Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

3 minutes ago, Razule said:

Yes, he's the main character. But is he the main FOCUS though? Classic dodging the question.

Yes. Transformers for example, the main character is not the Transformers rather it's Sam Witwicky. Tom will merely be a POV character like April in the 1990 TMNT or Rouge in the first X-Men film. We will see Sonic through his eyes but once that's out of the way, Sonic should take over as the main focus. Tom could merely be used as a vehicle to segue into Sonic's perspective.

• Thumbs Up 1

Any good picks for Sonic's VA (Since it likely won't be Craig-Smith) I think there are two ways they may go about casting Sonic. Really young actors like Tom Holland, Matt Lintz or Asa Butterfield or guys like Evan Peters or Aaron Taylor-Johnson. 

I actually Noel Fisher (Mikey from Bay Turtles) would be a really great Sonic.

3 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

If the movie design followed the image above, movie Sonic would essentially be the same design you love albeit with changes to fit the real world. I must say - I also grew up with Sonic CD/classic games and when this movie was first announced - I was bummed about it not being animated too until the writer came out of the shadows and started giving small tidbits about the movie. That's when I realized the potential of what this movie could be. That this could turn Sonic into a Blockbuster bemoth in vein of the Transformers or Avengers. That's why I'm excited for this take on the character, personally.

The first one definitely has that silhouette. 3 spikes with a circle shaped head and triangle shaped ears? That's the same exact thing. If this is about brand recognizability - If you made a poster with that design and had Sonic completely obscured only highlighting his shadow, his silhouette would be instantly recognizable as Sonic the Hedgehog. Everybody would know who it's suppose to be. And the Bay Turtles had a bunch of clutter and unnecessary items on them. But say you take all of it - their silhouette would look more like the Hunchback of Notre Dam rather than classic TMNT. Burton had the classic silhouette but the details on the suit were very different. I'd argue it was more of a deviation than the above Sonic design.

This is a non-issue. Different versions of the same brand can exist on the market at the same time and not cannibalize or undermine the other. Spider-Man is one of the biggest merchandising bemoths in the industry and there are two different versions (technically 3) on the merchandising market currently (the MCU version and the cartoon version, as well as the generic Spidey products not based on any particular medium) When I go into Target and go to the Toy aisle, I see several versions of Spider-Man on the shelf. Not to mention the cartoons and comics which are all different from one another. Same goes for Batman, Avengers and Superman. Transformers even more so. In addition to the movie figures which have completely different designs - there are SEVERAL different Transformers toylines currently ongoing.

Heck, we already kinda see this with Sonic. Modern Sonic, Classic Sonic and Boom Sonic all have merchandise and tie-ins being made for them individually. Movie Sonic would just be another version of the brand to add to the merchandising catalogue.

I won't argue with you on this point. Sonic was certainly not designed to fit into a realistic world. But that's why this is an "adaptation" of the franchise. Sonic unlike say, Mario or Crash Bandicoot lends itself to this type of story more than any other franchise that uses "animal-people". There are several forms of Sonic media and games where the story has a "BLOCKBUSTER, Cinematic" feel with a relatively serious story set on Earth with humans. And this movie is clearly not creating an entirely new concept that the Sonic franchise has not explored before. Maybe this shouldn't be an argument of whether the the direction the movie is going fits the franchise but rather a debate of whether choosing this type of storyline from games and comics that utilize it is the right form of Sonic media to adapt and I'd argue "Yes" because it's the most natural fit for a Blockbuster Sonic franchise.

I'll have to disagree on that design being a slight tweak of the design I prefer. It's a major departure in so many ways and the silhouette only maintains from one angle. Once you rotate the head even slightly further to profile the shape completely changes and is no longer a circle with four triangles. If you use the second example in silhouette I'm more likely to think Jon Talbain from Dark Stalkers then Sonic the Hedgehog. That's a difference that your Spider-man example cannot address since Spider-man from a design standpoint is usually just wearing different costumes, something he does in the comics with any real variation between him depending on which part of the Marvel Multiverse that you're dealing with. I appreciate the effort you've made though to convince me otherwise, but at this point I think my bias against converting things that truly exploit the hand drawn medium without any regard for any type of real world believe-ability may start to get in the way of us having a reasonable discussion. I'm afraid I might be turning into a bit of a stick in the mud and that's not fair to the points or arguments that your making. That said though, I do agree with you that you can't just drop Sonic as is into a live action movie without making any changes. To me that is where the problem fundamentally lies. I just can't see myself liking a realistic design as it has to eschew so much of the complete hand drawn impossibility that creates the character design I love. Impressionism to realistic only really works for me if there is some semblance of realism in the first place, and Sonic surely lacks it. I have to say that in the end it is just such a shame that unlike in Japan we can't accept animation as a blockbuster on a global scale as I would rather have Toei Animation dig up their CD designs and put their best artists, animators, writers, and directors on a movie project to blow me away. As you said before though, we can't always have what we want. In that regard, Paramount may have to accept that even though they want my money that they likely won't get it using Sonic. Besides, I already have expressed above on my dislike of the concepts of the movie beyond just being live action and the design changes that go with it. Nothing they've said has sold there claims or a blockbuster to me. Thanks again though for trying, it's just my stance at this point is probably to inflexible.

• Fist Bump 1

4 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

HAHA, told ya he would have a more realistic design!! There was NO WAY in hell Sonic was going to look like this in the movie LacekN6.png

Nobody besides the fanbase would have taken something like this seriously, guys. 

"A little more realistic." This could mean fur, or more spikes akin to Boom!Sonic. They gave absolutely no indication that it'd be the realistic you speak of.

Are you really going to latch onto every tiny little piece of information for your prediction to be validated? We don't even know what the statement means until we actually see the design itself. Chill out.

That aside, Sonic being a primary focus in the movie is reassuring, but I want to see for myself to be at ease.

• Thumbs Up 6

37 minutes ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

"A little more realistic." This could mean fur, or more spikes akin to Boom!Sonic. They gave absolutely no indication that it'd be the realistic you speak of.

What form of realism makes sense? What is this movie going to be? A animated movie or a live action, action adventure movie? My guess is based on common sense. Giving a cartoon hedgehog a couple more spikes does not constitute "realistic" in any sense of the word. There is nothing more realistic about this design than the standard Sonic model:maxresdefault.jpg

Are you really going to latch onto every tiny little piece of information for your prediction to be validated? We don't even know what the statement means until we actually see the design itself. Chill out.

When it's a direct confirmation to what I've been saying, yes. I could say the same about you. Even though it makes zero sense whatsoever to assume Patrick merely means adding more spikes to the current model ala Boom Is their answer to Sonic looking like a cartoon, you still play fast and loose with the terms of words to latch onto the possibility that Sonic will still look cartoony. If you wanna play the word game - we can get REALLY technical about this whole thing. A "new design" and "more realistic but still Sonic" can mean a hundred different things. Including a much more radical redesign like this that is still retains the core elements of the current model

ref_sheet__stripey_by_swirlything-d84srj

And it would still make more sense within the context of this movie and everything we know about it so far than the highly stylized, cartoon model from the games. Patrick confirmed, pretty straightforwardly that he won't look like game Sonic from the CG cutscenes OR Eddie Lebron's Sonic. 

That aside, Sonic being a primary focus in the movie is reassuring, but I want to see for myself to be at ease.

That's why it's never a good thing to judge a book by it's cover or rather in this case - judge a book based on limited information.

@Polkadi~♪ Patrick also said Sonic will have a "new design" before he added the still Sonic but more realistic. That adds another layer  to his statement and makes my hypothesis about an updated design (which will certainly be more than just 2 or 3 more spikes on Sonic's head lol) even more likely to be right. What does "new design" mean? I would argue classic Sonic to Modern/Dreamcast Sonic fits that criteria not a few more spikes. I mean you say I'm grasping at straws but come on, dude.

10 hours ago, SonicWind said:

Tails' Channel got to speak with one of the writers:

So, the writer confirmed that Sonic will be a bit more realistic. Well, that's sounds like just what Van say about Sonic's design in the movie, back in an few years ago. It doesn't mean he will get an complete realistic redesign. So, I guess that's good. Hopefully, that mean that they just put some realistic fur on him, just to fit in the realistic environments, like this one made by Blur. Just to let you guys know that Blur will be involved in the animation in the movie, so I can see his model look just like that.:

latest?cb=20100524085609

I know that they were going with an cheaper and comfortable place to filmed, just to play it safe. So, I guess they probably don't want to have trouble with the budget. So, if the movie is going to set in an small town, imagine, if they were still going to filmed in Atlanta, before they decided to moved filming to Vancouver. They probably might looked for some random rural town in Georgia like these for example.:

Spoiler

photos.medleyphoto.8221599.jpg

Washington_Georgia_storefronts_in_Commer

980x.jpg

1200px-Blue_Ridge_Georgia,_2013.JPG

But, now, it's going to be filmed in some random town in Canada called Ladysmith. According to the source, they did give out some details of what they are going to build for the film.:

As part of the Sonic the Hedgehog shoot, Bayview Framing is set to become the police station in the movie and the Top Drawer Consignment store next door will be transformed into a donut shop.

Maybe, Sonic will have some coffee and donuts with some cops? LOL.

Also, I found this. It just say that they didn't say what will the town will stand-in for. Maybe it will be called Station Square, just like Angel Grove in the Power Rangers movie?

It’s unclear what Ladysmith’s fictional town name will be in the movie or how the plot lands Sonic, a blue anthropormorphic hedgehog that can reach the speed of sound, here.

Source: https://www.ladysmithchronicle.com/news/paramount-budgets-7m-for-sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-shoot-in-hero-town-ladysmith/

So, I'm going to show you how Ladysmith look like in the other pictures. Take an look. I could imagine a big fight there of Sonic fighting Eggman's robots :

Spoiler

14615658552_9bb4e84018_c.jpg

14429802277_3aebc3e321_c.jpg

DSC_0477-1024x678.jpg

ladysmith_008.jpg

ladysmith-1.jpg

ladysmith_002.jpg

Iconic_streetscape_of_First_Avenue.jpg

downtown-parking.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

Reminds me of City Escape.  

Here's my fancast for the movie/franchise:

- Evan Peters/ Or Dylan O'Brien as Sonic Maurice Hedgehog (Quicksilver from X-Men and Thomas from Maze Runner)

- Judah Lewis as Miles Tails Prower 

- Karen Gillian as Amy Rose (Nebula and Ruby Roundhouse from Jumanji)

- Vin Diesel as Knuckles

- Bryan Cranston/ or John Goodman as Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik 

----------------------------------------

Fan cast for Sonic 2:

- Michael Pitt or Robert Pattinson as Shadow: The Ultimate Life Form (Kuze from Ghost in the Shell and Edward from Twilight)

- Andrew Garfield as Espio the Chameleon 

- Dwayne Johnson as Vector the Crocodile

- Kevin Hart as Charmy Bee

- Morena Baccarin as Rouge the Bat

---------------------------------------

Fan cast for Sonic 3 (which would be the darkest, most epic film of the trilogy)

- Logan Lerman as Silver the Hedgehog

- Britt Robertson as Blaze the Cat 

- Dark Gaia as main villain 

----------------------------------- 

So what do you guys think?

I hope they choose a good compromise, both for the design and the focus on Sonic. Fingers crossed.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

@Polkadi~♪ Patrick also said Sonic will have a "new design" before he added the still Sonic but more realistic. That adds another layer  to his statement and makes my hypothesis about an updated design (which will certainly be more than just 2 or 3 more spikes on Sonic's head lol) even more likely to be right. What does "new design" mean? I would argue classic Sonic to Modern/Dreamcast Sonic fits that criteria not a few more spikes. I mean you say I'm grasping at straws but come on, dude.

I'm not sure I entirely agree - you had suggested that Sonic would be significantly different with totally different body proportions and used a modified version of the Studio Blur fanfilm as an example, however the writer was asked whether it would be identical to the games or "will Sonic look weird and freaky like in that fan film" and replied that neither would be the case, and that the design would be "still Sonic but a little more realistic" (emphasis mine).

That means that whatever the new design is, it is less extreme than the 'weird and freaky' Studio Blur design, and only a little more realistic than the games, essentially a halfway house between game Sonic and Studio Blur Sonic; some of what you've suggested is rather more extreme than that, and this seems to confirm that such a drastic redesign will not be the case. I suspect that a 'little more realistic' will be a more textured surface, greater detail, and perhaps very slightly lengthened proportions (as you said, like classic to modern Sonic), rather than an extensive redesign.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hmm, Patrick is kinda implying that Sonic will look something like this:

ibivQoI.jpg

He's using the same terms I've been using too. Sonic should look like a creature that can actually exist in our world as oppsed to a cartoon.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

ibivQoI.jpg

He's using the same terms I've been using too. Sonic should look like a creature that can actually exist in our world as oppsed to a cartoon.

While we're at it, why not also include the health issues a living being with those proportions would have. You know, for the same of that extra realism? XP

Actually.. that doesn't look that bad imo! Cover up the skin near the feet that looks kind of weird, and connect the eyeball and I think it could work a bit better.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Razule said:

Actually.. that doesn't look that bad imo! Cover up the skin near the feet that looks kind of weird, and connect the eyeball and I think it could work a bit better.

I agree, that's certainly the best "redesign" I've seen by far. It communicates my issue with them using the cartoon model while at the same time - not deviating too far from the game design.

They're probably going in that direction.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

5 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

ibivQoI.jpg

Hmm, not bad. I see that he used the Smash Ultimate render as a reference for this.:

DfgbeR7WkAE-ghS.png

I think, I'm ok with that, as long as he is not too realistic. Anyway, Isn't the director of the movie is Tim's partner who work with him on cutscenes for Sonic 06 and Shadow the Hedgehog? He also worked at Tim's company, Blur Studio which is the company that made the Sonic 06 model. So, I hope he used all his skills to make the movie an decent, enjoyable, and watchable movie to watch. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm probably the only one who feels this way, but I honestly don't want Tails, Amy, Knuckles, etc. to show up in the 2019 Sonic movie. 

I feel that Sonic and Eggman are enough, at least for the first movie (since I've heard talk that they want to make a movie series, and in that case, the sequels would be a good place to add extra characters -- if they even CAN make sequels after they release the first one). 

Don't get me wrong; Sonic's friends are cool and I love them, too. But in this movie, I feel like they'd kinda... ruin it? In the limited amount of story information that we have so far, I just feel like they wouldn't fit in. Sonic somehow ends up on Earth, the government is chasing after him to capture/question/experiment on him, and he finds his way to a rural town at a time when he "desperately needs a friend" and steadily makes friends with the town's sheriff. 

There's something touching about an entire town coming together to try to help one person, especially when that one person is a little weird or different. 

And while we still don't know how Eggman fits into this story, I can't see a way in which Sonic's friends fit in and it still works. I feel like they would just be extra baggage to the movie -- a movie that is already going to have a hard time proving to the audience that an oversized, blue hedgehog who can run at the speed of sound can exist in our world. There just wouldn't be any place for their character arcs to comfortably fit into the story without being straight-up fan-service. 

Introducing Amy, Tails, Knuckles, etc. just... wouldn't work, I don't think. At least not for the first movie, which from what I can tell, may be an origin movie of sorts.

I know this movie is not going to do well at the box office. It already has so much skepticism surrounding it, even from it's fans. I'm so hyped for this movie, and although I want it to be amazing, I know that it most likely won't be. It's going to get so much hate, no matter what the producers decide to do. Every Sonic fan wants something different, it seems, and the producers aren't going to cater to every fan's individual needs. 

These are just my thoughts on the Sonic movie. I'm going to watch it no matter what, because I want to support the franchise and see it in theaters. 

I dunno. Everything about this movie sounds like everyone involved is making the absolute worst decisions imaginable. 

The way the synopsis puts it, it's basically "Sonic X: The Movie" but somehow Sonic X did this same concept better? If they're trying to establish this supposed Sonic Cinematic Universe as it's own thing separate from the comics and games,  then I guess maybe? But making it in the same style as those Alvin and the Chipmunks movies is a bafflingly awful idea. 

Could Sonic and Eggman really carry an entire movie on their own? Even with the human characters, how are they going to divvy out that focus? 

Even in the MCU's solo flicks, we see other characters or at least allude to them. And looking at the writer's resume...

Yikes. SUPER yikes. 

I'd rather we at least get Tails and see some of Sonic and Tails' brotherly bond grow.

what.JPG

• Thumbs Up 4

-This is one of SEGA bad habits shoving too many characters in one story and divide them into groups .some characters hold potential to carry story by their own , but they get limited as sidekicks and never used without being involved in team , which is why I hate this Sonic heroes concept . I want both Espio and Rouge to go by their own without being involved in team dark/Chaotix .

- There should be variety use of the cast with every story without following the same stereotype .

Actually given what we've heard about the movie, I'm more or less with you on this. What characters should show up isn't about fan service but about who would serve the story they're trying to tell, and from the sound of it it's not a story that would work if Sonic's got a bunch of his friends with him. It's not clear yet exactly what angle they're taking all of this, whether Sonic's been ripped from his world and sent to ours or if he's here naturally or whatever, but the point seems to be that he's alone at the start of this story, and that's not really working out for him. He "needs a friend", and that's why he ends up connecting with this cop and they get up to whatever else the story is about. And of course there's plenty of room to criticize that choice of story/arc, but taking it for what it is, that's a story that's only going to be made worse if Sonic's best buddy Tails is here too.

My third attempt. This time, I used the game model and worked from there. I didn't give Sonic an open smile because I'm not sure how to execute it properly and not make it come off creepy but you can see the outline of his mouth 

fPWz8wO.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe, he could look similar to like this, with some fluffy fur.:

PRsURFd.png

Not mine, but this guy created this.:

Source: https://old.reddit.com/r/SonicTheHedgehog/comments/8rn0lu/patrick_casey_sonic_movies_screenwriter_shares/e0t77h7/

1 hour ago, PeterPancake said:

My third attempt. This time, I used the game model and worked from there. I didn't give Sonic an open smile because I'm not sure how to execute it properly and not make it come off creepy but you can see the outline of his mouth 

fPWz8wO.png

Model looked ok, but what's that on his ear? 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Maybe, he could look similar to like this, with some fluffy fur.:

PRsURFd.png

Not mine, but this guy created this.:

Source: https://old.reddit.com/r/SonicTheHedgehog/comments/8rn0lu/patrick_casey_sonic_movies_screenwriter_shares/e0t77h7/

Model looked ok, but what's that on his ear? 

Idk, that looks like 1990s CG. 

It's an ear communicator piece made by Tails and the wrist band is made by Tails as a map for Sonic and a speed measure

The guy who made that Sonic design that Patrick Casey commented on made a blog article detailing the thought proccess behind each element of Sonic's new design;

http://aminoapps.com/p/430od1

Really great read.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Actually given what we've heard about the movie, I'm more or less with you on this. What characters should show up isn't about fan service but about who would serve the story they're trying to tell, and from the sound of it it's not a story that would work if Sonic's got a bunch of his friends with him. It's not clear yet exactly what angle they're taking all of this, whether Sonic's been ripped from his world and sent to ours or if he's here naturally or whatever, but the point seems to be that he's alone at the start of this story, and that's not really working out for him. He "needs a friend", and that's why he ends up connecting with this cop and they get up to whatever else the story is about. And of course there's plenty of room to criticize that choice of story/arc, but taking it for what it is, that's a story that's only going to be made worse if Sonic's best buddy Tails is here too.

Given how SLW's premise of Sonic and Eggman got underplayed by the forced addition of Tails, who was pretty much a third wheel, I think it's for the best that none of Sonic's friends show up since, regardless of what people think about the human cop character, they'd end up distracting the focus at worst, or end up as glorified cameos at best.

Personally I'd prefer them to be saved for when there is an actual Sonic movie that does stick to the source material, even if that were to be something unlikely.