Mayor D

Sonic Live Action Movie "Now entering Silent Green Hill"

Lol the arguements about this movie and how good it will/won't be, across forums and YouTube, all of which are based on pure speculation, are mindboggling.

We don't know anything about the plot or the charcters, other than its set on Earth and part of it is shot in San Francisco, both of which to me suggest a heavy Sonic Adventure-influenced plot of the gang coming to our world and presumably getting chased by a big truck at the end to Escape from the City. And since most people rave about SA games how can this be a bad thing?

All the info related to plot at the moment are fan submitted to sites such as IMDB, and are cobbled together from throwaway quotes from people working on the movie. Everything else is baseless speculation and not worth listening to. I'm sure the trailer will drop in a few months and I for one am optimistic.

Lol while I'm ranting, I'm sick of seeing "Juvinile delinquent Sonic... blah blah blah." used in every description. Again, some throwaway line from the Paramount guy who isn't going to be overly familiar with the character. He probably just knows the character is slightly impatient and hot headed at times. Remember in the 90s when he was "the hedgehog with attitude"? Juvinile delinquent is obviously not going to be a defining quality of the character, just some throwaway line in an interview.

I'm personally betting on there being a quick teaser trailer with Bumblebee.. (Another Paramount film)

I'm guessing the first teaser will probably just show James Marsden & Tika Sumpter in Green Hills and then end with a quick tease of Sonic's shilouette standing on the hood of Tom's cop car. 

1 hour ago, Rabid-Coot said:

I'd speculate February for the first look either they'll think it'll be worth spending money on a Superbowl spot for it or something will leak from the toy fair.

Yeah, the New York Toy Fair (I think starts in February) always leaks things before-hand, just like the IndoRaptor from Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom was.

13 hours ago, Myst said:

I'm personally betting on there being a quick teaser trailer with Bumblebee.. (Another Paramount film)

I'm guessing the first teaser will probably just show James Marsden & Tika Sumpter in Green Hills and then end with a quick tease of Sonic's shilouette standing on the hood of Tom's cop car. 

Probably too early. I expected the first trailer around like March or April. I don’t know.

Anyway, take an look at this cool little scene made by SquigglyDigg.:

Perhaps it's just because I'm severely confident in my negative impressions so far but I don't feel it's hard to understand why the news we've gotten regarding this movie has led to heavy argumentation. A lot of the stuff we've heard so far (whether you like the idea of what's been spoken of or not) is largely considered to be way outside the norm in a lot of ways from what one would typically expect (and in my case "want") from a Sonic movie. 

The push-backs and delays, the studio changes, the reveal that a cartoon hedgehog with anatomy even more out there than that of a Pokemon was taking a live-action approach, and Jim Carrey as Dr. Eggman are all things that I feel you would realistically expect people to have mixed feelings about, just hearing it from the onset. This is ignoring the 60-40 ratio Sonic seems to have when it comes to SEGA and other companies handling him with grace. For every IDW comic and Smash Bros. appearance there's a Forces and a Rise of Lyric around the corner. It's no wonder people would show appreciation for a bit more consistency.  

I've still currently been given no reason to shift my expectations from negative to positive either, aside from hearing that Sonic's going to be voiced by a pretty good voice actor. 

It's perfectly fine having negative impressions based on the info you've been given. No one should feel pressured into staving off what they think about it right now. That should only be relegated to an individual decision based on what you perceive to be the correct course of action to take. Also, there's nothing wrong with changing your mind or admitting you're wrong.

I'd love nothing other than to change my mind or admit that I'm wrong in this case because I'm a Sonic fan. It's not beneficial to me to have a bad Sonic film out there. 

I'm going to withdraw the superbowl from my first look expectations. I just checked what was shown there the last couple of years and summer looks to be the furthest away anything shown was.

On 12/3/2018 at 9:43 PM, Myst said:

Would be amazing but I highly doubt it. 

On 12/3/2018 at 10:42 PM, Rabid-Coot said:

I'd speculate February for the first look either they'll think it'll be worth spending money on a Superbowl spot for it or something will leak from the toy fair.

I’ve been saying this for months. 

1 minute ago, PeterPancake said:

Paramount showed the first footage today.  We will be hearing shortly what was in the footage 

Great we could be seeing our first footage of the Sonic film way sooner than we thought.

Well, this is all they showed

"One of the next things we saw the world premiere of some very brief footage from director Jeff Fowler’s Sonic the Hedgehog movie. While the footage was very short, it showed Sonic on a highway and then quickly running off screen. It’s clear the footage was nothing more than reminding people who Sonic is and that he has a movie coming soon.

The footage ended with a title card saying Sonic, so that could be the film’s official title."

http://collider.com/bumblebee-top-gun-2-footage-ccxp/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

http://www.premiereline.com.br/2018/12/ccxp-2018-bumblebee-sonic-cemiterio.html

via Translate:

"Sonic's preview made Cinemark's audience agitated. The teaser began with a close on the face of the hedgehog, which is at the same time as caricature, textured and realistic. Something in Detective Pikachu's suit."

37 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Well, this is all they showed

"One of the next things we saw the world premiere of some very brief footage from director Jeff Fowler’s Sonic the Hedgehog movie. While the footage was very short, it showed Sonic on a highway and then quickly running off screen. It’s clear the footage was nothing more than reminding people who Sonic is and that he has a movie coming soon.

The footage ended with a title card saying Sonic, so that could be the film’s official title."

http://collider.com/bumblebee-top-gun-2-footage-ccxp/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Now I'm wondering if this footage/ teaser (even though it ain't much) will premiere with Bumblebee on the 21st. Like I originally thought would happen. Now the highway thing with the logo sounds like what they probably showed back at Cinemacon a few months back showing a desert highway with the Sonic logo, well not the film's logo.

26 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

http://www.premiereline.com.br/2018/12/ccxp-2018-bumblebee-sonic-cemiterio.html

via Translate:

"Sonic's preview made Cinemark's audience agitated. The teaser began with a close on the face of the hedgehog, which is at the same time as caricature, textured and realistic. Something in Detective Pikachu's suit."

Welp, if a small audience got irritated with this teaser, that's a sign I should be afraid of how some of the wilder parts of the fanbase will react when it's made public.

It's not gonna be pretty, folks.

This movie has me stressing hard.I would love nothing more than an awesome live-action Sonic movie, but man, I got the feeling they're not going to do it justice. 

Hopefully we get the teaser with Bumblebee. If Sonic can look as good as Pikachu, I'd be so happy. 

1 minute ago, JosepHenry said:

"Agitados" in Portuguese isn't exactly negative, it means when people become "hyper" more than anything, doesn't mean a bad thing.

I guarantee it'll be something negative by the time we see it. If it's being compared to Detective Pikachu, that's not a good sign.

19 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:

"Agitados/Agitaded" in Portuguese isn't exactly negative, it means when people become "hyper" more than anything, doesn't mean that is a bad thing. It made people "move". That'all.

Didn’t know that. You learn something new everyday.

6 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

HA, told y'all they Sonic would look like Pikachu and the Pokemon. There was no way he'd look like Roger Rabbit in a real world environment. 

And what do you mean that's not a good sign? Everybody loved Detective Pikachu 

I guess I'll ignore the sudden revelation that "everybody" now apparently has a new definition and say that the thing about the Pokemon trailer is that when compared to the games they don't look good or normal at all, nor does Detective Pikachu even seem like a very good movie. It's a technical achievement of directly translating designs, but it's not something I think actually makes so much sense as it would if they just made an animated movie. Same principle as these heavily-CG'd "live action" Disney remakes that are infinitely more bland and lifeless than the originals.

And the biggest spot of hope for this film was hearing that Marza was working on it, meaning that Sonic might actually look like Sonic rather than some slightly-disturbing Alvin and the Chipmunks redesign, which as far as I'm concerned is exactly what Detective Pikachu looks like. Hearing that that's gone basically further robs the impression that this has any relation to Sonic as a franchise from even a tangential visual perspective, which was the absolute most I expected (or hoped for, after hearing how the plot has nothing to do with the series).

Honestly, gonna have to agree with that. Detective Pikachu looks great to me and I personally don't understand the complaints with its style. Not only that, but I disagree that it even looks like a particularly bad film. It looks cute and interesting to me, at least. I still have time to be proven wrong on that, of course, but I think it looks just fine.