Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

46 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Apparently, the movie had been pushed up an week early.:

Thats a bad sign.  Movies pushed earlier means a rushed production.

I mean, a week earlier isn't that much of a bump, granted. Not that I have much hope for this movie in the first place, but a week's shave is nothing to really write home about.

• Nice Smile 1

Eesh...that's a fair point. Hopefully that isn't the case, though. Maybe they're more confident in it, lol (I doubt that sincerely but let me fool myself a bit longer).

• Nice Smile 1

... That is the opposite of not being confident. They believe Sonic can stand toe to toe with Mulan and Bond. 

I highly doubt that. I think you might be missing the point, lol. It's that Bond and Mulan are easily going to be gigantic hits regardless, so more people are likely to go to theaters and see that on that weekend than a Sonic movie. Thereby less people will see it. Thereby less bad publicity if it's bad.

• Thumbs Up 3

14 minutes ago, NezumiVA said:

I highly doubt that. I think you might be missing the point, lol. It's that Bond and Mulan are easily going to be gigantic hits regardless, so more people are likely to go to theaters and see that on that weekend than a Sonic movie. Thereby less people will see it. Thereby less bad publicity if it's bad.

Several Paramount movies changed release dates today including Tom Cruise's Top Gun which now has to compete with Men and Black and Toy Story 4. Does that mean Paramount has no confidence in that movie too? No. That's not how these things work. If the Studio were truly worried about the movie, they would dump Sonic into a dead month like January where bad movies go to fade away or constantly push the release from any competition like Lionsgate did with King Arthur last year. Not lessen their chances of making any money off of a movie they *know is going to be bad. This shows that they believe that the movie can go toe to toe with other blockbuster films and they are not worrying about Sonic's chances 

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't understand why Paramount would do this. Sonic would've fared MUCH better in its original release slot. It only had to compete with some Melissa MacCarthy Christmas flick (which, let's be honest, is probably going to tank regardless of its competition) it was a slam-dunk for the Sonic movie to take the #1 spot.

Now Sonic (which has a meager budget of only $90 million, that's $40 million LESS than a SMURFS movie) has to go against freaking JAMES BOND and the marketing JUGGERNAUT that is Disney.

(Good Morning America will promote Mulan, Jimmy Kimmel Live will have guests promoting Mulan, Kelly & Ryan will have guests promoting Mulan, Ellen will have guests promoting Mulan, there will be lots of primetime TV spots for Mulan during ABC sitcoms, Freeform will probably air the original animated film to help market it, Disney Channel will be promoting the film too, and the merchandise. Oh! And what if Disney gets some popular singer to do a single for the film's soundtrack, like John Legend did for Beauty & the Beast?)

Sonic, with its limited budget, will probably get a few TV spots on Nickelodeon. Maybe Carrey will show up on Fallon to promote it. (We can hope Carrey will host SNL the week of Sonic's release) 

Idk. Video game movies generally do not fare well, (The President of Paramount was hesitant to even pick up the film rights for this. Neal Moritz practically begged him for the greenlight) with the negative reputation of the Sonic brand right now, going against James Bond & a Disney movie is a VERY poor business strategy.

(Breathes into paper bag)

I'M FREAKING OUT HERE, GUYS

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

Fingers crossed. But Sonic still has Mulan to deal with.

If they bring back that McDonald's sauce, we're screwed.

16 minutes ago, Myst said:

I don't understand why Paramount would do this. Sonic would've fared MUCH better in its original release slot. It only had to compete with some Melissa MaCarthy Christmas flick (which, let's be honest, is probably going to tank regardless of its competition) it was a slam-dunk for the Sonic movie to take the #1 spot.

Now Sonic (which has a meager budget of only $90 million, that's $40 million LESS than a SMURFS movie) has to go against freaking JAMES BOND and the marketing JUGGERNAUT that is Disney.

(Good Morning America will promote Mulan, Jimmy Kimmel Live will have guests promoting Mulan, Kelly & Ryan will have guests promoting Mulan, Ellen will have guests promoting Mulan, there will be lots of primetime TV spots for Mulan during ABC sitcoms, Freeform will probably air the original animated film to help market it, Disney Channel will be promoting the film too..)

And Sonic, with itslimited budget, will probably get a few TV spots on Nickelodeon. Maybe Carrey will show up on Fallon. (We can hope Carrey will host SNL the week of Sonic's release) 

Idk. Video game movies generally do not fare well, and with the negative reputation of the Sonic brand right now, going against James Bond & a Disney movie is a VERY poor business strategy.

The release date can always change again. And it wasn't just Sonic that moved, several other Paramount movies changed slots as well. Paramount probably feels confident in their product to be putting it out in such a packed month either way. 

And what makes you think Sonic won't get the same level of promotion? I mean a few TV spots on Nickelodeon? Ummm, The reported 90 million dollar budget does not include the marketing budget.. Most studios typically spend 30 million dollars or more on the marketing campaign alone. I guarantee you- we will see licensed merchandise (backpacks, Halloween costumes, lunch boxes) for the movie, restaurant sponsors (probably from Sonic) and actors appearing on talk shows like Kimmel, Ellen (whom Marsden and Carrey have appeared on before) etc. The movie should have a lot of promotion. Paramount is no slouch when it comes to marketing if their past franchises are anything to go by 

• Thumbs Up 1

Im honestly not concerned with Bond or Mulan.  The live action Beauty and Beast had so much hype and it flopped!   As for Bond, the last couple movies were mediocre at best while SPECTRE was a step in the right direction.  The last Terminator movie was a disaster, even though James Cameron praised it.  Just saying that blockbuster franchises can fail...lets just hope Sonic doesnt it =P

• Nice Smile 1

Before we panic about mulan are we sure the date is accurate? Everywhere else seems to say march 2020.

1 hour ago, CaptainRobo said:

Bond 25 could be delayed, which could probably be good for the Sonic movie.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/james-bond-25-miss-november-2019-release-date-1137104

I hope so that's less competition for Sonic, and the Sonic series and Sega needs this film to possibly bring the series back to it's highpoint it had before with the Genesis era, Colors and Generations, also Mania.

1 hour ago, Rabid-Coot said:

Before we panic about mulan are we sure the date is accurate? Everywhere else seems to say march 2020.

March 2020? That would be nice. Maybe MovieWeb is wrong..

Yeah, just checked Mulan's wiki page. Apparently it WAS going to release in November, but was pushed to March 2020.

So if Bond is delayed too then maybe Sonic has a chance at box office success!

We'll have to see, I suppose. I still don't think moving a movie back in release date signifies confidence in the product (that's a pretty big leap of logic against the conversing point) but I'll at least agree that it doesn't necessarily mean they don't believe in it either. I just don't see anyone at Paramount really saying to themselves Yeah this Sonic Movie could totally go toe-to-toe with the Bond franchise, like...lmao dream as you will but...

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Myst said:

Yeah, just checked Mulan's wiki page. Apparently it WAS going to release in November, but was pushed to March 2020.

So if Bond is delayed too then maybe Sonic has a chance at box office success!

Mulan was originally supposed to released this November, but it was delayed to 2020, because they need more time to work on it. They just recently start filming.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm, tough break for the Mulan film actually. That original time-slot would have been gravy to ride the wave of the Lion King live action movie - which is probably going to end up as the most anticipated and successful of all the live action flicks Disney currently is slated to make.

The Bond thing doesn't exactly worry me though. Its not exactly the same intended audience there, so direct competition should be minimal. It'd probably claim the number 1 box office slot comfortably, but it shouldn't impact the bottom line of a Sonic movie much. How many kids are running out to see old man Bond #15?

That bodes well for Sonic then. No competition besides Bond and the demographic for Bond will be different from Sonic anyway

• Thumbs Up 1

If Sonic goes against Bond, then Sonic will be the clear choice.

Think about it. Family movies generally tend to do better. Bond is usually friendly for all audiences but is more adult oriented and generally doesn't intrigue kids as much. 

Sonic will do gangbusters with kids who will ask their parents to take them to see the movie. So while the fear of a rushed production is definitely understandable even though CG in film making is incredibly quick to do these days because of the training and expertise and practiced skill that went into crafting effects the CG artists may have a fairly easy time especially with a character as iconic as Sonic. 

I'm still kind of also rooting for this to be the big shocking video game movie that's actually the first great video game movie too. It would be hilarious for people to say that Sonic the Hedgehog got an awesome film adaptation. I mean, crazy things happen, right? An animated film would have been great and preferable but they can make this work. I mean, they're going for a clear cut kind of Sonic Adventure vibe but more playful. This could actually work. 

• Thumbs Up 1