Awoo.

UK: Theres a Storm coming! PART 3 "you'd better watch out, I'm tellin' you why, the great storm is comin' to town!"

Badnik Mechanic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTzh8uhnlqc

Odds are, if you live in the UK and are awake, you might have noticed... it's a tad windy.

And it's set to get a little worse.

weather-tree-2_2755991b.jpg

Winds of upto 90MPH are currently hitting the UK causing all manner of chaos and extremes, so far one person has died, the entire Scottish Rail network has shut down and theres even been a building collapse in Hull.

BauWM40CUAAvTze.jpg

A few moments ago the Yorkshire police just issued an emergency alert for Lincolnshire as flodding is expected at around 5pm. As well as the entire east coast being told to brace for a major tidal surge.

To give you an idea as to how strong the winds are... this woman tries to cross the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--tTc8s7XD4

So yeah, bit nippy out isn't it?

Well, the other one back in like September or October was 100mph... then again, that was like 6 in the morning. This one... probably isn't gonna end well.

Oh, I'm in the south east, not sure what it's like, one sec.

*opens curtains*

n36a.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CL77xgPyKM

Actually it's a little windy by the coast here but nothing unusual.  Awful that people have died - is this gonna spread?

It is very windy here in B'ham. In fact the wind is so strong my letterbox keeps knocking and agitating my Yorkies. Very wet too.

Certainly not as bad as Leeds though.

The general rule is that if you're to the left of the storm's path you don't have to worry as much. This is because storms generally rotate counterclockwise in the Northern hemisphere, so whoever is on the right side (where the winds are blowing inland) gets hit full force. At least, this is the case for storm surges.

Of course, I said "as much." A storm's a storm, after all, and cautions should still be taken. If this cyclone is like all the others I've studied, a plus is that those to the north of it will see warmer weather, as warm fronts generally move from south to north while the cold front moves west to east.

All my attempts to use my poor Meteorology skills aside, everyone stay safe! Remember that floodwaters are nature's number one killer in a storm. Too many people have been lost thinking the water was shallower or flowed slower than it actually was.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've seen quite a few things get blown over or blown open, and I've been attacked by a swarm of leaves carried by the wind while walking outside

Heavy snow now falling in Scotland, and the bird table in my backgarden has fallen over.

_71551800_snoow.jpg

Oh hey look!

_71549238_jimhume.jpg

(Anyone else think that pic would make a good Sonic warp zone stage?)

• Thumbs Up 3

Up in the West of Scotland here. Earlier the neighbors tree blew over and it came right down on our fence. Thing just collapsed, tearing down the rest that wasn't hit with it. 

We had to run out and grab all the broken parts, due to the fact that having sharp pieces of wood shooting around isn't exactly safe.

So, yeah, it's pretty bloody windy.

All of the garage cans nearby are knocked over (we tied all of ours stuck) and electricity is very much on and off. The picture currently at the top on this site titled "Politiet i Sunnhordland: - Hold dere inne" is from the city where I live. The times I go out there, I go further downwards from the tower, which now is swallowed by water.

I am glad that I am back inside now. I just returned from a funeral, and wow is the wind cold outside. Several roads, all bridges, ferries, the local airport and mountain routes are closed, and the local police advises to stay inside for the rest of the day.

Just got back from town and it's pretty windy here, too. When I first went out 2 of the heavy lids on the big recycling bins outside our block of flats had been been blown open and a nearby grit box's lid kept blowing open and closing, too. I closed the bin lids and when I got back 4 of the 5 of them were open. It was a struggle to get around town with the wind pushing against me, even when I had 4 heavy shopping bags by the end of it. I had 3 when I came out of Home Bargains and the wind blew in my direction and pushed me all of the way down to Poundland at the other end of the high street. It's crazy. I'm just glad I've got today and tomorrow off.

Hope everyone stays safe. 

It was incredibly windy here overnight and in the dawn hours, and a branch from a neighbour's tree came down on our garden - but otherwise, no problems, and it seems to have passed over now.  From what I can see out of the window, it appears to be quite still and clear at the moment.

Reporting from the Suffolk area to say the winds are stronger than usual here. But I don't think they are anything serious.

From where I am (Sudbury/Wembley) it's fairly windy, but not really devastating.

Durham winds are horrendous right now, the wind is so strong it feels like a plethora of bullets hitting you with the rain we've also got too, it stings when it hits bare skin, and holy hell is it loud, the bins outside are pretty much all over the roads, people have resorted to laying them down on their drives and grass to stop them from blowing wild into the cars around here.

Needless to say the wind is so strong that it actually woke me up this morning in a panic lol.

It's probably best to stay in doors if you can today guys, stay safe because not even driving to work is the safest option right now!

It's been pretty chaotic here in Glasgow, though the wind seems to have taken a break. Ended up missing college today since the rail network shut down and Glasgow central & Airport stations have had their roofs knackered by debris. That snow showed up for 10 mins and then buggered off so things haven't been terrible in terms of weather, this morning saw he worst of it.

Keep safe lads, unless you happen to be a knight of the wind.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just like everything else in the Midlands, the weather seems mostly average. It's really windy though, but nothing I've never seen before. The bin being knocked over outside actually reminded me to bring it in, thanks wind!

For everyone else, be careful.

Belgium here. Heavy storm is causing flooding in my town. Helping with the evacuations. See you tomorrow if we're back up after.

Pretty windy up here, the force of the wind and hail was bloody maddening. A tree fell down outside our school too - and we all watched as it happened. D: Stay safe!

OK now there's some heavy rain and some wind here, but still pretty mundane.

Belgium here. Heavy storm is causing flooding in my town. Helping with the evacuations. See you tomorrow if we're back up after.

Stay safe Jin, we're all hoping for your safe return!

• Thumbs Up 2

Haha I feel bad about making a joke post earlier because it seems it's arrived in Kent now.  Strong unevenly paced winds and the rain is making a racket like I've never heard on the windows.  It's like a snowblower is spraying ball bearings at the glass.

• Thumbs Up 1

Its pretty bad that Glasgow Central has closed. Now my brother is stuck out at work, no bus service to replace. To say I'm not happy about it is an understatement.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nothing horrendous but the wind speeds for my area, just off Durham and Newcastle. Was heading out for lunch from School and incredibly hard hailstones started coming down fast, needless to say it was kinda painful with the wind speed.

Very sad that people have died, and bad to hear that buildings are being affected. Hope everything is safer from here on.