Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

I hope the plot isn't going about a silly and boring plot about Sonic and his friends helping a random man getting the girlfriend that he want to be with. I mean the movie is supposed to focus on Sonic and his friends fighting Dr. Eggman, and there is going to be actions in this film. Right? There is no point of doing a Sonic movie that isn't going to focus on them. Nobody wants that. So, it's going to be risky and tough on how they will pull the Live Action/CGI hybrid part off. They will have to do a lot of dangerous stunts such as explosions and car chases. However, I will remain carefully optimistic on the movie. Anyway, I could see a lot of easter eggs and references in the movie. It would be cool to see them in the movie.

Hopefully, the animations will be just the same as these.:

• 1 month later...

Sounds like it's been in utter development hell if it's moved studios.

Considering it's a franchise as big as Sonic, I'm not gonna say this movie won't happen entirely.. but it will be a mess when it does unless a miracle happens.

I mean, we've already been through a few different writers and producers anyway, and the date's been pushed back multiple times. It's in development hell.

Ultimately I kinda just wish this thing would go away. It's a video game movie, those aren't good, and god knows Sonic doesn't need more things for people to point to and go "SEE? THE SERIES IS DEAD". Either make it good or don't make it at all.

• Thumbs Up 7

In a vacuum, it's a better deal then sticking with Sony. Problem is, the fact that it's been so long since it's been announced, the fact that it's date has changed, the fact that it's studio has changed, and the fact that we've gotten no information about it aside from the worst possible news ever about it being live-action is telling enough that we're in for a mud-slide of a movie here, if it even happens at all.

You know what would spell confidence in this movie? Literally the opposite of everything I just listed there. 

Make another Night of the Werehog kind of thing goddammit. 

• Thumbs Up 9

So, the movie is being moved to Paramount eh? I guess Sony wasn't interested in making the film or they just don't care. It's unbelievable that it been years since they started development on this, and we literally know nothing about it. They still trying to make this Live-Action CGI Hybrid happen!? Oh, I wish they make this an animated film instead. What's so hard about making this an animated film!? Oh well, their decisions.

I guess, this is kinda good news to us. At least, it will be in the hands of Paramount that made the Spongebob movie, not Sony, the company that was responsible for a disaster called the Emoji Movie.

But, I'm still worried that the same studio that made the Transformers movies, the TMNT movies, Monster Trucks, and Ghost in the Shell will be making this. I hope the characters won't be realistic and will retain their designs like the main characters in the Spongebob movie. Hollywood is known for screwing up childhood, rather than respecting them.

On the positive note, I'm glad Neal H. Moritz (Fast and the Furious, S.W.AT., Goosebumps, 21 Jump Street, and Vantage Point), Tim Miller (Deadpool), and the others will stay to work on this. Hopefully, we get some actions in the film.

Oh, by the way, the writer that used to work on the Sonic movie was happy to see the movie being moved to Paramount.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Shaddy the guy said:

I mean, we've already been through a few different writers and producers anyway, and the date's been pushed back multiple times. It's in development hell.

Ultimately I kinda just wish this thing would go away. It's a video game movie, those aren't good, and god knows Sonic doesn't need more things for people to point to and go "SEE? THE SERIES IS DEAD". Either make it good or don't make it at all.

I don't think a bad movie would add fuel to the "lol sonic sucks" fire. I mean I don think people say that Ratchet and Clank sucks/dead because of its mediocre movie.

2 hours ago, CoolRobo said:

So, the movie is being moved to Paramount eh? I guess Sony wasn't interested in making the film or they just don't care. It's unbelievable that it been years since they started development on this, and we literally know nothing about it. They still trying to make this Live-Action CGI Hybrid happen!? Oh, I wish they make this an animated film instead. What's so hard about making this an animated film!? Oh well, their decisions.

I guess, this is kinda good news to us. At least, it will be in the hands of Paramount that made the Spongebob movie, not Sony, the company that was responsible for a disaster called the Emoji Movie.

But, I'm still worried that the same studio that made the Transformers movies, the TMNT movies, Monster Trucks, and Ghost in the Shell will be making this. I hope the characters won't be realistic and will retain their designs like the main characters in the Spongebob movie. Hollywood is known for screwing up childhood, rather than respecting them.

On the positive note, I'm glad Neal H. Moritz (Fast and the Furious, S.W.AT., Goosebumps, 21 Jump Street, and Vantage Point), Tim Miller (Deadpool), and the others will stay to work on this. Hopefully, we get some actions in the film.

Oh, by the way, the writer that used to work on the Sonic movie was happy to see the movie being moved to Paramount.

He most likely will not look straight out of the games like Spongebob did, unless this is a PG rated kids movie like that or Space Jam. And If this is still going to be an action movie (the writers suggest it will be) Sonic will probably get some kind of redesign to fit the live action world. There's no way in hell he won't. I think fans need to accept this otherwise there's going to be a lot of disappointed when we get our first look. I've seen it happen time & time again through different fandoms.

40 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

I don't think a bad movie would add fuel to the "lol sonic sucks" fire. I mean I don think people say that Ratchet and Clank sucks/dead because of its mediocre movie.

Nobody was questioning the quality of the entire Ratchet and Clank franchise after they broke their winning streak. This movie will add quite a bit of fuel to the "lol sonic sucks" bandwagon.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I still can't imagine this movie being anything above awful. As per the discussion years ago when this was first announced with Sony at the helm: video game movies are normally poor, live-action CGI crosses don't have a good reputation, Hollywood botches many adaptations with asinine plots or redesigns, Sonic has a history of inconsistency and poor-form, and now the film is even changing studios. I just don't see this being good. When you go about making a video game movie, you've really got to hit the ground running. All we have so far for Sonic is a placeholder date and an animation style, and yet it's still managed to fall at every hurdle.

• Thumbs Up 7

Geez, this movie seem to be in production hell. Won't be surprised if it's delayed for another year or two. I guess it's good news that Sony is out of the picture. Then again, Paramount does have some terrible live action film adaptations under it's belt. So..

This movie should stay in development hell until someone realizes it’s really stupid to make a live action Sonic film.

Sonic X: The Movie is not something we need, and it’s not going to succeed.

• Thumbs Up 9

While I was reading the article, I notice this.:

Neal H. Moritz, whose Original Film banner recently signed an upcoming first look deal with Paramount, will produce the project, which is coming to the studio after Sony Entertainment put it into turnaround.

I guess this is the reason why Sony decide to give up working the movie. So, in case you guys didn't know, a turnaround is an arrangement in the film industry whereby the production costs of a project which one studio has developed are declared a loss on the studio's tax return, thereby preventing the studio from exploiting the property any further. The rights can be sold to another studio in exchange for the cost of development plus interest. The deal is where the rights are sold off to another studio. They get the rights, while the studio that used to own the rights get help with the cost of development, plus any interest.

• Thumbs Up 4

I don't believe Sonic Movie can't be good, even if CGI/Live Action... I do believe it can be terrible.

Maybe they should just hire guys from Mania

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

More Sonic movie then Sony gave us in 4 years.

Oh huh, that's neat I guess. Maybe the studio will end up talking them outta the live action bullshi-

Paramount plans on making a movie that will blend live action and CGI animation as it brings Sonic to the big screen for the first time.

-okay nevermind it's still gonna be shite then

Eh, it might as well be live action if they're not going to recreate the fantastical environments of the games.

And that's not even a knock on the film; the only cartoon adaptation that even attempted to try and recreate the game environment (or at least capture its surrealist nature) was Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, and that's a commendable point given its shoestring budget. Literally everything else has stuck to much more generic environments, even the OVA and Sonic X. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait, now Paramount is producing it? I'm not surprised considering the bad state they're in right now. Almost all their movies this year have been underperforming or bombing, so they must be desperate for something popular that will make them big bucks...like Sonic! 

I can't believe they're still sticking to live action/CG hybrid though. I know there's rare cases of it actually working (Paddington), but that was a European studio! How can I trust even Paramount to do a good job??

Speaking of live action/CG hybrid, anyone seen the trailer for Peter Rabbit? It's fucking awful and an embarrassment to the original Beatrix Potter stories. 

• Thumbs Up 2

43 minutes ago, Gabz Girl said:

Speaking of live action/CG hybrid, anyone seen the trailer for Peter Rabbit? It's fucking awful and an embarrassment to the original Beatrix Potter stories. 

I didn't even know about it until now. Man, and those books could have really used the Peanuts Movie treatment, too.

From Sony to Paramount? I'm not sure that's all that much better. I wish they'd just drop the live-action + animation idea.

More importantly, they've always released an image of Sonic's final design for the movie. It's actually surprisingly great. I'll put it in spoiler tags for those who are waiting for the first trailer:

Spoiler

VuamPl3.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 3