Awoo.

YouTube changing how you upload videogame footage.

Badnik Mechanic

The issue is not that they've put a system in place for preventing copyright, the issue is how it's almost completly automatic making it terrible at it's job, easily exploited as well as taking the side of the prosecution NEVER the defence.

When it comes to the issue of the system being automated, I don't really see what choice youtube has. There are several years of video uploaded to youtube every day. There's no way they could possibly hire enough people to review that much content.

As for taking the side of the prosecution, I've not seen any proof either way to confirm or deny that so I can't say, however, if there's someone who's losing out on their income over disputes that are being incorrectly found in favour of the original copyright holder (fair use basically) the youtuber could probably take either youtube or the rights holder to court.

When it comes to the issue of the system being automated, I don't really see what choice youtube has. There are several years of video uploaded to youtube every day. There's no way they could possibly hire enough people to review that much content.

As for taking the side of the prosecution, I've not seen any proof either way to confirm or deny that so I can't say, however, if there's someone who's losing out on their income over disputes that are being incorrectly found in favour of the original copyright holder (fair use basically) the youtuber could probably take either youtube or the rights holder to court.

The thing is, that income is usually so small that it wouldn't be worth the lawsuits really. Unless there was some kind of massive tons of youtubers lawsuit out there, I doubt anything would ever stick over some videos. But yes, there still are lots of those copyright things going on and often over fair use stuff yes. I know youtube can never have enough personnel to do all the stuff themselves, but they should still have personnel in place to hear people's complaints or to double check what the system is doing when people do have complaints. When everything is automated, the computer can decide you are fighting something that is real, aka the system will punish you more thinking you are a bad guy when you really aren't. A real person could actually talk to you and you can explain the situation back to them. Everything youtube being automated makes it such a user unfriendly place to be honest. Automation has been looked down upon for many years now and it is why so many companies now advertise you will talk to a real person instead of a computer. It has become very obvious now that people want to talk with people, not computers.

The thing is, that income is usually so small that it wouldn't be worth the lawsuits really. Unless there was some kind of massive tons of youtubers lawsuit out there, I doubt anything would ever stick over some videos. But yes, there still are lots of those copyright things going on and often over fair use stuff yes. I know youtube can never have enough personnel to do all the stuff themselves, but they should still have personnel in place to hear people's complaints or to double check what the system is doing when people do have complaints. When everything is automated, the computer can decide you are fighting something that is real, aka the system will punish you more thinking you are a bad guy when you really aren't. A real person could actually talk to you and you can explain the situation back to them. Everything youtube being automated makes it such a user unfriendly place to be honest. Automation has been looked down upon for many years now and it is why so many companies now advertise you will talk to a real person instead of a computer. It has become very obvious now that people want to talk with people, not computers.

The income is small for most people yes, but seeing as so much of the uproar surrounding this was aimed at people losing their livlihoods, there's clearly enough people making their actual living off of this. Those people where the ones I was referring to in terms of lawsuits.

Also I'm pretty sure Youtube does have some actual humans to deal with claims. Whether it's enough people or not is another thing, but yeah, there's definitly some actual people processing these claims too. Once again though, there's too much content going up every day to really monitor effectively with a human workforce.

It's not just games remember, there's people breaking copyright law by uploading tv shows, movies, music, images, art, text, even people re-uploading other youtubers videos. The problems youtube have to deal with are massive.

Too many people (not including you personally in this by the way, just rambling :P) are playing the "Youtube is evil and doesn't give a shit about its users" card and it's bollocks. Youtube is a high profile business and has a responsibility to make sure it's operating within the confines of the law. If youtube users are uploading illegal content, youtube have a responsibility to deal with it. Yes people using the content legally are going to get caught in the crossfire but I don't think youtube is deliberatly targeting them. They're targeting the much larger group of people who just upload content illegally.

The income is small for most people yes, but seeing as so much of the uproar surrounding this was aimed at people losing their livlihoods, there's clearly enough people making their actual living off of this. Those people where the ones I was referring to in terms of lawsuits.

Also I'm pretty sure Youtube does have some actual humans to deal with claims. Whether it's enough people or not is another thing, but yeah, there's definitly some actual people processing these claims too. Once again though, there's too much content going up every day to really monitor effectively with a human workforce.

It's not just games remember, there's people breaking copyright law by uploading tv shows, movies, music, images, art, text, even people re-uploading other youtubers videos. The problems youtube have to deal with are massive.

Too many people (not including you personally in this by the way, just rambling tongue.png) are playing the "Youtube is evil and doesn't give a shit about its users" card and it's bollocks. Youtube is a high profile business and has a responsibility to make sure it's operating within the confines of the law. If youtube users are uploading illegal content, youtube have a responsibility to deal with it. Yes people using the content legally are going to get caught in the crossfire but I don't think youtube is deliberatly targeting them. They're targeting the much larger group of people who just upload content illegally.

No doubt lots of people do stuff illegally on purpose. Most of those things you listed are legitimate things that often need to be looked into of course and dealt with. I'm sure we all watch some of that stuff that we know is going to be removed eventually, but that''s another thing entirely.

The main thing that is making most people made is that it has always been assumed that playing video games for people to watch or doing game reviewers were all fair use as long as you were doing lots of commentary over the game as well. That make sense and you would assume most people, as long as they are doing lots of commentary and not just a quiet walkthrough, that these would all be fair use and not subject to copyright material. Video games aren't like tv shows where showing the tv show is the medium. Video games are interactive and what one person does won't match up to another person unless they copy the game right down move for move.

It just doesn't seem like video games should be subject to those same restriction as the tv shows and music where the experience is completely different, but that is just me of course. It also comes down to how people interpret those copyright laws as well.