Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Changing the proportions of his head hands and gloves and giving him some more realistic touches doesn't somehow magically create a more palatable version of the character.

In fact, usually the opposite is true. 99 times out of 100 it creates something that only serves to be some kind of horrific hodgepodge stuck in the middle that serves to satisfy no one.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

...yeah to be honest dude I'll be seeing that in my fucking nightmares tonight.

That aside he still doesn't look like he fits into reality and he's looking even less like our loveable hero Sonic and more like some kind of horrible goblin.

2 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Changing the proportions of his head hands and gloves and giving him some more realistic touches doesn't somehow magically create a more palatable version of the character.

In fact, usually the opposite is true. 99 times out of 100 it creates something that only serves to be some kind of horrific hodgepodge stuck in the middle that serves to satisfy no one.

Like I said, rough idea. Heres one from Deviant art I found: S2NCl5K.png

And here's my take jtpNKt9.jpg

That is imo my best attempt and I posted it on Twitter and several liked this version. 

And yes, it will make a difference. The Ratchet from the Future series did the same thing. It made Ratchet have more anatomically correct  proportions and it worked wonderfully for his design. 

This version for example is my favorite take on a more real Sonic yet and it encompasses everything I've been saying:

2rXdlqh.jpg

Now you can't tell this would not work wonderfully if brought into live action. This is the clasic design with more toned down proportions and an athletic build much like the heroes of Marvel. 

• My Emmerdoods 2

2 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Now you can't tell this would not work wonderfully if brought into live action.

I can, I have, and I will continue to, because I find all of these to be incredibly gross.

You're consistently hitting the uncanny valley between "realistic enough to work in live action" and "actually looks like Sonic the Hedgehog" and pulling out terrifying goblins and, in the case of that last pic, The Sonic That Furries Will Want To Fuck (More Than Usual).

• Thumbs Up 1

Some news update. The Sonic movie will be filmed in an small town called Ladysmith.:

https://www.ladysmithchronicle.com/news/paramount-budgets-7m-for-sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-shoot-in-hero-town-ladysmith/

Here are the details for the filming.

“We searched all over B.C. and have chosen Ladysmith as our hero town for our movie,” said Abraham Fraser, the location manager for the film.

Filming will take place starting in mid-September for somewhere in the range of eight to 11 days along First Avenue, between Roberts Street and Gatacre Street.

“For the majority of our filming we would require to close the block entirely…with the hopes of doing intermittent traffic control,” Fraser said, adding how there would be upwards of six days of shooting overnight.

The movie’s plot is about a small town coming together to help the sheriff save Sonic – a blue anthropomorphic hedgehog that can reach the speed of sound – from the government chasing after him.

As part of the Sonic the Hedgehog shoot, Bayview Framing is set to become the police station in the movie and the Top Drawer Consignment store next door will be transformed into a donut shop.

Other arrangements are being worked on with local businesses that also might agree to have their storefronts temporarily changed.

The Sonic film has budgeted $300,000 for any loss of business and recouping costs would involve filling out a form available through the Creative BC website.

“I certainly don’t feel that any small business should be funding any feature film and so if they’re losing money we have to compensate them for that,” Fraser said.

He’s met with about 80 per cent of the downtown businesses and called the majority of discussions “very positive.”

“Paramount can’t really afford that negative publicity. I don’t live on the island, but I have in the past, and I still look at all of B.C. as my backyard,” Fraser said, later adding “we certainly don’t want to walk away from the town with anyone feeling disgruntled.”

Upwards of 150 crew members are coming from Vancouver for the shoot and will be staying in local hotels, meaning the economic spin off has the potential to be huge for Ladysmith and the surrounding area.

The Sonic the Hedgehog movie also plans to shop local for food and other supplies as well as hire as many people from the Island as possible to fill everything from security to production assistant positions.

Vancouver Island North Film Commission’s (INFilm) Joan Miller said the decision to pick Ladysmith as the ‘hero town’ in the movie was a creative one that also benefits neighbouring communities.

“It’s a creative decision but what’s nice about this is that there are other locations that are benefiting from this,” Miller said. “The fact that we could put a bigger package together for them and we could find more than just one location was a real bonus as well so we are now doing our best to expand our services and support…”

One of those other locations is along Hwy. 19 between Qualicum Beach and Courtenay where a chase scene could be shot involving a pickup truck. Discussions are underway between the municipality, Comox Valley Regional District and provincial government.

Back here in Ladysmith, the largest unknown to be hammered out in the coming weeks will be where all the production vehicles involved with the film will be parked.

“Our big hair (and) makeup crews will be well off site,” Abraham said, suggesting Transfer Beach as a potential option being explored.

Other vehicles must be all kept on level ground meaning thoroughfares such as Roberts Street and Gatacre will be clear of the work trucks and generators.

Mayor Aaron Stone said it is important to recognize that Paramount is a major Hollywood production company and “Sonic the Hedgehog is like Sega’s Mario Brothers, so it’s the number one property that the Sega brand has.”

“It’s a high budget, live action, CGI… this is not a Sci-Fi Network, independent or Hallmark (Channel) movie production,” Stone said. “This is Paramount and it’s a big budget holiday action, family adventure type of movie.”

• Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I can, I have, and I will continue to, because I find all of these to be incredibly gross.

You're consistently hitting the uncanny valley between "realistic enough to work in live action" and "actually looks like Sonic the Hedgehog" and pulling out terrifying goblins and, in the case of that last pic, The Sonic That Furries Will Want To Fuck (More Than Usual).

Who cares? Lol furries already want to fuck Sonic as is. I swear man, there is no pleasing some people. The first one is a bit extreme but there is nothing wrong with the last two. The second one is what Sonic would lool like in real life. You can't have Sonic looking like he stepped out of a Looney Toones cartoon in a movie where cars are being thrown off a Highway in a chase sequence in vein of Fast and Furious. It's not going to work for ANYBODY outside of the fanbase. I can only imagine the reaction here if the movie is revealed and Sonic and friends end up looking as horrible as this:

ScGvi5z.jpg

It's either something as horrifying as that an updated version of the Sonic we all know and love. Some people are not going to be pleased no matter what In the end.

• Fist Bump 1

11 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

You can't have Sonic looking like he stepped out of a Looney Toones cartoon in a movie where cars are being thrown off a Highway in a chase sequence in vein of Fast and Furious. It's not going to work for ANYBODY outside of the fanbase.

Well, what if they do anyway? What if that is just what he looks like?

3 minutes ago, Razule said:

Well, what if they do anyway? What if that is just what he looks like?

Then the movie will be laughed out of theaters and it would easily become the next big meme of 2019 much like the Mummy did last year. This movie has to to sell itself to the general movie-going public who will make up 99.8% of the box-office gross. What will work for the fanbase will not work for ANYBODY else. The ONLY way Sonic looking like a cartoon character would work and not come off as a complete joke is if that was the intended effect with a self-refential slapstick comedy like Roger Rabbit or a parody that pokes fun at how ridiculous it is. And everything we've seen and heard from this movie so far shows it will be nothing like that. Sonic's design is going to change one way or another, it's the only way a story like the one they're telling will work. And fans are going to hate it regardless of how well executed it is.

If this was a CG animated movie then it would be a completely different story.

So, I discovered this, when I found an article about the filming in Ladysmith.:

The movie’s plot is about a small town coming together to help the sheriff save Sonic – a blue anthropomorphic hedgehog that can reach the speed of sound – from the government chasing after him.

So, I'm assume that G.U.N. or the FBI are going to appear in this.

There's a reason why designs are always updated or changed for these big budget blockbuster adaptations.

There's a reason why Iron Man didn't look like this in the movie:

prcvlv4.jpg

Why the Ninja Turtles didn't look like this, not even the old films;

tnKo5w7.jpg

Why Captain America didn't look like this IadAdNs.jpg

It's the same reason Sonic is NOT going to look like this with the story they're trying to tell:

B5PSoAk.png

It is not going to work. You'll see. 

9 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

So, I discovered this, when I found an article about the filming in Ladysmith.:

So, I'm assume that G.U.N. or the FBI are going to appear in this.

Sounds about right. I guess this heavily implies that Sonic will indeed be extraterrestrial in origin within the universe of the movie.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Then the movie will be laughed out of theaters and it would easily become the next big meme of 2019 much like the Mummy did last year. This movie has to to sell itself to the general movie-going public who will make up 99.8% of the box-office gross. What will work for the fanbase will not work for ANYBODY else. The ONLY way Sonic looking like a cartoon character would work and not come off as a complete joke is if that was the intended effect with a self-refential slapstick comedy like Roger Rabbit or a parody that pokes fun at how ridiculous it is. And everything we've seen and heard from this movie so far shows it will be nothing like that. Sonic's design is going to change one way or another, it's the only way a story like the one they're telling will work. And fans are going to hate it regardless of how well executed it is.

If this was a CG animated movie then it would be a completely different story.

The Mummy failed because it was an action movie than an horror movie. Another reason why it’s failed is that it was released after an week Wonder Woman was released. Anyway, I think you can compare the upcoming Sonic movie to Dragonball Evolution than The Mummy. That movie was critically panned and it flopped real badly. It doesn’t feel like the anime. None of the characters in the movie look like just they were like in the anime. It was so awful, that the movie become an laughing stock. So, I don’t know what to say, but people will laugh at Sonic if he was redesigned. However, I will still hold out hope for the movie. 

I personally hope Sonic looks like his normal 3D/CGI self surrounded by humans. Like in the Progressive commercials with Flo. xDD

• Thumbs Up 3

39 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

The Mummy failed because it was an action movie than an horror movie. Another reason why it’s failed is that it was released after an week Wonder Woman was released. Anyway, I think you can compare the upcoming Sonic movie to Dragonball Evolution than The Mummy. That movie was critically panned and it flopped real badly. It doesn’t feel like the anime. None of the characters in the movie look like just they were like in the anime. It was so awful, that the movie become an laughing stock. So, I don’t know what to say, but people will laugh at Sonic if he was redesigned. However, I will still hold out hope for the movie. 

I'm not really talking about why it failed but more the way the movie became a meme after the first trailer was released. The Tom Cruise scream was laughably bad and then Universal fucked up even worse when they released the trailer with no sound. The same will happen to the Sonic movie if they release the first trailer and the synopsis is laid out as the Government trying to capture Sonic because he's an alien - and then in the next shot, we see Sonic and he looks like a cartoon character.  It would he embarrassingly hilarious.  The only ones who would buy into it and love it are the established fanbase. LOL I can literally imagine a chase sequence in my head with cartoon Sonic doing something "badass" in slow-mo ala Fast and Furious and people in the theater laughing because of how dumb it looks.

Nobody will laugh if he gets a badass design update. You know what people would laugh at, though? If the movie tries to tell any semblance of a serious story with Sonic looking like this:

iZlrJ6h.jpg

THAT'S what nobody would take seriously

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Then the movie will be laughed out of theaters and it would easily become the next big meme of 2019 much like the Mummy did last year.

The problem is though, if they use an uncanny valley, totally redesigned Sonic then the movie will still be laughed out of theatres - compare the reaction to the original TMNT movies (where they stuck fairly closely to the cartoon versions) with the overwhelmingly negative reaction the most recent TMNT movies got with their ugly CGI Turtles. The issue with making 'realistic' versions of Sonic is the same - they just look a bit creepy and wouldn't play well to a casual audience.

2 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Sounds about right. I guess this heavily implies that Sonic will indeed be extraterrestrial in origin within the universe of the movie.

See, that story - Sonic being a strange creature from another dimension - would allow for a regular looking Sonic to appear without harming suspension of disbelief. After all, the actual games themselves have him co-existing with semi-realistic humans, so it shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

• Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, Nestor said:

The problem is though, if they use an uncanny valley, totally redesigned Sonic then the movie will still be laughed out of theatres - compare the reaction to the original TMNT movies (where they stuck fairly closely to the cartoon versions) with the overwhelmingly negative reaction the most recent TMNT movies got with their ugly CGI Turtles. The issue with making 'realistic' versions of Sonic is the same - they just look a bit creepy and wouldn't play well to a casual audience.

This is simply not true. The first Bay TMNT movie was a box-office smash. Kids and adults alike ate it up. When it came out it had an 79% audience approval rating on Rotten omatoes and a "B" Cinemascore (That's slightly above average) It had a 65 million opening and beat Guardians of the Galaxy in it's first week. I took my little brother, my nephew and two of my friends to see the movie and they loved the fuck out of it. No kid was afraid of the life-like Turtles. The majority of the criticism of the designs was coming from angry hardcore fans and a couple of movie critics, NOT the general audience. Sonic looking more realistic would not turn the GA off, in fact it would attract people who would have otherwise not cared about it because of the assumed kiddie label a cartoon Sonic the Hedgehog automatically brands the movie with. Sonic looking like something that can exist in our world is part of the proccess of appealing to a wider audience to suspend their disbelief. Any serious scenes with Sonic looking as he does in the games would, quite simply, look stupid to most people outside of this fanbase. What would be going through their mind is "Am I suppose to take this seriously? This isn't suppose to be a joke?" It would not play well at all with the general audience unless the movie tried to be a Roger Rabbit or Space Jam. A serious plot like the Government wanting to capture Sonic - likely to dissect and experiment on him does not work on any feasible level with cartoon characters that looked like they walked off the set of Duck Tales: A Christmas Special.

44 minutes ago, Nestor said:

See, that story - Sonic being a strange creature from another dimension - would allow for a regular looking Sonic to appear without harming suspension of disbelief. After all, the actual games themselves have him co-existing with semi-realistic humans, so it shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Yes it would be. Alien/Creature or not, Sonic is still going to be interacting with REAL human beings. If a creature from another dimension came to our world, they would still have to abide by the basic laws of the universe, the basic laws of anatomy.. they would still look like they physically belong in our world. You wanna talk about how it makes it possible? Game Sonic would not only look hilariously fake (most people would call it bad CGI) but he would like he doesn't belong on the same plane of environment as everyone else. Don't you realize how hilariously bad this looks? iZlrJ6h.jpg

This is just basic filmmaking and understanding of the importance of suspension of disbelief. There's a reason why even movies like Smurfs, Yogi Bear and Alvin ALWAYS make the character look more realistic so the audience can digest the fact that they're interacting with REAL people. It's the same reason why Weta, ILM and even Blur studios (who are helping with the animation on this movie) always make the CG effects look realistic and look like something that exists in the real world. 

Unless the movie plays up the absurditity of the concept, it will be a joke. There's a reason why that Progressive commercial emphasizes the humor of an obvious CG Sonic looking for insurance. That's the JOKE. The absurdity of an obvious CG cartoon character doing something serious. The movie can not do this unless it's the running gag like Looney Toon movies with real actors and this movie is not that. Nor Sega or Paramount can afford to make the movie that way. Paramount is counting on this movie to spawn a new franchise and rebound from their slew of bombs and underperformers at the box-office - and Sega wants to bring in NEW fans (keyword, "New' That's the exact wording that was used) and turn Sonic into a global icon much like the Avengers and Transformers.  You cant do that with Sonic looking like Snoopy's adopted cousin.

6 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

I beg to differ. Here's my edit of that Bluecore Sonic pic above 6jnngx4.png

It's not perfect but you get the idea. Sonic doesn't have to look like a real animal to exist. Superman flying is not possible and the Iron Man suit is hundreds of years away from being created. It's not about whether omething is implausible in real life But whether you can make the audience suspend their disbelief and  BELIEVE in the concept. 

I take the 2006 design over this. Thanks.

5 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

This version for example is my favorite take on a more real Sonic yet and it encompasses everything I've been saying:

2rXdlqh.jpg

Now you can't tell this would not work wonderfully if brought into live action. This is the clasic design with more toned down proportions and an athletic build much like the heroes of Marvel. 

I do like this one. Thats not bad IMO.

It says it's an action adventure movie... and family, obviously. It doesn't sound like anything Alvin or Smurfs. It sounds more like the TMNT movie which I didn't watch because those things were hideous, I admit, but I have seen snippets of it. I... really don't want a realistic Sonic, it doesn't make sense, he is a cartoon hedgehog, even Iizuka said a photo-realistic Sonic wouldn't work, but he was talking about the games...

13 minutes ago, Jack the Maniac said:

It says it's an action adventure movie... and family, obviously. It doesn't sound like anything Alvin or Smurfs. It sounds more like the TMNT movie which I didn't watch because those things were hideous, I admit, but I have seen snippets of it. I... really don't want a realistic Sonic, it doesn't make sense, he is a cartoon hedgehog, even Iizuka said a photo-realistic Sonic wouldn't work, but he was talking about the games...

Lizuka will understand. He knows that this is nothing like the situation with the games. As long as Sonic is an anthropomorphic blue hedgehog with peach colored arms and belly with red buckle shoes, the iconography will not be lost. All I'm saying is taking cartoon Sonic and slapping him into the real world is not going to work for a myriad of reasons. It will not work for the type of film they want to make. 

...I'm not convinced that his standard model wouldn't fit a movie, even one like this. You keep saying people would joke about it and yeah, maybe, but not nearly to the extent as they will if there's a drastic--and bad--redesign.

Of course when it comes down to it obviously I'd rather they didn't go for the whole live action environments / humans thing in the first place but we're well past that, I guess. In fact I can't bring myself to care that much about this in general really...I didn't really want a Sonic movie in the first place so it's like, whatever. If it's bad, well that's another bad video game movie for ya.

• Thumbs Up 4

The standard 3D model would be perfect, just look at the Unleashed promotional short movie!

Best Sonic animation I've seen till now.

If Marza is involved, shouldn't Sonic look like Unleashed Sonic? I sure hope so...

Anyway, my pitch for the movie, check this out, it's from back when we didn't know anything about it:

11 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

The standard 3D model would be perfect, just look at the Unleashed promotional short movie!

Best Sonic animation I've seen till now.

....You mean the G-rated kids film that was completely CG animated with no real people? Everything this movie is not? Sigh... I don't think you guys are understanding the point I'm trying to get across here.. It's really frustrating. You need to get into the mindset of the causal person who is going to see the trailer for this movie during the previews of Avengers 4. Don't look at it from a fan point of view and you'll understand where I'm coming from.

• Thumbs Up 1

No, just put the Sonic from this short into the real movie with people and it will look good. They can make badass animations with Sonic in this model in real world. Look how they animate him in 06, Unleashed intro.

41 minutes ago, Celestia said:

...I'm not convinced that his standard model wouldn't fit a movie, even one like this. You keep saying people would joke about it and yeah, maybe, but not nearly to the extent as they will if there's a drastic--and bad--redesign.

Of course when it comes down to it obviously I'd rather they didn't go for the whole live action environments / humans thing in the first place but we're well past that, I guess. In fact I can't bring myself to care that much about this in general really...I didn't really want a Sonic movie in the first place so it's like, whatever. If it's bad, well that's another bad video game movie for ya.

That's like not being convinced of why Superman should not wear trunks or why Batman can't look like this in a live action movie that is not a comedy:

170610-crop-adam-west-batman-3-ew-1156a_

The answer is more than obvious.

12 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

No, just put the Sonic from this short into the real movie with people and it will look good. They can make badass animations with Sonic in this model in real world. Look how they animate him in 06, Unleashed intro.

Dude. I just made an entire fricking essay explaining how going this route would not look "badass" to anybody outside of this fandom..

6 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Dude. I just made an entire fricking essay explaining how going this route would not look "badass" to anybody outside of this fandom..

I don't agree.

Here are some official examples of mix of CGI/Real:

We need STYLE and APPEAL,

not useless over-detailing (although I find your art skills great, style is more important than details)

• Thumbs Up 3