Awoo.

Your Staples Wishlist

JezMM

So with Christmas around the corner, what office supplies do you hope the businessman fairy will bestow upon your briefcases hung by the fire this year?

Wait no, that's not what this topic was about...  Uhh...

Oh, SERIES staples!  As in stuff that you should feel should be a consistent thing seen in almost every game!

Feel free to post a list (with elaboration, naturally), or just post when something comes to mind.  To start off, a couple from me:

Marathon Mode

Is what I'm affectionately calling what has so far only been seen in Sonic Colours, in the form of the Egg Shuttle.  I really had my hopes up, but after Sonic Generations and Sonic Lost World, it seems the ability to play every stage uninterrupted "classic" style was a one-time thing.

In-Game Voice Toggle

With the introduction of the Deadly Six, and their insistence on yammering the same tired lines at you every single time you dare to casually replay Act 2 or Act 4 of a Zone, or even their utter abuse of sampled lines in the 3DS bosses, I'd love to see this feature from Black Knight make a return if they plan to make talking in-game a thing again.  Even if it's a feature that is only unlocked after beating the story once.

In order to not be too out there, TRY and stick to things that have been introduced to a game then left out of future instalments, but talking about how you'd refine those features is fine.  I mean there's no strict ban on it, I'm just saying anyone who says Archie characters should be a series staple or something has to go and sit in the naughty corner for 20 minutes.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'd like other playable characters (Tails in particular) to be a series staple. And when I say playable, I mean in the same way they were playable in games like S3&K or Sonic Advance. I'm getting tired of being forced to play as Sonic all the time...

Unlockable alternate music for all levels and bosses, drawn from across the series. I swear that was the best feature of Gens and is much better than the old Sound Test mode the series has been playing about with for decades.

• Thumbs Up 7

If Lost World is any indication, I'd like the writers to be given plenty of freedom. I think Lost World is off to a great start in showing a story that has both comedic and dark elements, making for a good mixture; it doesn't come off as too depressing nor too silly. Naturally I can't go into specifics, but I think you get the general idea.

As a second, I really like when they make use of music from past games in some way, mixing it with original tracks as well. Double points if you have the same composer doing both the remix and the new music, so that they mesh well.

Vocal themes are a staple I'd like to see return, especially for individual characters/teams if they ever become a thing again.

Also vouching for an integrated cutscene/stage select similar to Adventure 2's, but with every stage/boss as a choice, rather than only some. This allows you to replay the story but ignore the parts you don't want to replay.

• Thumbs Up 2

A Super Sonic that feels worth using. One thing I like about 2 and 3&K is that you could get the Chaos Emeralds fairly early on if you were skilled at Special Stages, so you had the option of usng Super Sonic in later areas of the game. Nowadays, however, it seems to be that Super Sonic has basically become nothing more than bragging rights - by the time you've gotten him, you've done everything you can possibly do in the game, and if there is one more thing you could do (like getting S Ranks in Lost World), SS will inevitably be prohibited. So basically Super Sonic is lacking in oomph and use and getting him basically amounts to proving that you don't really need him.

Different playable characters with their own levels and story. Big shock, I'm sure. I'd want it to be a hybrid of how S3&K and SA1 handled this - all (or at least most) of the characters are available from the get-go, each character plays like Sonic but has differing moves and abilities, they go through levels via paths designed around their abilities and have a plot that intertwines with others. Also, you don't have to play as any of them to see the final-yet-labeled-extra-for-some-reason story or some shit like that, just so cries of JEANHRR ROOLEATT are dampened.

Challenging, but fun Eggman bosses. As much as I like how Lost World's bosses allowed you to hit them wherever whenever instead of having to wait for the invincible boss to leave its glowing weak spot open for five seconds and how they were (mostly) NOT Advance 2 bosses in 3D, I didn't like how they were piss easy (except Zavok who goes to the polar opposite of the spectrum). Making them like Lost World's bosses but ramping the difficulty up would be nice.

• Thumbs Up 1

A fast and easily navigable level select. I don't want to have to rotate a globe or run around a hub or whatever just to pick a level I've already been to. If you want that for the story, fine, but when I want to go back and play for fun I want a nice clean list to scroll through, with easily identifiable levels and a minimum of time-wasting animation.

But hub worlds are awesome! Why would anyone want to scroll through a boring list instead?

Classic styled physics. I'm sure we all know what the deal is with that at this point...

Ugh, not this again...

But hub worlds are awesome! Why would anyone want to scroll through a boring list instead?

Because they'd rather not have to spend a considerable amount of time navigating a more complex world just to get to the level they want to replay?

Rush Adventure is a great example of this. Grinding materials is SO MUCH QUICKER when you can access the levels straight away from a "boring old list" and not have to do any long tedious water sections before playing the level.

When I want to actually get to the game. Like I said, they can still have you go through a hub for the story, but if I just want to replay some levels, I should be able to get to the one I want quickly and easily, instead of having to wade through several layers of abstraction, watch self-indulgent transition animations, and sit through multiple loading screens.
  • Thumbs Up 2

1:  Have 3D be just that, 3D.  Not that The Unleashed Mechanic was bad (It's my favorite Sonic gameplay style if i'm honesty with you) but some of the games (Colours in particular) used the 3D parts just as an excuse to say it's still a 3D game.

2:  The Unleashed Mechanic.  Like I said above, it is my favorite Sonic gameplay style and would love to see it come back.  I think this because I believe it is the best way to create different playable characters.  Every character can homing attack just to keep the flow going with levels (trying to jump on enemies without it is really hard and breaks the pace).  Sonic can boost, ground stump and wall Jump, Tails can fly and Knuckles can glide and climb walls.

3:  Lyrical level songs.  Lets face it.  We all love City Escape just because of the song that was played in it.  But why is that the only one.  This is Sonic we are dealing with he.  He could get away with that any day so why is City Escape the only one.

So anyway that's my 2 cents on it  I might come up with a few more soon.

Oh I was so ready to list down the things I hope to get from my co-workers this holiday...loose-leaf paper, shiny new stapler...pencils...but I guess I'll give my two cents on this.

I'm with Dio on the level select list; when you don't prefer to go though the actual story mode to get the level there's the L.S. for quick access.

Multiple save files yes, yes YES. Kinda bummed we don't get that anymore (I believe main series-wise Heroes was the last to have this feature.)

Utilize the 3D aspect of the gameplay for just 3D. After SLW I'm hoping the gameplay would kinda shift out f that in the future, but if it does stay then okay.

• Thumbs Up 1

Because they'd rather not have to spend a considerable amount of time navigating a more complex world just to get to the level they want to replay?

Rush Adventure is a great example of this. Grinding materials is SO MUCH QUICKER when you can access the levels straight away from a "boring old list" and not have to do any long tedious water sections before playing the level.

That was justified in SRA's case,  but how often are the games going to be set on an archipelago?

When I want to actually get to the game. Like I said, they can still have you go through a hub for the story, but if I just want to replay some levels, I should be able to get to the one I want quickly and easily, instead of having to wade through several layers of abstraction, watch self-indulgent transition animations, and sit through multiple loading screens.

Would those of us who like hub worlds still have access to them after completing the game?

Would those of us who like hub worlds still have access to them after completing the game?

Yeah, sure. My point wasn't to take away options, but that there's been an option they've been neglecting that they really shouldn't.
  • Thumbs Up 7

- Cutscene select. Why the heck wasn't it in SLW?

- 100 Rings = 1 life. To combat brokenness in the form of excessive lives removing all challenge, put fewer Rings in levels and do not reward them for high score if score is a factor in the game.

- Sound test. No, I shouldn't have to buy an OST or play a stage to listen to the music.

- Wisps actually being used in a truly inventive way without feeling like they're tacked-on. Less automation too.

- Final bosses that are actually satisfying to take down and not insultingly easy/Excessively simple/Vague. The last three final bosses in "Main series" entries have been nothing short of awful.

• Thumbs Up 3

They could always keep the story mode be hub related and have a level select screen.

100 Rings = Extra Life, is my main beef with SEGA not following suit on the original staples they set, it's like they've forgotten some of Sonic's fundamental rules they've had in place since the beginning.

Sound Test/Cutscene Viewer because the lack of both in the last few games was honestly depressing to say the least.

Points in a level amounting to more than just a Rank, if I busted my butt defeating badniks, collecting rings and not getting hit, then I want rewarding for it, give me an Extra life like the classics!

Keep Ranks a series staple, otherwise it loses more of it's replayability!

I honestly, honestly want Uekawa to take lead as head character artist again, I'm sick of those shitty 3D renders, I miss the 2D poppy art work from Adventure's days, even if Sonic is no longer hip and lanky with noodle limbs, Uekawa's channel art is still far superior to the 3D renders based off his initial concept sketches.

Simple level select screen, kind of like how SA2 did it, and how SA DX introduced it.

Bring back monitors permanently, with elemental shields, speed shoes, invincibility and extra lives.

And bring back the S&K formula of tackling the same levels, as different characters with their own advantages and disadvantages.

I also want Sonic to keep his parkour ability, but I want SEGA to seriously upgrade it from the laughable obstacle it was in SLW U, but that's an entirely different beast altogether. 

• Thumbs Up 3

- Cutscene select. Why the heck wasn't it in SLW?

That's what Youtube is for.

Also I'm kind of surprised so many people want 100 rings for a life back. I guess mostly because I'm still waiting for game designers to realize lives are basically pointless and should be done away with entirely...

• Thumbs Up 2

That's what Youtube is for.

Shouldn't have to go on Youtube for something that ought to be in the game in the first place. And what about players who don't have internet access?

• Thumbs Up 3

You know how in games like Unleashed and Triple Trouble, getting hit only removed a set number of rings, rather than draining your entire supply? I think that should be brought back, since it gives players a good reason to collect as many rings as they can.

Cut-scene viewers can be valuable for wanting to do everything from one place.

For example, Secret Rings and Black Knight, when I replay them I usually like to skip all the filler missions and just play the proper levels -with my fully upgraded hedgehog to boot - but I watch the cut-scenes inbetween said levels to enjoy the adventure again when I do.

Yeah technically watching on youtube is no less a hassle than quitting out of the level select to go to the cut-scene viewer, but it's nicer to not have my experience split between two screens.

Also, like the level select idea, make sure it's accessible in menu form.  The only game I don't do this on is Unleashed because physically going to the Pickle Lab between levels to watch cut-scenes is as mood breaking for "replaying the adventure" as it gets.

You know how in games like Unleashed and Triple Trouble, getting hit only removed a set number of rings, rather than draining your entire supply? I think that should be brought back, since it gives players a good reason to collect as many rings as they can.

The problem with this is that damage isn't usually that big an issue in Sonic games in the first place, especially the 3D games. You're far more likely to die to a pit or some other instant death obstacle than to damage, especially when you can scoop up a few dropped rings after getting hit anyway. Having more rings equate to more HP would even further trivialize damage.

I think final bosses should be a test of the abilities and skills you've mastered in the game thus far, not a completely new gameplay genre that only exists for the final boss fight.

Colors and Lost World did this, and I was happy about it - though it'd have been nice if Lost World's boss had a more unique moveset from Colors'.

Super Sonic is best as a bonus feature that still plays like Sonic, except with higher speeds and a longer jump. Switching to a flying/shooting/whatever mode that you've had no practice with for the entirety of the game just for a final boss battle isn't a very good final test of the players' skills in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 5

The problem with this is that damage isn't usually that big an issue in Sonic games in the first place, especially the 3D games. You're far more likely to die to a pit or some other instant death obstacle than to damage, especially when you can scoop up a few dropped rings after getting hit anyway. Having more rings equate to more HP would even further trivialize damage.

In that case, why should I bother to have more than one ring at any time?

In that case, why should I bother to have more than one ring at any time?

Rings scatter farther and farther each time you get hit, making it progressively harder to recover rings. More rings means you have a greater chance of recovering at least one.

• Thumbs Up 1