Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Alright, I guess I'm still a fucking idiot, here we go again.

So just for a moment I'm going to entertain the idea that no questions asked, this guy is completely legit in every way and you didn't completely deflect and/or ignore every single other point I've made so far.

Besides the fact that that "Sonic" still doesn't actually look good(no creature, cartoon or otherwise, should have pupils that bulge out of their sclera), going "well he drew Sonic once so it must be perfect" isn't actually an argument. He's said "yeah, it looks just like that!" to about a dozen different images, not all of which have a visual consistency, including the exact same one the other guy said looked "just like it" which according to you should discredit him.

Do you not see why this circular discussion is complete horseshit yet? You're not gonna get anywhere by taking the words of people we don't know anything about from a screening we haven't seen at an event we didn't attend over the images we've already been given and we already know look bad and we have no reason to expect better from and we have no reason to give any leeway when this film by all rights could have been executed properly if the people involved actually cared about what they were doing. You're constantly telling people that you have the definitive and perfect answer that this amazing movie will have this exact character design because some guy said so, when literally everyone else here knows that's bullshit. That's a "my uncle works at Nintendo" level of response. I feel like I'm in the Nostalgia Critic "well the chart says" gag every single time I reply to one of your posts. We can see what we've been given. It's a grounded, official source and we already know how most of us feel about it. It's a completely understandable prediction to say the face will look as un-Sonic and wrong as the body does, and won't justify that body nor be justified by it whether that ends up being true or not. The damage is already done. We already lost the "will Sonic look like shit"-roulette. Not only is the face unlikely to look good, it won't save a goddamn thing, because the best thing it could look like is exactly the same as the real Sonic's face, which isn't enough to save an awful design.

• Thumbs Up 6

Well, I will give the movie this much credit. It has done one thing right so far. It united the Sonic fanbase. Not in the way it wanted to, as the fanbase is united in hatred of this movie, but still. I don't think even Sonic Mania managed to bring the fanbase together this well.

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Chuckle 1
  • Absolutely 1

38 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

Well, I will give the movie this much credit. It has done one thing right so far. It united the Sonic fanbase. Not in the way it wanted to, as the fanbase is united in hatred of this movie, but still. I don't think even Sonic Mania managed to bring the fanbase together this well.

I don't hate it, and I've been part of the fanbase since 1991! (yes I'm old) neither does PeterPancake or Alexios31.

Also, being 'united in hatred' is nothing to be proud of. It just shows you to be a group of Squidwards.

This 'fanbase' is so toxic.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

17 minutes ago, Myst said:

I don't hate it, and I've been part of the fanbase since 1991 (yes I'm old) neither does PeterPancake or Alexios31.

3 people out of tons isn't saying much. And this is comng from someone who loved Forces and is in a small minority of people who didn't outright 100% adore Mania, so being in that "3 people" position isn't something I'm a stranger to.

Also, being 'united in hatred' is nothing to be proud of. It just shows you to be a group of Squidwards.

One, I was joking. Two, I never said it was anything to be proud of, so please don't put words in my mouth.

• Thumbs Up 4

30 minutes ago, Myst said:

I don't hate it, and I've been part of the fanbase since 1991! (yes I'm old) neither does PeterPancake or Alexios31.

I guess another way to look at it is: for some people, this movie hits a high enough standard they are happy with when it comes to Sonic, while others (myself included) are still holding Sonic to a higher standard and expect higher standards from things with his name on it.

• Fist Bump 1

34 minutes ago, Myst said:

We stand. United. We have to be the rays of sunshine: threads of hope.. In the void of darkness that is this thread. 

I've been super excited for this movie since 2014 when we found out it was being made. And I've always dreamed of Sonic getting the big screen treatment. That's why I'm always going to be positive about this movie. 

• Fist Bump 1

Actually, it's because I wanted Sonic to get a big screen treatment that I'm pretty negative about what we have now. Because I wanted Sonic to get a big screen treatment. I wanted something similar to the MCU, not in term of scale and financial power (the evocative power of Sonic isn't as big as the Marvel heroes), but in term of the love and the care put into it. If you look at the MCU movies, they are really adaptation of the comic-book universe. They change some things, they keep some roots of the universes. I love those movies. And I hopped to see something done like that for Sonic, as Sonic have roots to make the same basis of this movie (Sonic come on Earth). I mean, they have an Earth ! They have a universe that would be recognizable enough for anybody as it's rooted on our Earth, while still having some stuff that are interesting to use (that's why I'm hopping that they'll at least use GUN and stuff like that !).

TBH, I even got pretty hopeful at one moment, because with the movie using the same kind of basic concept from the franchise now (Sonic comes from another dimension/planet), they could have made some kind of prequell-y story that works well with the game universe while being usefull enough for a full-on movie. I've got so much ideas (many reusing some old unused stuff xD).

And for the moment the feeling I get is that they are creating a slightly Sonic treatment for a common big screen movie. I said that several time, but for the moment, the vibes I'm getting from this movie are DB:Evolution-esque. I don't say that to make an over-the-top comparison, but more to define what I fear most for this movie. For the moment, I get the impression that it's a common type of movie that they have slapped Sonic on it. TBH, for the moment the story they are selling to me doesn't looks made with the same type of love that the MCU have, or even Detective Pikachu. (I don't ask for it to be a 1:1 adaptation, but I feel that the universe could be more based on Sonic's own Earth, as it would be recognizable enough).

I haven't lost all hopes yet, though. I'm waiting for the trailers. And they can still make me happy : with a slightly "better-than-expected" design (basically, that doesn't manage like this one to be bland and with too much realistic details at the same time), with a good reuse of some concepts from the saga, with some good surprise or a right writing.

It's mostly that for the moment, I doesn't get the vibe I'll see a good blockbuster adaptation that'll make the Sonic universe more popular. I get the vibes I'll see a one that doesn't trust the IP it adapt, and that's tiring. And I'm really hopping for something to prove me wrong, because I like good blockbusters, and I don't get the feeling that Sonic is impossible to adapt in this format (even if I feel that a spectacular CGI movie like Unleashed Intro would have been the top, I'm also interested by adaptation that takes some risks).

Well, at least one things is a trustfull adaptation : it's Green Hill and Sonic-only, like most recent games */troll*

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

we have no reason to expect better from and we have no reason to give any leeway when this film by all rights could have been executed properly if the people involved actually cared about what they were doing.

Yes, THIS. THIS right here. This is what I keep trying to explain to people. "Why don't you just give it a chance?" they ask.

Because the people involved don't care, so, why should I?

Sonic currently doesn't have any sort of good will to warrant a "Wait and see" after Lost World, Boom and Forces. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that this isn't a movie being made from a place of love, care and devotion to the source material like say, Sonic Mania was, this is a movie trying to cash in on a trend that's been dead for a while now, going by the diminishing returns at the box office for the Alvin and the Chipmunks and Smurfs movies.

• Thumbs Up 3

18 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Sigh... Because having a cartoon in a LIVE ACTION movie with real people - would take people out of the movie. That's like Marvel trying to make Captain America Civil War with Cap wearing baby blue tights or Spider-Man wearing purple polka-dotted Lycra with yellow lenses in Homecoming. Live action is the main reason why he's not a cartoon. So the argument needs to evolve into "COULD" he have looked like a cartoon and sold to the general audience? Market research probably told Paramount the answer to that question.

That's pretty close to what we're gonna get and I kinda love it. Perfect blend of cartoon and realism. Sonic won't scare anybody if he looks that cute. Great for merchandise

That's a false equivalence. Sonic =/= Marvel/DC. Besides, did you forget CapAm's hilarious costume in Avengers 1? Spiderman may not wear a "purple polka-dotted lycra suit with yellow lenses", because as far as I'm aware that has never been his costume design. He's always worn a red and blue suit, and guess what, he wears a red and blue suit in literally every live-action movie he's in. Irrespective of how stupid it looks.

And speaking of "market research" you are aware of the movie Space Jam right? A live-action movie with actual cartoons in it, which grossed $230 Million in 1996. Ah yes, there is also this one movie which did something similar called Who Framed Roger Rabbit which grossed $330 Million in 1988 (which is $700 Million in today's money, adjusting for inflation). You act like a cartoon in a live action simply cannot work, when it has quite literally been done before, and to massive success at that.

Ah but of course, times change so maybe those films wouldn't be as popular today. I am willing to concede that, but you missed my point anyway. Why does the film need to be Sonic in the real world? Why must it be Live action? What is the need? The existence and apparent success of the Smurfs and TMNT and them being popular isn't really good enough for me, because neither of those movies were well received critically. And even though they were relatively successful; grossing around $500 Million each, neither of those movies can even begin to touch the critical reception or even commercial success of say...The Incredibles ($633 Million in 2004, inflation adj. $ 850 Million) or The Incredibles 2 ($1.241 Billion in 2018). I could list a fair few other Disney or Pixar productions in recent years that absolute shit on Live-action movie adaptations.

I know you keep saying those films are for kids, like that's somehow a bad thing...even though they tell stories with emotional depth hitherto unseen by any Sonic game ever created. And I know you keep comparing this Sonic movie to the MCU, but that is frankly, delusional. This movie is better compared to the likes of TMNT, or Smurfs, cause that's how the average parent who sees posters of it, are going to view the movie.

Maybe it will be a success...Maybe it'll break even at the Box office, or more. But that will never change my view that a fully animated film would probably have been better.

3 hours ago, Myst said:

I don't really like being talked down to in a way that suggests that my dislike of something I view to be bad, is somehow "toxic". Why should I be optimistic? Other movies that took this approach to bringing beloved franchises to big time Hollywood ended up being trash. Sonic's most recent endeavours haven't exactly been up to the mark.Do you expect me to sit down and keep quiet? This is a discussion board after all. A place where us fans can talk about things regarding a franchise we love(d). Not everyone can agree on everything, every time. I reserve the right to remain sceptical of everything I see, and I reserve the right to be critical of things I think deserve criticism. Just as you're free to like what you see, or be cautiously optimistic or whatever. You can even try to change my mind. That's the whole point of a forum.

• Thumbs Up 9

Just cause 99.9% of this fanbase hates a design that lacks any good traits and doesn't look like sonic at all and want better of this film doesnt make us toxic. It makes us fans with standards. 

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

I was really hoping you'd give me a better argument than screen time and role means less realism is needed in a live action movie as that is one of the shallowest arguments anyone could have given and undermines the question of whether or not the teams involved in their respective movies have any faith in their ability to sell something unbelievable to the audience. But even as shallow of a response as you provided you then just had to go and add on to that and effectively tell me that this movie truly is a faithless adaption. Don't see it? Let me explain by requoting you.

With this line you have said that Sonic's iconic design is for comic relief only, unappealing, and that he is incapable of being expressive and relatable which flies in the face of the franchise persisting for twenty-seven years with a very loud and creative fanbase that constantly talks about how Sonic has influenced their lives and/or how they are able to relate to him be it by projecting their own problems onto him or legitimately relating. But it doesn't stop there. You have managed to clarify why those involved with the film and all of the film's defenders constantly bring up movies starring humans, humans, and more humans and continuously fail to ever tell us to think Sonic; it's because all of their successes are movies staring humans so it's all they know how to do. They don't know how to tell a story and make an appropriate movie starring an impossibly fantastical entity and thus have elected to make him human in every way possible because it's what they know best and they have no faith in themselves to be able to sell a truthful vision of the character and his universe, that they have no faith that the franchise and source material can sell on it's own, and that they have no faith that the audience will buy a faithful adaption. They have no faith in themselves, the franchise, or the audience. With this one line you have managed to convince me that this movie is being made with all of no faith, the very definition of a faithless cash-grab.

Frankly that sucks, because the Sonic franchise is my favorite and it somehow manages to push back my depression which is probably why I want to give this movie a chance. It's likely why I keep interacting with you, the movie's biggest defender here as you seem to possess a genuine love of what this movie is selling, but with that one line you have managed to make yourself look more like a troll than someone who actually does love it that much.

And don't come at me with your typical well he needs to be a human being to be relatable to the general audience argument because that is a inherently wrong, or have you somehow missed the title character of Detective Pikachu during our exchanges. In case you haven't noticed he's a rodent who looks like a rodent and even moves around like a rodent and is treated in universe as anything other than human. Yet despite that, in one singular trailer they have shown us that they want us to relate with him, not by discarding everything and anything about Pikachu, but by showing us his feelings and short comings with well written dialog and blatant examples. We know from the trailer that he is alone and suffering from feelings of loneliness and has no where to belong even with his fellow Pikachu's but as no human's understand him either he is completely isolated and experiences joy at meeting someone who understands him. And that Mr. Mime scene you said is only for comic relief, well for a scene taken seriously in universe according to trailer and highlighting Detective Pikachu's pride and short temper as character flaws that get the better of him I find it hard to believe that scene is purely for comic relief regardless of the presence of noodle limbs. It shows that the Detective Pikachu team has faith in their ability to sell a non-human product, that they have faith in the franchise and source material to be successful, that they have faith that the general audience will buy their story regardless of the absurdity of the concept. That is in start contrast to the Sonic movie team who has no faith in their product, no less you who in their attempted defense has managed to sound like IGN when they said that Sonic was never good. And if you don't see that you claimed that Sonic as he was designed is unexpressive and unrelatable, and that he can't succeed without a grossly unnecessary "realistic" redesign let me quote you again.

Yet, despite your absurd claim, here we are over 27 years after this franchise was created on a forum dedicated to, made by, run by, frequented by, and for fans of this very franchise that apparently is not expressive, relatable, appealing,  or capable of being successful without a live action Hollywood adaption that ignore everything but the most basic of aspects of the franchise, it's history, and what makes it loved in the first place. I love this franchise and would have loved to see it represented on the big screen but that isn't happening and you have just told me that it shouldn't due to not being relatable, expressive, appealing, and capable of succeeding as what it has already succeeded as. So at this point either your wrong, a troll, or I'm a meter tall hedgehog from another dimension where Sonic is real. If that sounds absurd then you might want to reevaluate your argument but because that is how absurd it is coming across. And frankly, I hope you do, because I love this franchise and want to give this movie a chance and I don't believe that your are a troll, but rather that your passion that you have demonstrated so far is genuine. Give me a reason to believe and give this movie a chance. Stop telling me to think about human starring movies about human stories, and how directors,writers, and producers who specialize in human everything can't sell me a movie about a meter tall anthropomorphic hedgehog without turning him into a human being as well. Stop trying to sell me on a Sonic the Hedgehog movie by telling to think about and weigh as evidence everything but Sonic the Hedgehog. Don't tell me Sonic can't succeed as he has for 27 years because it tells me that you as well as the production team has no true faith in this franchise or movie. Give me a reason that, I, a fan of the source material all the way down to and most especially the design of Sonic the hedgehog for 27 years can have to give this movie a chance.

Dude, you deserve a FREAKING AWARD! This is one of the MOST well thought-out arguments I've seen in my life.

15 hours ago, Unidus said:

It shows that he's letting all this stuff get to him. He could have just blocked people and not posted that status. Makes him a target.

Hmph.

At least he gave a fair warning.

12 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

So you're just going of what other people have said and not your own eyes? 

Hey, at least one of those people could very well be a fan or at least pretty familiar with what Sonic looks like.

3 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

I was really hoping you'd give me a better argument than screen time and role means less realism is needed in a live action movie as that is one of the shallowest arguments anyone could have given and undermines the question of whether or not the teams involved in their respective movies have any faith in their ability to sell something unbelievable to the audience. But even as shallow of a response as you provided you then just had to go and add on to that and effectively tell me that this movie truly is a faithless adaption. Don't see it? Let me explain by requoting you.

With this line you have said that Sonic's iconic design is for comic relief only, unappealing, and that he is incapable of being expressive and relatable which flies in the face of the franchise persisting for twenty-seven years with a very loud and creative fanbase that constantly talks about how Sonic has influenced their lives and/or how they are able to relate to him be it by projecting their own problems onto him or legitimately relating. But it doesn't stop there. You have managed to clarify why those involved with the film and all of the film's defenders constantly bring up movies starring humans, humans, and more humans and continuously fail to ever tell us to think Sonic; it's because all of their successes are movies staring humans so it's all they know how to do. They don't know how to tell a story and make an appropriate movie starring an impossibly fantastical entity and thus have elected to make him human in every way possible because it's what they know best and they have no faith in themselves to be able to sell a truthful vision of the character and his universe, that they have no faith that the franchise and source material can sell on it's own, and that they have no faith that the audience will buy a faithful adaption. They have no faith in themselves, the franchise, or the audience. With this one line you have managed to convince me that this movie is being made with all of no faith, the very definition of a faithless cash-grab.

Frankly that sucks, because the Sonic franchise is my favorite and it somehow manages to push back my depression which is probably why I want to give this movie a chance. It's likely why I keep interacting with you, the movie's biggest defender here as you seem to possess a genuine love of what this movie is selling, but with that one line you have managed to make yourself look more like a troll than someone who actually does love it that much.

And don't come at me with your typical well he needs to be a human being to be relatable to the general audience argument because that is a inherently wrong, or have you somehow missed the title character of Detective Pikachu during our exchanges. In case you haven't noticed he's a rodent who looks like a rodent and even moves around like a rodent and is treated in universe as anything other than human. Yet despite that, in one singular trailer they have shown us that they want us to relate with him, not by discarding everything and anything about Pikachu, but by showing us his feelings and short comings with well written dialog and blatant examples. We know from the trailer that he is alone and suffering from feelings of loneliness and has no where to belong even with his fellow Pikachu's but as no human's understand him either he is completely isolated and experiences joy at meeting someone who understands him. And that Mr. Mime scene you said is only for comic relief, well for a scene taken seriously in universe according to trailer and highlighting Detective Pikachu's pride and short temper as character flaws that get the better of him I find it hard to believe that scene is purely for comic relief regardless of the presence of noodle limbs. It shows that the Detective Pikachu team has faith in their ability to sell a non-human product, that they have faith in the franchise and source material to be successful, that they have faith that the general audience will buy their story regardless of the absurdity of the concept. That is in start contrast to the Sonic movie team who has no faith in their product, no less you who in their attempted defense has managed to sound like IGN when they said that Sonic was never good. And if you don't see that you claimed that Sonic as he was designed is unexpressive and unrelatable, and that he can't succeed without a grossly unnecessary "realistic" redesign let me quote you again.

Yet, despite your absurd claim, here we are over 27 years after this franchise was created on a forum dedicated to, made by, run by, frequented by, and for fans of this very franchise that apparently is not expressive, relatable, appealing,  or capable of being successful without a live action Hollywood adaption that ignore everything but the most basic of aspects of the franchise, it's history, and what makes it loved in the first place. I love this franchise and would have loved to see it represented on the big screen but that isn't happening and you have just told me that it shouldn't due to not being relatable, expressive, appealing, and capable of succeeding as what it has already succeeded as. So at this point either your wrong, a troll, or I'm a meter tall hedgehog from another dimension where Sonic is real. If that sounds absurd then you might want to reevaluate your argument but because that is how absurd it is coming across. And frankly, I hope you do, because I love this franchise and want to give this movie a chance and I don't believe that your are a troll, but rather that your passion that you have demonstrated so far is genuine. Give me a reason to believe and give this movie a chance. Stop telling me to think about human starring movies about human stories, and how directors,writers, and producers who specialize in human everything can't sell me a movie about a meter tall anthropomorphic hedgehog without turning him into a human being as well. Stop trying to sell me on a Sonic the Hedgehog movie by telling to think about and weigh as evidence everything but Sonic the Hedgehog. Don't tell me Sonic can't succeed as he has for 27 years because it tells me that you as well as the production team has no true faith in this franchise or movie. Give me a reason that, I, a fan of the source material all the way down to and most especially the design of Sonic the hedgehog for 27 years can have to give this movie a chance.

Yeah i think for once you are and i are on the same page here Sonic Fan J

I mean really why is this movie live action?

Why cant it be completely animated?

This really does smell like a lifeless cash grab than anything legitimate and something that will benefit the franchise.

I mean i can get behind adapting a franchise for western audiences, I nominally dont have an issue with this.

Sure it causes a divide but at the same time appealing to other sensibilities is a necessary evil.

But totally changing everything about this franchise for the sake of a live action film really is ludicrous.

It was different in the 90's when the series had no established mythology, this is why we got Archie and SatAM like them or hate them they were a side effect of appealing to a non Japanese audience at a time when anime was scarce in America.

But this is a whole other level and there is no reason for this movie to exist in the form it does.

When animated movies are having a renascence, sure not all are hits but a lot of animated films have had wild success in the last decade.

A live action movie does not add up at all, when you had other movies made in the last 5 years that were animated hitting it huge.

Frozen, Incredibles 2, Zootopia.

The fucking Minions movie

Why really why, fuck hollywood.

• Thumbs Up 4

13 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Do other people not have eyes as well? They said his face is more on the cutee side. One of them even said they want a Sonic plushie 

Your silly second hand anecdotal evidence impresses no one. 

10 minutes ago, Osmium said:

Do other people not have eyes as well? They said his face is more on the cutee side. One of them even said they want a Sonic plushie 

This question eerily sounds similar to what that guy said at Blizzcon during the Diablo Immortal fiasco.

Yeah, with realism as the design process, it does make me doubt how they'd handle iconic Sonic staples that have been present throughout. Assuming they'd even bother to include them. Like the loop de loop.

5907aba61c00003c00e82aa9.jpg

Natural ones are rare and almost never perfectly round. Building a road with one would be just plain dumb. The only logical choice I can think of that would make sense is if a scene plays out at a theme part or circus.

To be honest, I'd love to see moments in the movie with Sonic snowboarding down a mountain, maybe being chased by a truck and facing off against Dr. Eggman in a giant mech.

It's just hard to picture it with the direction they've chose to take. I wish they'd just show Sonic as he'd appear already, it would release all this doubt that I'm having.

As @Polkadi~♪ said, first impressions are important. We're told we shouldn't judge a book by it's cover but it's practically an unconscious act. We can't help it. It's up to them to prove us wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope we get the Sonic equivalent of this scene from Man of Steel:

These arguments are draining.

@Sonic Fan J First thing's first. I'm not a troll, I'm just trying to communicate in the most simple, fluid way -- a possible reason for why Mr. Mime looking the way he does is not applicable to Sonic. That character does not even talk. Yes, Sonic has been a noodle-limbed cartoon for 27 years and been relatable since then. But live action is a completely different, uncharted territory that Sonic has never traversed. And when we talk about the fact that the audience would have a hard time relating to a cartoon - I am referring to the fact that Sonic would take people out of the movie trying to relate in any semblance of seriousness. What you have to take into account is the fact that this movie is going to be a Blockbuster (Likely PG-13) action film. You can not tell a serious story with a character that is to perform "badass" feats and be seen as edgy and cool with a character  does not even fit into it's environment:

bb2.gif

How could anybody take it seriously in any way at all?

Do you think people would have taken ET seriously if he looked like a cartoon and not a living, breathing creature? Mr. Mime is not meant to be taken seriously like Sonic, ET or any other character that is meant to emotionally connect to the audience. This is why the "Sonic has always looked the same, why did he have to change now?" Argument falls flat to me. Those stories were set in a CARTOONY world where the art style/characters were made to fit Sonic. This movie Is placing him in an environment with other people, so he had to adapt to them instead. 

Now If they wanna tell a story about cartoon animals existing In the real world and make that abstract concept the grand thesis of the movie like Roger Rabbit then yes, they should totally use the game design. And if they didn't, I'd be right there with you complaining about the fact Sonic should NOT look realistic in a G-Rated kids movie aimed at 6-9 year old kids. But this movie is on a higher playing field and striving for something closer to Paramount's other adaptations of Nostalgic properties so Sonic has to adapt to the story they are trying to tell. 

I fully expect the tone of this movie to be Bumblebee/Amblin-esque 

Mixed with something like Infamous Second Son to reflect Sonic's edgy, adventurous, rebellious, lovable asshole personality he's gonna have in this movie. Like Delsin Rowe

16 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Do you think people would have taken ET seriously if he looked like a cartoon and not a living, breathing creature? Mr. Mime is not meant to be taken seriously like Sonic, ET or any other character that is meant to emotionally connect to the audience. 

Sonic isn't meant to be taken seriously like ET, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Now If they wanna tell a story about cartoon animals existing In the real world and make that abstract concept the grand thesis of the movie like Roger Rabbit then yes, they should totally use the game design. And if they didn't, I'd be right there with you complaining about the fact Sonic should NOT look realistic in a G-Rated kids movie aimed at 6-9 year old kids. But this movie is on a higher playing field and striving for something closer to Paramount's other adaptations of Nostalgic properties so Sonic has to adapt to the story they are trying to tell. 

Hang on, are you saying Who Framed Roger Rabbit was a movie made only for little kids? Because it was rated PG and considering it featured a character like Jessica Rabbit, I'm surprised it only got that. But...it was a different era.

19 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Mixed with something like Infamous Second Son to reflect Sonic's edgy, adventurous, rebellious, lovable asshole personality he's gonna have in this movie. Like Delsin Rowe

Also, I don't think Sonic is supposed to be edgy. That label had only ever been given to Shadow and more recently, Infinite. Unless your talking about a Sonic story that is edgy, that would be different.

But still, thinking that an animated movie can't tell a serious story is a very hollow way to see things. Any media can tell any type of story with the right people as visionaries. Though the west are usually the ones reluctant to expand on the potential of animation, only labelling it for children while occasionally making ones targeted at an adult audience.

Just now, Diogenes said:

Sonic isn't meant to be taken seriously like ET, though.

This is what it boils down to, so now we're narrowing in on the core of my argument. This depends on which version of Sonic you're talking about. Because in a show like SaTAM, Sonic was meant to be more than just a wacky cartoon Hedgehog. Same goes for the Archie comics. Sonic Adventure duology. And it also hinges on your definition of "serious". Because is certainly a more serious character in general than someone like Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny, multiple writers have even tried to flesh out his backstory and make him more than just an edgy archetype. Giving him an actual character.  But at the same time, he's nowhere near as serious as something Christopher Nolan's Batman. It doesn't matter how ridiculous the surface of the franchise is, Sonic has veered into so many different genres of fiction that it's factually Incorrect to say he's not/never been a serious character. 

Sonic In this movie was compared to ET by the filmmakers. It's about a creature who is feeling lost and alone, needing somebody to lean on in his time of crisis. So yes he is like ET. Or, at least he is now. So think about how a movie like "ET" would have been recieved if the creature looked like this:

how-to-draw-et.gif.8280529720b7ab39e7c7acd0ebc63f25.gif

instead of this:

ET-The-Extra-Terrestrial-Gallery-7.thumb.jpg.613b6deb64511bb5349d1811481181ca.jpg

And now apply your conclusion to that hypothesis, to this Sonic movie.