Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

4 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

So,  a mod just told me to cut down the posting of my drawings because they would like to keep the topic more of a discussion. So, this will be my last drawing that I will post in this thread. However, that does not mean I won't be in this thread anymore. So, I'm not going anywhere. It's just that I will no longer be able to post my drawings here anymore. However, that's ok. I like to discuss. I could still post my pictures by starting my own art topic in the Showcase section if I feel like to. So, maybe, I might do it one day in the future. Who knows? My apologies if I did anything wrong.

That's a shame.  Amid the ugliness of this thread, I have nothing but respect for the positivity and creativity you bring to it.

• Thumbs Up 7

3 hours ago, FFWF said:

That's a shame.  Amid the ugliness of this thread, I have nothing but respect for the positivity and creativity you bring to it.

Thanks. I drew these to show what the movie could be like. It’s fun to speculate what scenes that the movie could have. It was fun while it’s lasted. Anyway, I just can’t wait for the first trailer to be released.

Maybe, we get our first look of the movie around February or March? Who knows?

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Thanks. I drew these to show what the movie could be like. It’s fun to speculate what scenes that the movie could have. It was fun while it’s lasted. Anyway, I just can’t wait for the first trailer to be released.

Maybe, we get our first look of the movie around February or March? Who knows?

Well I did just make a video discussing when the trailer might release, going by the most recent Tweet from the official Sonic Movie Twitter account.

So, this guy say that we gonna to get a trailer soon. Should we believe him?  He have the hashtags insidedeets and secret, which could mean that a trailer could be coming very soon.

If this is true, then we should expect one maybe probably next month.

Also, somebody made a better version of the poster. Would you guys prefer this, if this was the real one.:

• Thumbs Up 4

11 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

So, this guy say that we gonna to get a trailer soon. Should we believe him?  He have the hashtags insidedeets and secret, which could mean that a trailer could be coming very soon.

If this is true, then we should expect one maybe probably next month.

Also, somebody made a better version of the poster. Would you guys prefer this, if this was the real one.:

Well I'm still going to say March until proven wrong. But that is a really good edit, I'd much rather see that. A LOT more.

Tbh that edit kinda drives home Tim's point about the game design not looking natural in the real world. That doesn't look right 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

Neither does the other one, so what's the problem?

They're both gonna stand out anyway.

At least the other one looks like it belongs in the same environment. The noodle legs just doesn't work. It's a cartoony art style that clashes with reality 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

At least the other one looks like it belongs in the same environment.

Noooo. That's inaccurate.

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

Noooo. That's inaccurate.

Anatomically more accurate than the classic design. Like a real animal as Tim put it

Yes, he does. No animal that run anywhere as fast as Sonic would have twig legs. Several fast running animals in the wild have developed thigh muscles 

Let's be real. It's not realistic but that's going with the assumption that it's supposed to be real. 

However, in a live action setting you need some established rules of reality or go full in on the ridiculousness. Two of my favourite movies (and I'm not joking here) are just live action cartoons and they're completely ridiculous even for being live action films. 

I mean really. 

You go off and do the most ridiculous CG landscapes that get twisted in perspective to emulate the anime. 

And this is nothing short of being stupidly loving with the source material. 

Live action cartoons are a common thing. Comic book movies are an extension of those of sorts. But I mean if we're going to look at the closest thing Sonic's going to resemble here? 

SonicFox_EVO_2018_Costume.jpg

It makes perfect sense why they're going more realistic. The formalism shouldn't get lost in the realism of Sonic's design and yes, I know it's technically more surreal and exaggerated but I think you get my gist here. There has to be a balance. They could have gone a Roger Rabbit/Golden Age Live Action Cartoon Hybrid shorts, but they didn't. Frankly, I'm not sure why they would. CG characters these days are extensions of that kind of art form. 

wild3.0.jpg 

I mean, sure. I guess some of the charm may get lost in translation. Some people don't like Spike Jonze's Where the Wild Things Are because they would have preferred an animated movie. I kind of disagree and thought the movie was a beautiful talk about self growth like the book was. I mean, Naoto Oshima brought up a great point about Sonic that even the current heads at Sega just don't understand. Sonic is a lot like Mickey Mouse and Felix the Cat. I'm not sure how I feel on the fairy part, but the overall vibe of Sonic being an immortal icon is all justified. 

But admittedly, I'm really not hating the idea of all of this. I mean, I am an animator and want a lot more hand drawn animated movies. But admittedly, I'm not too mad about this. I mean, shit, I've seen a lot of things from this series and Sonic tends to flourish in film pretty well. I mean, admittedly this could go down the route of being a Warcraft or a Rampage with the latter being the high point and Detective Pikachu looking to outdo those both. 

I think it's going to be okay. At worst it's going to be a movie that's fun to riff on. I just hope it isn't boring is the problem now. 

• Fist Bump 1

5 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

1. Its 10 months to release so trailer probability naturally increases as time passes.

2. We are about 2 weeks away from the biggest trailer event of the year

3. It either comes soon and they can say they were right or it doesn't and they can make a claim of changed plans.

7 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

The noodle legs just doesn't work. It's a cartoony art style that clashes with reality

Because a giant anthropomorphic blue hedgehog that can talk and run at the speed of sound doesn't clash with reality...

Sorry, but it's just hilarious that that's where you cross the line: the legs.

• Thumbs Up 3

16 minutes ago, Alexios31 said:

I think we will get a teaser in February. 

Sounds about right. Quick TV Spot with the Super Bowl, then the full reveal trailer with Lego Movie 2.

Maybe we'll get a new poster before then.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Myst said:

Sounds about right. Quick TV Spot with the Super Bowl, then the full reveal trailer with Lego Movie 2.

Maybe we'll get a new poster before then.

Yessir!

I can't wait until we get the full reveal :)

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

At least the other one looks like it belongs in the same environment. The noodle legs just doesn't work. It's a cartoony art style that clashes with reality 

It's more that reality clashes with Sonic.

If Sonic was never designed to fit in a realistic environment, then realistic environments aren't for Sonic. It's a connection that cannot be made, because it was never supposed to be made.

This is where most of the concern for the film comes from, stemming from the moment it was announced as a live action CGI hybrid. So many things about the aesthetics of the franchise, from it's surreal psychedelic environments and rubber-hose manga animals, do not translate to our vision of reality. The reaction to Sonic's healthy supple thighs are a part of that; it's not translating something that isn't reality effectively, because we never interpreted it as a real thing that could exist.

If an animated or comic property is designed as an extension of reality, translating it becomes natural. Superhero films excel in that factor. Otherwise, the connection is difficult to make.

• Thumbs Up 5

9 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

I actually find that to be a big improvement.  Because the proportions are no longer human, then there's no longer the same uncanny valley effect; even the legs being absurdly far apart doesn't seem quite so ridiculous.  It looks more like a cartoon character with a live-action backdrop rather than a weirdly mutated and unfashionable human.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, LongcrierCat said:

At worst it's going to be a movie that's fun to riff on. I just hope it isn't boring is the problem now. 

At worst, it’s gonna be a video game film that, like 98% of the others, is shit with few positive things to discuss. At best, it’ll be bad/painfully meh, but forgettable and won’t drag the franchise any lower. Like, I honestly don’t see how people are actually more optimistic for a Sonic film vs other game films, when the games can’t even find decent footing.

• Thumbs Up 3

Found this fan made version of the poster. This could give us a closer look of how Sonic could look like in the movie.:

el_rostro_de_sonic_la_pelicula_by_ben_artmachine_dcxdbpu-pre.jpg

What do you think? Looks ok. He still look like Sonic to me.

Source

• Thumbs Up 4