Awoo.

YouTube changing how you upload videogame footage.

Badnik Mechanic

Didn't Nintendo standardise that approach anyway, though? Last I checked Nintendo's stance on using their footage was it's fine, they'd just get "lol all your profits."A stupid move on their part, and I love how they tried to mask it as some benevolent measure rather than a blatant moneygrab. "Yes, keep making Nintendo videos, just now, we'll get all your profits, teeheehee!"

Yeah that was back in may and then they killed that rule during the summer.

Angry Joe has his angry say in this.

As much as i'll love to see Joe crumble, this is not the right way and more importantly, is still a disgusting move for Youtube, Google or whoever is responsable: it's like all the efforts to stop SOPA, CISPA and the other bills were made for nothing.

Classic Game Room is gone from Youtube, zip nadda no more: 

Of course I think Mark saw this coming, he already had some of the reviews up on dailymotion, before all these crazy changes.

Dailymotion is the future...for now. i saw a great site called wenoo, that is the original youtube all the way, it's not perfect, but with the way youtube is going there will be an alternative. Let's just not talk about zippcast though, they're back in beta.

Alright, I dont know how much longer until YouTube completely butchers itself up to where it is abandoned by users.

I don't do playthroughs, but if they do something that'll make YouTube nothing but greedy and people who wants to destroy people's community lives, then I will have to move somewhere else.

Alright, I dont know how much longer until YouTube completely butchers itself up to where it is abandoned by users.

I don't do playthroughs, but if they do something that'll make YouTube nothing but greedy and people who wants to destroy people's community lives, then I will have to move somewhere else.

YouTube still has funny cat videos. And as long as those remains, it's going nowhere.

Classic Game Room is gone from Youtube, zip nadda no more: 

Of course I think Mark saw this coming, he already had some of the reviews up on dailymotion, before all these crazy changes.

Dailymotion is the future...for now. i saw a great site called wenoo, that is the original youtube all the way, it's not perfect, but with the way youtube is going there will be an alternative. Let's just not talk about zippcast though, they're back in beta.

I saw this from ReviewTechUSA... this is really sad. CGR is one of my favourite channels.

Well, now Joe uploaded another video. This time more calm and longer with more details of the situation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAi81_uvztM

I saw this from ReviewTechUSA... this is really sad. CGR is one of my favourite channels.

They aren't dead though, all of their videos are on Dailymotion, which has majorly improved. I can have another tab open without the video lagging and watch in HD Quality much better than youtube. Wenoo is small, but it's pretty much old youtube, actually it IS old youtube, like when it first started.

Dailymotion also just obtained a pioneer company that involves with HTML5 so for people like me who watches videos on a console (Wii U) or someone with a tablet, Dailymotion could be the next big site.

They aren't dead though, all of their videos are on Dailymotion, which has majorly improved. I can have another tab open without the video lagging and watch in HD Quality much better than youtube. Wenoo is small, but it's pretty much old youtube, actually it IS old youtube, like when it first started.

I know they're not going, yeah. I saw Mark's video. But without their presence on YouTube it's definitely a loss. Shame we now have to go to DM to watch it, but eh.

Dailymotion for some reason doesn't load for me though. Whenever I try and watch a video on there on this connection, it only loads about 10 seconds before freezing and then about 30 seconds later playing another 10 seconds before repeating. It sounds like an ok alternative to Youtube, but if I can't get it to work, I'll be stuck if some of my favorites ever do move over to that site.

This feels like (if this makes for a good comparison), like the whole tension thing between Britain and the American Colonies before the American Revolution. Youtubers are the Americans, while Youtube are the British. Sure a portion of Youtubers do have illegal and questionable shit going on, and we aren't all angels with good intentions, but the general public of   Youtubers/American Colonies   are getting caught in the crossfire of poor/badly timed decisions made by  Youtube/Britain  that try to cut down on smuggling/piracy/copyright/whatever to pay lip service to the publishers who   want the illegal stuff cracked down/Swindlers who want a slice of the pie without doing the work/British Parliament & Royalty that ultimately causes more harm and distrust. And now shit is going down and things are looking on the verge of either a war for independence/leave Youtube to go to a better site.

Well, now Joe uploaded another video. This time more calm and longer with more details of the situation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAi81_uvztM

The example of of where he used a professional music library that he purchased legitimately even got flagged. That is absurd the whole point of the library is to use as background music for your videos. He already purchased it to use.

Though to be fair to company that owns the library they are well aware of the situation and you can inform them and give evidence of your purchase. They also explained why the videos are being flagged ironically because another company claim copyright of their work. Now I feel sorry for both the Video Copilot and Angry Joe.

But imagine you had 500 plus videos with several flags what a headache that must be clear all the copyright. The E-mails, the phone calls, even tracking down the owners of the material because some are really obscure.

Source: http://venturebeat.com/2013/12/11/youtube-ignores-content-creator-concerns-in-statement-regarding-mass-copyright-flagging/

"YouTube has spoken … and it doesn’t seem to really understand the concerns of its community.

Yesterday, GameBeat reported that YouTube’s Content ID, an automated copyright-violation-fighting bot, was flagging hundreds (if not thousands) of game-related videos. Popular YouTube users like TheRadBrad, who has 2 million subscribers thanks to his gameplay walkthrough videos, found that the video-sharing site had sent him dozens of emails alerting him of copyright violations. This means that TheRadBrad and other uploaders in the same situation can no longer earn ad revenue for the offending videos — even though they are still available to watch on YouTube.

The weird thing is that many of the titles that are setting off the Content ID are often from publishers that have given the OK for gamers to monetize videos on YouTube and Twitch. Even stranger, the companies listed in the Content ID complaints often don’t own the game in question.

We reached out to YouTube yesterday, and today it got back with what its spokesperson said is the only comment the company is going to provide on the issue:

'We recently enabled Content ID scanning on channels identified as affiliates of [multichannel networks]. This has resulted in new copyright claims for some users, based on policies set by the relevant content owners. As ever, channel owners can easily dispute Content ID claims if they believe those claims are invalid.'

YouTube’s statement confirms that this is a part of YouTube’s recently announced efforts to crack down on affiliate channels. Previously, affiliate channels in multichannel networks (companies like IGN and Machinima, which work with dozens of creators) could skip the copyright approval process and begin monetizing videos immediately. YouTube wants to start randomly checking those videos the same way it checks every upload from a common user.

While it’s nice of YouTube to let its users in on what is happening, the statement fails to address what its community is actually worried about, which is the fact that Content ID is flagging games that uploaders have full permission to make videos of

Many of the publishers that own the copyrights to games that Content ID is flagging have come out to confirm that they give full legal approval to anyone posting videos of their games online. That’s not stopping titles like Deep Silver’s Metro: Last Light from getting flagged for content owned by an unknown gaming website called “4GamerMovie.” This has left content creators scratching their heads and looking for answers, and YouTube isn’t acknowledging the problem.

Of course, as YouTube’s spokesperson notes, uploaders can dispute claims they feel are invalid, but the fact that YouTube doesn’t even recognize that random companies are making claims is causing many to hesitate on using the dispute option.

When a YouTube user is flagged for a copyright violation, YouTube simply prevents the uploader from collecting the ad revenue. That’s it. If users decide to dispute the claim, however, they risk getting a copyright strike against their account if they lose the appeal. If one account gets enough strikes, YouTube will completely shut it down.

Many savvy YouTube uploaders rarely appeal a copyright claim because it’s a potential risk, especially when they’ve built a small business around producing and uploading YouTube videos.

This latest Content ID purge is leaving some YouTube users with little choice. They can dispute the claims (and risk destroying their channel with copyright strikes), or they can let the claims go (which could destroy revenue potential). Either way, YouTube’s massive gaming community is starting to look pretty endangered."

Edited by SnipSnow

Everyone,

This is evidence that YouTube and Google is trying to **** with us.

Youtube isn't "fucking" with us. It isn't "fucking" with anyone. All its trying to do is avoid MASSIVE cases of litigation. The gaming community is getting fucked over as a consequence, but there is no malicious intent.

• Thumbs Up 6

Youtube isn't "fucking" with us. It isn't "fucking" with anyone. All its trying to do is avoid MASSIVE cases of litigation. The gaming community is getting fucked over as a consequence, but there is no malicious intent.

Like I said, it is like the American Revolution. Youtube is Britain trying to crack down on smuggling (which WAS a big thing in America; John Hancock, one of the Declaration of Independence's writers, was a big time smuggler), but due to a combination of bad timing, poor communication, poor decisions and the ignorance and stupidity (and twisting of words) of a select few people, America/Youtubers get caught in the crossfire, and shit goes out of control.

• Thumbs Up 1

If they aren't even going to comment on the situation any further than that, then it is obvious they could care less about their customers if they aren't even going to answer the questions the people have at the moment. That comes off as honestly rather dickish and that you honestly could care less about your customers and just bought you a lot of bad PR in the mean time. Obviously, someone doesn't understand how to run a customer happy business.

And here's TotalBiscuit's thoughts, which sort of sums up my feelings about the whole thing.

If they aren't even going to comment on the situation any further than that, then it is obvious they could care less about their customers if they aren't even going to answer the questions the people have at the moment. That comes off as honestly rather dickish and that you honestly could care less about your customers and just bought you a lot of bad PR in the mean time. Obviously, someone doesn't understand how to run a customer happy business.

Slight issue with use of the term "customers".

Nobody who is actually getting screwed over is a "customer". They are using YouTube, as a platform to earn money.

Yeah, it sucks that some people may well end up losing large chunks of their entire household income, and the way Google have been handling this issue is not at all necessary, nor is it a good idea. Fact of the matter is, YouTube and Google, don't owe any of these people anything.

It would be a dick move to say they should have been prepared for this, but there is an element of truth in that thought. Copyright issues have been getting worse and worse. Nintendo restricting content providers' ability to use their games' footage for monetisation, should have been writing on the wall. They should have realised at that point, that their position was in huge danger. 

I'm not siding with YouTube here or anything and it truly saddens me to think that people who sink 100's of hours a week into providing top-quality content of their viewers are getting screwed over. I think its terrible. I really do.

But I mean its not like Google wants this, its not like they're doing this intentionally. No ads appearing on millions of game-related videos mean they're losing out on millions of dollars of ad-revenue themselves. This is the last thing Google (a company built from ads) would want. They're doing this to avoid huge lawsuits from massive media conglomerates and video game companies.

What needs to change, more than YouTube's policies, is the LAW. Copyright law is stupidly outdated and massive companies are abusing the shit out of it to ridiculous extents to fuck the small-fries and get a few extra dollars added onto their bottom line. YouTube's policies will change as soon as the risk of litigation is eliminated, but for that to happen, we need the Law to catch up with the times.

What's happening with YouTube is merely a symptom of a much bigger problem.

• Thumbs Up 4

Jonathan Paula (Creator of "Is It A Good Idea To Microwave This?") created a video explaining the whole issue of the Content ID Debacle and shares his personal thoughts, since I'm a fan of his work I'm spreading the video around via his request.

So here's Youtube's response: 

http://kotaku.com/heres-what-youtube-has-to-say-to-angry-youtubers-1485168478

BULLCRAP!!!!!!!!!!

It's too long to copy and paste...

Another Kotaku article: http://kotaku.com/the-most-ridiculous-victim-of-youtubes-crackdown-is-a-1484998183

That's it after I finish uploading my playthrough of sonic chrono adventure I'm moving all my videos to dailymotion.

YouTube isn't advancing... It is going BACKWARDS.

Now it just seems like YouTube doesn't understand ANYTHING and also, it almost looks like they will NEVER take off the Content I.D. claims.

Dailymotion is going to take over in the next months and YouTube would be adandoned.

"Use the Audio Library"? Do you know how SMALL it is?! And we need ****ing sound effects!!

GET THIS THROUGH YOUR HEAD. If there are Content I.D. claims, then we can't upload ANYTHING that is worth anyone's time!

It would be nice if YouTube at the very least would reformed it's automatic claim system so that less of these instances happen. Preferably by getting some actual customer support to properly monitor these claims instead of making it 100% automatic.

Then again the aforementioned Kotaku report says YouTube has no intentions to reform it's policies, so at this point they can kindly fuck off.