Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

7 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

When they say closer to Guardians of the Galaxy, they mean in terms of appeal and demographics. In terms of quality and the way the movie will be presented. He's saying that not every CG/live action hybrid has to be like Smurfs. Nothing to do with the content of the movie itself 

Appeals and demographics-wise Guardians of the Galaxy was a total gamble that everyone thought was going to be Marvel's first flop from what I saw. The success it achieved I've always seen described as a surprise that no one saw coming. Looking at it like that then Sonic still is in a position of being expected to flop and thaht's not really a good comparison still. Looking at it like that I'd still rather have a Smurfs comparison saying that it's done right with the proper focus on the title character. At no point do I need to be told "oh GotG was live action/CGi and it worked" as if that will brush all of my problems under the rug. You can have the greatest CG ever and still fail to tell a descent story and/or be truthful to the source material. The argument that the source material doesn't even matter is even worse to me though as if it doesn't matter, why make a Sonic movie in the first place. "He has a cool design" is not enough and this whole family theme with a bunch of nobodies from the USA just isn't selling it for me.

As I've said before, to me, Sonic has always worked best as an Indiana Jones like character who uses his knowledge of legends and myths to inform his next adventure beyond his encounters with Eggman. Considering Indiana Jones was a very successful Hollywood franchise with numerous imitators on the big screen, small screen, and even in the video game industry, there really isn't a reason that route could not have been followed here while still making use of the family theme. I mean, Sonic is a an adventure franchise, not a road trip franchise. Even when Sonic does go on a road trip, like in say Unleashed, his road trips are a lot greater and more involved than take a rural highway from Montana to San Francisco and collect some rings. That just sounds boring comparatively, especially from a view point of someone who has travelled long distances on rural highways and been bored out of my mind. Then throw in the fact that Sonic could make that trip in about two and a half hours just running on his own, which has been noted to be his favorite thing in the world to do, and having him slow down for the plot brings about concerns of bad plot contrivances or completely undermining Sonic in general. CG quality and audience appeal comparisons do not alleviate these concerns at all. In fact, such comparisons only make these concerns worse. If you're going to tell me not to worry, then sell yourself and your grasp of the franchise and character. At this point they haven't, instead it has been fans who like their other work and even praising unreleased work as the mouth of positivity for this film. That speaks to me that their is reason to be concerned in conjunction with everything else that has come out about this movie. Sure I'm being negative, cynical, and pessimistic, but I have yet to be given a reason not to be beyond "have faith".

4 hours ago, I Love Sticks said:

So what does it make an actual Sonic movie? For me, it has to do with Sonic being the protagonist, and according to the screenwriter, he is.

Plus, where does the whole thing about fans proclaiming "it's doomed to suck hard" even come from? I've heard the arguments "because it's Sonic/it has humans/videogame movies just suck". Lmao. For me the counter argument that it's in capable hands is actually stronger than just comparing it to bad movies. I'll wait for the trailer, maybe I'm wrong and it does suck. Who knows.

Capable hands means a whole lot of nothing before we've seen anything, just consider how the Hobbit movies were received despite it being Peter Jackson working on them, or the Prequel Trilogy despite it being Geaorge Lucas.. While I'll agree there is no guarantee that the movie will suck, there has been enough said about the movie to concern fans from the plot to Sonic, a character with an abstract design and completely IRL impossible design being given a realistic makeover. Then there is always the line from that one article that was linked here a long time ago where the movie was basically described as being about "a small town that comes together to help the sheriff" with Sonic being the last thing mentioned. There has been so much conflicted and impossible to link together information that ever evokes a sense of Sonic's globe trotting adventures with this movie so far that it should be little wonder that people are concerned. Even if us pessimists are dead wrong the handling of information releases for this movie has been a total PR nightmare that only exacerbates the situation. I feel sorry for the marketing team because they already were going to have a hard time selling a live-action movie about a laughing stock video game mascot before the fanbase started spreading their doom and gloom everywhere. It's a mess, and "good hands" is not enough to alleviate that.

• Thumbs Up 4

Hey guys, what all's been happening with this movie since, like, early October or whenever?

(I could've sworn I posted something like this yesterday)

On 11/19/2018 at 5:24 AM, PeterPancake said:

Absolutely not but there is ZERO evidence from every piece of info we've gotten from this movie to suggest it will be bad. Both writers of the movie (Patrick Casey and Josh Miller) have vehemently denied this movie will be anything like Smurfs and Alvin and the Chipmunks. Patrick compared it to Guardians of the Galaxy.

Writers of movie say the movie they wrote will be like popular movie and deny that it will be bad like critically poorly-received movies.  What a shocker.  It's a good thing we can trust these two completely unbiased individuals who have no stake in the film's success.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Absolutely 1

Did some more digging through the IMDB page. David Husby has been cast as the Sound Mixer. His previous films include Logan, Rampage, Star Trek Beyond and Elf.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt3794354/fullcredits/sound_department?ref_=m_ttfc_15

Also, Sean Haworth has been cast in production design. His previous films include Captain America: The First Avenger, Avatar and Transformers.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt3794354/fullcredits/production_designer?ref_=m_ttfc_8

We won't get a good idea of just what this movie will be until the first trailer drops, but Paramount is booking some big talent for this. I wonder if that $90 million budget thing that they originally estimated was wrong and it's actually something much higher..

IMDB is actually pretty reliable when it comes to behind the scenes credits or smaller roles. Many times the people/crew are they, themselves, listing their credits/occupation for whatever project they worked on, on IMDB for their resume. Sometimes their agents do it for them as well. 

• Thumbs Up 3

7 hours ago, FFWF said:

Writers of movie say the movie they wrote will be like popular movie and deny that it will be bad like critically poorly-received movies.  What a shocker.  It's a good thing we can trust these two completely unbiased individuals who have no stake in the film's success.

What indicates that this movie go right past “so bad it’s good” and become a film on par with The Legend of Chun-Li?

1 hour ago, DanGreen said:

According to IMDB, the expected release date is now 26th December 2019.

Did you know that IMDB can be edited by literally anyone?

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Absolutely 3

Really? Do people do not want to spend time with their families and friends? Also, if they would go to the cinemas, wouldn't they want to watch a more Christmas/winter oriented movie like Frozen or the Grinch? 

You know the Macy’s Parade got me thinking of the balloon. What if Sega and Paramount made an Sonic balloon to promote the movie, something similar just like this one back in 2011?

972CD99F-3E12-4CBC-817A-FF120D26B103.jpeg.220d8d8d49796dc97c5f59943a99b20b.jpeg

That would be an perfect opportunity to promote it since the movie will be releasing around next November where the parade is always held. 

F5F04178-C003-48EF-90A9-A11256B4ABB7.jpeg.b0aac50edfb9cc5f122a4e054ef13c53.jpeg

I do remember that Rovio and Sony did made an balloon based on one of the characters that was designed for the movie for the parade last year. So, I wouldn’t be surprised if Sega and Paramount did something similar to like that.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Myst said:

Kimberly Bejar has been hired as 'truck costumer'

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt3794354/fullcredits/costume_department?ref_=m_ttfc_21

I wonder..

Would love to see an chase similar to that. That would be interesting and exciting to see an scene of the truck destroying everything in its way, while trying to chase Sonic down.

• Fist Bump 1

So, what rating do you think the movie will get. PG or PG-13? I bet it will probably get an PG-13 rating. I highly doubt it will be rated R.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

So, what rating do you think the movie will get. PG or PG-13? I bet it will probably get an PG-13 rating. I highly doubt it will be rated R.

Well, a PG-13 rating was what they were originally going for. However, I heard that Paramount is going more family-friendly now.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Absolutely 1

51 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Well, a PG-13 rating was what they were originally going for. However, I heard that Paramount is going more family-friendly now.

Source of that? I think there is an high chance that the movie could get an PG or PG-13 rating. We will have to see when we get the news of the movie official rating. 

Oh, BTW, I found this Instagram post of an old lady who get to be in an scene with James Marsden (Tom).

• Thumbs Up 1