Awoo.

Top 5 Sonic games from Past Gen

baba_944

"The Sonic Stadium's" latest "Friday Five" got me thinking: What's your top 5 games from last-gen? Here's mine:

"Sonic CD: Remastered"-  Liked playing the original, but with an added unlockable character AND choosing the soundtrack of your liking. Also, the remastered version was created by the game guy who created "Retro Sonic"; Mr. Taxman.

"Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode 1": It's a refreshing "episonic" sequel to "Sonic The Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles" you've waited 16 years for. I had not had issues with the physics (I own the "Wiiware" version). The only downside to this great game, though, is the lives system. WHY DO YOU GIVES US SO MANY LIVES SEGA?! Other than that it's a great game you've waited 16 years for. I've have not yet played "Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode 2" so don't spoil it for me please. Also "Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode 1" has great music.

"Sonic unleashed (PS2)": I only owned this game on the "Playstation 2" so I know this isn't technically "last-gen". But it's still a great game nonetheless. The daytime zones are a blast to play with along with the nighttime zones. I don't really like beat-em-up, but the nighttime zones in here are an exception. Also, lovely music; especially "Rooftop Run" and "Endless Possibilities".

"Sonic Classic Collection": It's the first time all the classic Sonic games have appeared on one portable cartridge.

"Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing (Any format besides "NINTENDO DS")": I don't really like racing games besides the "Mario Kart" series, but outside of that this game's an exception. All your favorite "SEGA" characters go head-to-head in an all-out "Mario Kart" like battle. Also amazing tracks. And it marks Sonic's return to the arcades; something we have yet seen in 15+ years.

What's your "Top 5 Sonic Games Of Last-Gen" list?

EDIT: The only way to increase this topic's longevity is to elaborate WHY you picked the game you've chosen for your list.

EDIT 2: Well now I pulled a dorkish move.. So This shall not be a list. Rather your favorite games from last gen. No lists. 

4: "Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode 1": It's a refreshing "episonic" sequel to "Sonic The Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles" you've waited 16 years for. I had not had issues with the physics (I own the "Wiiware" version). The only downside to this great game, though, is the lives system. WHY DO YOU GIVES US SO MANY LIVES SEGA?! Other than that it's a great game you've waited 16 years for. I've have not yet played "Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode 2" so don't spoil it for me please. Also "Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode 1" has great music.

The physics issues are in every version of the game. I agree that the game has pretty nice and dare I say, underrated music, but... other than that, I disagree entirely with you on Episode 1. It doesn't stand up as a sequel to 3&K at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxILQFLmnmI

But me, personally?

5. CD remake, for the same reasons you stated.

4. ASRT

3. Unleashed, for introducing the boost, its wonderfully-crafted soundtrack and georgous artstyle.

2. Generations, for building upon Unleashed's formula and, in my opinion, improving it dramatically.

1. Rush Adventure, for being the only Dimps game that doesn't feel like a torture device when I play it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Although the CD remake, Unleashed HD, Sonic Colors, and the Sonic 1 remake were all enjoyable for me and would probably crack my top 5, they either don'y contain enough substance and the level design can piss me off (1 and CD remakes), or the game has loads of unnecessary gimmicks that can nearly ruin the game for me( Sun and Moon Medals, Spring-based stages). My favorite Sonic game of the last generation, and even all time, would have to be Sonic Generations.

sonic-generations-1124-025.jpg

True, the plot and final boss are a bit of a let down, and I personally disagree with some of Sonic Team's stage choices( I mean really, Green and Seaside Hill in the same game?) Still, we've got great variety between 2D Classic Sonic and Boosting Modern Sonic, the game looks gorgeous, almost every single remix in the game kicks ass, and there's so much fan service thrown in here that really shows how much Sega and Sonic Team care about their fans. I love this game, it got me back into the Sonic franchise, and it's where my love of the series truly began.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nope, list topics aren't allowed regardless on if you elaborate on your choices or not.

Really? I know we've been lax about backseat moderation but report the topic instead, m'kay?

To quote the rules, in this specific situation:

Forum game threads, request threads and list threads are prone to spam so don't go making any of those bloody things.

While this is has held true in the past, I'm going to let this topic persist as long as your choices are elaborated on like the opening post in the topic (from this point onwards).

I'm not entirely sure about my total top five from the past gen because all in all it's been pretty drab, but there's definitely some unexpected diamonds in the rough.

All-Stars_Racing_Transformed_Gameplay.jp

Namely, the ASR series. A far cry from the typical lazy cash-in spin-off, ASR and ASRT are absolutely fantastic racing games. And on a purely Sonic front they showed a lot of love for the series that I question if even Sonic Team has, and playing through them is an absolute treat for long-time fans. So yeah, they both really deserve to get some mentions in this thread.

Otherwise... it's a toss up between S1'13, SCD'11, Unleashed and Generations. But on that front the only two that I don't have some major beef with are both remakes. It's kind of a shame that I've not been able to enjoy the main series as much as others have done. A "top 5" would suggest that I thought really highly of all of them, but instead it'd more  be the one that I don't feel so negative about.

• Thumbs Up 5

Nope, list topics aren't allowed regardless on if you elaborate on your choices or not.

List topics are generally frowned upon because even when you elaborate on them, they don't encourage replies and conversation as much as people simply listing, and because even when you tell people to elaborate on them, you always get simple list response with simple explanations anyway.  I guess we can let this topic slide, since there is a clear attempt at deeper discussion.  However, I do still see responses that are simply list answers.  So, I'm just going to remind everyone that you must have well-structured, detailed elaborations as to both why you enjoy said game and why you chose it over another game, as well as any other details that may be relevant.

Anyway, yeah, as long as the topic steers in that direction, I think this can be left open.

EDIT - DAMN IT, CHRIS.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 - Sonic and the Secret Rings - Immensely charming game and one that truly was like a can of air freshener back then after Shadow the Hedgehog and ‘06 made the series stink to high heaven with their badness. The settings were atmospheric and very loyal to the game’s inspiration, game design was intriguing, music was really catchy, Sonic’s portrayal was absolutely fantastic and made me start loving him as a character and the story was and still is the best told game story in the series so far. It's just a shame that some of it's ideas are misguided such as making you play to make Sonic even remotely good at what he's doing and the control issues.

4 - Sonic Generations HD - Awesome recreations of some of the series’ best past stages, marginally better level design than HD Unleashed with the added benefit of a skill system that is not overly and/or annoyingly complex, lovely visuals, stonking great ost and charming story despite it’s immense shortcomings.

3 - Sonic 3 & Knuckles - Undeniably a masterpiece and the series’ finest hour when it comes to mastery of what makes Sonic in 2D so great, so entertaining. Timeless soundtrack, awesome, awesome level design, utilizing the three different characters and applying their abilities to the often differing stage layouts is original and refreshing and it has some of the series’ best bosses. Simply a classic and a pinnacle point of the series.

2 - Sonic CD - Wow…just wow. Best soundtrack in the series (Strictly EU/JP one not the shit that is the US one), it’s environmental message is highly commendable for it’s fairness and subtlety and the way it factor’s into the game’s art direction i.e Various time frames show the ins and out’s of technology usage without outright demonizing it like you see in clueless, brainwashing rubbish like Farthing Wood and Captain Planet, level design always presents you with something unique and new such as Quartz Quadrant’s conveyer belts and Wacky Workbench’s bouncy floors, the animated opening and credits sequence are simply made of win and it’s bosses were incredibly original. I actually liked it's level design. The level tropes are some of the best the series has seen.

1 - Sonic Unleashed (STRICTLY HD NOT WII/PS2 VERSION) - Game has consistently been in my number one spot ever since I first played it back in December 2008. Absolutely incredible visuals and OST, stonking great world-building, awesomely charismatic characters especially professor Pickle, it handled Sonic’s characterization superbly, Werehog form is the best form Sonic’s ever had next to his normal form and was very entertaining to play as with a full repetoire of moves and everything about him is whimsical and funny and his design is amazing, day stages were also incredibly good fun and a real spectacle and overall the game exudes ambition, care and passion that is hard to see in such abundance nowadays in the series, the tie-in’s like NOTW and the developers blogs only proving this even more. They don’t make ‘em like Unleashed any more…

• Thumbs Up 2

"Sonic unleashed (PS2)": I only owned this game on the "Playstation 2" so I know this isn't technically "last-gen". But it's still a great game nonetheless. The daytime zones are a blast to play with along with the nighttime zones. I don't really like beat-em-up, but the nighttime zones in here are an exception. Also, lovely music; especially "Rooftop Run" and "Endless Possibilities".

I kinda wanted to chime in in support of the SD version of Unleashed just a little too. I played it on the Wii, I generally enjoyed it. It's not perfect, is missing levels for no good reason, and Sonic Colors is proof of how lazy the Wii/PS2 version of Unleashed was, but it's still pretty decent. I didn't really like the Daytime levels, because they were largely empty (with a couple exceptions), but I loved the Werehog stages. They were generally more fun and gave me things to do, and it was nice having something resembling full-control of Sonic (something I also praise Lost World for) when the other half of the game is more automated. I'd also praise Unleashed in general for its story, some aspects of the world-building (oh, so much potential but you threw it all away, SEGA), and the characterization of Sonic, not to mention how killer the soundtrack is. It's still one of my favorite soundtracks in the franchise.

If I have to list others of the last generation... Can Sonic Rush count? I know DIMPS gets a ridiculous amount of hate, mostly because of Sonic 4, but for what it's worth, Rush was pretty great in my opinion. It may have started the fire of "boost abuse," but it's not quite as reliant on that signature ability as games that would come later. Some of the level design is a little cheap (particularly areas that randomly become bottomless pits), but I'll eat my hat the day I play a platformer that doesn't have some form of "cheapness" in it. The soundtrack is also great, and certainly stands out with more of a hip-hop influence (and I honestly want another Sonic game with this type of influence in its soundtrack). It also introduced Blaze and she's arguably one of the few characters introduced in a while that's had some decent development. That's not something we can say for most of the cast, and it's a damn shame SEGA won't be showing other characters this kind of love ever again if at all (oh well, there's always the comics *ripped to shreds*).

Sonic and the Black Knight is also great, particularly for its writing and story. While it's short, it never felt like Sonic was just thrown into another concept that wasn't designed for him. I hate, hate, hate when people accuse the Storybook games of being "lazy" when they are anything but that. It's OK for Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse, it's OK for Sonic, as far as I'm concerned. And Sonic seems to do a little bit of that "Bugs Bunny" type of thing I love, by sort of playing by the rules of this world (he'll use a sword, though he's not particularly fond of the idea) but turning them in his favor. He's not going to be "chivalrous" (at least as far as being a knight goes), he's going to do this his own way because he doesn't care about rules. He'll do the right thing, even if, by law of the land, it's not ("I guess I can't be the good guy all the time.").

This is what made me really like the character of Sonic again. While I didn't have any particular problem with him in the past, after the Adventure games... he was kind of just "there," because it's still his franchise. Heroes he just did what he always did (I see what inspired the Colors writers, now), Shadow was the same thing, Sonic '06 made him hold the idiot ball for the entire plot and then "killed" him for a lame attempt at shock value. Even Unleashed, while getting Sonic back on track after '06, didn't dive too heavily into his personality (but had some nice little glimmers of light). The Storybooks, Black Knight in particular, gave us the only chance so far to see just why Sonic is such a special character. He's not a particularly complex character, but he has a pretty strict moral code that's all his own (he doesn't turn his back on those in need, even when he has pressing business elsewhere, nor does he care about honor or rules when considering the big picture, etc.).

We can nitpick how the Storybook games play all day and night, but damn I'd love to see a Sonic story written with the level of care and polish of these games (and Unleashed) again.

And finally, there's Sonic Generations. What I love about this game is the brilliant level design and gorgeous scenery. The gameplay is tight, and even the "boost happy" "Modern" Sonic sections aren't as boost happy as people like to accuse it. I do think there is some skill required for this type of play beyond "boost to win," and Generations really hammers that home. Even though I hated the idea of Generations (I hate nostalgia pandering because it's ridiculously lazy), the gameplay and level design blew me away, that I'll give it the props it deserves. The only things I can really criticize the game for is its lack of a narrative (this could've been a masterful use of the Sonic mythology) and the fact that SEGA continued to pay Cash Cash for their lousy music. I especially hated their remixes in the HD version (haven't heard much of their contributions to the 3DS version, but I doubt they're any better), particularly their butchery of "Super Sonic Racing." If the original wasn't a hidden track I could use to replace they're noisy, auto-tuned bullshit, I'd have shut off my speakers during those levels.

Also this could be a great Christmas list since we're in the holiday shopping period. I just though of that.

My Top 5 from last Gen:

5. Sonic Unleashed (HD):

Sonic_unleashed_boxart.jpg

Decent Gameplay on both sides (I liked the daytime stages better obviously), beautiful graphics, a good story, and has my current favorite soundtrack of the series.

4. Sonic Colors (DS):

Hands-On-Sonic-Colors-DS-1.jpg

Probably the best level design of the rush playstyle, great use of the wisp (the void wisp is pretty cool), some good bosses, some good missions, one of the best use of the half-pipe special stages, and of course great music made this one a treat. (watered down version my ass!)

3. Sonic Rush:

Sonic_Rush_Coverart.png

My favorite Sonic Handheld!  Besides maybe Altitude Limit, I enjoyed pretty much everything about this game! Great Job Dimps!

2. Sonic CD (2011 ver.):

300px-Sonic_CD_2011_Android.jpg

Man I love this game! This remake eliminated any problems I would have had with the original version regarding level due to the frame rate and collision detection issues being resolved.  This allowed me to take full advantage the levels and made the special stages all the more easier.  Also this version comes with both soundtracks and Tails as a playable character.  

Shit! I loved this more than Sonic 3K!

1. Sonic Generations (HD):

sonic-generations-review-x360-ps3-pc-2.j

One my favorite video games ever!  Great gameplay, great grapics, and a wonderfully remixed music made this game an absolute joy to play.  Awesome work Sonic Team!

• Thumbs Up 1

3 - Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Verte, I believe the topic said the top 5 Sonic games from the previous gen, not the series altogether. :U

Well my list goes like this:

5. Sonic Rush (2005)

The best Sonic handheld I had ever played. This is one of the few games Dimps done a grand job on. Fun levels and bosses while you run, grind, jump and destroy enemies while listening to the astonishing soundtrack provided by the amazing composer who had worked on famously for Jet Set Radio.

4. Sonic Unleashed (2008)

Werehog aside, I pretty much enjoyed this game due to fantastic daytime levels, brilliant visuals and a good storyline. The soundtrack is without doubt one of my favourites too.

3. Sonic Colours (2010)

I wasn't expecting this game to be really great at all. It has one of the best level designs in any Sonic game and the whole gameplay was fun too. This game had some cool voice acting and not forgetting there are some memorable quotes and comical moments that makes it awesome.

2. Sonic CD Remake

The best Sonic game of all time for me was remade and it was totally worth it. This brings me back good memories all in glorious HD. The mobile version was way much better with improved controls and clearer visuals that makes the whole gameplay easier than the original. The biggest twist of all is that you can play Tails on there too and the opportunity to choose which soundtrack you wish to listen while playing. It is worth buying if you still haven't bought it.

1. Sonic Generations

I was a bit disappointed with the fact that the game was too short than I thought. You know why? This is because it is the best Sonic game of this generation. Never thought the graphics and visuals look good and realistic and the remake of levels was pretty much on the ball. The revived boss battles from memorable past games was good and the remixes of classic tracks was done brilliantly.

This game defines what makes this franchise so special and recognisable in the world.

Worth buying if you haven't bought it.