.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've only listened to Disc 1 so far, but loved almost all of it.  The only track I really can't get into is the JP/EU Boss theme remix.  I completely approve of Death Metal screaming WORK THAT SUCKER TO DEEEEEEATH but outside of that I can't pick out any of the original melody in the guitar thrashings.  It also feels kind of out of place with all the other tracks on the Disc which overall managed to keep a similar funky vibe going (the tracks really flowed into one another nicely, as oppose to just being a collection of wildly different remixes by different artists).

Thus far, my fave tracks on Disc 1 were Schizophrenic/Collision Chaos, Chips out of Water/Tidal Tempest, Time Traveller's Delight/Stardust Speedway and This is Madness!/Metallic Madness.  Collision Chaos really reminded me of Crumbstepping from After the Sequel actually, which is one of my fave tracks in that.

I'll never get the hatred for vocal tracks though.  If you think they're cheesy perhaps you need to listen to the Sonic CD soundtrack again, because this is the one Sonic game where fun cheesy lyric work is entirely justified.  It was nice of them to include instrumentals too so you can always replace the vocal versions with those in your playlists.

I only really take issue with World in Motion - You Can Do Anything, Cosmic Eternity, and Metallic Madness are some of my favourites. World in Motion's vocals just sound forced - it sounds like my daft attempts at singing when I was 9 years old and fucking about with Garageband.

Ah, I admit maybe I was quick to jump the gun on defending vocal tracks as I haven't heard Disc 2 or 3 yet.  The ones on Disc 1 at least, I think were fine or better.

Ah, I admit maybe I was quick to jump the gun on defending vocal tracks as I haven't heard Disc 2 or 3 yet.  The ones on Disc 1 at least, I think were fine or better.

Yeah, Disc 1's fine. Just that one track on Disc 2.

Also, having listened to this, Project Chaos, The Sound of Speed and Hedgehog Heaven, this is the best. Hands down. Now for a Sonic 4 Episode I and II OCReMiX album.

• Thumbs Up 1

You'll probably stone me but I don't recognise most Sonic CD tracks due to never having really played through it.

That said, I'm looking at the tracks I do know, and so far I'd say I'm pretty happy with what I'm hearing.

The Revolution team as a whole seems to quite like Temporal Duality; I will definitely be vouching for Two Futures to be played at the event as it sounds like a party theme.

Wow Disc 3 is amazing.  Please anyone who didn’t enjoy Disc 1 or 2 don’t let it put you off listening to Disc 3 it’s in a league of its own.  I dunno why this version of Sonic Boom wasn’t the frontrunner.  8C  Though I guess it means the majority of my fave tracks are all grouped together lol.

Overall fave tracks:

Disc 1

Schizophrenic [Collision Chaos JP]  - Kruai

Chips out of Water [Tidal Tempest JP] - Rexy

Time Traveller’s Delight [stardust Speedway JP] - OverClocked Assembled

This Is Madness! [Metallic Madness JP] - Main Finger feat. KingTiger, ladyWildfire

Disc 2

Palm Beach SEGA Tan [Palmtree Panic US] - Amphibious

Quadrant of Rock [Quartz Quadrant US] - Jivemaster

Running to the Beat [special Stage US] - Arceace

Take It All the Way [sonic Boom] - Magellanic feat. PROTO·DOME

Disc 3

The Boom (Undeleted) [sonic Boom] - Jivemaster feat. Rabcandy

Undertow to Leatow [Tidal Tempest JP] - Andy Tunstall

Crystal Duration [Metallic Madness JP, Special Stage JP] - Funk Fiction

Two Futures [stardust Speedway JP] - Portanexus

Future Crystalline Luminosity [Quartz Quadrant US] - ladyWildfire feat. Level 99

Gotta Go Faster [Collision Chaos JP, Sonic - You Can Do Anything] - Tuberz McGee

Starway [stardust Speedway US] - djpretzel

Elevator Music [Palmtree Panic “P”mix] - W!SE the all.E

Extra Disc

Time Traveller’s Delight (Instrumental) [stardust Speedway JP] - OverClocked Assembled

Overall I think Future Crystalline Luminosity was my single favourite overall.  So pretty.

• 2 weeks later...

A World in Motion's vocals are ass. But the instrumental version is some serious final boss shit. I fucking love it just by itself, it really would make for a perfect boss theme in a game.

Sonic Boom Undeleted is also probably the best remix of the song ever made.