Awoo.

YouTube changing how you upload videogame footage.

Badnik Mechanic

This music seems most fitting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPW1CpVQtZ8

It's happening...

Well... or... it's either the biggest false content ID claim ever, or, it's actually happening. Hundreds of videos have been pulled from some of the most popular gaming youtube channels, even people affiliated with various MCN's. Some YouTubers have had 60 emais in the space of an hour, others have had over 100 over the course of the day.

Excuse me for a second, I need to scream 'WHY' at this wall.

All the stuff building up to this...never actually made me think they would do it. But they did, they actually started it. Hopefully there will be a massive backlash from this. That the only way out I see...

It's like YouTube actually WANTS people to hate them. They can't actually believe this would have set well with the public aren't prior backlash...

• Thumbs Up 2

Well this sucks. Trailers, music goodbye gilvasunner

Woah woah woah, what? The music too, I knew that they had alot copyrighted before but maybe over half of my favorites are music and if they got rid of those it would probably be the saddest thing ever :(

The uploading of copyrighted music has always been against their terms of service, so I don't know why that's a surprise to anyone.  The fact that it's from a video game is completely irrelevant.

The uploading of copyrighted music has always been against their terms of service, so I don't know why that's a surprise to anyone.  The fact that it's from a video game is completely irrelevant.

Will this affect Remixes/Remasters? because I would hate to scramble all over youtube searching for my favorite remixes to download via youtube to MP3 

Will this affect Remixes/Remasters? because I would hate to scramble all over youtube searching for my favorite remixes to download via youtube to MP3 

I suppose it would depend on how derivative the remix among other factors.  I don't entirely understand the policy myself.

I'm going to seriously laugh if they remove my DiRT 3 video, considering it was directly uploaded to Youtube from within the game's services haha, this shit is so crazy.

Wow.  Guess I better delete everything that isn't Left 4 Dead from my channel soon since Valve are the only company I play games from that aren't shitty enough to do this sort of thing.

Wow.  Guess I better delete everything that isn't Left 4 Dead from my channel soon since Valve are the only company I play games from that aren't shitty enough to do this sort of thing.

Don't delete your stuff. If they want to take our videos they'll have to do it themselves, don't help them and save them any manpower/CPU Time :P

Besides, I don't think anyone's videos are actually getting removed over this, simply being made ineligible for monetization.

Ah alright fair enough.  I was concerned because I have a strike on my account from years and years and years back in my youtube pooping days and I'd really not want to have my entire account shut down and lose all the stuff that is of emotional importance to me - gaming and otherwise.  So I was gonna be extra paranoid.

Now Sakurai can make story mode for super smash bros 4 and make some awesome CG cut scenes if this comes true right?

but seriously, I was planning on buying a HD Pvr in early 2014 to upload gameplay and stuff, but it should be okay if it's not being monetized right?  

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I know (the almost half of my favorites of music is basically just deleted videos for copyright) but I still think its dumb for a lot of reasons.

So this copyright deal is kinda shady: 

Read some of these comments: 

"A lot of these content ID claims are bullshit. I saw someone who had his video claimed by THQ. Yeah, THQ that gaming company that went bankrupt over A YEAR ago. I've seen other videos claimed by companies that HAVE NOTHING to do with the content in the videos. I saw a fallout 3 video claimed by Sony? Sony what the fuck did Google do? I cannot wait until another video sharing site comes along."

This is my take: Youtube is doomed; although as crazy as this sounds, this might not be google's doing. Most of us know about Sonic Adventure 2 and live and learn, do a youtube search and guess what guy comes up. A guy selling a cover of it on google play in spanish for $4 for one track. My suspicion tells me there's a hacker afoot, also I heard something about the US changing it's copyright law, so youtube had to change their terms of service. This is absolutely nuts right now. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm still hoping this isn't going to be the end of the games on youtube stuff right now at least, but it is looking less likely. I just saw earlier that one lets player said she can no longer do full let's plays due to this, so she won't be doing them anymore. If this starts spreading, yeah, I can see people all starting to migrate rather quickly to other locations.

Okay, Nintendo was stupid enough when they removed any reason to do Let's Plays of Nintendo games. "Well, you may keep your videos up, but we will get all ad revenue from them now! By the way, keep uploading Nintendo LPs despite the fact you get no money from them anymore, muhaha!"

Youtube doing this is even more stupid, as they're gutting a large chunk of their revenue. Why, because it's so hard to actually evaluate copyright notices?

Speaking of which, on the user side of things... any company requesting a takedown notice of game footage is likewise stupid. This isn't like uploaded music, which very well does take revenue away from a company, because you can't play a game that's been recorded.

Well, this is why competition is good, folks. I get the feeling that between their faux-Facebook requirements and this, Google just neutered Youtube. All those other places are liable to pick up now that Youtube's become more and more unpalatable.

Let's Players rake in a TON of money from their hobby-turned-job in many cases. This isn't going to be the end of the Let's Play. They'll just move somewhere else. That's how ThatGuyWithTheGlasses got founded (because Youtube kept being asshats and pulling down their videos), and I wouldn't be surprised if a few prominent Let's Players likewise got together and started an alternative.

Game over man. Game over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np9tBI7_nq8

So is their anything you can post on Youtube? What if I post a video of me drinking a can of Coke Cola or eating a McDonalds will they get Youtube to take my video down because I didn't ask their permission to film me consuming their products?

Their is a lot questions but not many answers from Youtube or Google.

They're doing the usual business method of increasingly thinking they know what's best, but demonstrating they're just as clueless as you and me and any small business owner. The only difference is their decisions do a lot more damage than if a small company did this.

Video game companies pioneer gimmicks for no reason, Youtube thinks sucking up to copyright is the key to success, etc. Though they're effectively killing a lot of their revenue base by doing this... but in a company as large as Google, it'll be relatively small. So it will go unnoticed.

Small companies really are the best in terms of efficiency.

So how many people's livehoods are getting fucking destroyed, therefore putting the state of their lives (shelter, food, etc) in danger by this?

This is simply put insane. Now all that is left to upload hoping to not get copyright is webcam videos without any footage or unoriginal music.

All of this after 5+ years that the review format has become a common thing: i honestly don't understand why if they wanted to do this it took them so long.

This is simply put insane. Now all that is left to upload hoping to not get copyright is webcam videos without any footage or unoriginal music.

Which to be fair was the original intent of YouTube in the first place, hence the (arguably now artifact title) "Broadcast Yourself." Then when people started getting the idea to upload copyrighted content, Viacom threw a hissy fit and engaged in legal action against the site (to be more specific, filed legal action against Google after it acquired YouTube).

Personally, I'd be hopeful Youtube would backpedal on this like Microsoft swiftly backpedaled on half the Xbox One features when it became apparent that maybe it wouldn't make for good marketing. I can only hope Youtube is considered valuable enough in Google's portfolio that they will likewise see the detriment to their profits and backpedal.

I honestly do not get draconian copyright laws. I can see in the case of pirated music where that most certainly takes money away from content providers, but when it comes to video game footage, that's just stupid, as even if you downloaded the footage it wouldn't be the same as actually owning the game. PC games are different as those are more readily pirated, but Steam has demonstrated there are far better ways to tackle piracy: you make legal ownership carry far, far more perks than illegal. Bam, piracy evaporates.

But that would be too innovative for most big companies, who are so obsessed with the raw profits they don't think about externalities that result from them. Nintendo, as I said, was a perfect example, taking over the ad revenues of all Nintendo-related videos. Who is going to want to make Nintendo videos now as they can't get revenue from them?

Companies do not need to redesign a mascot for the new generation to be profitable. They do not need to change the controls of a console to be profitable. They do not need to drive every technical copyright infringement into the ground to remain profitable. But they seem to want to do all of these things.

As for Youtube. Well, they're just lazy. Have they ever thought that maybe, just maybe, their copyright system is shit? Maybe they should make it so only legitimate claimants can file takedown notices rather than anyone? It's no secret that trolls sometimes make use of mass flag attacks, after all.

But again, that would require the guys behind these megacorps have brains. I've come to conclude that intelligence of a company's owners is inversely proportional to the size of a company.

• Thumbs Up 3