Awoo.

Vocal Themes

Chaos Incarnate

I know this isn't really a vocal theme, but I reckon Gamma's Theme is the best character theme in all of Sonic Adventure, seriously the piano in that song is so sad yet so relaxing.

Yeah, I don't count that as a lyric theme due to... well, no lyrics. But I also agree that it's fantastic, and it's my favourite from that game as well.

I'd love a Sonic game that uses a main theme for somewhere other than the intro, final boss and credits.

Now I adore Rooftop Run, but you can't say Endless Possibility wouldn't have been awesome playing over that stage as the "main" usage for the main theme.  Actually as awesome as it is for the first part of the credits, it always annoyed me that it isn't really used at all before you hear the remix in the final boss.  Someone who doesn't watch pre-release trailers or hang around on the title screen wouldn't even know the final boss is a remix of it!

• Thumbs Up 2

Not lying, in the lead up to Generations?

I was waiting for the release date specifically so I could quickly Youtube the vocal theme. And then there was none. I did the same thing with Lost World.

I consider Sonic's music to be one of the things that sets him apart from others, and indeed, even the most caustic of reviewers will usually still concede the music as a point for Sonic. As an extension of this, I consider vocal themes to be symbolic of the series at this point; I can't think of any other game series with that many vocal pieces composed for it. Even before the vocal themes became the norm from 1998 to 2010, you had Wonderman being composed just for Sonic 3's release and such. This tradition goes back to the very first games, and I don't really see reason to eliminate it, as it's one of the most unique aspects of the series in an era where everyone is going "lol Sonic's copying Mario."

(Personal favorites would probably be What I'm Made of and Live & Learn, though With Me was also gorgeous... really, I like any Crush 40 song that isn't a cover)

I'd love a Sonic game that uses a main theme for somewhere other than the intro, final boss and credits.

Now I adore Rooftop Run, but you can't say Endless Possibility wouldn't have been awesome playing over that stage as the "main" usage for the main theme.  Actually as awesome as it is for the first part of the credits, it always annoyed me that it isn't really used at all before you hear the remix in the final boss.  Someone who doesn't watch pre-release trailers or hang around on the title screen wouldn't even know the final boss is a remix of it!

Eh, if that happened with a "main" song, I'd probably get just as weary with it as I do with Live & Learn and His World.

Incidentally, I suppose my indifference/dislike for most of the lyric themes is because usually they'll be the only ones that people talk about. So I'm wanting to talk about, say, Aquatic Base or something, but everyone else will be too busy gushing over His World.

Most folks don't really get sick of City Escape do they?  Why would it be any different?

It's funny actually how they used The Cash Cash City Escape remix so much during Generations side videos and stuff that it was practically the closest thing the game had to a vocal theme lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love how varied this music is in Sonic games. Bar a few exceptions, the music in the Sonic series is excellent, and the vocal themes certainly are not exempt from that. I would be here all night if I was to mention every single Sonic vocal theme that I like so I'll just mention a few examples:

nYOwHBI.png?1

I have a real fondness for "Escape From the City" from Sonic Adventure 2. I can't help but to sing it every time I hear it as I enjoy it so much. In fact, my 8 and 7 year old nephews and I can sing the song in unison, as they enjoy the song too. It took a while for the 3 of us to pull the feat, but we can all sing the song together, assuming that no one bursts into laughter while doing so. happy.png

Yj9OKvZ.jpg?1

I have to admit that "Free" from Sonic Free Riders is a guilty pleasure of mine. The song is fitting among others in regards to Sonic's personality. I find the song to be very energetic and catchy. I love the trailer that the song was associated with-action, speed, gorgeous CGI and all. Too bad there isn't too much of the game to enjoy aside from that. sad.png

UlPPm5S.jpg?1

"Reach For the Stars" from Sonic Colors is another song I find to be energetic and catchy. I also love how optimistic the lyrics are and this song never fails to make me smile whenever I hear it. smile.png Then again, the entire soundtrack of Sonic Colors makes me smile as it is my favorite in the series so the fact this song delights me as well is no surprise.

kN628G8.jpg?1

My favorite vocal songs comes from Sonic Unleashed. I just love "Endless Possibilities" as I find the song to be very catchy and exhilarating. The song sounds fitting for Sonic to run to after going through a long worldwide adventure. "Dear my Friend"  just happens to be my favorite vocal song in the Sonic series, not necessarily of the way the song sounds but because of the meaning behind the song. I find it very soothing and sad, yet beautiful and touching. I thought the song was rich in meaning in regards to friendship, which was a theme present throughout the game with Sonic and Chip as well as friendship being something that I personally highly esteem.

• Thumbs Up 9

Most folks don't really get sick of City Escape do they?  Why would it be any different?

Well... I'm not most folk, am I? tongue.png

Honestly, I think vocal themes are normally really awful from Sonic. *raises flame shield*

But seriously. They're commonly all very cheesy sounding, uninspired and just lack any oomph and emotion that an orchestrated theme could bring. I've enjoyed Live and Learn, City Escape and Open Your Heart, but songs like Reach for the Stars are just damn awful. Take "His World" for example. Awful song, but wonderful when instrumental played when you battle Solaris Phase 2. I'm also a huge fan of Wonder World, and how the theme extends into Lost World itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJQIyYUVi54

Ever since I heard "Sonic Boom" on Sonic CD for the first time and then found out I could pop the game CD into a CD player and listen to it whenever, I've been such a geek for Sonic vocal themes.  As the years went on, Saturn had a few Sonic games including SONIC R which had some of the most cheezy-yet-awesome tracks ever.  But it all became as awesome as it gets when Sonic Adventure was released and I saw the trailer for featuring Open Your Heart.  I was hooked on that song the second I heard it and fell in love when I heard the full version.  I've been a die-hard Crush 40 fan ever since.  It helps that I'm a sucker for kick-ass rock battle themes, and Crush 40 are the kings of those.

As much as the original soundtracks have been awesome over the years, it's the vocal songs that made me buy the soundtracks, one reason I really don't think I'll be buying the LOST WORLD soundtrack with no vocal tracks at all.  Among my favorite CDs are Secret Rings, Sonic Heroes, Shadow The Hedgehog and the Crush 40 showcase that is the Sonic & The Black Knight Vocal Traxx CD.

Here's hoping for some more vocal goodness in the years to come for Sonic and company.

I suppose another reason I enjoy vocal themes is they're buckets of fun when performed live. While there are cases of audience participation even with instrumental themes, I think the crowd gets more active with vocal elements. One of the most surreal things I've experienced is people shouting "Up and down and all around" during performances of Speed Highway; that in itself is a lyrical line, however, hence the audience participation. Similarly, Seaside Hill and Metropolis Mayhem now have lyrics to them courtesy of Sonic Paradox, and people can sing those too.

It's just a wonderful thing to see an entire crowd of hundreds of people actually be able to get in on the action, and it sounds a lot more coherent than everyone trying to vocalise the instruments of Green Hill or Wonder World or another track.

I don't think theres ever really been a vocal theme, heck I think even the ones I didn't like before are now some of my favorites now except for maybe team roses theme in heroes, I never really did like them.

But anyway, going for my favorite tracks I would have to say the SA2 version of sonics theme is probably my favorite along with endless possibilities, it just sounds so much better than the SA1 version (even though that one is still pretty awesome) and nails the sonic presence to a T. Also, special mention goes to Modern city escape for improving an already great song, from the instrumentation to the vocals to that one segment with it doesn't matter playing, ah its just music to my ears (literallybiggrin.png )

I think my first vocal songs I was exposed to was Sonic R's soundtrack. My favorite out of that entire soundtrack was Living in the City, so soothing and energetic. If anything, they need to bring songs from that soundtrack and use them for some high quality scenes in future titles.

Then there's Open Your Heart. I don't think I need to repeat what was already said.

SA2 had some nice vocal themes fitting with the characters, and as far as the Hero side goes I actually prefer the SA2 themes over the SA1 themes (not that they were any bad either, I just like SA2's energy in the themes). What really puts SA2's vocal tracks really high is the variety and acceptance of different genres instead of being identified by one; Sonic had Rock, Shadow had Electronica/Industrial (that unfortunately went to Rock and got rid of that difference and reflection between the two hedgehogs), Knuckles had Hip Hop/R&B, Rouge had Bossa Nova/Jazz. And all these tunes were reflected in their levels, matching the environment and giving it the atmosphere that fit the level as much as it did the character.

After that I think Heroes was where my interest waned in vocal themes after What I'm Made Of. It hasn't had much of the same feel for me since then.

• Thumbs Up 2

I completely forgot until a few days ago another vocal theme I adore: For True Story. Mind you, I like it mostly for the production, btu still, it's a great song.

Controversial opinion incoming!

When it comes to vocal themes it's kinda... hit or miss. Like, most of the tracks in Sonic and the Secret Rings soundtrack were bloody awesome but others such as 'His World' and 'Live and Learn' don't do it for me. I know one or two Sonic fans are going to raise an eyebrow at that but eh, as someone who's been practically raised on Sonic since the Mega Drive games I feel those two themes are A) unfitting for Sonic and/or B) just not well sung overall. Well, Live and Learn is sung quite well... but eh, the song itself isn't that awesome to me.

If I were to choose any sorts of favourites then it's probably a tie between 'Endless Possibility' (due to how atmospheric and upbeat it is) and (surprisingly) all variations of Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity's main theme, 'Ungravitify'.

I adore most of the vocal themes, especially the main themes. Crush 40's Open Your Heart, Live and Learn, What I'm Made Of, His World, Knight of the Wind, they're all great, I really dig the guitar solos and energetic singing of the guys. Would say my favorite is What I'm Made Of (nooooooooooow!) and Open Your Heart as a close second. I also love Endless Possibilities, Reach for the Stars and Speak With Your Heart.

Speaking of which, I also love ALL of the Sonic R songs, I don't care if it's cheesy/weird, or if it doesn't make any sense, I love them!

Speaking of cheeseness, I can't not like this:

It's so cheesy, is good.

Now, if there's one vocal theme I love and would say is one of my favorites of all the series, is the ending of Sonic CD (I freaking love all the CD japanese soundtrack).

I also really like Knuckles' raps from SA2:

Yeah, there isn't many vocal themes in the series that I dislike, I hope they bring them back for the next game, just don't over saturate it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like Life Life, Endless Possibilities, SA1 + 2 It Doesn't Matter, Sonic Heroes, Reach For The Stars, and Escape From The City.

I hate anything from Shadow except E.G.G.M.A.N and All Hail Shadow, and I find the themes from Secret Rings to be bland. And does They Call Me Sonic count?

I loved most of the vocal tracks but my personal favorites has to be Escape From The City and What I'm Made Of.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm generally content with most of Crush 40's tracks. Tracks in Adventure and Adventure such as "Open Your Heart" and "Live And Learn" have rightfully earned their place in the hierarchy as far as music in the series goes, but even some of their later work, such as "Sonic Heroes" and "What I'm Made Of" is alright, despite the former track arguably being somewhat tacky. In my opinion tracks from Shadow The Hedgehog once again showed that Crush 40 was capable of belting out some radical tracks that combined elements of other genres while staying true to their sound. Hard to believe some aren't fans of "I Am" or "Never Turn Back", though this is likely somewhat because of the connotations to the game, which is highly ignorant in itself, but I digress. After Shadow The Hedgehog they still contributed to the soundtrack of Sonic The Hedgehog. As time progresses Crush 40 doesn't play much part in the soundtracks of recent games, and one questions as to why, but it's clear they've left a great impact on the series as a whole.

Other tracks from the series I enjoy are those from Tony Harnell (feat. Ted Poley), such as "It Doesn't Matter" and "Escape From The City", of which are cheesy to an extent (though not as bad as later work), but being a fan of their other acts, TNT and Danger Danger respectively, it's not shock. They stay true to their style and that's what counts in my opinion.

Another artist in general I like, yet isn't much a contributor in the series, is Julien-K. "Waking Up" is quite underrated as far as Sonic music goes, but I put blame on Electronic Rock being more of a niche than anything else.

These I like:

- Un-Gravitify (Cashell) 

- Diamond in The Sky (Sonic R has a great soundtrack, shut up angry.png)

- Knight of the Wind 

- Catch Me If You Can (Zero Gravity Mix)

- It Doesn't matter (SA1) 

- Unknown From M.E. (SA1)

- E.G.G.M.A.N 

- Team Chaotix 

- Live and Learn 

- His World (Zebrahead)

- Open Your Heart 

- Supporting Me 

- Waking Up

- My Sweet Passion (COME AT ME, BITCH)

- Lazy Days (Livin' in Paradise)

- Dreams of an Absolution

- With Me (Massive Power Mix)

There are quite a lot of vocal themes that I adore, so I'll list my favourites.

You Can Do Anything and Sonic Boom: Quite catchy and fitting.

Live & Learn: Very good and gets me pumped up.

Supporting Me (SA2 version): It gave me goosebumps when I first heard it.

Fight the Knight (Crush 40): Good

E.G.G.M.A.N.: Fitting theme song for Eggman.

Lazy Days (Livin' in Paradise): Suits Big.

It Doesn't Matter: I consider it to be Sonic's theme.

I am...All of Me: Heavy, but I love it.

The lack of "With me" mentions really surprises me, especially because it's my favoritetongue.png 

I find that music so fitting not only for the game but for the battle as well. And is a great boss music alone. 

Reading through this thread I find it interesting how Reach For the Stars was only mentioned 2-3 times! Truly, I love Reach For the Stars. It's a great "Sonicy" vocal track. It's happy and upbeat, and both its lyrics and its sound are a good musical representation of Sonic's character. Plus, it's catchy and has a CGI video to go with it.

Another vocal track I like a lot is "Super Sonic Racing", particularly the Generations remix. It's not a very complex or inspired song to be sure, but it's catchy as hell.

And of course, Escape From the City is awesome as well.

I'd make this post longer, but describing my thoughts on music is difficult for me. Vocal themes are something I'd like to see more of in Sonic games, though. I was disappointed to find that Lost World didn't include any vocal tracks at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Best:

• Never Turn Back by Crush 40. After an elegant prelude it kicks off with the guitars blazing and Crush 40 singing at the top of their lungs with the one of the catchiest tunes ever made, if I had to choose one, this would be it.
  • E.G.G.M.A.N by Paul Shortino. Catchy as hell with a neat synthetic, mechanical sound that's so fitting of the Doctor.
  • Endless Possibility by Jaret Riddick. Catchy and upbeat tune about Sonic's adventures and cheerful look on life, the possibilities are never-ending indeed

Honourable mentions: His world by Zebrahead, Live Life by Crush 40

Worst.

• Sonic Heroes by Johnny Gioeli and Jun Senoue, 'Sonic Heroes' repeated over and over to pure nonsense, not a fan of the tune either.
  • We Can by Ted Poley. Despite having a nice tune, the lyrics bash in the horribly forced message of the game even more. Teamwork, not like you mentioned it a hundred times in the game or anything.

'Honourable' mentions: The Wicked Wild by Runblebee, His World by Crush 40.

Catch me if you can by Runblebee (original version).

My favorite vocal themes would have to be 'Open Your Heart,' 'Live and Learn,' and 'Endless Possibilities.' I also like 'E.G.G.M.A.N' and have such a soft spot for SA's 'Believe in Myself,' although it's kind of cheesy. The song really reflects Tails' journey into being independent from Sonic and trusting himself.

My least favorite... would probably have to be 'Seven Rings in Hand.' SatSR is my favorite soundtrack, but I've never really liked the vocals for that song, and I don't think it helped that the song was repeated so often throughout the game.

• Thumbs Up 1