Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

15 hours ago, DreamSaturn said:

I dunno. Everything about this movie sounds like everyone involved is making the absolute worst decisions imaginable. 

The way the synopsis puts it, it's basically "Sonic X: The Movie" but somehow Sonic X did this same concept better? If they're trying to establish this supposed Sonic Cinematic Universe as it's own thing separate from the comics and games,  then I guess maybe? But making it in the same style as those Alvin and the Chipmunks movies is a bafflingly awful idea. 

Could Sonic and Eggman really carry an entire movie on their own? Even with the human characters, how are they going to divvy out that focus? 

Even in the MCU's solo flicks, we see other characters or at least allude to them. And looking at the writer's resume...

Yikes. SUPER yikes. 

I'd rather we at least get Tails and see some of Sonic and Tails' brotherly bond grow.

what.JPG

The only way that I can see Sonic's friends appearing in the movie without cluttering it too much is if they end up captured at the beginning of the movie and only Sonic is able to escape, thus making him want to rescue them, which he undoubtedly would by the end. Even then, though, they don't really add much to the plot as characters. They'd just be a plot element and at that point, their inclusion would still border on fan-service. At best, they might leave room for sequels. 

• Fist Bump 1

3 minutes ago, Spooks said:

The only way that I can see Sonic's friends appearing in the movie without cluttering it too much is if they end up captured at the beginning of the movie and only Sonic is able to escape. Even then, though, they don't really add much to the plot as far as advancing the storyline through characterization. They'd just be a plot element and at that point still bordering on fan-service. At best, they might leave room for sequels. 

But what does Tom the Cop add? Sonic having a friend? Isn't that what, y'know, his actual friends are for? 

We don't even need to see everyone, Team Sonic and Eggman and maybe Metal Sonic could make a movie on their own (see: The OVA) but introducing a bunch of human characters is somehow a better alternative? 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/17/2018 at 1:22 PM, PeterPancake said:

He's using the same terms I've been using too. Sonic should look like a creature that can actually exist in our world as oppsed to a cartoon.

Not too familiar with the concept of uncanny valley I assume. Sigh, this is what I was afraid of.

Sonic's iconic design was made with the opposite intention of being realistic, and every attempt I've seen to layer realism over his cartoon frame has resulted in him looking like a horrible disgusting gremlin, its like trying to make water dry. The only way to pull off a "realistic" Sonic would be to completely re-do his design from scratch to accommodate it more, and at that point he wouldn't be sonic.

I don't see why we even need it, the idea of sonic existing in real life is so silly, he might as well just be a cartoon. It would honestly be easier to suspend disbelief for that than a 4 foot tall, grotesquely detailed man-hog. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Remember Sonic did appear in Ready Player One, although only for a few seconds. But he did seem to fit in to his surroundings. Now if he was around other humans and fit in around them I on't know because I didn't see it.

Now I can imagine Sonic still looking like Sonic with a little bit more fur texturing that I can deal with.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

Remember Sonic did appear in Ready Player One, although only for a few seconds. But he did seem to fit in to his surroundings. Now if he was around other humans and fit in around them I on't know because I didn't see it.

Now I can imagine Sonic still looking like Sonic with a little bit more fur texturing that I can deal with.

I’m going to say this again, isn’t the movie going to be directed by Tim’s partner Jeff Fowler? He did worked with Tim on cutscenes for Sonic 06 and Shadow the Hedgehog. He also worked at Blur Studio, which was the company that created the Sonic 06 model. So, I could see Sonic resemble closely like the 06 model.

Anyway, do you guys think there will some movie news announced at Comic-Con next month? I think there will be some.

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Anyway, do you guys think there will some movie news announced at Comic-Con next month? I think there will be some.

There's no doubt about it. There will be news at SDCC 2018. Sega has had a Sonic presence there for the past 2 or 3 years and I don't think they'll skip this year. Because this years and next years SDCC (along with next year's E3 2019) will be big times to market the film.

• Thumbs Up 1

Should definitely be some news on the Sonic movie at SDCC. As Blue Knight said - Sega has always had a presence there. Paramount too, so this should be the time to start getting people excited. 

Anyways, assuming Roger Craig Smith doesn't voice Sonic - who would be your choice for Sonic's VA? I've been supporting Evan Peters as Sonic since the movie was announced:

evan-peters-adult-world.jpg?quality=90&s

And Quicksilver's personality is very Sonic-like as is 

Wayy better fit than Roger's take imo. If I had my way, Jason Griffith would have never stopped voicing Sonic. He will always be my ideal Sonic. I just don't care for Roger's take at all.

48 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

If I had my way, Jason Griffith would have never stopped voicing Sonic. He will always be my ideal Sonic. I just don't care for Roger's take at all.

I hope in the film that Sonic is voiced by Jason Griffith because his voice felt like the perfect fit for Sonic,(especially in the CGI cutscenes from Sonic 2006, Secret Rings, Riders, Riders Zero Gravity, Sonic Unleashed and Sonic and the Black Knight) as well as Shadow. While I do like Roger's voice for Sonic, but he had to perfect Sonic over time and I think Boom helped with that and in turn helped the voice acting in Sonic Forces as most of the cast were with Boom since 2014. As long as Sonic is voiced by one of these 2 then I won't have any complaints in that department.

2 hours ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

I hope in the film that Sonic is voiced by Jason Griffith because his voice felt like the perfect fit for Sonic,(especially in the CGI cutscenes from Sonic 2006, Secret Rings, Riders, Riders Zero Gravity, Sonic Unleashed and Sonic and the Black Knight) as well as Shadow. While I do like Roger's voice for Sonic, but he had to perfect Sonic over time and I think Boom helped with that and in turn helped the voice acting in Sonic Forces as most of the cast were with Boom since 2014. As long as Sonic is voiced by one of these 2 then I won't have any complaints in that department.

I would love if they brought back Jason. It would be cool if the movie was his big comeback as Sonic to replace Roger but that's unlikely to happen unfortunately. I think it would even be cool if they brought back Jaleel White ala Bay bringing back Peter Cullen to voice Optimus Prime in the first Transformers movie. That would be a nice nod to classic Sonic and the old DIC cartoons. 

But please don't bring back Roger.  One of the most exciting prospects of this movie is no Roger Sonic. There is just something off and "forced" about his take on Sonic. It sounds like someone trying their best to do their impression of what Sonic sounds like as opposed to the real Sonic - if you will. Maybe it's because his natural voice is completely different from his Sonic one. I always hear Ezio and Batman. He's a better fit for someone like Shadow or even Knuckles. 

So many actors in Hollywood that are more marketable names that fit Sonic wayyy more than Roger imo - Evan Peters,  Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Dylan O'Brien, Noel Fisher, Jacob Latimore, Ezra Miller, Zac Efron etc so many that are great fits for Sonic.

I don't like most of the current voice cast to be completely honest - with the exception of Knuckles and Shadow. I liked Kate Higgins as Tails but she got replaced by the Boom actress. I hope Tails is voiced by a young boy in the movie and instead of replacing him In future films, they actually let the kid grow up and Tails grow up alongside his voice actor. Show him going from a young kid hiding behind Sonic's shadow to an independent teenager who is becoming his own. That should be Tails' character arc for the first trilogy.

16 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

Given how SLW's premise of Sonic and Eggman got underplayed by the forced addition of Tails, who was pretty much a third wheel, I think it's for the best that none of Sonic's friends show up since, regardless of what people think about the human cop character, they'd end up distracting the focus at worst, or end up as glorified cameos at best.

Personally I'd prefer them to be saved for when there is an actual Sonic movie that does stick to the source material, even if that were to be something unlikely.

I don't think they'll use Roger or Griffith. 

21 hours ago, DreamSaturn said:

But what does Tom the Cop add? Sonic having a friend? Isn't that what, y'know, his actual friends are for? 

We don't even need to see everyone, Team Sonic and Eggman and maybe Metal Sonic could make a movie on their own (see: The OVA) but introducing a bunch of human characters is somehow a better alternative? 

You have to remember who the intended audience is. Paramount and SEGA are not trying to cater to already-existing fans. They have our support already. They're looking to broaden the fanbase while also reviving it. They're trying to pander to a whole different set of people, and if they make a movie that looks and feels just like the video games, it's going to get written off by everyone except us Sonic fans as a kid's movie. 

Adding in human characters helps the audience to relate a little better, and it puts it in our world, too. I know some people reeeaallly dislike that, but like I said, this is a big-budget Hollywood action/drama movie. There's a whole different set of standards there that cannot be compared to a two-part animated movie from the 90's or a video game. 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

39 minutes ago, Spooks said:

You have to remember who the intended audience is. Paramount and SEGA are not trying to cater to already-existing fans. They have our support already. They're looking to broaden the fanbase while also reviving it. They're trying to pander to a whole different set of people, and if they make a movie that looks and feels just like the video games, it's going to get written off by everyone except us Sonic fans as a kid's movie. 

Adding in human characters helps the audience to relate a little better, and it puts it in our world, too. I know some people reeeaallly dislike that, but like I said, this is a big-budget Hollywood action/drama movie. There's a whole different set of standards there that cannot be compared to a two-part animated movie from the 90's or a video game. 

This. Finally, somebody understands the bigger picture here. 

28 minutes ago, Spooks said:

If the general reaction I've seen from fans is anything to go by, then, no, they don't have our support. Most of what I've seen among my friend group and among people in general, mostly everyone thinks it's gonna suck.

It's not even like you need human characters when animal/anthro characters to tell an engaging story, either. Disney, for instance, has The Lion King and that doesn't have any humans at all. To go off on a bit of a tangent, isn't this just part of a larger Hollywood issue? That they're not willing to take any risks? Why are we assuming that people NEED humans to connect and relate too, as opposed to just well written characters? Star Wars doesn't take place in our world and that's still one of the most popular films of all time.

• Thumbs Up 4

9 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

Star Wars doesn't take place in our world and that's still one of the most popular films of all time.

Bad ex., Star Wars is still primarily about humans.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Razule said:

Bad ex., Star Wars is still primarily about humans.

How about Guardians of the Galaxy, then? Star Lord is the only human in sight in those movies.

2 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

If the general reaction I've seen from fans is anything to go by, then, no, they don't have our support. Most of what I've seen among my friend group and among people in general, mostly everyone thinks it's gonna suck.

Mostly everyone doesn't even know this movie exists yet. What a few people think about it on Facebook or Twitter is not the general consensus.. It's wayy too early, marketing hasn't even begun at all..And even if it was, their tune could completely change if Paramount releases a badass trailer. That's how these things work.

Sonic fans have been against this movie since day and many still will be even if it's the best movie ever. 

It's not even like you need human characters when animal/anthro characters to tell an engaging story, either. Disney, for instance, has The Lion King and that doesn't have any humans at all. To go off on a bit of a tangent, isn't this just part of a larger Hollywood issue? That they're not willing to take any risks? Why are we assuming that people NEED humans to connect and relate too, as opposed to just well written characters? Star Wars doesn't take place in our world and that's still one of the most popular films of all time.

Because the Lion King is traditionally animated movie, it is not live action nor is It a PG-13 action adventure in vein of GOTG and Fast and Furious. Why do you think the news of a live action Lion King made so many people confused? Almost everyone wanted to know how the hell it was going to work with realistic animals and no people. But Disney had the benefit of the doubt because.... well, it's Disney. Everyone else does not have that benefit - at least not yet.

And Star Wars is a terrible example to use because ALL of the main characters are human beings. They are all the POV characters for the audience - you don't see Star Wars focusing on Yoda, Jabba the Hut or any of the other alien characters. They focused on Luke Skywalker,  Hans Solo and Princess Leia. All humans beings.

How about Guardians of the Galaxy, then? Star Lord is the only human in sight in those movies.

Star Lord - a human, is the *Main character. James Gunn has said time and time again that the audience sees the world of GOTG through his eyes because he's the only "human" in the entire universe (although this is kinda untrue because the Nova Corp have humans too) 

1 minute ago, PeterPancake said:

Mostly everyone doesn't even know this movie exists yet. What a few people think about it on Facebook or Twitter is not the general consensus.. It's wayy too early, marketing hasn't even begun at all..And even if it was, their tune could completely change if Paramount releases a badass trailer. That's how these things work.

Sonic fans have been against this movie since day and many still will be even if it's the best movie ever. 

Sonic fans do, and I've seen nothing but ire against it. It's not JUST on Facebook or Twitter. I also find it hard to believe that "most people don't know it exists" when we have big sites like comicbook.com reporting on it. 

3 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Because the Lion King is traditionally animated movie, it is not live action nor is It a PG-13 action adventure in vein of GOTG and Fast and Furious. Why do you think the news of a live action Lion King made so many people confused? Almost everyone wanted to know how the hell it was going to work with realistic animals and no people. But Disney had the benefit of the doubt because.... well, it's Disney. Everyone else does not have that benefit - at least not yet.

And Star Wars is a terrible example to use because ALL of the main characters are human beings. They are all the POV characters for the audience - you don't see Star Wars focusing on Yoda, Jabba the Hut or any of the other alien characters. They focused on Luke Skywalker,  Hans Solo and Princess Leia. All humans beings.

And Sonic is a cartoony, animated character in a cartoonish world populated by cartoon characters, with Eggman being the only human in that world (apparently if Forces is a thing), much like how Star Lord is the only human in GotG but thanks to the MCU that's now one of Marvel's more popular properties. Aliens and all, hardly any humans in sight. 

With mostly aliens surrounding them, yes. And I've given you the example of GotG.

11 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

Sonic fans do, and I've seen nothing but ire against it. It's not JUST on Facebook or Twitter. I also find it hard to believe that "most people don't know it exists" when we have big sites like comicbook.com reporting on it. 

Sonic fans will make up 00.1% of the box-office gross for this movie compared to the general audience. Even if they hate what they're hearing - that does not mean everyone else is going to feel the same way. Especially people outside of this fanbase.

Come on, dude. Most people don't go to Comic Book Movie for news on these types of things.  Most of the GA is not that invested into this kind stuff, us nerds (comic book fans included) are a small minority. These adaptions are not being made specifically for us - they are made for a wider audience.

And Sonic is a cartoony, animated character in a cartoonish world populated by cartoon characters, with Eggman being the only human in that world (apparently if Forces is a thing), much like how Star Lord is the only human in GotG but thanks to the MCU that's now one of Marvel's more popular properties. Aliens and all, hardly any humans in sight. 

With mostly aliens surrounding them, yes. And I've given you the example of GotG.

Even if we used the GOTG analogy - Tom would still be a major character because Peter Quill is the only human being and he's the POV for the audience. Why is he the main character? Because the audience (human beings) can relate to him better than all of the aliens. His story (a kid taken from Earth by aliens) is something people can empathize and relate to people because we'd feel the same way. Why do you think Drax or Rocket aren't the POV? Why haven't we been shown Drax's family or Rocket being turned into a mutant? Because theese two characters are too alien for the audience and for the story they're telling.

Now, I'm not saying Tom will be the main character but he's going to be a big part of the movie and everyone knew this was going to happen for reasons already stated. It's a necessary evil for a live action Sonic movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

Surrounded by three technicolor humans plus two CGI creatures.

Just now, Razule said:

Surrounded by three technicolor humans plus two CGI creatures.

That are aliens all the same and GotG Vol. 2 and Infinity War set up Rocket as the main. 

18 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Because the Lion King is traditionally animated movie, it is not live action nor is It a PG-13 action adventure in vein of GOTG and Fast and Furious.

Which, I hope you understand, is one of the fundamental reasons why people are opposing this movie; the very medium it is being executed in is being rejected.  The flaw was there from the very start.  People aren't objecting to humans while embracing live-action; the two are inextricably bound up in this project.  Hence why so many people correctly anticipated and consequently abandoned this movie from the beginning.

1 minute ago, PeterPancake said:

Sonic fans will make up 00.1% of the box-office gross for this movie compared to the general audience. Even if they hate what they're hearing - that does not mean everyone else is going to feel the same way. Especially people outside of this fanbase.

[...]

Come on, dude. Most people don't go to Comic Book Movie for news on these types of things.  Most of the GA is not that invested into this kind stuff, us nerds (comic book fans included) are a small minority. These adaptions are not being made specifically for us - they are made for a wider audience.

And this is the other reason why people reject this movie and others along its lines.  If you change the product completely, it is not "Sonic," it is just something that bears the same name for no purpose except money.  This is a movie which has no reason to exist except to make money; nobody involved with it has any interest or confidence in the actual franchise, and hence they are inventing a wholly different franchise.  Detractors on this forum, by contrast, have entirely different standards; they aren't evaluating the quality of this movie purely according to whether or not it makes money.  They're interested in a movie about the Sonic they know, and won't be drawn to a movie which happens to be called Sonic but bears no resemblance, no matter how much money it makes.  You understand this, just as the film's detractors already understand exactly why this film is the way it is; and as such I fail to understand the purpose of this discussion.

• Thumbs Up 3

19 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Sonic fans will make up 00.1% of the box-office gross for this movie compared to the general audience.

Why do you think people will be so interested in a live-action Sonic the Hedgehog movie though?

• Thumbs Up 2