Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

I don't see them delaying the movie to work on the design just because fans are upset, what is done is done, so I'm not sure what this feedback is about. If a trailer is coming possibly in April, shouldn't a teaser come sooner?

• Thumbs Up 3

9 hours ago, do a barrel roll said:

Well this could mean that their listening to the fans and we might see some small changes to the design. Which I think 9-months is plenty of time to make some small changes. That is if this Tweet is implying that.

Plus another thing about his redesign. For some strange reason he appears taller than in the games. Which I'm hoping they stick to his game height.

lol they're not going to change a thing.

Come on people, the movie has finished filming, the final designs for the characters have been sent to license holders, what are they going to do?

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Mayor D said:

Come on people, the movie has finished filming, the final designs for the characters have been sent to license holders, what are they going to do?

They'd have to retool the design and send new assets to any license holder who is making promotional tie-in for the movie. All of the current material would have to be thrown out of the window.

The design is not going to change. It just is what it is 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

I don't need fucking clairvoyance to know I'm going to think this movie is shit. I knew that from the moment they had the complete level of idiocy to announce that it was a live-action/CG mix instead of a fully animated movie, the only thing Sonic has any place being.

Didn't think I'd post in here again anytime soon, but I think a lot of people shared your sentiment. How many I can't say as hearing it was going to be a CG hybrid mostly made me weary. It wasn't until the plot details started coming out in the mishmash of a mess that they did that I started to dread what this movie was going to be. Then the motion poster teaser pretty much made me feel sick to my stomach and killed any and all hope I had for this movie with the hairy leg poster driving that point further home. I'm honestly fearful of the final reveal of the movie design because if the silhouette and some hairy human legs can leave me feeling that sick... well I'd rather not think about.

Speaking of human legs, I know that the idea is for a more realistic design, but is Sonic supposed to be an animal, a mutant, a human, or an alien? If the first then there is no animal that runs that stands like and is bipedal like human beings. If the second then what's the point of even implying that he's from another world since at that point you might as well go full hog TMNT ripoff, though that would probably be a more series accurate plot. But if it's the third, and with what little of the design has been shown why even bother doing Sonic himself. Just make a Sonic Man movie as then you can actually focus on the plot and main character without having to humanize everything so the audience can "get it". Honestly, if you don't think your audience can grasp the product then stop before you start and don't waste the money, invest in something you know the audience "gets". Banking on Sonic's name in this day and age is just the height of foolishness to me and I love this franchise. Before I forget though, let me address the alien possibility since there seems to be hints that Sonic is an extra dimensional alien in this movie and if that's true, why bother humanizing him in the first place. If he's an extradimensional alien who needs rings, which are known to allow him to survive impossible situations, then just add urgency to the whole supposed ring plot by having Sonic require rings just to stay alive while in the "real world" due his impossible anatomy by our laws of physics and biology. In that way you add urgency and tension to the plot and make the rings pretty darn valuable and important. Of course though you probably would have to disregard the whole befriends a human plot since that urgency would keep Sonic on the move like in Secret Rings and no "real world" human could ever keep up with him if he was in that much of a hurry seeing as he get's his name from his running speed.

Honestly, every time I break down my problems with this movie in any way it just astounds me how broken it appears. I kind of can't wait for the first trailer to drop just so I can be disgusted enough like I was with Dragon Ball Evolution to avoid this movie like the plague.

Its has happened before that incorrect toys have been put out for a film because of a change made in production too late for the toy company to do anything about it. http://www.thelogbook.com/toybox/star-trek-generations-action-figures-1994

I wouldn't expect much to change on the Sonic model they will have planned shooting around those proportions. They could alter something minor like putting the stripe on the shoe similar to how the reactions to Alita caused a small alteration to the eyes. Although I doubt they would spend extra money on this.

• Thumbs Up 3

23 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Banking on Sonic's name in this day and age is just the height of foolishness to me and I love this franchise. 

I hate to make this comparison, but do you realize how successful the Smurfs and Alvin & the Chipmunks live-action movies were? Those were long dead franchises and kids still came in droves because it had cute CG characters.

Kids today are at least somewhat familar with Sonic (thanks to his appearances on Nintendo platforms) and if Paramount goes with the Build-A-Bear style Sonic used in the 'Fast Friends' poster then I'm sure lots of little kids will enjoy it.

I'm honestly hoping for better than Smurfs. I'm just saying, this still has potential to make money simply because of the cute cartoon angle that appeals to children. Sonic's games not being well recieved by critics will have no bearing on the movie because this is a narrative story, not a gameplay experience.

And as much as the fans complain, they are going to be there day one.

Frozen 2 is the only real concern at the moment for the movie's chances of success.

• Fist Bump 1

You know, again for all of the talk about animation never working - and I'm aware it doesn't fully fit in - you know what's like, really similar to these bad video game adaptions, and have been brought up time and again?

TV Show Adaptions

Alvin and the Chipmunks, the Smurfs, Scooby-Doo, Yogi Bear, The Last Airbender, Cat in the Hat, Dragon Ball Evolution, need I even go on? They're all infamous in how absolutely terrible they all are. And for a lot of the same reasons often times cited for why people worry about the Sonic movie - bad redesigns, forcefully trying to shove an animated character with a unique style into "live action", a really cliched plot, total missing of the original point of the source material, and that's not even mentioning the massive bucket list of usual Paramount fuck-ups that we don't know for sure will happen but it's very possible - I.E toilet humour, forced adult jokes etc. 

But you know which TV Show adaptions are typically praised as good, if not great? 

Cowboy Bebop the Movie, a wide amount of the Dragon Ball movies, South Park Bigger, Longer and Uncut, The Simpsons Movie, all four of the DtV Futurama movies, or if you really want to try spin the usual "kids" argument, then there's also both Spongebob movies (No, the second doesn't count as hybrid given the wide majority of it is animated), Batman Mask of the Phantasm, Ducktales the Movie, A Goofy Movie,  or hell, if you want an example of a good video game adaption, there's also Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva.

All of those had in common several things - including sticking to the franchise's core identity, unique style, and giving far bigger budgets to the things people already liked in the TV show version, they all had their original creators involved so that they remained true to their given franchises' standard of quality, and all of them didn't try to forcefully alter or change what drew audiences towards their source material in the first place. Where the bad adaptions try to standardise and make things as safe as possible, whilst completely missing what made the source material unique, fun, or stylish, the good ones embrace it, and strive to give a better quality than what had been produced in the show, whilst remaining true. 

Even going back to the Professor Layton example - it literally takes all of the elements of the game, including music, animation, and runs wild with it, to the point they set up puzzles exactly like the game and everything else, and surprise surprise, it turns out what people liked with the games actually can carry over to a film, especially in animation.

• Thumbs Up 7

I have to admit, I wonder what they could possibly do with the fan feedback... I really doubt they're gonna change anything at this point.

Plus, the way the marketing for this movie has gone... to me, it feels like they're playing into all of the drama and having a biiiit too much fun with it. I still think they're kinda trolling the internet, and when the final design IS revealed, it's not gonna be anywhere near as bad as people think it is, and then the Sonic Twitter and the like are gonna have more fun with that as well.

1 hour ago, PeterPancake said:

They'd have to retool the design and send new assets to any license holder who is making promotional tie-in for the movie. All of the current material would have to be thrown out of the window.

Mmmhmmm...

And how much money do you think they'd have to compensate those groups for any and all work currently done which now as to be thrown out?

4 minutes ago, Myst said:

I hate to make this comparison, but do you realize how successful the Smurfs and Alvin & the Chipmunks live-action movies were? Those were long dead franchises and kids still came in droves because itgad cute CG characters.

Kids today are at least somewhat familar with Sonic, and if they go with the Build-A-Bear style Sonic used in the 'Fast Friends' poster I'm sure lots of little kids will enjoy it.

I'm honestly hoping for better than Smurfs. I'm just saying, this still has potential to make money simply because of the cute cartoon angle that appeals to children. Sonic's games not being well recieved will have no bearing on the movie because thisis a narrative story, not a gameplay experience.

And as mych as the fans complain, they are going to be there day one.

Frozen 2 is the only real concern at the moment for the movie's chances of success.

Right now though with the supposed aim of a PG-13 rating and the constant references to the production crews experience with R-rated and PG-13 movies it seems like they have a serious misunderstanding of who they're audience is supposed to be. The movies that you bring up were both PG movies and the Smurfs themselves were  actually source material accurate in their designs which already makes them a different beast from this movie. So right now unless this movie really has a change in implied tone and intentions it actually really isn't meant for kids. Of course that makes it all the more confusing since it also isn't meant for fans. It's meant solely for the nebulous and soulless general audience, whoever that actually is.

Now all of that said, if the movie does attracts kids and at least makes back what it cost I wouldn't be surprised if they actually make a sequel. In fact I'm kind of dreading. Honestly, my idea outcome would be for the movie to be such a loss of face for SEGA for greenlighting it and shilling out the license that they do what happened with Dragon Ball where Akira Toriyama pulled himself back into Dragon Ball to make sure the fans got something good and to redeem the brand after that disgrace. Considering how enjoyed Dragon Ball Super: Broly has been, I'd say that something good came out of Evolution and that is kind of where my hopes currently lie. It's unlikely, but it would be kind of nice for this movie to be so disgraceful to SEGA that they actually turn around and put in the effort to make something to redeem the brand end up with something great.

7 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

I don't see them delaying the movie to work on the design just because fans are upset, what is done is done, so I'm not sure what this feedback is about. If a trailer is coming possibly in April, shouldn't a teaser come sooner?

Or unless, maybe they have another model ready in case of the backlash or perhaps they could pulled a Metroid, well you know, scrap everything and start over, which I doubt that is going to happen.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Mayor D said:

Mmmhmmm...

And how much money do you think they'd have to compensate those groups for any and all work currently done which now as to be thrown out?

Millions. The cost of rendering and manufacturing their products. The only alterations I could see them making on the design are minor ones. And by minor I mean the difference between this 

CaptainAmerica_Avenger1.png.14eea7a1b882108eb5559d0ad7a219cd.png

And this 

0ac03aba89dee301e753792ec960d98a.thumb.jpg.3594510fa4ea2ca454a16a275988f864.jpg

Or the new Alita movie for example

alitabattleangel-sidebyside-eyesfixed-700x300.jpg.643437f1615c8c42aba10de32985327a.jpg

A complete design overhaul will never happen unless they delay the movie by another 8 months and completely redo all of Sonic's scene with a new model and this will cause the budget to balloon up, wayyyy past the original 90 million that was reported. 

The idea that this design was a "fake" one used to test the waters is honestly laughable. That poster has been showing up in multiple theaters around the world. And I found the poster cutout of Sonic's legs in MY theater! The design is not fake. Anybody thinking that is the case is still in denial about the whole thing 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

12 hours ago, Myst said:

I think this tweet is indicative that a redesign is incoming. If so, Paramount might possibly delay the movie.

I think this tweet is just cheap PR move to get a positive talk going again. Show fans a picture of key figures posing together, tell everyone fan feedback is considered, boom, positive buzz sent.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1
  • Absolutely 1

Regardless, if the movie is bad, I’m still probably going to see it.

I think the general public doesn’t really care of how Sonic will probably look like except fans.  I’m not sure if the movie will be a box office success or a flop, wouldn’t be surprised if it was either. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Mayor D said:

they're gonna add a section after the credits where they take the piss outta fans voicing genuine criticisms about the questionable design and you'll goddamn like it

5 minutes ago, Ayliffe said:

they're gonna add a section after the credits where they take the piss outta fans voicing genuine criticisms about the questionable design and you'll goddamn like it

Well, it happened before (Star Wars, Ghostbusters), but I don't think they're that stupid...tho who knows anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, if they did that after the credits... but kept it only to those who were going waaaay overboard with their hatred for the design... I'd be more than fine with that. xDD

• Thumbs Up 1

Credits might be the only place that has a more traditional design if they choose to do some stylised animation for the first part of the credits.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don’t hate on Peter Pancake for defending the movie. Some of us here are actually excited to see the movie and are tired of all the negative talk. 

Bravo Peter, keep up the good work. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

On 1/25/2019 at 10:40 PM, Razule said:

Isn't the movie done filming at this point? How much could feedback possibly do?

"Thanks for the feedback. We used that shit to wipe our asses though."

I'm imagining Sonic Team asking for feedback on Sonic 06 the day before it's about to release. "Thanks for that. We'd change those problems but we already shipped the game."

2 hours ago, Alexios31 said:

Don’t hate on Peter Pancake for defending the movie. Some of us here are actually excited to see the movie and are tired of all the negative talk. 

Appreciate it, man! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, Alexios31 said:

Understandable, it’s just that we all just tired of the argument of why Sonic needs to be realistic for the movie. Regardless, I’m still excited to see the movie despite the controversy of the design. I’m hoping he doesn’t looked creepy after all, once we get our first look of the movie.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Absolutely 1

34 minutes ago, Alexios31 said:

All the more power to you. It'd be awful if you let the people who are not happy with what they see ruin the experience for you.

As for me and @PeterPancake, the last interaction I specifically had with him was trying to get him to sell the movie to me and explain why noodle limbs were fine in one movie and not the other. As a fan of the franchise I want to give the movie a chance but the production team has not convinced me, the PR and marketing teams haven't even tried yet, and @PeterPancake's attempts at that point did not but make me lose more faith in the movie as his arguments did not more than make the movie seem like it was being made without any faith in anything. Not the product, not the franchise, not themselves, and not the audience. The audience is an even worse point as I keep being told that the target audience is a nebulous entity known as the "General Audience" but that I as a Sonic fan am not included in this undefined demographic. But then I'm told that their will be Easter Eggs for the fans leaving me more confused than ever. The movie is at once targeted to an undefined "general' audience, not for the fans, but also possessing material for the fans. Who exactly is this movie for? I can't for the life of me figure that out and that is honestly frustrating. So no, I don't mean to give anyone a hard time about this movie, but I've yet to hear anyone sell Sonic and not the production team or concepts far removed from the franchise. @PeterPancake is one of the most passionate people anywhere I've seen about the movie and it is why I turned to him to sell me the movie. To date he hasn't pulled it off and that is perhaps all the proof I need that this movie isn't for me, just like I've been told before. Frankly that plain sucks. I don't know about you, but at the very least I think the fact that so far this Sonic movie has only made the vocal fans extremely bitter sucks as it makes threads like this one a place to express disdain about a franchise we are all supposed to be fans of. That isn't the result that anyone should be aiming for.

Anyway, let me stop my tirade there as I know you would rather soak in the movie as a good thing and I've no right to try and make you feel otherwise. That said though, @CaptainRobo is another of the ones here staying positive and deserves some recognition for their contribution to the thread as well. They've even gone so far as to provide the most updates about anything involving the thread in the most timely of manners helping keep us all up to date on the happenings of the movie. That's pretty awesome in itself as well. Again, don't let my negative outlook weigh you down, and @PeterPancake apologies if I've been too harsh on you as well. I've definitely let my passion for the franchise and distaste of how Paramount is treating it color my actions and I need to seriously reign that in if I'm going to continue to partake in discourse around the movie.

• Thumbs Up 4