Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Seeing Detective Pikachu here, the CGI part was done by MPC and Framestore (Who done CGI for Avengers: Infinity War)
But the CGI team that we know to work on Sonic Movie is Blur Studio and Marza Animation Planet, which famous at making "Game cinematics and cutscene".

That makes me wonder how our Blur Studio and Marza Animation Planet can handle Live-Action+CGI scene?

...Until I saw this clip, VFX Breakdown of Thor: The Dark World by Blur Studio.

That gives me some hope to know that Blur Studio can do Live-Action+CGI scene...and doing it pretty well.
Marza can be a big hand about a character design and animating our blue boy.

Now the only worry is the character design and story. Iizuka, please...You do supervise the film, help them not to make our Sonic design looks bad to us.
(Actually, Iizuka is the guy who stops Big Red Button to messed up Sonic design and become our Boom Sonic today.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Lizuka won't let them drastically change Sonic. The problem with the fanbase is they freak over ANY change to his design as we saw with Boom. And that's why they're gonna hate movie Sonic. But I hope the reaction is closer to Pokemon. People who don't lose their shit over any little change will be okay. Sonic will look like your Sonic, he just won't look like Roger Rabbit. It's not the end of the world 

• Thumbs Up 2

This has me a little more concerned about how live action Sonic will look. Pikachu is reasonably close to looking like a real animal, something that you could point to real life equivalents for the bulk of the design. Some of the other designs while acurate to the source material do make me worry about how something of Sonics proportions will translate across especially considering its a lead character and not  cameo or supporting character that would have less screen time.

• Thumbs Up 1

As I said elsewhere, for the most part most of the Pokémon that are more similar to real life animals in the first place don't bother me in the least when look at the Pokémon trailer. My problem is that Sonic is not realistic in any aspect of his design. His design is so strongly abstract that the only reason we call him a hedgehog is because his creators did. Beyond that there is nothing anatomically speaking about Sonic's abstract design that can be converted. No matter how much good intention is implied I expect Sonic's design is going to disappoint, from likely misunderstanding how a hedgehog's and no less Sonic's quills are, to the design simply failing due being to abstract to work in a real life setting or being to realistic to be properly recognizable as the 27yo and still globally recognized design that was designed in a fun and abstract way to begin with. I keep seeing Roger Rabbit used as what Sonic should not look like, and while I agree, if Roger Rabbit were to be redone to be made to look realistic he is still based heavily off of a jackrabbit which would make converting him to a realistic look easy. But Sonic... I can't see it. After all this is Sonic

Niestandardowe-p-tno-dekoracje-cienne-su9cbb23f72b05dfe9d2ed9311e809d87b5d873150

and this is a hedgehog

hedgehog.jpg.653x0_q80_crop-smart.jpgcute-hedgehog-photos-fb6.png57581297e4b06384a374e0fc_1280x720_F_v1.j

The comparison is non existent, which is not surprising since Sonic being a hedgehog was more of a gameplay decision and the design being appealing to those it was presented to. Still, I'm not trying to bash anyone's hopes, but at the very least I don't think the Pokémon movie is a good source of hope as a good deal of the more abstract Pokémon just don't look agreeable in comparison to those that are more similar to real life animals in physical structure. As Sonic, as I said above, is even more abstract than most Pokémon shown in the trailer I can't see Sonic reaching an agreeable middle ground. To me he will either look too out of place or too far removed from his iconic design. I'll love to be pleasantly surprised, but at best I'm expecting some uncanny valley levels of discomfort from whatever the final design is. Sonic's freedom of cartoon design just does not translate to real life and is one of the reasons I was not fond of a live action movie as an idea to begin with regardless of market demographics and statistics. Still, I haven't seen anything yet so I can't say anything yet either regarding the design beyond that I don't think Pokémon design are abstract enough in the right areas to give us an idea as to what to expect with Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 2

IMO, the Pokémon look fucking GREAT! If anyone describes those designs as "nightmare inducing" they must have some tame nightmares lol. I will be very happy if Sonic and the gang get the same treatment.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 3

On 11/12/2018 at 12:26 PM, Dr. Detective Mike said:

...Uhh... y-yeah I... that trailer uh...

Okay.

I mean... I guess Pikachu, when you have the right angle on him, doesn't look as hideous as he does in some of the other shots in that trailer. It's actually possible to take a still screenshot of him in there that looks cute at least. 

Uhm...

What the fuck is happening in the world right now? Wh-Why...? Why is this...? I just... don't...

See also, Christopher Robin.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Dr Ryan said:

IMO, the Pokémon look fucking GREAT! If anyone describes those designs as "nightmare inducing" they must have some tame nightmares lol. I will be very happy if Sonic and the gang get the same treatment.

They look amazing. We'll be lucky if Sonic looks as good as them

• Thumbs Up 7

15 hours ago, Dr Ryan said:

I don't personally think they look great, but that is partly due to some personal preferences such as feeling like Pikachu should be a short haired rodent and Jigglypuff being rather hard to describe. That said, I don't think most of them look bad, but that has more to do with a good deal of Pokémon already having some kind of realistic base with the more abstract Pokémon lacking traits that would make them harder to swallow. It's why I don't find this particular movie a good comparison to use for Sonic as Sonic's design is significantly more abstract than any animal like Pokémon.

You know it's an coincidence that they actually filmed some of the scenes there in SF. Sega of America used to have their HQ in San Francisco, before they moved to Burbank. This is how their former HQ in SF looked like.:

Spoiler

wjpf1.jpg

3952879442_8ac6334a91_b.jpg

118568-600-0-2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

You know it's an coincidence that they actually filmed some of the scenes there in SF. Sega of America used to have their HQ in San Francisco, before they moved to Burbank. This is how their former HQ in SF looked like.:

Hide contents

wjpf1.jpg

3952879442_8ac6334a91_b.jpg

118568-600-0-2.jpg

They also used to be in Redwood before that. Maybe we’ll get a scene there?

On 11/15/2018 at 7:15 PM, Miragnarok said:

Wow. Didn't know that. It would be nice, but I highly doubt that would happen.

It's nice to see that they actually filmed some scenes in the real SF. Much of the movie will probably take place there, since there was an plot about Sonic and Tom have to travel to SF to recover rings. I don't know, why rings. It's probably would make sense if they had retrieve the Chaos Emeralds.

Anyway,  here is an nice picture of Sonic and the gang touring around SF that I draw. Enjoy.:

touring_around_sf_by_kitsuoi_dcs3qp6-ful

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Doubt it, there's nothing there anymore.  

6 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

I don't know, why rings. It's probably would make sense if they had retrieve the Chaos Emeralds.

This is what I was discussing in an earlier post on the previous page in the middle of everyone talking about Sonic looking possibly like the pikachu movie. It was about the purposes the rings would have in the film. But the Choas Emeralds make more sense compared to rings.

15 hours ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

This is what I was discussing in an earlier post on the previous page in the middle of everyone talking about Sonic looking possibly like the pikachu movie. It was about the purposes the rings would have in the film. But the Choas Emeralds make more sense compared to rings.

Well, according to the writer, what he had say about all the plot summaries is that they are all woefully incomplete and not summarize the movie in any meaningful way. So, we still yet to know what the movie is actually supposed to be about.

So far, I like everything that the movie had so far. I looked forward to seeing the action. 

It's fun for me to speculate what the action would looked like. So, I made this.:

high_speed_chase_by_kitsuoi_dcs6erp-full

• Thumbs Up 3

7 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

I feel like sonic team has been wanting to get away from chaos emeralds for a while

The film’s not produced by Sonic Team. 

4 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

The film’s not produced by Sonic Team. 

Its not

But it is their brand, and I assume they had say it how its presented. Or at least the team asked about key things about what needs to be in this film. This is a property they own, they some elements they may not wish to show to the greater public at this time with this product

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's Sonic and the Gang eating at Sonic Drive-In. This is most likely the last one that I will draw of the movie. Enjoy!

sonic_and_the_gang_eating_at_sonic_drive

Anyway, given how that the movie take place in an fictional small town in Montana, it would be perfect to have a Sonic Drive-In in the movie, since most of the locations are in rural areas. They also have Sonic's favorite food.

I'm surprised that Sega never partner with them before, so maybe they and Paramount will partner with them for the movie?

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Its not

But it is their brand, and I assume they had say it how its presented. Or at least the team asked about key things about what needs to be in this film. This is a property they own, they some elements they may not wish to show to the greater public at this time with this product

Sonic Team itself has no creative control over the movie. 

3 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Sonic Team itself has no creative control over the movie. 

But apparently, Iizuka does. He's not Sonic Team, but he is a major person in SEGA of Japan.

So going back on the whole cameo idea, I took the liberty of creating a template that everyone can use to suggest whatever character they'd like to see appear, which can be shared and tweeted.  I attached a couple examples below.

Considering that Sonic and Robotnik are the only confirmed Sonic related cast, I felt it was an opportunity for Sonic fans to convince Paramount Pictures and Director Jeff Fowler, to use their CGI magic to incorporate our favorite characters as background cameos. Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Mighty, Vector, ect. Basically, similar to what was showcased in the Detective Pikachu movie trailer.  So, heres what you can do:

Instructions:

1. For those with Photoshop, download this layered PSD. https://ufile.io/j8s2h

2. Search for a CGI version of your character on Google image search. Game characters are the easiest to find, but Archie, Fleetway, and such is a bit of a challenge. They do exist though. If you're unable to find a CGI version, then use a 2D one. As long as the studio heads and CGI FX artists can tell who it is.

3. Find a transparent PNG version of that image. If not, then create one by removing the background and saving it out as a transparent PNG.

4. Swap out the black silhouette for your character.

5. Edit the [insert adjective] text to what your character would say. Or just edit the text however you want.

6. Save out as a JPG.

7. Tweet your image to @paramountpics @fowltown @sega and use these hashtags #sonicmovie #sonicthehedgehog #charactername (ie #raythesquirrel)

Now consider this. On November 8, 2019, it will be 28 years since Sonic fans have waited for this monumental event. The best thing we can do, is make this an experience that justifies our patience. Even though we're talking quick second cameos wandering in the background, it would be a small victory to witness Sonic's friends giving us the long deserved big screen fan service that this film should provide.

NOTE: I already created the entire Freedom Fighters set (Sally, Bunnie, Rotor, and Antonie) along with Mina Mongoose. If anyone wants to request those characters for the movie, simply download the set here to save you time. https://ufile.io/9xrou

sally.jpg

mina.jpg

template.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

That's a massive misunderstanding about what the majority of Sonic fans want if I ever saw one. The best "fanservice" this thing can give any of us is being good, and I guarantee it's already failed at that. Getting a cameo appearance of now-dead comic characters does nothing for me or most of the fandom when the movie itself is a pile of shit. That's why nobody was impressed by the Sea Fox in Shattered Crystal, because that game is boring as hell. Moreover, reposting stolen art to twitter with heavyhanded "WHY DON'T YOU CARE ABOUT MEEEEE" text pasted over it as some sort of tactical whining campaign is no way to affect the film, and frankly I doubt there's really anything we can do in that regard.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Absolutely 1

28 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

That's a massive misunderstanding about what the majority of Sonic fans want if I ever saw one. The best "fanservice" this thing can give any of us is being good, and I guarantee it's already failed at that. Getting a cameo appearance of now-dead comic characters does nothing for me or most of the fandom when the movie itself is a pile of shit. That's why nobody was impressed by the Sea Fox in Shattered Crystal, because that game is boring as hell. Moreover, reposting stolen art to twitter with heavyhanded "WHY DON'T YOU CARE ABOUT MEEEEE" text pasted over it as some sort of tactical whining campaign is no way to affect the film, and frankly I doubt there's really anything we can do in that regard.

First off, nobody is sure how this movie will pan out so its hard to jump to conclusions when a trailer hasnt been released yet.  Plus this campaign pertains to ALL SONIC CHARACTERS, so request whoever you wanna see, its not just limited to the comics as its clearly stated.  And even if the movie doesnt meet expectations, at least we had this rare opportunity to contribute as a community to give Sonic's friends a quick spotlight.  It just seems to me that you come off as someone who's too lazy to take action and just remains complacent with the way things are.  Cameos may not seem like much, but it would show that the people involved with the film including SEGA, cares about the fanbase to actually go the extra mile for us.   

1 minute ago, a knothole resident said:

First off, nobody is sure how this movie will pan out so its hard to jump to conclusions when a trailer hasnt been released yet.

Yeah except I know how this stuff goes down. I've seen this happen over and over and over and over and over. It's a live action adaptation of a video game that has no business being live action. It has no real ties to that game's lore, cast, aesthetic or potentially even personality. These are things we don't need a trailer to know. Even game movies like Ratchet and Clank that do pay attention to these things don't generally turn out as awesome movies. Out of all the video game movies made, I have absolutely zero reason to believe that live action CG Sonic buddy-cop nonsense film is somehow likely in any capacity to be the first one to not be completely stupid and bad. The Mario minions movie is more likely than this, and I don't have very much confidence in that either.

And even if the movie doesnt meet expectations, at least we had this rare opportunity to contribute as a community to give our characters a quick spotlight.

Besides not wanting to see characters I like ruined by an obviously bad production that's already been in development hell and changed studios, you're actually not contributing anything. I guarantee, 100% that this will do nothing. It's no different from those "NINTENTO make SOniC adVentuRE THREE where you FUCK AMY" petitions you see.

It just seems to me that you come off as someone who's too lazy to take action and just remains complacent with the way things are.

Or maybe I'm just not completely deluded into imbuing my own actions with a false sense of significance. Nothing you want would do anything for SEGA in terms of marketability or profits. They've already compromised what the fans want by making a "Sonic" movie that has decidedly nothing to do with Sonic. Why would they give a flying fuck about what you want?

Cameos may not seem like much, but it would show that the people involved with the film including SEGA, cares about the fanbase to actually go the extra mile for us.   

And that's exactly it: they don't! They're not going the "extra mile" because it doesn't benefit them in any way! You are not important to them! None of us are! If we were, they would have crafted a better film from the outset!

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

Yeah except I know how this stuff goes down. I've seen this happen over and over and over and over and over. It's a live action adaptation of a video game that has no business being live action. It has no real ties to that game's lore, cast, aesthetic or potentially even personality. These are things we don't need a trailer to know. Even game movies like Ratchet and Clank that do pay attention to these things don't generally turn out as awesome movies. Out of all the video game movies made, I have absolutely zero reason to believe that live action CG Sonic buddy-cop nonsense film is somehow likely in any capacity to be the first one to not be completely stupid and bad. The Mario minions movie is more likely than this, and I don't have very much confidence in that either.

Besides not wanting to see characters I like ruined by an obviously bad production that's already been in development hell and changed studios, you're actually not contributing anything. I guarantee, 100% that this will do nothing. It's no different from those "NINTENTO make SOniC adVentuRE THREE where you FUCK AMY" petitions you see.

Or maybe I'm just not completely deluded into imbuing my own actions with a false sense of significance. Nothing you want would do anything for SEGA in terms of marketability or profits. They've already compromised what the fans want by making a "Sonic" movie that has decidedly nothing to do with Sonic. Why would they give a flying fuck about what you want?

And that's exactly it: they don't! They're not going the "extra mile" because it doesn't benefit them in any way! You are not important to them! None of us are! If we were, they would have crafted a better film from the outset!

Im just as concerned about the film's integrity as everyone else, but it doesnt mean that we can't steer it in the right direction.  Fan contribution is a known thing these days for media, and if enough voices are heard, someone on the inside will listen.  I realize its too late for reshoots, but our best bet right now, after waiting nearly 3 decades, is to at least see other characters besides Sonic and Robotnik appear somewhere.  It would be SEGA throwing us a bone, which yeah, we have to beg for, but I think is worth the effort.  Just imagine being in a packed theater and spotting all these characters from the franchise.  You know youd be jumping outta your seat screaming "OMG its Ray the Squirrel" or something, even if the movie sucks.  All Im saying is we can at least do something to soften the blow if the overall film itself doesnt please.    

• Thumbs Up 1