Awoo.

Vocal Themes

Chaos Incarnate

Here's the thing -- I love the vocal themes for Sonic games. Not just 'cause they're great pieces of music (most are though), but because something about them screams production values. I don't mean money put into the project -- funding doesn't always = the best -- I mean time; main vocal themes like Endless Possibilities and Reach for the stars exude passion for the game, as if the sound team have poured their hopes for each project into the main vocal track. They kind of... By putting so much force behind their main tune, the team make it an embodiment of the game, a shining example of its tone and themes.

Lost world's music, to me, is pretty generic. More than that though, there doesn't seem to be any care, any tangible-seeming effort in making the game's OST tremendous. Nothing is a better metaphor for your commitment to a piece of entertainment than a talented vocalist belting out lyrics that personify its very spirit.

And that's how it looks to me -- Lost World doesn't have spirit. The orchestral instrumental score makes it feel like a frolic through a field rather than an intense, new adventure. Maybe the lack of a vocal theme isn't what caused this, I don't know, but it seems to contribute to the lack of an atmosphere in LW at least.

So, if they bring back vocal themes, I'd be tempted to say Sonic Team finally know what they're doing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's the thing -- I love the vocal themes for Sonic games. Not just 'cause they're great pieces of music (most are though), but because something about them screams production values. I don't mean money put into the project -- funding doesn't always = the best -- I mean time; main vocal themes like Endless Possibilities and Reach for the stars exude passion for the game, as if the sound team have poured their hopes for each project into the main vocal track. They kind of... By putting so much force behind their main tune, the team make it an embodiment of the game, a shining example of its tone and themes.

Lost world's music, to me, is pretty generic. More than that though, there doesn't seem to be any care, any tangible-seeming effort in making the game's OST tremendous. Nothing is a better metaphor for your commitment to a piece of entertainment than a talented vocalist belting out lyrics that personify its very spirit.

And that's how it looks to me -- Lost World doesn't have spirit. The orchestral instrumental score makes it feel like a frolic through a field rather than an intense, new adventure. Maybe the lack of a vocal theme isn't what caused this, I don't know, but it seems to contribute to the lack of an atmosphere in LW at least.

So, if they bring back vocal themes, I'd be tempted to say Sonic Team finally know what they're doing.

I agree with you 100 and 10 percent (surprise surprise). Vocal themes are amazing IMO, because they're part of what gives 3D Sonic soundtracks an identity and describe the tone and feel of where the soundtrack is overall going in a nutshell. Whether or not they're downplayed is fine, I didn't mind it for Unleashed and Colors, but removing them all together doesn't make me feel like I'm listening to a Sonic soundtrack anymore(or at least in Lost World's case).

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

For me, vocal themes were part of the fun of the 2000-era of Sonic games. They were pretty corny most of the time, but meh, this is a series about a talking blue hedgehog that doesn't even look like a hedgehog. Much of the early CRUSH 40 stuff (Open Your Heart, Live & Learn, What I'm Made Of, I Am All Of Me, and for their later stuff...I really liked Live Life), Endless Possibility, Fly In the Freedom (SA), Sonic Boom, With Me, Waking Up, Team Chaotix, Lazy Days (Livin' in Paradise), You Can Do Anything, Look Alike (if you can count anime songs : P), Sonic Drive, E.G.G.M.A.N, Un-Gravitify, and despite how much I complain about how long it'll stay in your head...the entire Sonic R soundtrack. XD

Most of the Sonic vocal themes are guilty pleasures for me; While I can admit that the majority of them aren't very good, I still enjoy giving them a listen. Endless Possibility and Reach for the Stars are probably the biggest exceptions to this, since I think they are both legitimately pretty good tracks- not just in a "so bad its good" way.

Oh boy, here we go.

• Endless Possibilities
  • Dear My Friend
  • Worth a Chance
  • All Team Themes in Heroes & What I'm Made Of (Except for Team Rose)
  • E.G.G.M.A.N (Shadow Remix)
  • Blue on the Run (If this counts?)
  • It Has Come to This
  • Race to Win
  • Free (Chris Madin, NOT Crush 40)
  • Sonic Boom (Crush 40 ft. Cash Cash, not the original)
  • Open Your Heart (Crush 40 vs. Bentley Jones)
  • Open Your Heart (Chris Vrenna and Mark Blasques Remix)
  • Dreams of an Absolution (Starry Night Remix)

AlsoSonicX'sOpeningThemePlsDon'tKillMe

Anything else I didn't mention I'm probably a bit hesitant about, or really just can't stand (unless it's from Black Knight, haven't listened to it's tracks yet).

I'd say that the series has had it's really great hits, but it's also got some really annoying ones that I can't stand.

My Favourites include: -

We Can

City Escape

Live and Learn

Believe in Myself

Free

Endless Possibility

Sonic Heroes

Open Your Heart

Reach for the Stars

I Am All of Me

Open Your Heart, Escape from the City, and Lazy Days are literally the only ones I've ever cared about. I know Lazy Days' lyrics are cringe worthy, but I just can't get enough of the slide guitar and piano, especially during their respective solos. 

Honestly, I'm indifferent about almost every other vocal song. They just never stick with me like the infectious melodies of the stage themes or even the simplicity of some of the menu tracks (check out Sonic Adventure 2 Tutorial Music).

I previously stated being indifferent to all other tracks, but it just struck me whilst writing this. The two vocal song I detest are Endless Possibility and His World. I realize it might be a bit of an unpopular opinion to hate Endless Possibility, but I just LOATH Jaret Reddick's voice. The lyrics of the song are well written, but the way Reddick sings just screams angsty, whiny, teenage douche bag (not saying anything about his character). It's such a shame, because his voice is the only problem I have with the song and I can't find tride and true instrumental version anywhere.

My favorites: Un-gravitify, Seven Rings in Hand(and pretty much every song from Secret Rings), It Doesn't Matter SA1 version, What I'm Made of, Sonic Heroes, His World. There are pretty good ones(We can, Team Chaotix, Believe in Myself, Lazy Days) while others are terrible(nearly all vocal theme from Shadow The Hedgehog, My sweet Passion, Speak with your heart, Live and Learn(yeah, you read that right).

• 3 weeks later...

Reach For The Stars is my favorite Vocal Song!

Honestly... also my favorite song, period.

To be honest, I like a big majority of the Sonic vocal theme songs. From Sonic Boom to It Doesn't Matter to Reach for the Stars, I just cna't pick a favourite, honestly. But my least favourite is My Destiny and Sweet Dreams since they are not that memorable to me and My Destiny lyrics heavily emphazies the "love" between Elise and Sonic, which I really don't like. 

I think it'd be interesting if we had vocal themes along the lines of those from Sonic CD's JP/EU soundtrack. A mixture of Japanese and English vocals with an upbeat nature akin to 'You Can Do Anything' would be quite charming, even if it doesn't exactly represent much due to how unpopular Sonic is in Japan.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it'd be interesting if we had vocal themes along the lines of those from Sonic CD's JP/EU soundtrack. A mixture of Japanese and English vocals with an upbeat nature akin to 'You Can Do Anything' would be quite charming, even if it doesn't exactly represent much due to how unpopular Sonic is in Japan.

Actually, CD's JP vocal tracks were completely in English.

• 2 weeks later...

Hah, just the type of topic I was looking for!

When it comes to vocal themes, my absolute favorites are in order: Live & Learn, Open your Heart, What I'm made of and Knight of the Wind. This goes without saying that I'm a huge Crush 40 fan; the music they make is great. Johnny is a mad, talented vocalist, and Jun's riffs make me wanna jump around in my room while headbanging and doing some air guitar.

I think that Crush 40 has done a tremendous job in creating memorable theme songs for this franchise. And as an aspiring singer who's passionate about Sonic, I'd like to do the same (if I'm ever fortunate enough to get such a chance). ;P

That Crush 40 is releasing a new EP makes me optimistic about the future of vocal themes in this franchise, myself. I consider vocal themes, however delightfully campy they may be, to be one of the signature qualities of Sonic the Hedgehog's music, and seeing them in decline is a huge disappointment. I don't know many other bestselling franchises that make such heavy use of vocal music, and so this is saddening; Sonic's lost yet another of its most distinctive qualities.

I guess SEGA just doesn't really want to use Crush 40's rock anymore, which is sad. I assume they instead want a "softer" musician who will stay around for more than a game; after the Bentley Jones controversy, I'm guessing that's become more difficult.

If Boom doesn't have a vocal theme, I guess we can officially consider the whole concept retired. :(

If Boom doesn't have a vocal theme, I guess we can officially consider the whole concept retired. sad.png

I'm not sure why you would think that. If there's one thing that seems to be clear from SEGA's end when it comes to Boom, it's that it and Sonic Team's work are unlikely to conform to each other in that kind of way. Actually, I'd almost be willing to bet that whatever Boom does, Sonic Team is liable to do the exact opposite out of spite to keep the brands distinct.

The Boom game is kind of a special case anyway since it'll probably just use whatever theme song the cartoon has. So probably vocal, but also probably not much like any theme the games have had before. Unless they actually use Sonic Boom~

• 3 weeks later...

I really like My Destiny & my all time favourite will be Dear My Friend and Endless Possibility for me they go very well with the mood of the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know why, but vocal songs such

Endless Possibilities

Believe In Myself

Reach For The Stars

Dreams Of An Absolution

His World

Speak With Your Heart

make me feel... melancholic. Honestly.

They're not sad like Dear My Friend (actually these songs are not sad at all!) and still I have a little lump in my throat when I listen to them unsure.png

Maybe it's their melody, I don't know..

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...

Man, I love these kind of topics. There fun to answer like really! Anyway what are the vocal songs I like. Well that's a easy answer.

I love the likes of....

Escape From The City SA2, With Me Crush 40, Livin In Paradise Big's theme SA1, Dear my Friend actually is a very relaxing song. And finally What I'm Made is also a great song.

I enjoy these songs because there just great to listen too and really bring up your mood for the most part.

I would also love to see these return one day because the series really needs these again in my opinion. Besides there really fun.