Awoo.

YouTube changing how you upload videogame footage.

Badnik Mechanic

Just some, Psi? Word now is that masses of videos are being flagged, all of them affiliates and non-MCN, and often by third parties that look unrelated to any copyrights involved.

Edit: Not that they're being removed, just that the channel owner can't make money off the flagged vids.

Yes, I've checked and not all my videos are flagged with Third-Party Content. None of my Sonic videos are affected, 2 of my Skyward Sword videos aren't flagged with (not by, as this Content ID is automatic) Nintendo. But, again, some of my Pokemon videos are flagged under "AdRev". That's not even Pokemon Company! They have no right to flag that!

I really do think these companies are just being picky about little things the more we read into this. I know not all of them are going to be into this, as I did see that article earlier where a few of the game companies don't like this and are fighting to help the Let's Players and such. Good for them. I know not everyone sees it this way, but yes, Let's Plays are making money off your material, but they are such great advertisement for these games, especially the older ones. Its not like music where you listen to it and you have not listened to it and don't need to buy it. Let's Plays can get you so into the game that you go buy it to play it yourself instead of just watching it. Yes, you may  scare some people away, but as someone mentioned, buying blindly and then returning and reselling doesn't seem like a better idea than people that will buy and keep

So many of these companies make games that people want to sell back right away it seems instead of keep forever. They then complain about used markets and such. Just make a good game and people may not do that usually. It's a similar thing.

Youtube has just become so automated for one. Any claim, Email, or anything with youtube just gets bot responses or auto emails instead of actual people answering anything. How do you expect to run an effective website when you have automated so much of it? Bots and computers don't have the logic yet that a real human would have in knowing what is legit claims. Also, thee bots are never able to help anyone with technical issues either on the site, since all help emails and such are all bot responded as well. It just frustrates me, since I'm sort of stuck with youtube due to my download limit and internet at the moment. I can't watch streams effectively, and many other sites, like Dailymotion just dont work on a slower internet connection.

This just all sucks is all.

Regardless, this is horrible. What is the point in doing this? It's going to cause more harm than good.

It sounds like to get in the good graces of copyright holders while also to relieve themselves of the burden of addressing takedown notices.

God forbid they reform the takedown system so only a proven representative of the community can flag a video for one. Seriously, how hard would it be to create a system of user accounts where you are officially validated as part of a company and thus have exclusive rights to file takedown notices on your company's material?

Considering you can validate your channel to be an official representative of a brand... it's really stupid they DON'T have a system in place like that.

So will Youtube implode with rage soon?

Probably. Wouldn't be surprised if all the major LPers soon upload videos advertising where they've headed to, just as Doug Walker did when Youtube kept being obnoxious towards his material.

I think Youtube with this policy is to other video sites as the Xbox One reveal was to Sony. The longer they (Youtube) keep talking, the more the opposition's stock price goes up. It's just a "Dude, shut up, you're only making it worse!" kind of moment.

• Thumbs Up 1

So what's going to happen to chugga,SGBs, hellfire, brainscratch, somecallmejohnny, cobi and bunch of let's players and reviewers?

So what's going to happen to chugga,SGBs, hellfire, brainscratch, somecallmejohnny, cobi and bunch of let's players and reviewers?

Presumably they'd move to another video site. Hopefully all to the same one, so as to make that site a serious competitor to Youtube. If they fragment across different sites it wouldn't be good, as that helps Youtube with a "divide and conquer" approach.

Though either way, Youtube loses due to the migration. This is roughly comparable to Spain under Ferdinand and Isabella deporting its Jewish population in terms of how stupid it is for the financial prospects.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't think Youtube honestly gives two shits if people like Chugga and the Runawayguys etc were to leave. They have millions of users and gaining more all the time. That being said I hate what they are doing, hopefully another site rises and becomes more gamer friendly.. hell fuck that, user friendly.

Now watch Google buy up all of their competitors and create "Eye-Google: We Have Our Eye On You" to fully control everything we do on video sites.

• Thumbs Up 1

Now watch Google buy up all of their competitors and create "Eye-Google: We Have Our Eye On You" to fully control everything we do on video sites.

With the way Google has been operating, I think things are going to go far beyond video sites eventually. Pretty much SOPA is happening in bits and pieces, course that could be an over exaggeration.

I don't think Youtube honestly gives two shits if people like Chugga and the Runawayguys etc were to leave. They have millions of users and gaining more all the time. That being said I hate what they are doing, hopefully another site rises and becomes more gamer friendly.. hell fuck that, user friendly.

Ah, but if those guys leave, so theoretically could their audiences. Let's Players have a distinct culture, and with all the hundreds of thousands if not millions of subscribers between them... it's going to hit the bottom line at least somewhat.

With the way Google has been operating, I think things are going to go far beyond video sites eventually. Pretty much SOPA is happening in bits and pieces, course that could be an over exaggeration.

When the government doesn't play ball, you can usually rely on corporations to go about it. It's as old as the Roman Empire; whenever Augustus couldn't secure funding from the Roman government for a project, he'd give them the finger and fund it out of his own personal wealth. Similarly, the government may not pass SOPA, but all these businesses will find ways to enact parts of it via the private sector.

I don't think the shitheads at youtube would ever  try to improve. Look at all the backlash they got over the years for doing dumb shit. They haven't done anything to tell them: "We're sorry" or "Let's improve youtube" unless they consider the shit they do as improvements.

I don't think the shitheads at youtube would ever  try to improve. Look at all the backlash they got over the years for doing dumb shit. They haven't done anything to tell them: "We're sorry" or "Let's improve youtube" unless they consider the shit they do as improvements.

It does seem to sadly be a trait most major companies have in the tech industry. They are completely out of touch with what the public wants (or maybe they just don't care) and pass all these policies, layouts, etc. that no one really wants. It's no different than how gaming companies feel the need to make gimmicky controllers rather than good ole' buttons and joysticks, or how companies in general feel the need to constantly redesign their mascots despite the fact younger generations probably won't even care either way.

Every update they have done so far has been them trying to gain more control over their users and their content.  I no longer get feeds of just things I want to see, I am being fed feeds of "what's hot", even on my own channel page, I get recommendations to see channels like Pewdiepie, etc. Being forced to switch over to Google Plus despite how terrible it is. 

What is ironic for me is that I once viewed Google as the White Knight of the internet, but yea they're just another company out for blood.

• Thumbs Up 2

What is ironic for me is that I once viewed Google as the White Knight of the internet, but yea they're just another company out for blood.

It's a golden rule that every company eventually sells out and forgets the principles that made it great in the first place. I've heard how Google's an awesome company to work for with a casual work climate and great benefits, but I wouldn't be surprised if that changes here soon as well.

Every empire inevitably collapses under its own weight, something emerges from the ashes, and the cycle repeats. Doesn't matter if you're a government or a corporation, you're an institution that becomes progressively less efficient as it grows until eventually something comes along and makes you fall apart. I think Google's policies are going to inevitably cause it to lose its grip in certain sectors.

Most folks seem to be moving to Blip for Let's Play stuff. So it looks like that will be the professional YouTube, while YouTube goes back to being just about silly cat videos, and the occasional animated short.

Most folks seem to be moving to Blip for Let's Play stuff. So it looks like that will be the professional YouTube, while YouTube goes back to being just about silly cat videos, and the occasional animated short.

More or less, yes. Youtube's too big to collapse outright; I don't think it has to worry about ever being Facebook'd. But it did just severe one of its extremities, which is now being grafted onto other places. I'm sure Blip doesn't mind Youtube progressively driving members away, however.

The Google+ thing was pretty annoying, but this probably has sealed the deal for a lot of people, now that their favorite content providers will be driven offsite.

So is their anything you can post on Youtube? What if I post a video of me drinking a can of Coke Cola or eating a McDonalds will they get Youtube to take my video down because I didn't ask their permission to film me consuming their products?

Their is a lot questions but not many answers from Youtube or Google.

You can still post....content that you actually own....

Far too much stuff on youtube, both in the gaming community and the youtube community in general is illegally uploaded. People who don't own any footage, images or music that goes into their videos just uploading whatever the hell they want and, if it's monatised...making a profit.

How long did people expect this to continue to go over the heads of the content owners?

Youtube is constantly under pressure to crack down on people uploading movies or tv shows, songs or music videos that go up on their site, because the content owners realise that their stuff has been stolen.

I honestly can't see the problem here, I just can't. As long as these rules don't affect anyone using third party content legally (for review purposes) then there's no problem (this of course, doesn't account for other potential copyright breaches. Cadicarus for example uses game footage legally under fair use for review...but keeps putting the Tombi soundtrack under his videos which, of course he doesn't own..,.). the people uploading someone else's content are breaking the law, that's why they're being targeted.

And of course....need I point out that this is hardly "the death of youtube" as so many people seem to be keen to point out. To make the claim that people only go to youtube for game videos and lets plays is a huge insult to the many hundreds of communities of people making great, creative videos outside of the game comunity...and legally too.

• Thumbs Up 5

And of course....need I point out that this is hardly "the death of youtube" as so many people seem to be keen to point out. To make the claim that people only go to youtube for game videos and lets plays is a huge insult to the many hundreds of communities of people making great, creative videos outside of the game comunity...and legally too.

Not the death of Youtube, but it's quite a shot in the foot given they'll just move to a site that's less strict.

I'm amazed Youtube finally caved under the pressure. Normally they had a Don't Ask; Don't Tell policy with copyright infringement given that they still profit from illegal content themselves. Google really is a greedy corporation from what I can see, so it's hilarious they're trying to play the good guy card.

Honestly; it may be for the best that this happens. If this stuff moves away from Youtube, that opens up opportunities for other types of content to get attention. Sure, you'll still have your really big youtube personalities who are partnered (such as Pewdiepie, and the Grumps) but with a lot of folks moving to Blip. It can give opportunities for more attention to be taken by more original content. 

Still, I have to agree with the many recent arguments of how CopyRight Law needs to be redone to fit the modern era, but hey, that's looking more and more inevitable as the days pass, so I'll just leave that topic to everyone else.

• Thumbs Up 3

Nintendo gives him clips he can use in his video but yet YouTube still did that copyright claim but he said he got it settled

• Thumbs Up 3

Didn't Nintendo standardise that approach anyway, though? Last I checked Nintendo's stance on using their footage was it's fine, they'd just get "lol all your profits."

A stupid move on their part, and I love how they tried to mask it as some benevolent measure rather than a blatant moneygrab. "Yes, keep making Nintendo videos, just now, we'll get all your profits, teeheehee!"