Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

"Agitados/Agitaded" in Portuguese isn't exactly negative, it means when people become "hyper" more than anything, doesn't mean that is a bad thing. It made people "move". That'all.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1

This movie has me stressing hard.I would love nothing more than an awesome live-action Sonic movie, but man, I got the feeling they're not going to do it justice. 

Hopefully we get the teaser with Bumblebee. If Sonic can look as good as Pikachu, I'd be so happy. 

1 minute ago, JosepHenry said:

"Agitados" in Portuguese isn't exactly negative, it means when people become "hyper" more than anything, doesn't mean a bad thing.

I guarantee it'll be something negative by the time we see it. If it's being compared to Detective Pikachu, that's not a good sign.

• Thumbs Up 1

HA, told y'all they Sonic would look like Pikachu and the Pokemon. There was no way he'd look like Roger Rabbit in a real world environment. 

And what do you mean that's not a good sign? Everybody loved Detective Pikachu 

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:

"Agitados/Agitaded" in Portuguese isn't exactly negative, it means when people become "hyper" more than anything, doesn't mean that is a bad thing. It made people "move". That'all.

Didn’t know that. You learn something new everyday.

Yeah, I've seen a mostly good reception to Detective Pikachi. Pikachu's look especially. 

Again, if Sonic looks as good as that, I'm happy. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

HA, told y'all they Sonic would look like Pikachu and the Pokemon. There was no way he'd look like Roger Rabbit in a real world environment. 

And what do you mean that's not a good sign? Everybody loved Detective Pikachu 

I guess I'll ignore the sudden revelation that "everybody" now apparently has a new definition and say that the thing about the Pokemon trailer is that when compared to the games they don't look good or normal at all, nor does Detective Pikachu even seem like a very good movie. It's a technical achievement of directly translating designs, but it's not something I think actually makes so much sense as it would if they just made an animated movie. Same principle as these heavily-CG'd "live action" Disney remakes that are infinitely more bland and lifeless than the originals.

And the biggest spot of hope for this film was hearing that Marza was working on it, meaning that Sonic might actually look like Sonic rather than some slightly-disturbing Alvin and the Chipmunks redesign, which as far as I'm concerned is exactly what Detective Pikachu looks like. Hearing that that's gone basically further robs the impression that this has any relation to Sonic as a franchise from even a tangential visual perspective, which was the absolute most I expected (or hoped for, after hearing how the plot has nothing to do with the series).

• Thumbs Up 1

There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of these 

detective-pikachu-all-live-action-pokemon-pic.thumb.jpg.7b69cdf8de62ad7c1a072d6f26f084eb.jpg

We would be lucky if Sonic looked that good. Perfect blend of cartoon and realism 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1

Honestly, gonna have to agree with that. Detective Pikachu looks great to me and I personally don't understand the complaints with its style. Not only that, but I disagree that it even looks like a particularly bad film. It looks cute and interesting to me, at least. I still have time to be proven wrong on that, of course, but I think it looks just fine.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

I guess I'll ignore the sudden revelation that "everybody" now apparently has a new definition and say that the thing about the Pokemon trailer is that when compared to the games they don't look good or normal at all, nor does Detective Pikachu even seem like a very good movie. It's a technical achievement of directly translating designs, but it's not something I think actually makes so much sense as it would if they just made an animated movie. Same principle as these heavily-CG'd "live action" Disney remakes that are infinitely more bland and lifeless than the originals.

And the biggest spot of hope for this film was hearing that Marza was working on it, meaning that Sonic might actually look like Sonic rather than some slightly-disturbing Alvin and the Chipmunks redesign, which as far as I'm concerned is exactly what Detective Pikachu looks like. Hearing that that's gone basically further robs the impression that this has any relation to Sonic as a franchise from even a tangential visual perspective, which was the absolute most I expected (or hoped for, after hearing how the plot has nothing to do with the series).

Yet Detective Pikachu tested extremely well in test screenings. And many people love the new designs. The trailer surprised a lot of people and the designs look fantastic. The problem here was anybody expecting Sonic to look like a Pixar cartoon standing next to human beings. I have been telling you for months that's never going to happen. And don't cite the fan film because that was a poor take that was the result of an extremely limited budget.

The Reception to Sonic could be really good if he looks like Pickachu and co.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of these 

-snip-

We would be lucky if Sonic looked that good. Perfect blend of cartoon and realism 

Yeah those aren't fucking disturbing at all, how silly of me for suggesting that a single human being on earth would not want giant vacant Jigglypuff orbs watching them while they sleep

1 minute ago, PeterPancake said:

Yet Detective Pikachu tested extremely well in test screenings. And many people love the new designs. The trailer surprised a lot of people and the designs look fantastic. The problem here was anybody expecting Sonic to look like a Pixar cartoon standing next to human beings. I have been telling you for months that's never going to happen. And don't cite the fan film because that was a poor take that was the result of an extremely limited budget.

The Reception to Sonic could be really good if he looks like Pickachu and co.

I feel like saying "don't criticize it just because some other people might like it" is a mentality this forum has been trying to ruthlessly shun for several years now. I never said it was likely, just that it would be good. Instead it probably doesn't look good.

Just now, Shaddy Zaphod said:

Yeah those aren't fucking disturbing at all

They look cute. I would love to have that Jigglypuff in my home. Pikachu too. They look fantastic 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Shaddy Zaphod said:

Yeah those aren't fucking disturbing at all

Objectively, no not really. You're of the opinion that they are and that's fine, but plenty of people received the style well. It's not a fact that they look bad.

• Thumbs Up 5

4 minutes ago, NezumiVA said:

Objectively, no not really.

4 minutes ago, NezumiVA said:

It's not a fact that they look bad.

It's kind of impressive that you managed to fit a "well that's just your opinion" and a "my opinion is objectively correct" so close together.

The practice of explaining how explaining that statements on quality are subjective should be a given is so common at this point that it might as well be a given that it's already likely to show up in every thread based on anything controversial whatsoever. This kind of discussion is a black hole of meta bullcrap and I'm tired of it. I don't think Detective Pikachu looks good, I don't think Sonic is at all likely to be any better given how much less of a fuck about actually being about the thing it adapts it even gives.

I didn't say my opinion was objectively correct, I just said yours wasn't lol. You're getting awfully angry about this considering no one is really saying you don't have a right to believe what you will.

14 minutes ago, NezumiVA said:

I didn't say my opinion was objectively correct, I just said yours wasn't lol. You're getting awfully angry about this considering no one is really saying you don't have a right to believe what you will.

Saying my opinion is objectively wrong is really not that different from saying yours is objectively right. I have not at any point implied that my opinion is at all objective, so tossing a "that's just your opinion" at my statements serves no point. That's why I went on that stupid spiel about how even the process of explaining that opinions are subjective and mine is too is a tired cliche that everyone should know better than to invoke at this point. Nobody is under the impression that anything anyone says about this movie are not their opinions. And don't give me the "lol u mad" response, that doesn't help anything.

Part of me feeling the way is because it's so blatantly transparent that when a """live action""" version of a cartoon or cartoonish property is made, that it's only done because animation isn't properly taken seriously by the greater cultural consciousness of movie viewers, at least in the west. That's why Disney keeps remaking their old animated films with lame pseudo-realistic CGI out the ass and calling them "live-action", it's a way of redirecting attention and appealing to the broadest possible demographic, and every single thing we've heard about this movie has suggested these exact tactics applied to other aspects of it. The characters, the narrative, the simple fact that it has nothing to do with Sonic, and now it won't even properly look like the guy, which while not unexpected, does not cease to be disappointing. There's no passion or even much advertisement for the series going on here. It's a movie that happens to contain characters that sort-of-but-not-really look like Sonic and Eggman, not a Sonic the hedgehog movie. There's no good reason for a fan like me to see it, because it's both completely un-Sonic and probably terrible, and for anyone else that sees it, it doesn't properly represent the franchise it adapts, and is probably terrible.

It's completely different, because Spiderman is a drawing of a person, and Sonic is a drawing of a thing that does not and cannot possibly exist in real life.

But at this point it's clear that nothing can convince you that it's even reasonable to be concerned about how Sonic will look.

• Thumbs Up 7

"Agitated", a blatent translation error (the whole description is semi-gibberish) is going to be blown out of proportion again by the same dopes who keep going on about "juvinile delinquent".

How (and why) in the fuck would anyone become visibly agitated at a 10 second teaser for a family action movie?! Lmao

• Thumbs Up 2