Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

12 minutes ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

I don't really think it'll be Classic. Because in one of the descriptions for the teaser included him breaking the sound barrier (implying a Sonic Boom), which I don't think I've seen Classic Sonic do that in any of the Classic Sonic games. So it's just far more likely to be Modern Sonic.

Or it could be another model such as the Modern Sonic/ classic Sonic hybrid designs:

tumblr_lvhajpM7tM1qzgp6f.jpg

Hopefully we will get a teaser soon...

Agreed, and not just a tease in a Brazillian con where no one took videos or photos apparently.

To paraphrase Activision/Blizzard at the botched Diablo immortal reveal:

Did they not have phones?

• Thumbs Up 5

12 hours ago, ShadowSJG said:

Is he still salty that they didn't go with his movie from years ago. My god, this guy needs to let Sonic go

But according to him he has. That's why his current project is reliant on Sonic comics he did like a decade ago and he keeps commenting on the state of Sega and the IDW comics (Y'know just to make sure those bridges are good and burnt so he doesn't have a safety net).

Anyway I'm kinda surprised a picture of the teaser hasn't leaked yet TBH.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, ShadowSJG said:

Is he still salty that they didn't go with his movie from years ago. My god, this guy needs to let Sonic go

Sadly i feel we can expect Ken to call every piece of promotion the wrong decision probably followed by a if I was doing it it would be done this way and ending with how his hypothetical movie would have made more than whatever amount this ends up making.

53 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

Or it could be another model such as the Modern Sonic/ classic Sonic hybrid designs:

tumblr_lvhajpM7tM1qzgp6f.jpg

Agreed, and not just a tease in a Brazillian con where no one took videos or photos apparently.

To paraphrase Activision/Blizzard at the botched Diablo immortal reveal:

Did they not have phones?

Never heard of or seen those designs. Are those official? Because it looks better than Classic, but not as good as Moderns.

I think someone would've mentioned it if it were Classic Sonic instead of just the standard one.

1 hour ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

I don't really think it'll be Classic. Because in one of the descriptions for the teaser included him breaking the sound barrier (implying a Sonic Boom), which I don't think I've seen Classic Sonic do that in any of the Classic Sonic games. So it's just far more likely to be Modern Sonic.

There was a song called "Sonic Boom"

2 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

It's definitely going to be more detailed than that. That's just the game design but flocked. They will probably add detail on his eyes, mouth (real mouth) and the fur will look more realistic than that. Like real animal fur.

More detailed, but the general idea of it. The only examples I think of for a cartoony but realistic (in the vein of Detective Pikachu) Sonic are that, and.. this:

531765_465301830193348_72000734_n.jpg

1 hour ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

Classic sonic has done that in various media though, even though not his games. Also, modern hasnt really broken the sound barrier in any of his videogames. The sound barrier at sea level is 760 mph. Definitely not.

I could also see classic sonic as the choice based on things we've heard, although I expected going in that we'd get Modern.

37 minutes ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

Never heard of or seen those designs. Are those official? Because it looks better than Classic, but not as good as Moderns.

That design doesnt look as good as either classic or modern. Too stubby with an oversized head.

34 minutes ago, Razule said:

I think someone would've mentioned it if it were Classic Sonic instead of just the standard one.

There was a song called "Sonic Boom"

More detailed, but the general idea of it. The only examples I think of for a cartoony but realistic (in the vein of Detective Pikachu) Sonic are that, and.. this:

531765_465301830193348_72000734_n.jpg

We really wouldn't have. Because the people at the event were not hardcore Sonic fans. They likely can't even tell the difference between Modern and Classic as the differences are not that drastic. The cute Sonic comment somebody made has me convinced though, that it will be classic. Everything seems to add up to the design as well as the movie itself taking more inspiration from the Genisis era. 

2 hours ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

That doesnt really matter, though. Because it's a new Interpretation of Sonic in a new continuity so that means new ground rules are being set for this universe. (And Classic Sonic did break the sound barrier in Sonic Underground but that's besides the point. )

34 minutes ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

Also, modern hasnt really broken the sound barrier in any of his videogames.

That's what a sonic boom is, is breaking the sound barrier. Which means faster than the speed of sound. The Modern 3D boost games show this the best.

Sonic's design has always shifted and evolved between games; his sprite in Sonic 3 is considerably closer to what we now call "Modern Sonic" than his sprite in the previous classic games.  The division between "Classic" and "Modern" designs is an anachronistic and retrospective classification which bears no resemblance to the actual continuity of Sonic's designs over the years.  There is no Classic and Modern Sonic; and there certainly won't be in the movie.

14 minutes ago, FFWF said:

Sonic's design has always shifted and evolved between games; his sprite in Sonic 3 is considerably closer to what we now call "Modern Sonic" than his sprite in the previous classic games.  The division between "Classic" and "Modern" designs is an anachronistic and retrospective classification which bears no resemblance to the actual continuity of Sonic's designs over the years.  There is no Classic and Modern Sonic; and there certainly won't be in the movie.

Kind of agree with this. Sonic in s3k was very very similar to SA1 sonic, minus the green eyes. In fact when the in game model first appeared I thought that's exactly what that was. His spines are a tad longer, that's really it.

58 minutes ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

That's what a sonic boom is, is breaking the sound barrier. Which means faster than the speed of sound. The Modern 3D boost games show this the best.

I know what a sonic boom is. Sonic however is not actually moving at those speeds in the games, despite the effect. I think awhile back when the games were first releases it was calculated that his speeds were actually in the 300s of mph based on his in game velocities. Have to find that reference but I remember it. I could understand the argument though, so I dont blame you for thinking that.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, FFWF said:

his sprite in Sonic 3 is considerably closer to what we now call "Modern Sonic" than his sprite in the previous classic games.

I can agree there, which is why I like it more than the other Classic games.

1 hour ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

I think awhile back when the games were first releases it was calculated that his speeds were actually in the 300s of mph based on his in game velocities. Have to find that reference but I remember it. I could understand the argument though, so I dont blame you for thinking that.

I think Unleashed did a speed measure and it went over into the 1,000's. But if the 300's Mph thing is true, then why say that he's faster than the speed of sound? When the speed of sound is 767.269 Mph.

24 minutes ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

I think Unleashed did a speed measure and it went over into the 1,000's. But if the 300's Mph thing is true, then why say that he's faster than the speed of sound? When the speed of sound is 767.269 Mph.

Because he can't actually go faster than the speed of sound in a video game or the player wouldn't be able to keep up.

• Thumbs Up 4

10 minutes ago, Razule said:

Because he can't actually go faster than the speed of sound in a video game or the player wouldn't be able to keep up.

I actually thought about that, because the games would be Way faster if the true (real) speed was actually shown. And therefore unplayable.

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Since that's the case, then I'll have no problem with Sonic's new design.

5 minutes ago, Prof. Pickle said:

Green Hill is back for the millionth time (Thanks, Iizuka!)

Man who could've guessed that a Sonic movie would use the series' most iconic and well known location?

• Thumbs Up 7

22 hours ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

Since that's the case, then I'll have no problem with Sonic's new design.

Indeed, looks good to me.

I mean i would have been okay if they did the Alvin and the chipmunks style but Sonic needs to be Sonic

33 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

Indeed, looks good to me.

I mean i would have been okay if they did the Alvin and the chipmunks style but Sonic needs to be Sonic

You're way more tolerant than me and I salute you for that. I mean, I've never liked any of the live action redesigns of cartoon characters I've seen but if Sonic looks like this

23 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

I could live with that pretty easily, even if I have to tell myself to think of his quills like the thorns of a teddy bear cactus;
fuzzy from afar
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRUvhgYSnC48LJXUwmgXk
and dangerously spiky up close
468-0468x.jpg

to get over not treating his quills as quills.

Now though, if that is how he looks then it is just time for the movie to convince me that buddy cop is a good fit when Indiana Jones-like would have been so much better and truthful to Sonic's roots as an adventurer. Of course I still question why live action at all, but if the movie gives me a reason to give it a chance I will. Of course though I'm still going to have to deal with the embarrassment of trying to explain it to my dad when he inevitably sees the trailer when it finally debuts. By that won't be fun.

13 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

You're way more tolerant than me and I salute you for that. I mean, I've never liked any of the live action redesigns of cartoon characters I've seen but if Sonic looks like this

I could live with that pretty easily, even if I have to tell myself to think of his quills like the thorns of a teddy bear cactus;
fuzzy from afar
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRUvhgYSnC48LJXUwmgXk
and dangerously spiky up close
468-0468x.jpg

to get over not treating his quills as quills.

Now though, if that is how he looks then it is just time for the movie to convince me that buddy cop is a good fit when Indiana Jones-like would have been so much better and truthful to Sonic's roots as an adventurer. Of course I still question why live action at all, but if the movie gives me a reason to give it a chance I will. Of course though I'm still going to have to deal with the embarrassment of trying to explain it to my dad when he inevitably sees the trailer when it finally debuts. By that won't be fun.

Well my rationale is that for big screen movies design changes are acceptable as long as the spirit and the sense of the original is kept.

Sometimes this is good, again hate to say this but I liked the live designs for Alvin and the Chipmunks as I dont think the original design would have loaned itself to computer animation, even if they didnt decide to do live action.

And there is a good rational why some studios do chose live action as the limits of live action present a special challenge to animators especially CGI that has issues with the uncanny valley effect.

This prefects technique for larger budget films plus helps refine how certain aspects of character design are done.

Especially when it comes to fur, man is fur notorious in CGI for hard to do.

I mean it took til Zootopia to get that right and now that has been near perfected in the realm of animation it is time to see how live action will do.

This does lead to good places even if the movie is crap, even if the Sonic movie sucks at least they got a new model to play with for future movies featuring CGI animals.

Its the only real good side to bullshit like this, if the movie sucks yes it is a shame but some of the animators may hone in some skills to help them get jobs elsewhere so at least its a win for them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fair points. Sometimes as a consumer I get too involved with the product and forget the creative side and what can be gained from it. That said though, the last time a character with similar proportions to Sonic was adapted for a live action/CGI hybrid we ended up with the Garfield movies and we know how those were received. Of course though that is sometimes the problem with trying to tackle things that were obviously made as caricatures or with total disregard to realism in the first place; realism was never part of the design concept so something needs to give and that is usually where the creative decisions have a tendency of getting questionable. This might be one of the few times that Iizuka's input is to the benefit of the fans, though unless we see some of the early concepts that could be just a lot of hot air.

7 hours ago, Prof. Pickle said:

I know it's extremely unlikely but I just wish they would cancel this movie because I (and a lot of other people I'm sure) have no hope whatsoever that this movie will be good, or even so bad it's good. There apparently won't even be that many Sonic characters (in a SONIC THE HEDGEHOG MOVIE), the plot of the movie is a generic friendship/buddy cop plot where Sonic needs a friend even though he has his best friend he has known for over 25 years, Tails (seriously what is up with the Tails neglect SEGA?), Green Hill is back for the millionth time (Thanks, Iizuka!), and the mere fact that it's live action/CGI instead of fully CGI. Another reason why I wish for this movie to be cancelled is because the Sonic franchise (except for Classic Sonic) is in a rut and we really don't need this movie to ruin the franchise's reputation even more. I know for a fact that it's completly possible for the Sonic franchise to be good, it just needs to be run by more competent people who had experience with the Sonic franchise before (and Christian Whitehead)

Personally, I'd much rather have a movie based on the Sonic Boom TV show than this. (I know that's also extremely unlikely to happen but hey I can dream can't I)

Lol