Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Guys I don't...I don't think that guy is hating the movie because it "doesn't have very many Sonic characters", and he never said it wasn't going to be anything like the game (though I'm assuming it isn't).

He said that he heard the movie is bad that's all. He probably mentioning that there aren't many characters because so many Sonic fans are curious about who's in it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Gamecuber64 said:

Guys I don't...I don't think that guy is hating the movie because it "doesn't have very many Sonic characters", and he never said it wasn't going to be anything like the game (though I'm assuming it isn't).

He said that he heard the movie is bad that's all. He probably mentioning that there aren't many characters because so many Sonic fans are curious about who's in it.

Hopefully

19 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

Oh dear @Sonic Fan J it gets "better:"  Here's the summary Google gives: "Juvenile delinquent Sonic the Hedgehog and local policeman Tom Wachowski must stop Dr. Eggman from completing his plans for world domination." 

Oh and also, one of the writers said that all those articles online talking about the movie are just early plot ideas on his Twitter.

There was a meeting with Paramount however where a guy said the film is about Sonic being an alien, and the government trying to chase him down, and Tom/city of Green Hills tries to protect him.....or something.

• Absolutely 1

22 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

Oh dear @Sonic Fan J it gets "better:"  Here's the summary Google gives: "Juvenile delinquent Sonic the Hedgehog and local policeman Tom Wachowski must stop Dr. Eggman from completing his plans for world domination."

Just now, Gamecuber64 said:

Oh and also, one of the writers said that all those articles online talking about the movie are just early plot ideas on his Twitter.

There was a meeting with Paramount however where a guy said the film is about Sonic being an alien, and the government trying to chase him down, and Tom/city of Green Hills tries to protect him.....or something.

Yeah, I've said before on this thread that the marketing team is going to have a nightmare of a time cleaning up all of the misinformation and shared tidbits when it's finally time to advertise the movie just because of stuff like this. Way too many people were talking about way to many things when they should have just clammed up and at most told people they were going to make the best Sonic the Hedgehog movie they could. Considering this fanbase though and what I watched happen to the producer of Sonic BOOM! on the SEGA Forums back in the day though I am completely unsurprised that this happened. Though, to be fair, when handling a beloved and near three decade old franchise you are opening your doors to trouble so it is kind of there fault for not having a PR game plan in place to begin with, especially in todays social media environment. I really do still feel bad for the marketing team.

9 minutes ago, Gamecuber64 said:

Honestly we went off on such a tangent there that I kind of forgot that was what started it in the first place. I am kind of curious though where he gets these rumors he trusts so much that the movie is going to be bad since I haven't seen any discontent from the crew about the filming process and there is nothing cut together yet to even attempt to break down the movie beyond the finalized script. I mean sure, Sonic's VA didn't seem all that confident to me with that tweet of his that was posted a few pages back, but that doesn't surprise me with how voice work and final editing is to my knowledge in Hollywood movies. Even as cynical and bitter as I am about this movie, my cynicism isn't about quality, but content. To me the quality right now doesn't even matter simply because I find the concepts that make up the contents to be so jarring and inappropriate that their execution is almost irrelevant. So, again, unless his source slipped him a copy of the script and he's read it in its entirety to pass his final judgement on it I find his condemnation of the film at such an early and unfinished stage curious due to lack of correlating evidence and discontent within the film crew. As of now, I don't see a reason to attack the quality of an unfinished product of which nothing has been shown. It makes no sense.

52 minutes ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

Some guy on twitter is reacting to some rumours. Nothing new here.

The guy on Twitter has leaked information about video games before and they were true

11 months and we'll know how it is one way or another. Maybe it'll come together in the edit or the reshoots next year improve some things. Could easily be something fans hate but is a hit with a general audience.

• Fist Bump 1

So someone is complaining that the Sonic movie is going to suck..

kEhSaGk.jpg

People have been pissing on this movie since it was announced in 2014 people! All Sonic fans seem to do is complain lately. There is NO optimism in this fanbase. 

And besides, HOW does this person know that the movie is going to suck? Do they have a security pass to get onto the Paramount lot? Did they use that to talk to an exec and get the inside scoop? Did they break into Patrick Casey's home and steal a copy of the script? Did they hack the computers at Blur Studio to see what Sonic will look like in CGI?

Calm down people. A random person said the movie will suck with no reasons as to WHY.  It could suck.. I don't know, but I'll reserve judgement until the first trailer.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Myst said:

So someone is complaining that the Sonic movie is going to suck..

kEhSaGk.jpg

People have been pissing on this movie since it was announced in 2014 people! All Sonic fans seem to do is complain lately. There is NO optimism in this fanbase. 

And besides, HOW does this person know that the movie is going to suck? Do they have a security pass to get onto the Paramount lot? Did they use that to talk to an exec and get the inside scoop? Did they break into Patrick Casey's home and steal a copy of the script? Did they hack the computers at Blur Studio to see what Sonic will look like in CGI?

Calm down people. A random person said the movie will suck with no reasons as to WHY.  It could suck.. I don't know, but I'll reserve judgement until the first trailer.

Except it wasn't just any random person though.

It was a dude who also leaked the Mario+Rabbids game before that was even revealed.

But Mario + Rabbids is a video game, this is a big budget Hollywood production. Where is he getting this information?

Also, this is his opinion. Is he even a Sonic fan at all? Many Sonic fans themselves are divided over how Sonic 'should' be. Some like whimsical stories with classic, others like the 'edgier' stuff from the modern era. Forces was a very divisive game, with some praising it, and others outright HATING it.

Lots of gaming critics are overly harsh on Sonic, saying he was only good in the Genesis days.

My point is, HE might think the Sonic movie sucks, but OTHER fans might see it and think 'hey that was cool!'

Sonic as a franchise is pretty darn divisive when you think about it. Again, we just have to wait for the first trailer to drop. His opinion is his own. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Lol the arguements about this movie and how good it will/won't be, across forums and YouTube, all of which are based on pure speculation, are mindboggling.

We don't know anything about the plot or the charcters, other than its set on Earth and part of it is shot in San Francisco, both of which to me suggest a heavy Sonic Adventure-influenced plot of the gang coming to our world and presumably getting chased by a big truck at the end to Escape from the City. And since most people rave about SA games how can this be a bad thing?

All the info related to plot at the moment are fan submitted to sites such as IMDB, and are cobbled together from throwaway quotes from people working on the movie. Everything else is baseless speculation and not worth listening to. I'm sure the trailer will drop in a few months and I for one am optimistic.

Lol while I'm ranting, I'm sick of seeing "Juvinile delinquent Sonic... blah blah blah." used in every description. Again, some throwaway line from the Paramount guy who isn't going to be overly familiar with the character. He probably just knows the character is slightly impatient and hot headed at times. Remember in the 90s when he was "the hedgehog with attitude"? Juvinile delinquent is obviously not going to be a defining quality of the character, just some throwaway line in an interview.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I'm personally betting on there being a quick teaser trailer with Bumblebee.. (Another Paramount film)

I'm guessing the first teaser will probably just show James Marsden & Tika Sumpter in Green Hills and then end with a quick tease of Sonic's shilouette standing on the hood of Tom's cop car. 

• Way Past Cool 1

I'd speculate February for the first look either they'll think it'll be worth spending money on a Superbowl spot for it or something will leak from the toy fair.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Rabid-Coot said:

I'd speculate February for the first look either they'll think it'll be worth spending money on a Superbowl spot for it or something will leak from the toy fair.

Yeah, the New York Toy Fair (I think starts in February) always leaks things before-hand, just like the IndoRaptor from Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom was.

• Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, Myst said:

I'm personally betting on there being a quick teaser trailer with Bumblebee.. (Another Paramount film)

I'm guessing the first teaser will probably just show James Marsden & Tika Sumpter in Green Hills and then end with a quick tease of Sonic's shilouette standing on the hood of Tom's cop car. 

Probably too early. I expected the first trailer around like March or April. I don’t know.

Anyway, take an look at this cool little scene made by SquigglyDigg.:

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Way Past Cool 1

Perhaps it's just because I'm severely confident in my negative impressions so far but I don't feel it's hard to understand why the news we've gotten regarding this movie has led to heavy argumentation. A lot of the stuff we've heard so far (whether you like the idea of what's been spoken of or not) is largely considered to be way outside the norm in a lot of ways from what one would typically expect (and in my case "want") from a Sonic movie. 

The push-backs and delays, the studio changes, the reveal that a cartoon hedgehog with anatomy even more out there than that of a Pokemon was taking a live-action approach, and Jim Carrey as Dr. Eggman are all things that I feel you would realistically expect people to have mixed feelings about, just hearing it from the onset. This is ignoring the 60-40 ratio Sonic seems to have when it comes to SEGA and other companies handling him with grace. For every IDW comic and Smash Bros. appearance there's a Forces and a Rise of Lyric around the corner. It's no wonder people would show appreciation for a bit more consistency.  

I've still currently been given no reason to shift my expectations from negative to positive either, aside from hearing that Sonic's going to be voiced by a pretty good voice actor. 

It's perfectly fine having negative impressions based on the info you've been given. No one should feel pressured into staving off what they think about it right now. That should only be relegated to an individual decision based on what you perceive to be the correct course of action to take. Also, there's nothing wrong with changing your mind or admitting you're wrong.

I'd love nothing other than to change my mind or admit that I'm wrong in this case because I'm a Sonic fan. It's not beneficial to me to have a bad Sonic film out there. 

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Fist Bump 1

I'm going to withdraw the superbowl from my first look expectations. I just checked what was shown there the last couple of years and summer looks to be the furthest away anything shown was.

On 12/3/2018 at 9:43 PM, Myst said:

Would be amazing but I highly doubt it. 

On 12/3/2018 at 10:42 PM, Rabid-Coot said:

I’ve been saying this for months. 

1 minute ago, PeterPancake said:

Paramount showed the first footage today.  We will be hearing shortly what was in the footage 

Great we could be seeing our first footage of the Sonic film way sooner than we thought.

Well, this is all they showed

"One of the next things we saw the world premiere of some very brief footage from director Jeff Fowler’s Sonic the Hedgehog movie. While the footage was very short, it showed Sonic on a highway and then quickly running off screen. It’s clear the footage was nothing more than reminding people who Sonic is and that he has a movie coming soon.

The footage ended with a title card saying Sonic, so that could be the film’s official title."

http://collider.com/bumblebee-top-gun-2-footage-ccxp/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

• Thumbs Up 4

37 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Well, this is all they showed

"One of the next things we saw the world premiere of some very brief footage from director Jeff Fowler’s Sonic the Hedgehog movie. While the footage was very short, it showed Sonic on a highway and then quickly running off screen. It’s clear the footage was nothing more than reminding people who Sonic is and that he has a movie coming soon.

The footage ended with a title card saying Sonic, so that could be the film’s official title."

http://collider.com/bumblebee-top-gun-2-footage-ccxp/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Now I'm wondering if this footage/ teaser (even though it ain't much) will premiere with Bumblebee on the 21st. Like I originally thought would happen. Now the highway thing with the logo sounds like what they probably showed back at Cinemacon a few months back showing a desert highway with the Sonic logo, well not the film's logo.

26 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

http://www.premiereline.com.br/2018/12/ccxp-2018-bumblebee-sonic-cemiterio.html

via Translate:

"Sonic's preview made Cinemark's audience agitated. The teaser began with a close on the face of the hedgehog, which is at the same time as caricature, textured and realistic. Something in Detective Pikachu's suit."

Welp, if a small audience got irritated with this teaser, that's a sign I should be afraid of how some of the wilder parts of the fanbase will react when it's made public.

It's not gonna be pretty, folks.

• Fist Bump 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1