Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

So, the writer, Patrick Casey, also responded to another question. One fan asked him, if Sonic’s friends will appear in the movie. Patrick respond by saying that they have to wait and see. I think they will eventually probably appear. 

Also, Alexios31, I know. I was thinking there might be a possible chance that Sonic’s reveal could happen there. Who knows?

• Thumbs Up 1

Look if we're going to talk about fan mock up designs we may as well link some more here with some stuff I don't remember seeing talked much about here.

This is cute. The first one reminds me of 80s/90s character designs from Nelvana and Disney at the time. 

15490555874232069405629253338662.jpg 

1549055613294699276330993025010.jpg 

Look at this dude. I'd watch a movie about him. 

Also, I know this is a big troll of a tweet, but... 

I really love how SquigglyDigg draws him. I'd hang out with this dude. Besides, she has to deal with upset Turtles fans who don't like Rise (for silly reasons like April being black now, oh shock and horror) so the Sonic shit is nothing new to her at all. 

And I mean. He's fun to look at. Really fun to watch even. Also, Blur animates characters with so much personality even with motion capture footage. I think even if the movie is a flop that it will be some fun to watch. 

Then again, I'm a mad scientist of an artist. And like a great woman in a Spider-Man movie said, "I just can't wait to watch." 

1 hour ago, LongcrierCat said:

Look if we're going to talk about fan mock up designs we may as well link some more here with some stuff I don't remember seeing talked much about here.

This is cute. The first one reminds me of 80s/90s character designs from Nelvana and Disney at the time. 

15490555874232069405629253338662.jpg 

1549055613294699276330993025010.jpg 

Look at this dude. I'd watch a movie about him. 

Also, I know this is a big troll of a tweet, but... 

I really love how SquigglyDigg draws him. I'd hang out with this dude. Besides, she has to deal with upset Turtles fans who don't like Rise (for silly reasons like April being black now, oh shock and horror) so the Sonic shit is nothing new to her at all. 

And I mean. He's fun to look at. Really fun to watch even. Also, Blur animates characters with so much personality even with motion capture footage. I think even if the movie is a flop that it will be some fun to watch. 

Then again, I'm a mad scientist of an artist. And like a great woman in a Spider-Man movie said, "I just can't wait to watch." 

The left one is really great. I hope his face looks like that 

So, SXSW teased something Sonic related. There will be announcement for that tomorrow. You think we will finally get a trailer there?

• Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

So, SXSW teased something Sonic related. There will be announcement for that tomorrow. You think we will finally get a trailer there?

Unfortunately I don't think it will be anything movie related. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/3/2019 at 10:17 AM, Alexios31 said:

I hope Sonic looks like this:

a0vsc1.jpg

That actually looks cool, but the face isn't emotive enough.  It's the sort of face I'd accept Shadow having if he was in this movie but I want Sonic to have a face closer to his normal design's.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Rabid-Coot said:

Wait and see the no without the immediate backlash.

Quite possibly.

Then again, if he had said yes, he'd immediately be hit by questions of which characters, which if answered in turn would likely prompt a lot of mourning about how ugly they're going to look.  

16 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Any idea when this “announcement” is happening?

18 minutes ago, Alexios31 said:

Any idea when this “announcement” is happening?

Today. Its just a panel date and time thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

It’s seem that the movie will be delayed to next year in France.

BTW, I discover this on Twitter. I think they looked pretty cool! What do you guys think?

I know someone's already posted this but this was my initial feeling on what Sonic would look like based on that teaser image. The green beady eye which would obviously be surrounded by white fur.

Maybe this doesn't actually look *too* bad? I mean if this is  what we did end up with. A game style design would blatently be better though.

I guess we'll find out soon enough!

IMG_20190206_143425.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, Dr Ryan said:

Maybe this doesn't actually look *too* bad?

I feel like this should be the motto of the franchise at this point.

• Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 5

1 hour ago, Dr Ryan said:

I know someone's already posted this but this was my initial feeling on what Sonic would look like based on that teaser image. The green beady eye which would obviously be surrounded by white fur.

Maybe this doesn't actually look *too* bad? I mean if this is  what we did end up with. A game style design would blatently be better though.

IMG_20190206_143425.jpg

Love it.

2 hours ago, Dr Ryan said:

IMG_20190206_143425.jpg

I'm not fond of it but I could easily see it being close to the final result. The only reason I'm personally not too sure of it is the constant dialog I hear around how they want Sonic to be very expressive and right now this pic doesn't sell me on a great deal of expressive range. That, and it just doesn't feel thematically in line with the silhouette to me. It feels to fragile in comparison to the build of the silhouette.

I'm doubting that we'll see any of Sonic's friends show up. Paramount wants to make sequels, and well, it wouldn't be smart to throw all the shit at the wall at once and leave nothing left for those sequels.

Of course, that's also operating under the assumption that they have any fucking clue what they're doing so maybe I'm being too generous.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

3 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

Of course, that's also operating under the assumption that they have any fucking clue what they're doing so maybe I'm being too generous. 

Far as I can tell all Paramount really wants is the brand recognition to make a quick buck off of with sequels in the pipeline if they succeed at that from the get go. Other than that they really have no care for the source material despite everyone involved speaking to the contrary to try and sell more tickets, so don't be surprised if they try to use "Easter Eggs" and "Sonic's friends" as bait to lure you in. Honestly, I kind of wish they were more honest with that but that isn't how you sell tickets so it will never happen.

Speaking of selling tickets, that's the part of the movie where I feel like they don't have a clue what they are doing following SEGA's recent examples of Sonic advertising. It's a horrible approach and being so self depreciating before you even have anything to show for it doesn't make a lot of sense. Even Sony with Venom embracing the memes around the movie to advertise wouldn't have worked if the movie hadn't already spawned those memes while being a successful ticket seller. Right now Paramount just seems unsure of their product and like they have no faith in it. I may not like what they are selling myself, but darn it would go a long way for them if they took pride in their product and advertised with such. Right now they are just being self depreciating with the creative staff talking about the movie being aloof or defensive and it just doesn't look good to me. I hope they turn this around soon since I don't think relying on negative word of mouth to create curiosity to fill seats in the hopes of people liking what they see and spreading the word to fill more. Any publicity maybe good publicity but I think hype sells more tickets than dread and morbid curiosity.

23 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

I feel like they don't have a clue what they are doing following SEGA's recent examples of Sonic advertising. It's a horrible approach and being so self depreciating before you even have anything to show for it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Maybe they're hoping people won't able to resist seeing this trainwreck of a movie unravel in front of their own eyes? I mean seeing your once favorite childhood video game character go down in flames on the big screen for the first time is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

• Absolutely 1

My gut is still telling me that they're trolling the internet with everything they're doing, especially with how they're embracing the memes about the posters and kinda laughing along with everyone else... I dunno, it REALLY feels like they're gonna eventually reveal what Sonic looks like, and it's gonna be nowhere near as bad as the internet freak-out and rage made it seem, and so then those types of people end up looking like the silly ones?

That's just what my gut is telling me... it feels like everything is gonna be more-or-less fine, and they're having fun toying around with the internet's outrage and reactionary ways in the meantime.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Nicky Nicardo said:

My gut is still telling me that they're trolling the internet with everything they're doing, especially with how they're embracing the memes about the posters and kinda laughing along with everyone else... I dunno, it REALLY feels like they're gonna eventually reveal what Sonic looks like, and it's gonna be nowhere near as bad as the internet freak-out and rage made it seem, and so then those types of people end up looking like the silly ones?

That's just what my gut is telling me... it feels like everything is gonna be more-or-less fine, and they're having fun toying around with the internet's outrage and reactionary ways in the meantime.

My gut is telling me they're just not that deep.

I just can't imagine them spending 90 million on a production then letting the marketing side spend however many more millions on something just to get a negative reaction from fans which will be picked up by the press and then show up in searches and be referenced in future coverage.

• Absolutely 1