Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

I don't know about Knuckles (because of Angel Island, Master Emerald & stuff) but maybe we could see Tails and Amy in small roles in this movie.

I gotta be honest, I'm really loving the aesthetic of this town. Like, I know we're gonna have some big city scenes... But I'd prefer if most of the movie took place here.

Something about Sonic running around in rural areas is way more appealing to me than urban streets. It's one of the few things I liked from Sonic X's "running away" arc.

• Thumbs Up 3

22 hours ago, Tarnish said:

Gotta love how reading about all this never makes me feel like they are filming a Sonic movie. I get zero Sonic vibes from everything that has been revealed so far, but hey..how bad can another disaster to the franchise actually be?

As excited as I am for this movie, I know what you mean. Using San Fransico instead of a well known location from a Sonic game (Station Square, Empire City, Star Light, Speed Highway, Westopolis) was a real missed oppourtunity.

We haven't seen any red biplane on set. Nobody with a 'G.U.N' logo on their uniform. And the car chase is with a blue pickup truck. (Total missed oppourtunity to include the semi truck from 'City Escape')

They're still filming though, so let's not panic just yet.. We'll just have to wait and see.

It would be awesome if Eggman shows up driving THIS in the car chase though..

hqdefault.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Look closely at the front door of the police station. This confirms his first name is indeed 'Tom' in the movie. (Until this point all we've known is his last name is 'Wachowski'. The name Tom was just rumored)

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1

53 minutes ago, Myst said:

As excited as I am for this movie, I know what you mean. Using San Fransisco instead of a well known location from a Sonic game (Station Square, Empire City, Star Light, Speed Highway, Westopolis) was a real missed opportunity.

Is the whole movie being filmed in Canada?  I couldve sworn there were other filming locations.  New York City and San Francisco.

Vancouver is being used as San Fransisco in the film. Ladysmith is being used as Green Hills, Montana. 

They are supposedly filming in New York too, but I don't know if it's been confirmed or if that was simply misinformation.

It was mentioned on a local Canadian news site, but nothing reputable like the Hollywood Reporter or Variety, so I would classify that as a rumor.

Here's Sonic running through the streets of San Francisco, while getting chased by SFPD.

BTW, there were more set photos that I discovered in the post by the guy, Glen O' Neill.

• Thumbs Up 4

Happy Birthday Alexios!

And yeah, these small towns give a warming vibe, it's really cool and... unexpected, but in a positive way I think, I don't know, we'll see, but the excitement from people is really nice to see. Obviously the movie also needs highways for Sonic to run, but if they manage to incorporate multiple things it's gonna be interesting...

• Thumbs Up 3

8 hours ago, I Love Sticks said:

Happy Birthday Alexios!

And yeah, these small towns give a warming vibe, it's really cool and... unexpected, but in a positive way I think, I don't know, we'll see, but the excitement from people is really nice to see. Obviously the movie also needs highways for Sonic to run, but if they manage to incorporate multiple things it's gonna be interesting...

Thank you so much!

I know it’s hard to see but what I noticed in this picture is that the light blue Malibu had an blue Montana license plate, while the silver RAV4 had an California license plate. I screencap the picture of the light blue Malibu from the other video that I posted on my other post.

3EEA7554-81D3-4119-A1A9-72A96DAC41DD.jpeg.de9b5c42796f69630f24bdcc14265bbb.jpegB1710BAE-E597-473A-A902-9BAFEB0D60A3.jpeg.7b94021796c68778c4e1a5b7d6752bc3.jpeg

52D55A7F-7D44-447F-B69B-7206665A5B83.thumb.jpeg.c876a8d383af93689fa0ba150e96c8c8.jpeg771A31A0-EDD3-4271-B5F8-780AE41AFABB.png.0227a9928246237a9a10cc9e7b65fbbe.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Found an interesting podcast interview with Van about the development of the movie with Sony before it got moved to Paramount. They started talking about the movie at like 44:49.:

• Thumbs Up 3

Those first 2 minutes are Wtf. There is a lot of interesting information in that movie. Here are the highlights

- Jeff Fowler was attached to direct as far back as when the project was still at Sony

- The reason why Sony didn't make the movie is because of the 2014 hack and a lot of the new exacs that were brought on to the project didn't like the direction the movie was taking. 

- Neal Moretz when to Paramount and asked them to buy the movie rights from Sony

- Sega and Van clashed over Robotnik's name. Van wanted him to be named Dr. Robotnik as it would easier for American audiences to swallow and Sega wanted him to be Eggman. Van being a writer had little weight with the decision but Van seems to have got his wish because of Jeff Fowler.

- Van clashed with an unnamed Sony exec (likely Amy Pascal) 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, PeterPancake said:

- Sega and Van clashed over Robotnik's name. Van wanted him to be named Dr. Robotnik as it would easier for American audiences to swallow and Sega wanted him to be Eggman.

It's been 20 years, how long does it have to be used to make it "easier to swallow"

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Razule said:

It's been 20 years, how long does it have to be used to make it "easier to swallow"

Look at from a general fan perspective like Van, the name isn't intimidating at all. Robotnik sounds much more threatening and easier to market to a wider audience than "Dr. Eggman" 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Highlights from the Josh Miller interview:

- Patrick and Josh wanted to find a way to have both the Robotnik name and the Eggman name in the movie. They struggled to find a way to have the "Eggman" name make sense, so there will probably be an in universe reason why he has that name.

- The movie will be nothing like the Smurfs or Alvin and the Chipmunks

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1