Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

2 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Not for this sort of thing, no.

What do you mean by "This sort of thing"? This month we're getting Spider-Man and Mary Poppins for family movies. Especially Spider-Man I'd put into the same category as Sonic.

2 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Not for this sort of thing, no.

Well hmm. Sorry , i'm wrong. It is a major release period for studios putting films out to try and get some money out of projects they don't think will succeed . So you are right, technically

Spider-Man Mary Poppins and Star Wars are risky ventures now? Do yall just live in another reality?

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Marcello said:

What do you mean by "This sort of thing"? This month we're getting Spiderman and Mary Poppins for family movies. Especially the first I'd put into the same category as Sonic.

I wouldn't.

Spiderman is a thing sony seems like they actually want to make money on. Instead of something a studio commited to making and has now placed somewhere that they could possibly make some money off of families who need to settle their children

5 minutes ago, Razule said:

At this point, it could only look worse if it looked like this:

download-1.jpg

Honestly that is probably better. It's not how I'd want Sonic to look, of course, but it's more coherently semi-realistic, while movie Sonic so far looks like a buff, hairy little man wearing an overly detailed mascot head.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Chuckle 2

I tried to warn you guys for months. I tried to get you prepared for the fact that this movie is going to be it's OWN thing. And Sonic as he appears in the games looks like Snoopy's cousin. That was never going to work for a movie like this.

And I got a feeling they're sticking with the PG-13 approach, just from the poster is presented. Sonic looks amazing! I love his design!

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Wraith said:

Spider-Man Mary Poppins and Star Wars are risky ventures now? Do yall just live in another reality?

Are we seriously comparing that to sonic? You are optimistic, i'll tell you that.

Those aren't risky ventures, that doesn't mean sonic isn't being sent to die.

1 hour ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

tumblr_pjivx0B8hi1ud5l1to1_1280.png

I could see a part of his eye in that silhouette and I already have a bad feeling about what it'll be like.

I am reading, and I am internally weeping.
Who decided this movie HAD to be live-action. What was stopping it from being a Wreck-it-Ralph style or Pixar style animation. Fucking SEGA could have got Marza Planet to do this shit for them and it would have at least looked as good as Night of the Werehog.

This is baffling. Baffling because the gaming brand has pilloried its once decent reputation post-Generations through disasters such as Boom and now Forces, with Mania doing its best to keep it head held high with all the bullshit crumbling down around it. This movie can only be bad. It can only harm the franchise's reputation.

I fucking hope this nonsense gets cancelled, when some executive sees some goddamn sense.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Scar said:

I am reading, and I am internally weeping.
Who decided this movie HAD to be live-action. What was stopping it from being a Wreck-it-Ralph style or Pixar style animation. Fucking SEGA could have got Marza Planet to do this shit for them and it would have at least looked as good as Night of the Werehog.

This is baffling. Baffling because the gaming brand has pilloried its once decent reputation post-Generations through disasters such as Boom and now Forces, with Mania doing its best to keep it head held high with all the bullshit crumbling down around it. This movie can only be bad. It can only harm the franchise's reputation.

I fucking hope this nonsense gets cancelled, when some executive sees some goddamn sense.

Isn't Marza working on this movie though? I may be wrong but I hear so.

Just now, Mayor D said:

The reaction is now trending on twitter.... for it's reaction.

Divides?

This is just bad. Not bad, terrible. Horrific even.

Let us not forget that this is (technically) the second Sonic movie.

This is the OVA in 1996:
a-sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-is-happening_j2ts.jpg.fab0191b8265a1a48f8d4b281794027f.jpg

This is the 2019 movie:
3u0tmp9iag321.thumb.jpg.e44a55087f277cf5321efa5f7593b526.jpg

Why does it suddenly look worse than the fricking OVA.

Gonna remind everyone to keep it civil and follow the site rules. This news doesn’t change how we do things here. One image replies and snarky comments that add nothing to the discussion other than to get a rise out of others are still not allowed.

Let’s calm down a bit before things get out of hand.

• Thumbs Up 3

Does he have fingers instead of gloves? I can't tell but it looks that way to me. Very spindly looking. Kinda creepy.

This looks like a bad piece of Ken Penders art.

5 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

I tried to warn you guys for months. I tried to get you prepared for the fact that this movie is going to be it's OWN thing. And Sonic as he appears in the games looks like Snoopy's cousin. That was never going to work for a movie like this.

And I got a feeling they're sticking with the PG-13 approach, just from the poster is presented. Sonic looks amazing! I love his design!

I think Sonic looks bad, but the way the poster is PRESENTED is nice (as in, dark colors, an action stance) i like it for that.

But boy am i uneasy about the full reveal.

And now we've moved on the stage of calling the movie terrible because Sonic doesn't look like Mickey Mouse's brother in law.

I can't wait for this movie to spawn a franchise for the character. This design is actually marketable to a wider audience. Sonic actually looks like he can take a punch. Gone are the noodle limbs. And this looks wayyy better than the fan film 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Looks fucking hideous lol. What were they thinking?? Even looks like he’s going to have realistic hedgehog eyes yikes! D: 

Detective Pikachu is going to look (and most likely be!) SO much better than this! 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

You know what also doesn't work for a movie like this?

This design.

Because it's fuck ugly.

• Thumbs Up 8

I am actually laughing at people thinking that a 100 million + dollar movie will be canceled or "scrapped" just because some don't like the design of Sonic.

Thats not how it all works.

What don't we all just give a movie a chance?

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 2

2 minutes ago, Myst said:

I think Sonic looks bad, but the way the poster is PRESENTED is nice (as in, dark colors, an action stance) i like it for that.

But boy am i uneasy about the full reveal.

Don't give up on the movie, dude! We've been anticipating this for months and come on, let's be honest -- we both knew Sonic's design was going to change. Deep down, all of us knew.. 

• Thumbs Up 3

18 minutes ago, Dr Ryan said:

His eyes are clearly just going to be round black balls like real hedgehog eyes. You can see them stick out. If I had to get, the fur surrounding them will be white, and his eye brows will still be used for expression. No wonder Sega didn't like the fucking eyes!!

I truly don't understand why he needed any design changes beyond texture and more detail, however they try to justify it.

Having a hard time picturing how those beady eyes are gonna look in their true glory.. hope someone draws something at some point.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Razule said:

Even the guy who made the Realistic Sonic doesn't like it

You know you screwed up when your own fan art is the basis of your own character design in a movie

1 minute ago, PeterPancake said:

This design is actually marketable to a wider audience. Sonic actually looks like he can take a punch. Gone are the noodle limbs. And this looks wayyy better than the fan film 

I understand the point of the design being better than the fan film... but why you praise a bad character design for just (hopefully) a single film?

12 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Don't give up on the movie, dude! We've been anticipating this for months and come on, let's be honest -- we both knew Sonic's design was going to change. Deep down, all of us knew.. 

That doesn't mean we have to accept it. The design is garbage. It being "its own thing" is nigh-on a meaningless statement or observation. The Sonic the Hedgehog brand despite its major failings in years gone by, is fucking huge. This movie's existence in the form that its currently in, will only harm the already perilously positioned brand. Even if this movie is its own thing. Even if the game's continue to have nothing to do with it.

Why? Because its easy to take the piss out of the dumbest form of something. And this movie. This character design. This horrific visage of Sonic, will be the new focal point of that derision. In the same way that despite the excellence of the Nolan Batman Movies, Garbage like Batman and Robin are still remembered and laughed at.

But I guess SEGA is okay with letting this franchise continue to become a greater and greater laughing stock.

14 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

And now we've moved on the stage of calling the movie terrible because Sonic doesn't look like Mickey Mouse's brother in law.

I can't wait for this movie to spawn a franchise for the character. This design is actually marketable to a wider audience. Sonic actually looks like he can take a punch. Gone are the noodle limbs. And this looks wayyy better than the fan film 

For starters, there was very little chance this movie was ever going to be good. It would have been acceptable frankly, if it was simply forgettable actually. This will now become a meme. A legend to remind people to never take cartoon mascots and try and bring them into the real world. A reminder I thought wasn't necessary after the catastrophic error of judgement the Smurfs movie was. 

As for the design. Its straight up laughable. A design being cartoony or "Mickey Mouse's Brother in law" has no correlation to whether or not it can "take a punch". Sonic has been able to take hits in media for years just fine. And as for it being "marketable to a wider audience".... Well I'mma need to see some receipts. As I've said, Sonic's design is already iconic. The brand is already one of the most recognisable and marketable in the world. I mean its the reason the franchise hasn't died, despite all the calamitous disasters in its not too distant past. 

• Thumbs Up 6

6 minutes ago, Spooky Mulder said:

Does he have fingers instead of gloves? I can't tell but it looks that way to me. Very spindly looking. Kinda creepy.

This looks like a bad piece of Ken Penders art.

Well, he's always had fingers under his gloves /jk. Unless they're really tight gloves, I can't see where they would begin.