Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

2 hours ago, Tarnish said:

Would the studio even allow him to say negative things about the movie so much before release?

Yeah there is no reason to trust pre-release opinions as anything more then building hype in order to get people to go to it. I've even seen enough movies basically lie about the general opinion of their film on release week with TV ads saying stuff like "many critics say they love it!" ...only for people to find out couple weeks later most critics hated it. The TV ads just cherry picked the highest reviews to showoff in those cases.

50 minutes ago, Jack the Shadow said:

Is this possible? Did they finish all the editing and CGI stuff ALREADY?

Probably an early cut, no way they finished everything 10 months before premier. 

How this will likely go:

> Reactions are positive

> Movie supporters think this is a good sign and the movie is immediately amazing

> Fans claim this is not to be trusted because those who saw it don't know a thing about Sonic

> Discussion and controversy arise.

My name is Silver the Hedgehog. My future is in ruins thanks to the movie.

Spoiler

Disclaimer: Sorry. It's a joke. Nothing against people's beliefs.

• Chuckle 1

22 minutes ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

Probably an early cut, no way they finished everything 10 months before premier. 

Companies screen early cuts all the time. Nothing new.

10 minutes ago, Jack the Shadow said:

How this will likely go:

> Reactions are positive

> Movie supporters think this is a good sign and the movie is immediately amazing

> Fans claim this is not to be trusted because those who saw it don't know a thing about Sonic

> Discussion and controversy arise.

My name is Silver the Hedgehog. My future is in ruins thanks to the movie.

Reveal hidden contents

Disclaimer: Sorry. It's a joke. Nothing against people's beliefs.

To be fair, I wouldn’t be surprised if this DOES end up happening.

1 hour ago, Jack the Shadow said:

Is this possible? Did they finish all the editing and CGI stuff ALREADY?

I've seen trailers months before they are released for early feedback. There's a mix of more polished scenes and unfinished ones in those. The screening will be the same but on a larger scale.

56 minutes ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

Even if they would of, it'd still need polishing up and probably some editing/adding of some CGI elements here and there to finish it up if they see need to. Wouldn't see it as complete not when the filming was done a few months ago

6 hours ago, Tarnish said:

Would the studio even allow him to say negative things about the movie so much before release? I'm not a movie buff, but usually before release everyone 'has' to praise the upcoming movie to heaven and back, and it's always after the theatrical run that we get the stories of 'Yeah, this movie ran into this and that problem'.

Probably has never played a game, nor knows much at all, about the franchise, like most people I meet these days.

7 hours ago, Tarnish said:

Would the studio even allow him to say negative things about the movie so much before release? I'm not a movie buff, but usually before release everyone 'has' to praise the upcoming movie to heaven and back, and it's always after the theatrical run that we get the stories of 'Yeah, this movie ran into this and that problem'.

Okay, he is definitely close to them so he's not objective, likely. But still, it's a reliable source. And if the movie sucked he could have... You know, not mentioned it AT ALL. Those are my 2 cents.

2 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

Okay, he is definitely close to them so he's not objective, likely. But still, it's a reliable source. And if the movie sucked he could have... You know, not mentioned it AT ALL. Those are my 2 cents.

Or he could have been paid to say it. I hear that's been happening with a lot of "professional" critics.

The movie itself is likely nowhere near close to being complete - often times producers/editors/whatever will make a proper "cut" of the movie for screening purposes and for general editing (this is called a workprint) and the like before final polish and CGI work has been done. This has also been how several of the last massive movie leaks in the past two decades have occurred, the workprint being found and leaked onto the internet weeks before the final release. Wikipedia has a list of movies that had their workprints leaked before their release, including X-Men Origins Wolverine, Star Wars Ep 3, Hulk, etc.

For an example of what a workprint would look like, and what that would mean for Sonic's CG in this movie, here's an example of the unfinished CG work in Wolverine - 

So if anything is actually being shown for the Sonic movie, it's likely a very early rough cut like above.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

Forgot this topic existed, so I might as well post this here since I did it in the statuses.

"Do you believe God stays in heaven out of fear of what he's created here on Earth?" ~ Big the Cat, 23XX

As low as my expectations are and will likely continue to be for the film I don't think we should be treating the slightest hint of positivity as some bribary conspiricy.

3 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

Or he could have been paid to say it. I hear that's been happening with a lot of "professional" critics.

It was just a positive mention. Not PR promoting the movie.

No it's not, the implication of critics being payed to say good things is about as common a narrative as you can get.

Not to say that's TRUE, but he's probably not right either way.

Somebody would have outed movie studios if it was really a thing that happened. Hell Sony had their stuff hacked and nothing like that was found.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was joking. I need to stop being sarcastic when I type. I apologized (none of this was sarcasm either).

But anyway I'm more curious about the reactions for this screening if anything. Not really a tiny comment some critic made about what he HEARD.

We don't have to be 100% negative about everything Sonic if it's not Mania. We can hope and say it's too early to judge because... Well, it is. We can also say the movie has competent people working on it, it's not just Taxman and fans who know Sonic well. Literally the only bad thing I've heard/seen so far about the movie is the silhouette, and that's not even the full design.

We don't have to be positive in all things Sonic either, I know I'm not even though it may look like, it's never been easy, in fact I'm full of doubts about this, but I truly want Sonic to get good again, is that bad?

IMO if this movie wants to win both critics and audience, it kind of has to bank on the right humor, which includes self-irony, plus it has to go crazy, the obvious meta humor which Sonic does well, I guess... Memes, the official twitter may post only that but it has proven popular. So a mix of Deadpool and the TV equivalent would be DC's Legends of Tomorrow, both these things managed to win over the critics and fans, so a mix of crazy and fun, but also it has to be written well. Then comes the action, but I don't doubt there will be considering the scenes we know have been shot, plus it comes from the producers of The Fast and the Curious, so...

I dunno, I repeat, I'm worried but I think it's in good hands, writers, producers and obviously the artistic cast is amazing, they chose people who can act. I do think this movie will try to do its own unique thing and try to go outside of the "cartoon character in a real world with a white guy friend" I still think there will be cringy stuff but also emotional stuff, and of course action. Maybe. It has a lot to prove right now, it has to break this freaking cliché and be more like Marvel's "Guardians of the Galaxy".

4 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

it kind of has to bank on the right humor, which includes self-irony, plus it has to go crazy, the obvious meta humor which Sonic does well, I guess... Memes, the official twitter may post only that but it has proven popular. So a mix of Deadpool and the TV equivalent would be DC's Legends of Tomorrow,

Sadly this is what I hate: when something is going with what's popular instead of what it used to be known for (tho in Sonic's case, momentum based gameplay wouldn't transfer into a movie anyway). If they do go in that direction then this movie would 1000% be not for me, since I both hate what they do on the official Sonic social media channels, and I wasn't impressed by Deadpool either at all (I felt it was way too overrated, way too silly for my taste).

At this point, the only hope that I had left for the movie is a trailer. That is when we see some real footage of the movie. It might made me more interest in watching the movie or not. I have to wait and see when that trailer drop one day. I’m hoping the trailer will prove me wrong, that Sonic will not look creepy and awkward as seen in the teaser poster.

BTW, Here’s is a cool animation of Sonic speeding by Tom’s police car. SquigglyDigg recently finished this. Looks cool!!

Oh, the director of the movie love it.:

• Thumbs Up 3

12 hours ago, Tarnish said:

Sadly this is what I hate: when something is going with what's popular instead of what it used to be known for (tho in Sonic's case, momentum based gameplay wouldn't transfer into a movie anyway). If they do go in that direction then this movie would 1000% be not for me, since I both hate what they do on the official Sonic social media channels, and I wasn't impressed by Deadpool either at all (I felt it was way too overrated, way too silly for my taste).

Well it has to try to please somebody, and hopefully it's the vast audience. Like it or not (not sure for me) but the social media stuff is more popular than the actual game news they post there, sadly. But as I said, you kind of have to do self-irony to make it work, AND taking the plot seriously as well, with emotion, and obviously focus on the badass action. Both things, it needs to be a lot of things.

It will have cringy moments, they just need to somehow make it work. This is why I used GotG and DC's Legends as examples, they are a lot of things, and it works.

Plus in that specific part of my comment that you quoted, I was talking specifically about the humor, self-irony is quite popular. Jokes don't have to be the full movie (hopefully not).