Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Again, Live Action Sonic wasn't the ideal for this thing, but I'm willing to see where this goes. I've been here through a lot of shit and haven't bought a Sonic game besides Sonic Mania in the last several years but I've kept up with everything. I'm a huge fan and I'm here to see what they do. I mean, they've done worse things to Sonic, a weird live action movie feels tame at this point. I honestly hope it's weirder just because I want this to either be surprisingly good or a really weird bad movie. I mean, Venom was a bad movie but it had enjoyable stuff to it. 

I'm 25 years old and I don't really want to be bitter about this anymore. I mean, Detective Pikachu looks good for a live action Pokemon movie (a lot better than was expected) so I feel like there could be a chance. Even if I as an animator am still rolling my eyes about them not doing a fully animated film even when we're kind of living in a time of animation saturation besides the comic book movies. I mean these are big effects driven shows. Animators make a lot of these films worth watching and I mean Bumblebee is a good movie that looks like a live action version of the animated series finally after years of Bay movies. It was always going to be easy to make the G1 Transformers look realistic. 

I mean yeah, does the idea of realistic Sonic rub me wrong? It can. There's good ideas to be had but so many ways to do it wrong. I think a lot of people shitpost a lot with bad takes on Realistic Sonic but I think it could be done well. I'd like to think it's done well. Yes, that's naive, but I don't really care right now. I've seen a lot of years of negativity and contributed enough on my own. I'm kind of done with it for now. I have bigger priorities. 

20 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Wait, you work with Sega once? I didn't know that. Interesting. Did you work on some comics with them? Just curious.

I haven't worked on the comics (in an official manner) but yeah I did the storyboards for Richard Kuta's Sonic fan film and we tried a lot to get that project off the ground. There are times I think we should have rewrote that thing to make it more of a current day Archie Comics styled Sonic movie over the SatAM heavy thing it was. Those are days that... I don't miss. 

I try to be a hell of a lot more friendly with Sega now even if I have huge creative disagreements with them. I'm still kind of bothered that my favourites got the axe from the comic because of the reboot but Sega's going to Sega. What can I do. At least Ian Flynn still writes good character dialogue and knows how to play with his toys. He's doing the best he can and the artists are having fun now that the comic got into it's groove. So I'm okay with it even if it's not Archie Sonic. 

Again. Bigger priorities. Other series to watch. If this at least turns out to be a dumb goofy fun movie then I'm good with it. I mean, video game movies are getting a lot better and seem to be learning to accept the ridiculousness if movies like Rampage and Detective Pikachu are anything to go by. I mean, yeah, kids don't deserve to be talked down to, but I think we're getting better about that if Spider-verse was allowed to be as mature as it was and super accurate to its source material if not better

There's a long screed or two I could have. I'm just tired and not willing to get into it. I want to know if they had fun making this and if I can have fun watching this. Sonic Boom still ended up being a fun show and everyone was worried about those designs at first but it ended up being legitimately funny. I'm waiting to judge on this. 

• Thumbs Up 3

22 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

All the more power to you. It'd be awful if you let the people who are not happy with what they see ruin the experience for you.

As for me and @PeterPancake, the last interaction I specifically had with him was trying to get him to sell the movie to me and explain why noodle limbs were fine in one movie and not the other. As a fan of the franchise I want to give the movie a chance but the production team has not convinced me, the PR and marketing teams haven't even tried yet, and @PeterPancake's attempts at that point did not but make me lose more faith in the movie as his arguments did not more than make the movie seem like it was being made without any faith in anything. Not the product, not the franchise, not themselves, and not the audience. The audience is an even worse point as I keep being told that the target audience is a nebulous entity known as the "General Audience" but that I as a Sonic fan am not included in this undefined demographic. But then I'm told that their will be Easter Eggs for the fans leaving me more confused than ever. The movie is at once targeted to an undefined "general' audience, not for the fans, but also possessing material for the fans. Who exactly is this movie for? I can't for the life of me figure that out and that is honestly frustrating. So no, I don't mean to give anyone a hard time about this movie, but I've yet to hear anyone sell Sonic and not the production team or concepts far removed from the franchise. @PeterPancake is one of the most passionate people anywhere I've seen about the movie and it is why I turned to him to sell me the movie. To date he hasn't pulled it off and that is perhaps all the proof I need that this movie isn't for me, just like I've been told before. Frankly that plain sucks. I don't know about you, but at the very least I think the fact that so far this Sonic movie has only made the vocal fans extremely bitter sucks as it makes threads like this one a place to express disdain about a franchise we are all supposed to be fans of. That isn't the result that anyone should be aiming for.

Anyway, let me stop my tirade there as I know you would rather soak in the movie as a good thing and I've no right to try and make you feel otherwise. That said though, @CaptainRobo is another of the ones here staying positive and deserves some recognition for their contribution to the thread as well. They've even gone so far as to provide the most updates about anything involving the thread in the most timely of manners helping keep us all up to date on the happenings of the movie. That's pretty awesome in itself as well. Again, don't let my negative outlook weigh you down, and @PeterPancake apologies if I've been too harsh on you as well. I've definitely let my passion for the franchise and distaste of how Paramount is treating it color my actions and I need to seriously reign that in if I'm going to continue to partake in discourse around the movie.

Thanks for the appreciation. I just want to feel optimistic, but the design kinda hurt my interest in watching this movie a bit . I'm still going to watch the movie despite the controversy. It may ended up to be a fun and decent movie. Who knows?  I'm hoping Sonic won't ended up looking scary. 

So, anyway,  if anybody want to check my movie art thread, it's right here. Feel free to check it out and post any movie related fan art if you created and have any. I can't post any of my work in this thread anymore, so that's why I create my own art thread.:

Oh, also, check this fanmade trailer. It’s look and feel like a real trailer.

BTW, I found this list of countries' release dates, It's sound like Russia getting the movie first, while Japan getting it next year.:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3794354/releaseinfo

Russia will still get it first by timezone but it should technically be out on the 7th in the US for Thursday night previews from about 6pm.

So a fun revelation was had tonight. 

I was talking to my besties and was going on long screeds about the Sonic lore and how the Sega of Japan manual stories are a lot more complex than the American stories. So my friend and I landed on this thing about the movie having the U.S. government kidnapping animals. It started as a simple joke. 

To which I expounded and said yeah, what if Robotnik is working with the Government to use animals for his research and Badnik project to hunt Sonic down and bring him in? And you know? That actually sounds like it could be good and give a reason why Robotnik has a base of operations in this version of the story. 

And his ultimate goal in all of this is to study Sonic and build Metal Sonic for the Act 3 climax. And now that that's all in my mind, the movie suddenly sounds like it could be surprisingly good. It actually works

At best, if I turn out to have predicted this, at least I get to say I called it. 

• Thumbs Up 6

2 hours ago, Alexios31 said:

We really just need a full reveal. This is getting out of hand. 

Yea, I agree, this is getting way out of control, we need the trailer fast.

• Thumbs Up 3

Very much agreed. But hey. Hedgehog Day is coming up. And the Superb Owl comes the day after and that's a good time for reveal trailers, sooooo~ 

I'm just saying it'd be perfect timing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

As much as I am hoping to see what they've been hiding this weekend I doubt its the kind of film that they would spend 5 million on an advert for.

Trailer track is reporting that Paramount has a trailer for Wonder Park scheduled for the Super Bowl. I think that kisses any chances of a TV Spot for Sonic goodbye. As already mentioned, $5 million is a lot of money. 

Maybe we'll get the teaser with Wonder Park, Avengers Endgame, or possibly during the Kid's Choice Awards.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Myst said:

Trailer track is reporting that Paramount has a trailer for Wonder Park scheduled for the Super Bowl. I think that kisses any chances of a TV Spot for Sonic goodbye. As already mentioned, $5 million is a lot of money. 

Maybe we'll get the teaser with Wonder Park, Avengers Endgame, or possibly during the Kid's Choice Awards.

Well, they have doubts on the trailer releasing during the Super Bowl, and anytime sooner.:

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Found this poster in Hebrew, just like the Mexican poster, the title just means Sonic the Movie.:

LOL at the fact Sonic's signature 3 quills seems to be incorporated upside down in the P looking letter.

Seeing those posters in a different language, I wonder how the logo looks in my country(Thailand, use Thai Language)

Actually, I envision Sonic movie logo in Thai language before. But without iconic Sonic quill incorporated in the font. here...

(THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL, IT'S FANMADE, WHICH IS ME.)

โซนิค = Sonic
เจ้าเม่นสายฟ้า = Lightning Hedgehog (เจ้าเม่น = Little Hedgehog, สายฟ้า = Lightning, Thunder)
The reason for this definition is Thai people mostly know Sonic by the definition "Lighting-fast hedgehog" from the Thai version of Sonic X.

I'm gonna wait and see an official logo in Thai version. and compare it. ;-)

According to this guy, he say that the movie would be released in Japan this year, although, IMDB say that the movie will be releasing in Japan next year. I don’t know, anybody can edit on IMDB.

BTW, found this Russian poster, but it is low quality.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/30/2019 at 8:52 PM, Alexios31 said:

I still wonder if Sonic will be driving that green car?

That's probably most likely possible, since the guy driving the SUV is wearing an green screen suit. Sonic is an CGI character. I think it's feel weird to me that Sonic would be the one driving the SUV.

• Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

That's probably most likely possible, since the guy driving the SUV is wearing an green screen suit. Sonic is an CGI character. I think it's feel weird to me that Sonic would be the one driving the SUV.

Could be Eggman, if their using some CGI for him. But it'd still be odd for him to use a vehicle like that.

4 hours ago, keksy said:

Before official release of teaser  i have made classic sonic from Sega MD Sonic 2 posters.

I think they could of do something like that too...

https://skfb.ly/6AJDO 

image.thumb.png.866f0a8f8f029190bbb86e7441c0cd2c.png

*Flashbacks of the Sonic fan movie*

23 minutes ago, keksy said:

i'm not a fan of sonic's long hair (fur) or big thin porcupine spines

I don't think anyone could ever make a Sonic design where he has fur that I'd like, classic/modern body proportions or not. In basically every game we ever had, they never showed him having fur, they in fact went out of their way in some instances to make it seem a lot more like skin.

Plus, let's say he has fur...does this mean his skin is beige colored on his entire body like on his muzzle and stomach? So does this make his eyelids beige colored again like in the earlier designs?