Awoo.

What's your envisionment of a Sonic cartoon?

KirbyGamer91

Another Sonic show probably won't be made anytime soon, but what do you envision a Sonic cartoon to be like?

I imagine my Sonic show to be a CGI show by the same people as Night of the Werehog that is lighthearted and comical, but with the occasional serious situation (Think Sonic Unleashed). The main characters should be Sonic, Tails, and an original character.

The plot should involve Sonic and his buddies trying to stop Eggman from taking over an Island where the show would take place, spanning fifty episodes, for a total of two seasons (25 episodes each). The first season should be episodic, while the second season being a story arc which involves Eggman trying to release a Perfect Chaos/Dark Gaia-esque creature, thinking he will achieve ultimate power, and everybody must stop him.

In terms of characters, Sonic and Tails would be the central focus of the show, along with a new character, preferibly (SP?) a female to balance out the show's main crew. But I don't want this character to be like Chris was in Sonic X though, maybe she could be more balanced (Like actually fighting for example). Eggman would of course, be the main villain, but he is a comical one, and "Ergo" from Sonic Unleashed could be his lackey.

As for other characters, I'd like to see Knuckles, Amy, Cream, Big, the Chaotix, the Babylon Rogues, and perhaps Silver, Blaze, Mighty, and Ray. The characters I don't imagine appearing in this show are Shadow, as he needs a serious rest, and therefore, Rouge and Omega aren't likely either, and the only way I can see GUN in this if it were darker in tone, but for a show that's like AoSTH, they probably wouldn't fit, and no characters from other contuities (Sally, Chris, Manic and Sonia, ect.).

In terms of voices, I don't really care if 4Kids provides the voices or not, just as long as the show itself is well-written. And...that's all I can think of for what I would want in a Sonic show. Do you have any ideas?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dr. Mechano

• Flyboy Fox

• redmenace

• Sean

I've only seen the first few episodes of Sonic X.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Freedom Fighters again.

Maybe a show that takes place along with the comics?

A style of show that seems more, "BADASS".

basically. make it more raw.

if any of that makes sense.

I'd like to see a more sophisticated version of AoSTH, with more well written jokes and crazier situations. Sort of like Ed Edd & Eddy, only with Sonic characters.

I wouldn't mind if we had gotten a 13-episode gig featuring glorious Toei animation and having no complex plot and minimal dialogue to speak of whatsoever - I'm in favor of having the Sonic characters speak with only their facial expressions and body language. 325 minutes of Sonic CD-styled action would be tremendous.

Edited by Jake

I wouldn't mind seeing a Sonic show set in Unleashed's universe with art direction and writing similar to Gurren Lagann. My Eyes and Ears would be in heaven.

Also, I want it to have a story that really draws you in.

One with decent animation, and a plotline that doesn't re-iterate the plotline of the games, but does something new...and does it well (not you Sonic X, you did both new stuff real bad and game plotlines were meh imo).

Really, thats all I want out of a Sonic cartoon. Just some good writing and decent animation. Animation doesn't have to be feature quality, but I don't want a lot of still-frames in it either. If one ever does come up though I'd love to work on it xD! I made one for my final project for my 1st year in college here, but I only had 2 months to work on it and I didn't get it 100% completed! So I would also want them to spend time on it. At least start production on the series about a year or a year and a half before the actual airing dates. With a larger team it would probably come together nicely!

And please please PLEASE let it not be animated in flash D:. Other than watching funny flash vids on newgrounds, I absolutely hate the look of flash outside of that. I much prefer the traditional look, there is just something very satisfying about it!

Quality anime, with close adaptations to the game that will follow their guidelines and events closely, but can do whatever in between and with what's not explained or shown. "Filler" episodes close to AOSTH or/and Unleashed, or even the japanese manga CoroCoro that we've seen recently, wacky and funny.

No CGI movie, it is cool, but it's very expensive.

The most important things

*1st FOCUS ON SONIC - EGGMAN. 2nd FOCUS ON SONIC - TAILS. 3d FOCUS ON SONIC // AMY // KNUCKLES. Everyone else should take a step back, though Shadow can be a regular after he appears and can have a lot of focus as well.

*NO ORIGINAL CHARACTERS, KEEP THE CAST AS IT IS. No one should care about the show writer's furry / human fantasies.

*NOT TAKING ITSELF SERIOUSLY.

*NO TERRIBLE SETTINGS MAKE IT FUNKY AND COLOURFUL, NOT DULL AND UNINTERESTING.

Pretty much AOSTH + polish + game adaptations. Every other cartoon failed because of not following this major guidelines.

Thank you.

Edited by redmenace

I'm a minority, but I'd love to see a show with the modern art style (think Sonic X, but less laziness), but with the SatAM cast. Actually, I'd rather see a hybrid of the modern and old school cast. Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Robotnik as the main characters. I'd still wanna have Bunnie, Antoine, Rotor and Sally in there. Freedom Fighters!

Ignoring my wet dream right there, I'd be quite content with a show that had those main 5 as central cast and not too many others. And set in a world with plenty of anthro bystanders. No 'new original' main characters. Please. D:

Just. Like. The. OVA.

That's really all I'd want. Sonic living outside the human world, chilling with Tails and other animals, showing off his attitude and speed, an Eggman with personality, appearances from other characters like Metal, and Knuckles. Even Shadow, because I've got nothing against the new Sonic either. Something between old school and right now. I enjoyed Unleashed's story, so I wouldn't mind the show taking some cues from that kind of story. Just an entirely new show with a new concept, for new Sonic fans.

A proper classic-styled cartoon. One that actually uses Eggman's real classic design- The one with the blue glasses and shoepants, not the off-model pointy head and red eyes used in AoStH, SatAM, and Underground (I loath this design). The OVA, while technically fitting the bill, wasn't a full series unfortunately.

A proper classic-styled cartoon. One that actually uses Eggman's real classic design- The one with the blue glasses and shoepants, not the off-model pointy head and red eyes used in AoStH, SatAM, and Underground (I loath this design). The OVA, while technically fitting the bill, wasn't a full series unfortunately.

True, I want to see that design as well. And the OVA had the only sONIC non original good character, yes that's right, the OWL.

Edited by redmenace

True, I want to see that design as well. And the OVA had the only sONIC non original good character, yes that's right, the OWL.

I liked the President and Sera too. Even the President's butler was kind of cool, just because of his design.

These characters were involved well enough in the plot, but they never overshadowed the original game characters, managing to do what both the freedom fighters and Chris Thorndyke failed to accomplish- Being good supplementary characters without stealing the spotlight from the original ones.

I love that Owl. I think all new anthro characters should be created with that owl in mind. And others like Sonic obviously.

Edited by Badnikz

The problem with the OVA was that it had a lot of mythos that was never put to good use. Plus, I'm not too keen on the OVA's environment to begin with.

The problem with the OVA was that it had a lot of mythos that was never put to good use. Plus, I'm not too keen on the OVA's environment to begin with.

Which is fine. My main desire was to see a cartoon with on-model classic characters. Using game environments would be all the better.

Keeping the Japanese canon in mind, which is set on Earth, I'd fully expect human background characters to appear(As in the OVA), despite how whimsical and surreal the world is. But in the end, no one(Human or animal) would be promoted to the same level as the game characters.

That said, there's lots of potential for episodic storylines- Eggman can launch so many wacky plots in the various environments the games offer.

Edited by El Gran Gordo

A cartoon with high-quality animation (in the style of this Japanese ad for Sonic 1) in a Genesis-Sonic styled world, based around the original promo comic story, and with AoSTH-styled humor (yet with a story and premise abit more sophisticated than that show). Sonic running around South Island on crazy crusades and misadventures, saving the animals of Mobius one-at-a-time from the villanous Dr. Robotnik (in this design eggs-actly ) along with the help of his buddy and "brother" Tails.

The series would be based around a different plot every episode, each having to do with the Eggman's hard-boiled shenanigans. The show takes itself seriously at times, but not-so-seriously at others (think Unleashed). Contains a low cast of main characters, only consisting of Sonic, Tails, Robotnik and sometimes Knuckles (when the plot is suited for him). All four of the character's personalities are based around their Fleetway counterparts.

Scratch & Grounder could return as Robotnik's lackeys, but only on certain occasions, like when he really needs them. The majority of the population in the show should only consist of woodland creatures like Flickies, etc. (not anthropomorphs like SatAM). However, characters like Amy, the Chaotix (including Mighty), Fang / Nack, Bark and Bean could appear every now and then, as either cameos or having to do with one or two episodes.

Edited by Azukara

Which is fine. My main desire was to see a cartoon with on-model classic characters. Using game environments would be all the better.

Yeah. The American designs always bothered me and I've always wanted to see something close to a full-length Sonic CD. If the ending sequence is anything to go by, the game zones can translate pretty well into an animated form, though I have to admit that the canyon in the opening sequence has some pizazz to it.

The OVA got the character designs right, but I also thought that the animation itself was a bit stiff in comparison.

I'm a minority, but I'd love to see a show with the modern art style (think Sonic X, but less laziness), but with the SatAM cast. Actually, I'd rather see a hybrid of the modern and old school cast. Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Robotnik as the main characters. I'd still wanna have Bunnie, Antoine, Rotor and Sally in there. Freedom Fighters!

Ignoring my wet dream right there, I'd be quite content with a show that had those main 5 as central cast and not too many others. And set in a world with plenty of anthro bystanders. No 'new original' main characters. Please. D:

I second this.

I like the SatAM characters, so either make a new SatAM show, or an Archie cartoon and I will be happy.

Yeah. The American designs always bothered me and I've always wanted to see something close to a full-length Sonic CD. If the ending sequence is anything to go by, the game zones can translate pretty well into an animated form, though I have to admit that the canyon in the opening sequence has some pizazz to it.

The OVA got the character designs right, but I also thought that the animation itself was a bit stiff in comparison.

I agree, but about quality, it was a long time ago so it's forgivable.

I second this.

I like the SatAM characters, so either make a new SatAM show, or an Archie cartoon and I will be happy.

Why do people insist in alienating the majority of the fanbase with the comics or the cartoons continuity that aren't popular enough or are long gone? It's only setting themselves for disappointment, it's never going to happen, and for the good of the franchise too. I understand you people like this, and I like Sonic 3D for some stupid reason, but I won't go around saying I want more of that since I know it's not what Sonic is in the first place.

Want to see Eggman or any of the others in their classic design? Sure. Focus on Sonic, Tails, Eggman and Knuckles, maybe throw Amy because she's female? Fine, it was what everyone was used to, what everyone knows, and what everyone in the fanbase likes or should like since the games are what connects everyone together. Everyone that dislikes the games and likes any of the spin-offs has no place in the franchise since that's not what it is, escuse me my harshness but I can't grasp this as a logic thought. It makes no sense to do a cartoon in this time with the obscure characters of Archie or SatAM. They're not big enough, not even in the slightest, to overthrow the game's continuity. Sonic X is something between the two which I'm not sure what is exacly.

I won't even go on with the out of place logic either, because I don't want to derail the topic, but neither of them can fit in today's version of Sonic (I have doubts it did back then for inumerous reasons).

Edited by redmenace

I wouldn't go quite that far, redmenace. But I will say that the freedom fighters and off-model pointy-headed red-eyed Robotnik already had their time in the spotlight.

The classic game designs only got a two-episode direct-to-video special. There's no shortage of the Americanized Sonic when it comes to cartoons, but the classic Japanese design set is quite neglected in this department.

A part of me wonders if I could have accepted SatAM a bit more easily if the designs were on-model. Like, even with Robotnik's uncharacteristic cruelty, if he at least looked like his cutesy game design instead of the grotesque cyborg of the cartoon, I might've been able to at least appreciate the series for its art direction. (That and, I suspect, the design would've eventually lent itself better to comedic moments as the series went along)

AoStH definitely would've worked with the game designs since it was so lighthearted and goofy to begin with, as well. Ah well.

Edited by El Gran Gordo

Don't worry, part of the reason I couldn't stand the American Mega Man cartoon was because of the tremendously hideous redesigns. And what they did to Roll and Proto Man. :(

Why do people insist in alienating the majority of the fanbase with the comics or the cartoons continuity that aren't popular enough or are long gone? It's only setting themselves for disappointment, it's never going to happen, and for the good of the franchise too. I understand you people like this, and I like Sonic 3D for some stupid reason, but I won't go around saying I want more of that since I know it's not what Sonic is in the first place.

Want to see Eggman or any of the others in their classic design? Sure. Focus on Sonic, Tails, Eggman and Knuckles, maybe throw Amy because she's female? Fine, it was what everyone was used to, what everyone knows, and what everyone in the fanbase likes or should like since the games are what connects everyone together. Everyone that dislikes the games and likes any of the spin-offs has no place in the franchise since that's not what it is, escuse me my harshness but I can't grasp this as a logic thought. It makes no sense to do a cartoon in this time with the obscure characters of Archie or SatAM. They're not big enough, not even in the slightest, to overthrow the game's continuity. Sonic X is something between the two which I'm not sure what is exacly.

I won't even go on with the out of place logic either, because I don't want to derail the topic, but neither of them can fit in today's version of Sonic (I have doubts it did back then for inumerous reasons).

First of all the thread asks what's MY envisionment of a Sonic Cartoon, and second of all I think you are under cutting is. You have no right to say those people have no place in the franchise, a lot of people got into sonic through the cartoons, and some just like those and are not big fan of the games. You act as though it would immediately alienate fans, but I think the odler fans of SatAM would watch it, plus all the newer Sonic fans would give it a try out of curiosity, and if it's a good cartoon I think they would stay. It doesn't need to over throw the Conic continuity, they just need to be good, the story needs to be good and the characters have to have good personality, which I think both SatAM and Archie excel at. As far as "today's" version of Sonic I think you need to understand they are different universes, and shouldn't put such little faith in the fanbase.

As far as "today's" version of Sonic I think you need to understand they are different universes, and shouldn't put such little faith in the fanbase.

Wait, what?

The games were different from SatAM even in the 90s.

However, "today's" version of Sonic- as you put it- is the same universe as the 90s videogames. It's not a matter of eras, but of products. The Sonic who appeared on the Genesis is the same character, with the same history, as the Sonic who appeared in Sonic Unleashed. However, this Sonic is not the same Sonic as the Sonic who appeared in SatAM.

Thus, your emphasis on "today's" confuses me. It has nothing to do with older/newer fans, but rather fans of the game storyline versus the cartoons' varying storylines.

Wait, what?

The games were different from SatAM even in the 90s.

However, "today's" version of Sonic- as you put it- is the same universe as the 90s videogames. It's not a matter of eras, but of products. The Sonic who appeared on the Genesis is the same character, with the same history, as the Sonic who appeared in Sonic Unleashed. However, this Sonic is not the same Sonic as the Sonic who appeared in SatAM.

Thus, your emphasis on "today's" confuses me. It has nothing to do with older/newer fans, but rather fans of the game storyline versus the cartoons' varying storylines.

Oh no I am agreeing with you Gordo, I meant it to come across as the lack of importance on the separation between today's and the 90's version because they were always different universes. I was saying that because Redmenace seemed to be putting an emphasis on today's Sonic.