Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

2 hours ago, RLS Legacy said:

Same reason they changed up the cast for Ratchet and Clank. And had Bob Hoskins play Mario.

Because recognisable names = ticket money.

Technically the voice cast in Ratchet & Clank movie was mostly the same as the games the only exceptions are Drek and Victor's voices, as their voices are Not the same as the original games and also were changed for the PS4 game remake. They brought in bigger names to voice the newer characters and Drek and Victor. Ratchet, Clank, Qwark and Dr. Nefarious' voices were unchanged. Mario was Never in Ratchet & Clank (the games or movie) as R&C is a Playstation Exclusive, while Mario is owned by Nintendo. Now Mario will appear in Wreck-it Ralph 2 in 2018.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Mayor D said:

Oh for...

Look if you're gonna stand by the whole "this movie will be shit!" Without actually seeing anything for it.

At least have the decency to not make shit up to support your stance or at least post the source of the bullshit so we can see how easy it is to fool people these days.

Lol nevermind. Someone said it as a goof and I actually believed it, so that's 100% my bad. 

? egg on my face...

I honestly can't bring myself to have some sort of straight expectation for this movie. For me, it's all gonna have to depend on how much say each side has on the movie.

If the SONY execs have a big say, then "bad" is a reasonable expectation of the quality to have. If SEGA or the people writing the scripts and directing are competent and have a majority say, then "good - meh" is my range of expectations.

Only a miracle can bring it to "excellent" for me.

Marza is the only side I can completely trust here though.

You know, I'm going to be cautious optimistic on this and not going to judge the movie until the day that it's out. Anyway, since the movie is confirmed to be a live action/CGI hybrid movie, I could see some of the Sega staff like Iizuka and Yuji appear in the movie as cameos like Stan Lee appear as a cameo in several Marvel movies and Toru Iwatani appear in a cameo as a arcade repairman in Pixels. It would be nice to see that happening.

Well said @kadybat

Thats probably the most in depth look I've had at all the moving pieces of this puzzle. Its easy to forget all the people that make up the project in lieu of the name on top of the building.

Although this one part did give me more than a little bit of a chuckle.

1 hour ago, kadybat said:

but his attachment to both Sonic and the Fast and the Furious franchise gives me hope that he'll offer sage advice in turning Sonic into an approachable-but-kickass, fast-paced, PG/PG-13 action-adventure movie that focuses on the value of friendship (seriously, Fast and the Furious is 100% what a Sonic movie should look like, especially the entries post-Fast Five).

Its one of those things that is just so wrong its right. You hit the nail on the head with this one.

Any Sonic movie worth its weight would be looking to evoke similar themes and motives. The F&F franchise is all about the importance of friends/family and that going fast can solve any problem. Throw in a dash of looking cool while doing it and you've got yourself the outline of the Sonic movie in a nutshell. Power of Teamwork, Gotta Go Fast, Badass, Goodnight.

• Thumbs Up 2

@kadybat You should also mention that Blur/Miller have actually had a few years of CG experience with Sonic. (Shadow The Hedgehog - Sonic Riders)

• Thumbs Up 7

2 hours ago, BxB-Meister said:

@kadybat You should also mention that Blur/Miller have actually had a few years of CG experience with Sonic. (Shadow The Hedgehog - Sonic Riders)

Sonic 2006 CG intros were also animated by Blur Studios.

• Thumbs Up 1

I didn’t actually realize Blur had Sonic experience, I hadn’t caught that. Those are really great CGs, that gives me a ton of hope. 

I'm hoping the live action thing will be limited on Mike Pollock playing Eggman for real, not just the voice.

... After speculating about this not-so-possible possibility I got some loud laughs out of my friends.

A live-action version of Eggman being portrayed by a real person just does Not fit in with the Sonic franchise, even 2006's version of Eggman didn't fit in with the rest of the series (which doesn't make sense really, because Eggman's traditional design from modern Sonic games was used in Shadow's game with humans, in 2006 they should have kept his design from Shadow). They should use Eggman's CG model from the games.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sega is attending SDCC 2017 this year, maybe we will see more news on the Sonic The Hedgehog movie.

don't know whether i should be excited for this or not? i'll have to wait to find out more. it should be interesting to see what direction they take this. 

Here is the official Sonic Stream from yesterday, giving details about Sega and Sonic at SDCC 2017.

I hope the Sonic movie does Not wind up like The Legend of Spyro 3D movie. Now the Legend of Spyro movie had a release date, but when that day came around everyone was confused because it was Not in theaters, no poster or commercials, no advertising whatsoever, after the delayed release date Activision announced to take Spyro in another direction being Skylanders. Activision pretty much ruined Spyro with Skylanders along with Crash in Skylanders Academy, and whether or not the movie will get another distributer or anything is unknown. This is Not happening with Sonic because there is an advertisement for it, Sega is still talking about it and more information that they can't share yet, according to Aaron Webber at E3 2017. I have high hopes for the Sonic movie and I hope that 2019 thing was a misprint and as for the Legend of Spyro movie being released or picked up by another company, no one knows but I hope it still happens, I would really pick a movie based on Legend of Spyro over a movie based on the Skylanders Spyro.

Sega mentioned the Sonic 2019 movie in a new interview discussing Sonic Forces, Boom, Mania and the movie. However, not much information was discussed and they said to keep watching for updates, here is the article. http://www.licensing.biz/big-interviews/read/the-fastest-thing-alive-sega-talks-its-packed-sonic-line-up-video-games-month/046233

Also in the section of the article talking about the movie, notice what he says ``Rice: We are making a hybrid CG/live-action family film but as with every major release, we are keeping our cards close to our chest whilst we finalise our plans around merchandise and marketing, so you will just have to be patient and look out for updates in the near future. The new Sonic movie is already set to be one of the biggest events in the history of the Sonic franchise." Sounds to me that the movie could already be finished and their just finishing their advertising and product lines. He also said to be patient and look for updates in the Near Future, could he be implying SDCC 2017 next week perhaps? He never mentioned a release date, so that 2019 thing might've been a clear misprint or typo as what some of you might call it and it might still meet the 2018 release. There is still more in the article that I suggest you read for more info.

• Thumbs Up 5

I really want to watch and LOVE this movie, but without even looking at this first video, I can already tell that it's going to be horrible. I don't feel like watching the whole thing, but here is one guy's theory as to why it's going to be bad:

But that is not the full point I am going to make. I will bawl my eyes out if everyone hates this movie because I love this franchise way too much! But this is the majority of why I think it will be a horrible movie!

That and the quote at the beginning of the Super Mario Bros. Movie Honest Trailer from ScreenJunkies that "Video game based movies are a terrible idea"! I really DESPERATELY want to love this movie as much to death as the rest of the franchise, but I will have a hard time doing so only because of the horrible reputation of this entire genre of video game-based movies! And when it comes out and it does get slammed by critics, everyone will be saying "Am I supposed to be surprised at all?" Not because everyone hates Sonic the Hedgehog, but because every video game-based movie had suffered the exact same reputation! This inevitable negative reception of the upcoming movie will most definitely haunt me for life!

PS - Speaking of the first video's user talking about Alvin and the Chipmunks, starting last year, I became a huge fan of the franchise after seeing the Nostalgia Critic review of the first movie and testing myself on the traditional way to get the Chipmunk voice.

1 hour ago, avidsonicfan1991 said:

but because every video game-based movie had suffered the exact same reputation!

There was a time not too long ago when any and all superhero flicks were doomed to mediocrity. Then, one guy swooped into the knight and changed all that. Now there are a bunch of genuinely good comic movies.

just some food for thought.

• Thumbs Up 2

HOT TAKE: Not every video game movie is horrible. I mean, Street Fighter the movie exists, and if that's not a fun movie to watch I don't know what to tell you. It's not a great movie but every single actor looks like they're having a god damn blast making the movie. M Bison uses a Street Fighter II arcade joystick setup to control his evil machine, and the movie includes classic lines such as Zangief yelling "change the channel!" at a broken television. Please watch the Street Fighter movie and tell me you don't enjoy yourself. Thanks.

• Thumbs Up 6

21 minutes ago, kadybat said:

HOT TAKE: Not every video game movie is horrible. I mean, Street Fighter the movie exists, and if that's not a fun movie to watch I don't know what to tell you. It's not a great movie but every single actor looks like they're having a god damn blast making the movie. M Bison uses a Street Fighter II arcade joystick setup to control his evil machine, and the movie includes classic lines such as Zangief yelling "change the channel!" at a broken television. Please watch the Street Fighter movie and tell me you don't enjoy yourself. Thanks.

Ratchet & Clank and the Angry Birds movies are really good movies. Even Angry Birds movie 2 is coming in 2019 the same year as the Sonic movie.

On 7/16/2017 at 6:44 PM, avidsonicfan1991 said:

I really want to watch and LOVE this movie, but without even looking at this first video, I can already tell that it's going to be horrible. I don't feel like watching the whole thing, but here is one guy's theory as to why it's going to be bad:

But that is not the full point I am going to make. I will bawl my eyes out if everyone hates this movie because I love this franchise way too much! But this is the majority of why I think it will be a horrible movie!

That and the quote at the beginning of the Super Mario Bros. Movie Honest Trailer from ScreenJunkies that "Video game based movies are a terrible idea"! I really DESPERATELY want to love this movie as much to death as the rest of the franchise, but I will have a hard time doing so only because of the horrible reputation of this entire genre of video game-based movies! And when it comes out and it does get slammed by critics, everyone will be saying "Am I supposed to be surprised at all?" Not because everyone hates Sonic the Hedgehog, but because every video game-based movie had suffered the exact same reputation! This inevitable negative reception of the upcoming movie will most definitely haunt me for life!

PS - Speaking of the first video's user talking about Alvin and the Chipmunks, starting last year, I became a huge fan of the franchise after seeing the Nostalgia Critic review of the first movie and testing myself on the traditional way to get the Chipmunk voice.

I thought Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva was an interesting movie.

6 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

I thought Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva was an interesting movie.

I actually have never heard of that movie, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to count that one. Mostly because it's a 100% Japanese film, and I think Japanese mindsets for making movies are different from Americans (And especially Uwe Boll's). But even I have to admit that when I looked it up on Wikipedia, IGN UK had said that it was "one of the first and few "good" video game films". But because it's Japanese, I don't think many people will ever hear of it or understand it without subtitles.

EDIT: I forgot to realize that a year later came a Manga Entertainment-made English dub! But we all know how notorious and inferior dubs are to subtitled foreign films.

8 hours ago, kadybat said:

8 hours ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

Ratchet & Clank and the Angry Birds movies are really good movies. Even Angry Birds movie 2 is coming in 2019 the same year as the Sonic movie.

But too many people think otherwise for each of them!

Street Fighter The Movie: 15% on Rotten Tomatoes, 3.8/10 on IMDb

Ratchet and Clank: 17% on Rotten Tomatoes, 5.6/10 on IMDb

The Angry Birds Movie: 44% on Rotten Tomatoes, 6.3/10 on IMDb

Other than the Angry Birds Movie, which I see as just "mixed reviews", the results for the other two look pretty harsh!

23 hours ago, avidsonicfan1991 said:

Street Fighter The Movie: 15% on Rotten Tomatoes, 3.8/10 on IMDb

Ratchet and Clank: 17% on Rotten Tomatoes, 5.6/10 on IMDb

The Angry Birds Movie: 44% on Rotten Tomatoes, 6.3/10 on IMDb

Well, at least Ratchet & Clank got better ratings than Street Fighter.

I don't know about you guys but the recent Netflix produced Castlevania (which is presented as a series but is really more of an OVA or movie) just came out and it was pretty great and faithful to the games. So I don't feel so bad about Videogame movies myself.